Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
ITD

Default Speed limit makes it safe for small human powered craft?

We've been hearing how unsafe Winnipesaukee (Winni) is for canoes, kayaks ( all types), paddle boats and swimmers. Is this true and will a speed limit help?

We've heard (read) the accounts of camps complaining about the dangers of power boats, we've heard kayakers and others complaining about the fear of being run over (although one of the biggest complainers seems to have very limited experience on Winni, in fact previously felt free to complain about Winni. without ever being on the lake!), is it really that bad?

First I looked for statistics, fatalities on Winnipesaukee caused to a human powered boater by a power boater, I couldn't find any.

Second, I looked to my own experience, now I don't own a kayak, but do own a paddle boat and canoe. I have never really felt threatened in these but there is a caveat. I rarely venture far from the shore (if i had to estimate I would say less than 1000 feet. Now don't take this as I rarely venture far because I do, far for me anyway. But I do understand that I am in a very small craft, that is difficult to see. The times I have felt threatened are when I venture too close or into what I would characterize as traffic lanes. The times I have felt threatened, the boat operators did see me, but even 150 ft seems too close when you are so vulnerable. At no time during these encounters have the boats been going over or anywhere near 45, yet I still felt uncomfortable.

I don't think it is prudent for me to be in the middle of the Broads in a canoe, kayak or paddle boat. Do I have the right to be in the middle of the Broads, why sure, but I just don't think that is a smart thing to do. Weather conditions frequently go from calm to extreme in a short amount of time (thunderstorms, wind, etc.). On a busy day, there are many power boaters out there and I am difficult to see. The only way I would be truly safe is to eliminate all the powerboaters, then I might still consider it.

So, the main question of this thread, will a speed limit make it safe for small human powered craft?
Well if I look to the statistics for Winnipesaukee the answer is no, it is already safe.

Next question, will a speed limit make it safe to swim or use a small human powered craft in areas heavily traveled by power boats or in an area where a power boat can be reasonably expected to travel at said speed limit?
The answer is no, part of the responsibility we take on as boaters is that we should not place ourselves at unnecessary risk. Minimizing risk includes use of PFDs, awareness of conditions (wind, weather and traffic) and keeping out of situations where our chance of getting run over is increased.

Saying or inferring that a 45 mph speed limit will make you safe in a small human powered craft in the middle of Lake Winnipesaukee is just not right.