Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Belknap Subaru

Don't know if this is considered Lake region for this forum or not, but I figured I would post it anyway.
Went to Belknap Subaru which is now in Tilton behind the Tilton Diner area.
I decided to trade in the old Rav4 and get a new Impreza Hatch. Well anyway I just wanted to let everyone know that it was probably the most enjoyable purchase I have ever made at a dealership. We had Nick as our salesperson.
The guy was great. We test drove a few cars and there was no pressure whatsoever to buy. We went to a few more dealers in the area and all of them used certain sales techniques that everyone is aware of. Not a fun experience.

Belknap Subaru gets my vote for best time ever buying a car. Now we will have see how the service department is.....

Just thought you should know.

BTW (Disclaimer) I have no affiliation in any way other than buying a car, with Belknap Subaru.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Pineedles

Your experience is not unlike one I experienced when I bought by 2012 Forester in December. Had to go to several dealers before I found one that I was comfortable with buying.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Online experience

i would research what vehicle I want to buy, then call several dealers for a quote. Often a dealer will call you later and give you a better quote.

If they call a third time, I would negotiate a price. If this is the one I want, you can ask to have the car delivered and papers signed at a local lacation.

Don't let the salesmen make you believe you can't get your service elsewhere. Any dealer will service your car no matter where you buy it.

I rarely put up with the showroom shenanigans. I will go for a test drive. Better yet, rent a car for a day and really do your thing!
Old 04-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
gf2020

Nice to hear! I have no familiarity with Belnap but I live in MA and have purchased 2 new Subarus at Manchester Subaru. It was a great and painless experience.

Subaru, in general, caters to a more educated car buyer and I think that is also reflected in their selling approach.

In the past 25 months I have purchased 2 new Toyotas and I can't say enough good things about Acton Toyota in Littleton, MA. Great prices and zero pressure.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
no-engine

Lots I know have positive experiences, and lots I know have opposite. I bought there. A year later when there for routine service, a different sales person pulled the old "bait & switch" on me trying to get me to trade in my vehicle. I choose to not go in to details on a forum like this. In my case, I had received suggestions to buy at another dealer, but I did not; I now drive a little farther for service elsewhere. No more details.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Sal

I clicked on this thread expecting more qvetching. What a pleasant surprise to find complimentary remarks, rather than the, what has become usual on this forum, "I got screwed", attitude.

Nice goin'. We need more of this kind of thread.

Thanks.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sal For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (04-02-2012), Formula206 (04-02-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Subaru, in general, caters to a more educated car buyer and I think that is also reflected in their selling approach.
I would have to disagree with this statement. The last two times I went to go buy a car I test drove Subarus and each time different locations wouldn't give me a price on the car. they only wanted to deal with monthly payments!! Drove me nuts and I walked out and didn't buy a Subaru because of it.

As for Belknap Subaru, I'm glad to hear they are still around. I drove by a few weeks ago on my way up to the lake and didn't see them and was sad to see another car dealership gone.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default What is your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I clicked on this thread expecting more qvetching. What a pleasant surprise to find complimentary remarks, rather than the, what has become usual on this forum, "I got screwed", attitude.

Nice goin'. We need more of this kind of thread.

Thanks.
I fail to see your point. The remarks made are those who have had bad experiences with a particular dealership. While my wife is looking into a Subaru, she has yet to do more than talk so no comments can be made on the experience. On the other hand many who have voiced negative remarks about a dealership do so with first hand knowledge of the experience.
Also remember that only a very small fraction of those doing business with dealerships in this area belong to this forum. Although I personally have not heard of any negative comments about Belknap Subaru there could in fact be many unsatisfied people out there who are just not on this boating forum.
I know there have been a lot negative things said for the Irwin Zone, you will find a lot of people in this area that have had poor experiences with them and chose to take their business elsewhere. I is rare that I will meet a fellow contractor that has had a positive thing to say about this dealership, unless they have not had a problem other then normal service which has required interaction with them.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
no-engine

"there could in fact be many unsatisfied people out there who are just not on this boating forum."

My observation: I don't see this as a boating forum, or majority boating.

I see posts regarding many subjects such as: weather, fall foliage, sports, skiing, snowmobile, hiking, sailing, kayaking, canoeing, landscaping, interior decorating, carpentry, suggestions on contractors, and many services, public works projects such as highways, roads & roundabouts, entertainment, eating establishments, restaurants, businesses opening & closing, the geography around central NH, which can be stated as "Winnipesaukee" area.
However, seems to me restaurants take brunt of many comments. Also northern pass project, which is not the boating.

I thought this IS a great place to find both positive & negative comments on services in central New Hampshire or the entire area.

My 2¢.......
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
CateP

Default Also Had Good Experience

I wanted to add that recently I too had a good experience with Belknap Subaru as far as their service department. They were very professional and didn't try to up-sell me with other services I didn't need. While waiting for my service I did meander into the sales room and was quickly approached and was told about the trade-in program, but when the sale guy knew I wasn't buying he didn't just walk away...we talked Forester history, which was fun.

Anyway, I plan to take my Subaru to them for any dealer related repairs.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Dave R

I have had a nice experience buying used at IRA Toyota in Manchester and very nice experiences shopping at Acton Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I wanted to add that recently I too had a good experience with Belknap Subaru as far as their service department. They were very professional and didn't try to up-sell me with other services I didn't need.

I really hate the "up sell" on service. Last time that was tried on me was during an annual inspection. I was told "your front brakes just barely passed, we can replace them right now for $280". I opted not to have the work done and picked up pads and rotors on the way home (changing brakes is VERY easy and quick). When I got home, I took a wheel off to get to work and discovered the brakes were in perfect condition. This was 40,000 miles ago and the brakes still pass inspection. I understand parts and labor are going to be expensive at a dealer, that's acceptable, but outright lying is despicable behavior.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (04-02-2012)