Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
LakeTimes

Default Towing a boat with beam over 8' 6"

Serious contemplating getting a boat that has a beam of 9' (28 ft bow rider). From what I understand the law only allows you to tow a boat with a beam of 8' 6" without a permit (no matter the size of the towing vehicle).

Do people do this often and have you had any issues towing without a permit?

I will only probably put it in Newfound, Winnisquam, Squam and Sunapee outside of Winnipesaukee maybe a combined total of 5 times a year...

Other general boating forums online seem to give a consensus that they will only really hunt you down if you're over 11 ft or so, but wasn't sure people's experience on here.

My concern with the permit is that you then have certain hours you can and can't tow - for example can't' tow on holidays, tow at night etc. (again, read this in forums, but not sure how accurate it is). Secondly, any idea to the cost f a permit (believe it's annual).

Any and all thoughts welcomed. Thanks!
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
Ms Molly McKever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc19 View Post
serious contemplating getting a boat that has a beam of 9' (28 ft bow rider). From what i understand the law only allows you to tow a boat with a beam of 8' 6" without a permit (no matter the size of the towing vehicle).

I will only probably put it in newfound, winnisquam, squam and sunapee outside of winnipesaukee maybe a combined total of 5 times a year...

Other general boating forums online seem to give a consensus that they will only really hunt you down if you're over 11 ft or so, but wasn't sure people's experience on here.

My concern with the permit is that you then have certain hours you can and can't tow - for example can't' tow on holidays, tow at night etc. (again, read this in forums, but not sure how accurate it is). Secondly, any idea to the cost f a permit (believe it's annual).

what if you get in a fender bender with out a permit ? You won't be going anyplace with out licence.
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC19 View Post
Serious contemplating getting a boat that has a beam of 9' (28 ft bow rider). From what I understand the law only allows you to tow a boat with a beam of 8' 6" without a permit (no matter the size of the towing vehicle).

I will only probably put it in Newfound, Winnisquam, Squam and Sunapee outside of Winnipesaukee maybe a combined total of 5 times a year...

It's only a problem if you're caught. We could all tell go ahead and do it but as they say "we have no skin in the game". Personally I might risk it if it was once in and once out a season. What you're suggesting is 5 times the risk.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Just get the permit--as someone else mentioned, it's a risk without it.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
brk-lnt

Many people tow boats that are technically over-width all the time. Odds are in your favor, but you do run the (slight) risk of a ticket, so beware of that.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
Woodsy

My advice would be to pull the permit..... or just rent a boat on the other lakes.

If you fail to pull the permit and something bad happens.. your fault or not, you can find yourself in serious trouble and open to liability. I wouldn't want the SP/DOT climbing up my ass for lack of a simple permit. Tow vehicle not rated for the GVW, improper trailer brakes, failure to display proper signage... etc etc

Woodsy
Old 05-31-2017, 02:21 PM   #7
SAB1

Agree with Woodsy here. Especially in todays "I'll Sue" world we live in. Get in an accident and a party in the other vehicle is seriously hurt or worse yet dies and I think the DOT could be the least of worries..........
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:47 PM   #8
LakeTimes

Agree with everyone's comments. I'm always one to buy the insurance as I just don't want to deal with the risk and time needed if something was to happen.

That being said, does anyone have the rules and regulations as to when you can or can't tow a boat? Heard there are parameters like - can't tow on holiday and holiday weekends, etc. etc. etc. Cant' seem to find it anywhere online....
Old 05-31-2017, 05:12 PM   #9
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC19 View Post
Agree with everyone's comments. I'm always one to buy the insurance as I just don't want to deal with the risk and time needed if something was to happen.

That being said, does anyone have the rules and regulations as to when you can or can't tow a boat? Heard there are parameters like - can't tow on holiday and holiday weekends, etc. etc. etc. Cant' seem to find it anywhere online....
Specific to the question from the OP
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...266/266-12.htm

And an unofficial page that may help..

http://wideloadshipping.com/new-hamp...g-regulations/
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

What???? Can't tow a boat on holidays or holiday weekends? I think somebody is giving you a hard time.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:04 PM   #11
LakeTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
What???? Can't tow a boat on holidays or holiday weekends? I think somebody is giving you a hard time.
I never asked the question - was just doing research. It was called out that the reasoning was because of congested weekends / holidays and they want to minimize 'oversized' loads during peak times. Again, just for boats that require a permit, not a boat that has an 8' 6" beam.

Update: Thanks Outdoorsman for the link. Here it is calling out the times you are allowed and not allowed to tow and weekends / holidays = can't tow:

http://wideloadshipping.com/new-hamp...g-regulations/

Hours or operations and travel restrictions.
Travel times that are permitted by the NH DOT:
Movement of over-dimensional loads shall be restricted to daylight hours. Daylight hours are considered to be the period one-half hour before sunrise and one-half hour after sunset. Permits are void during periods of slippery pavement conditions or inclement weather (e.g. fog, haze, heavy rain, freezing rain, snow) creating hazardous driving conditions. Permits are also void during weekends and the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Civil Rights Day, Washington’s Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day. If a holiday falls on Sunday, the following Monday shall be also restricted as a holiday. If a holiday falls on Saturday, the previous Friday shall restricted as holiday. The permit supervisor shall further restrict movement of over-dimension vehicles as traffic volumes or highway conditions warrant such action in the interest of public safety. Although subject to requirements for permits, vehicles which are overweight only and which are operated at normal traffic speeds shall not be restricted as to time of movement.
Note: Travel through Manchester is restricted during the hours of 7 AM until 9:00 AM and 3:00 AM until 6:00 PM. Toll road requirements are the same as other highways.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #12
Bandrews7

I towed mine from Georgia. 8'9" beam. I know it's not over by much but it's still over sized. Because of the tow vehicle, I had to stop in every weigh station from Georgia to NH and not once was it questioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2017, 06:57 AM   #13
21 LBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Can't tow oversize (9' beam constitutes oversize) nights/weekends/holidays/ sometimes inclement weather. That is a few of the parameters.

http://www.nh.gov/dot/org/operations...haul/index.htm

Sent from my SM-N920V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
21 LBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #14
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Oh sorry. You were talking OVERSIZE. When he said tow a boat, I didn't realize he was still talking about oversize.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote