Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
baastan

Default Right of way and crossing streets question?

I have a question in regards to when we as snowmobilers are crossing state highways and streets in designated crossings.

My question is actually a lake winni question at that.

In downtown meredith on route 25 there is a crossing (Lago) that has signage and gives you access to both winni and the marked access trails behind the bank across from winni (into the swamp area near the park 15N). If you were leaving winni and crossing the street and the traffic heading up the hill toward center harbor subsided, then the traffic in the left lane heading toward the traffic light stopped and actually a car backed up to let you through, but then a vehicle in the right lane heading toward the traffic signal was moving at a good pace caused you to hit your brakes and you get clipped by it, is it still your fault? I was traveling very slow thankfully and the vehicle in question certainly had some solar glare in his eyes, but to be honest, this person was not at all apologetic and to be blunt, not nice. I was thankful that my sled took the brunt of it, and this person's $60 bumper end was barely damaged.

I have 20+ years experience and have been up here in Meredith since 2001 and thankfully I always lead when I go out for this exact reason. An inexperienced rider I believe would have been hurt severely or maybe dead. While my reaction time was good, it wasn't enough to avoid the accident altogether. I was happy my son or girlfriend did not have to make a decision on whether the brake or not.

I am an insurance agent and have been for 20+ years, but our rules in Massachusetts differ from other states. That said, all I really was wishing for was someone who was a bit more sympathetic to grand scheme of things and perhaps more thankful it wasn't a worse outcome.
baastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
HellRaZoR004

I think in all cases (similar if you were in a car) that you have to yield the right of way to those already travelling the road. So by you proceeding across the street you impeded their right of way.

Glad you were not hurt.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Glad you were not hurt. Machines can be fixed or replaced. One thing that scares the heck out of me when I have to cross 2 lanes of traffic, and one vehicle stops and waves me across. Even if I could convince myself that I might have the right of way because the one vehicle waved me on, I do not want to apply the right of way up to the point of impact with another vehicle. If it is not clear for me to cross both lanes, I don't go. From my perspective, snowmobile crossing signs are there to warn the motorist to be aware of the potential of machines crossing and increase awareness. They are not there to say vehicles yield to snowmobiles crossing. JMHO

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 02-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
trfour

I'll second your post Dave. And, being on a snowmobile, kindah like motorcycles, not much protection, so 'Acute Awareness and Attention' are keys to safety.
Happy you are still with us baastan!
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
Doobs41378

Glad you are ok. It could have been much worse. This gentleman was hit by a car this weekend and was killed.

http://www.wmur.com/article/snowmobi...ferson/8959213
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
Skip

Thumbs up RSA 215-C:8 pertaining to road crossings

Quote:
Originally Posted by baastan View Post
...I have a question in regards to when we as snowmobilers are crossing state highways and streets in designated crossings...
Excellent question (and example)....

According to RSA 215-C:8, Section III, you must yield TO ALL motor vehicle traffic when crossing a road at a recognized crossing. I have attached the pertinent information below:

X. A person may operate a snowmobile across any public way where the operation of said snowmobile is not otherwise prohibited by law, but said person shall comply with the following provisions:
(a) The crossing shall be made at an angle of approximately 90 degrees to the direction of the public way and at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing;
(b) The operator shall bring the snowmobile to a complete stop before crossing the shoulder or, if none, the public way, before proceeding;
(c) The operator shall yield the right of way to all motor vehicle traffic on such public way which constitutes an immediate hazard to such crossing; and
(d) The operator shall possess a valid motor vehicle driver's license or shall have successfully completed the approved snowmobile or OHRV safety training course.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-22-2017), trfour (02-21-2017), upthesaukee (02-21-2017), WINNOCTURN (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #7
baastan

Yeah I assume we have no right of way, but given all the circumstances a little caring and understanding would go a long way. I really couldn't have done anything different, and he was certainly moving faster than the speed limit (heresay) and let's just say very familiar with the area (1st responder) so the fact that he could be so obtuse about something that could've been a lot worse and certainly avoided perhaps had they been going slower, I was a bit taken aback by it all. I pride myself on following the rules, using safety and educating anyone who rides with me. I am thankful I was in the lead, and again an inexperienced operator would have certainly been hurt if not; killed.

I echo all the sentiments here, I buried a few good friends on motorcycles when I was young, and this is as close as you will get me to the open air when not in a vehicle itself...

Pray for more snow
Old 02-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
baastan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Excellent question (and example)....

According to RSA 215-C:8, Section III, you must yield TO ALL motor vehicle traffic when crossing a road at a recognized crossing. I have attached the pertinent information below:

X. A person may operate a snowmobile across any public way where the operation of said snowmobile is not otherwise prohibited by law, but said person shall comply with the following provisions:
(a) The crossing shall be made at an angle of approximately 90 degrees to the direction of the public way and at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing;
(b) The operator shall bring the snowmobile to a complete stop before crossing the shoulder or, if none, the public way, before proceeding;
(c) The operator shall yield the right of way to all motor vehicle traffic on such public way which constitutes an immediate hazard to such crossing; and
(d) The operator shall possess a valid motor vehicle driver's license or shall have successfully completed the approved snowmobile or OHRV safety training course.
For the record I fell in line with all of these, and yielded to both east and west traffic. I would argue solar glare and speed factored in, in his inability to see me and slow down or stop. Having been a former police office and now insurance agent, any reconstruction team would tell you that if you see no skid marks or signs of slowing, chances are they were distracted.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
ITD

This is a classic accident scenario in my opinion and you are responsible, remember this next time you cross a double lane like that in any vehicle. Just because the stopped guy waved you across doesn't mean he's thinking of or even looked at traffic in the next lane. That is your responsibility, I think I would have been standing on my sled in that scenario and going pretty slow to make sure the other lane was clear since the stopped car was blocking your view. Glad you are ok.

The guy who hit you probably never saw you.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Skip (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #10
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by baastan View Post
. If you were leaving winni and crossing the street and the traffic heading up the hill toward center harbor subsided, then the traffic in the left lane heading toward the traffic light stopped and actually a car backed up to let you through, but then a vehicle in the right lane heading toward the traffic signal was moving at a good pace caused you to hit your brakes and you get clipped by it, is it still your fault? I.
Not trying to be a wise guy but you being an insurance agent and former Policeman makes me scratch my head that you would ask if this is your fault. Of course it is. You certainly have to yield to other traffic that may or may not see you for exactly one of the reasons YOU sited. Solar glare being one of them. One cant assume everybody knows what your going to do when THEY have the right of way.
Skip (02-22-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Need Lights

I just came back from a 7 day snowmobile trip in Quebec and in many of the towns we stopped in have these at all intersections specifically for snowmobiles...I kid you not!

Dan
Attached Images

trfour (02-25-2017), upthesaukee (02-23-2017), VitaBene (02-23-2017), WINNOCTURN (02-23-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #12
baastan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Not trying to be a wise guy but you being an insurance agent and former Policeman makes me scratch my head that you would ask if this is your fault. Of course it is. You certainly have to yield to other traffic that may or may not see you for exactly one of the reasons YOU sited. Solar glare being one of them. One cant assume everybody knows what your going to do when THEY have the right of way.

We have a 50/50 law in mass where there is a ruling / law called no fault. That is why I posed the question. Then again I'm operating in a state where you don't have to have insurance on your autos, so why would they bother to have no fault statutes bwhahahahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 02-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #13
baastan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
This is a classic accident scenario in my opinion and you are responsible, remember this next time you cross a double lane like that in any vehicle. Just because the stopped guy waved you across doesn't mean he's thinking of or even looked at traffic in the next lane. That is your responsibility, I think I would have been standing on my sled in that scenario and going pretty slow to make sure the other lane was clear since the stopped car was blocking your view. Glad you are ok.

The guy who hit you probably never saw you.

I was standing as I always am when crossing a street with my head up. Speed and or distracted driving I believe contributed to it. I also stopped to avoid a larger collision but let's remember your front end and ski's extend for out in front from where you sit. This is what he was driving into Name:  IMG_9171.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  78.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app