Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
FromDownSouoth

Default First Time Boating on the Lake

Hello all,

I live down in Virginia and am new to Lake Winni. My family (wife, daughters aged 6 and 4) and I are renting a house on the lake the last week of June. Although I have experience boating (both sailing yachts and cruising trawlers down on the Chesapeake Bay on multiple day trips), I have been away from extensive boating the last number of years (having small kids will do that do a guy!).

I would like to start my kids out boating and am considering renting a pontoon boat (with 25 hp engine) for a couple days during our trip. I am a pretty cautious guy and, being a former boy scout, I prepare pretty extensively. I bought a chart of the lake from Bizer's and have been studying the location of rocks, etc. I am aware of the boating "rules of the road", and have been teaching my kids boating safety. Do you regulars have any words of advice for me?
FromDownSouoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
Red apple

Sounds like you've done a lot of planning and I will just rent something with a bigger engine if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.

Some prior discussion:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ghlight=boater

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ghlight=boater
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Take a Cruise on the Sophie C or the Doris E

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDownSouoth View Post
Hello all,

I live down in Virginia and am new to Lake Winni. My family (wife, daughters aged 6 and 4) and I are renting a house on the lake the last week of June. Although I have experience boating (both sailing yachts and cruising trawlers down on the Chesapeake Bay on multiple day trips), I have been away from extensive boating the last number of years (having small kids will do that do a guy!).

I would like to start my kids out boating and am considering renting a pontoon boat (with 25 hp engine) for a couple days during our trip. I am a pretty cautious guy and, being a former boy scout, I prepare pretty extensively. I bought a chart of the lake from Bizer's and have been studying the location of rocks, etc. I am aware of the boating "rules of the road", and have been teaching my kids boating safety. Do you regulars have any words of advice for me?

Before you go out on your own you may want to take a Cruise on either or both the Sophie C or the Doris E. They will get you close to things around the Lake. You may call and ask what specific areas of the Lake they cover.

It may be helpful to know the area you are staying in. Knowing that people here on the forum can offer more specific advise as to things to lookout for and things to look for.

Always have a chart with you and KNOW the WEATHER. WINNI is not always kind to Boaters.

If I had one word of caution avoid Moultonboro Bay!

Sophie C-U/S Mail Boat
http://www.cruisenh.com/sophie.php

Doris E
http://www.cruisenh.com/doris.php

Mt Washington
http://www.cruisenh.com/index.php
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
kjbathe

When in doubt, go slow or stop. Never assume the boat ahead of you knows the lake -- every year we see folks that manage to find well marked shoals lurking below the surface. Hourly point forecasts at weather.gov will help you pick the best weather.

But honestly, you already took steps to prepare, so relax and have fun. The combination of Bizer and seasonably high water levels will help make your visit to the Lake enjoyable.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
kawishiwi

Default Sounds pretty good

Quote:
Hello all,

You are a boater, have the Bizer map, sound like a responsible father, BUT the NH boating "rules of the road" are DIFFERENT than any other state. You need to find those online and study them a bit. Once you do that you would be able to pass the temporary boater test and rent more than 25hp. Also boat traffic will be much less on weekdays. I suggest you rent then unless you want to ride in the "rodeo" that is Winni on a sunny weekend.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
FromDownSouoth

I greatly appreciate everyone's input here. Local knowledge is irreplaceable. If it helps, our house will be over in the Leavitt Park area, toward Little Loon island- not too far from Center Harbor. I figure that if I take a rental, I would probably rent out of Trexlers- which would require a trip across the lake to get the boat to the house.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

This site is full of solid advice. Takes hours to read it all. I bet you could just knock on a neighbor's door at Leavitt Park and ask somebody to join you for an hour or two. Look in the yard first to see if they have toys suitable for your kid's age group. An hour with somebody pointing out makers and other highlights is worth many hours of reading here. Playmates for your kids? Priceless.

Coming from the SE, the bay in front of Leavitt Park looks pretty wide open. For some reason the horseshoe of buoys marking a huge shallow rocky area has a big opening on that side. You can drive right in. Oops. A local can line you up with a couple of landmarks and a "do not cross" line, so you will be safe even if the buoys disappear in the sun.

NH is the only state where safe passage requires headway speed when within 150 feet of another vessel. The buoy system is unique too, but easy to learn if you back it up with landmarks and a chart.

Have fun.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Pontoons are great but we rented a 22ft with a 40hp engine a few years ago and it took forever to get anywhere. Try to find one with the biggest motor you can get.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #10
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Pontoons are great but we rented a 22ft with a 40hp engine a few years ago and it took forever to get anywhere. Try to find one with the biggest motor you can get.
To go over 25 hp you need a NASBLA recipocal safe boating certificate, USCG or Power Squadron certification. You can get a NH temporary certification too, from the rental; agent. Either way, watch the online video first.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:53 AM   #11
Bud63

Default Virginia Boating Certificate

Virginia has a great online study, test and license program and its reciprocal with NH. My whole family have used it to got ours.
Bud63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:09 AM   #12
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud63 View Post
Virginia has a great online study, test and license program and its reciprocal with NH. My whole family have used it to got ours.
Ohio also.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:23 AM   #13
dickiej

All depends on what you're into..... We don't really enjoy putting around looking at homes we could never afford! We study the map, read this forum, and find the lee side of an uninhabited island. We throw the anchor out, swim and snorkel and relax in the sun. Your kids will probably really enjoy it, especially if you bring all your water toys. Check out Ragged Island...
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #14
jmk

Based on your prior boating venues, I would say it is most important to understand there is almost no such thing as a "soft grounding" on Winnipesaukee. Lots of beautiful granite make the lake bottom unforgiving if you end up in shallow waters. It's deep in so many places, but there are places to avoid. They are all marked on the standard lake map.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #15
Descant

Default Welcome

JMK: Welcome to the Forum.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #16
FromDownSouoth

Default Thanks for all the advice

I want to thank everyone for all the advice they have been willing to share with me and for the warm welcome to the forum. I have read all the comments posted, and will continue to do so. One member has even been good enough to volunteer to pick up the boat with me, which is much appreciated.

Thanks again everybody
Old 06-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #17
jpjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Before you go out on your own you may want to take a Cruise on either or both the Sophie C or the Doris E. They will get you close to things around the Lake. You may call and ask what specific areas of the Lake they cover.

It may be helpful to know the area you are staying in. Knowing that people here on the forum can offer more specific advise as to things to lookout for and things to look for.

Always have a chart with you and KNOW the WEATHER. WINNI is not always kind to Boaters.

Sophie C-U/S Mail Boat

Doris E

Mt Washington
why moultonboro bay ?
jpjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:03 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjm View Post
why moultonboro bay ?
My guess is that it's because MB has lots of hazards that you need to understand the buoy system well to avoid.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:45 AM   #19
ApS

Exclamation Because It is Usually—and Obviously—ABOVE the Surface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk View Post
Based on your prior boating venues, I would say it is most important to understand there is almost no such thing as a "soft grounding" on Winnipesaukee. Lots of beautiful granite make the lake bottom unforgiving if you end up in shallow waters. It's deep in so many places, but there are places to avoid. They are all marked on the standard lake map.
I recently took a tour of Winter Harbor. (My own "turf").

With Lakeport dam having left the lake as high as it is (for July), there is a "brand-new" boulder field just below the surface about 150' from a red buoy (and shore)!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #20
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjm View Post
why moultonboro bay ?
JPJM is right--Moultonboro Bay is full of submerged rocks and the markers can be counterintuitive. The Moultonboro side is easier than Tuftonboro side, which is missing an important marker or two as I write. But you're best to stay in other parts of the lake if you're just getting started
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #21
DanteMartiniello

Quote:
I greatly appreciate everyone's input here. Local knowledge is irreplaceable. If it helps, our house will be over in the Leavitt Park area, toward Little Loon island- not too far from Center Harbor. I figure that if I take a rental, I would probably rent out of Trexlers- which would require a trip across the lake to get the boat to the house.

We have lots of experience in the Center Harbor Area. I would recommend going under black cat bridge to the calm area of Salmon Meadow in a lot of windy weather, it offers a nice area to throw out an anchor or something, and take precautions of the northwest wind, it can be protruding harsh. And remember to take a look at "Becky's Garden" near Black Cat island, it might have a dollhouse if your lucky on it. And avoid the shallows opposite to the bridge on the other side, If seen boats get stuck on them rocks, and there ain't no tide to let you go. And also remember if you are going through Wears Channel, that can be hard with a 25' engine. My family stalled there from some big waves, and almost got hung up on some rocks.

Wish you luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
DanteMartiniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #22
The Patriot

Default The Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post

Sophie C-U/S Mail Boat

Doris E

Mt Washington
I wish I read the advice on Moultonboro Bay before I went and damaged my prop. Beware the Bay
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:10 AM   #23
Greene's Basin Girl

If anyone wants to follow me sometime I will teach you the way to travel through Moultonborough Bay up to Green's Basin.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:55 AM   #24
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Nice offer, GBG--I'll add an offer of GPS screenshots with "safe travel" lines.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:35 AM   #25
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
If anyone wants to follow me sometime I will teach you the way to travel through Moultonborough Bay up to Green's Basin.
Oh c'mon, everyone knows it's a myth, it cannot be done. If (and only if) you can get past the Witches safely (very few can), the only navigable part of the rest of the lake is the Broads, and one or two acres in Winter Harbor.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote