Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
dt5150

Default Goody Good Donuts?

driving down union ave in laconia the other day, i came to the intersection known as "busy corner". there's a small building right near the lights that has been several different businesses over the years. a bbq place, a couple pizza joints etc. while waiting for the light to turn green, i happened to look over and noticed that it was all closed up again, news papers over the windows. then i saw a small piece of paper on the door that read "Goody Good". i've heard about goody good donuts before, that it was a small donut shop that made fantastic donuts. apparently it closed before i moved to the area. but now that i saw that on the door, i'm wondering if it's going to make a comeback. anyone heard anything?
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
idoso

Red face

I did hear a rumor around town about Goody Good reopening. Let's hope it's true!
idoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
Chickie

Default Goody Good Reopening

There was an article in the Citizen a few weeks ago about Goody Good Donuts opening again. It will be under new ownership and will be opening at the end of May. They experimented with various recipes trying to find one that matches the original Goody Good recipe and think they have found one that does. They are working to get the place spruced up and will open around Memorial Day.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chickie For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (05-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
Rob1221

Default The Best Doughnuts

I have never have had any of Goody Good donuts, I have heard of them along time ago, but I have had Cider Bellies doughnuts and are by far the best doughnuts around! The lines for people waiting for these are impressive and well worth the trip and wait! I will be a nice addition to that are in the Lakes Region!
Rob1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default For those who come up to the lake via Rte 28...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1221 View Post
I have never have had any of Goody Good donuts, I have heard of them along time ago, but I have had Cider Bellies doughnuts and are by far the best doughnuts around! The lines for people waiting for these are impressive and well worth the trip and wait! I will be a nice addition to that are in the Lakes Region!
the Chichester General store, at the intersection of Main St and rte 28 in Chichester has outstanding cider donuts as well. Easy to get to off Rte 28 or the "Chichester cutoff" from Rte 9/202/4 at the Hess station to rte 28.

Mmmmm good... back to goody good donuts.
Argie's Wife (05-04-2014), BroadHopper (05-01-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Chickie

Default Donuts

Although I love Dunkin' Donuts coffee and muffins, I don't care much for their donuts. It will be nice to have a couple other options available in the Laconia/Gilford area. Best of luck to both Goody Good and Cider Bellies. Now if we could only get that fried dough stand up and running here.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
Argie's Wife

Argie is ecstatic and says he's good for at least three paragraphs on the former Goody Good Donuts. He's waxed poetic about it more than once over our 15 years together.

If you're ever in Sanford, ME, there's a little donut shop called Dirty Dozen - it's on Main St., next to the City Hall. They do amazing donuts there and even Bismarcks - nothing tops 'em.

I hope that GGD-The Sequel is as good as Argie remembers and as yummy as Dirty Dozen in my hometown. I wish the new owners every good success!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Now Open

Goody Good is now open in their original location on Union Ave. I have not tried it out. I'm hoping they are using the original recipes. I hope they will change to frying oil to a healthier option.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
Overlake97

Default Open...sort of

For the past two days, Goody Good has had a SOLD OUT! sign on their door. I saw it there this morning, and thought it was left over from the day before. So I walked up and noticed an "open at" clock pointing to 2 o'clock. There were two women inside working around the counters, so I poked my head in the door and asked if they were really going to open again at 2PM? One woman told me, "No, it means 2AM." Turns out they open for business at 2AM, and you can actually walk in and buy donuts then. But my guess is that they're primarily focused on selling wholesale to local mom & pop stores (I know the store [Citgo gas?] near the Weir's traffic circle was expecting to buy from them), but are still happy to sell to anyone who walks in. But being SOLD OUT by 8:30AM makes it pretty hard for the average person to count on them.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Overlake97 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-19-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Weekend Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1221 View Post
Have you tried Brothers Donuts in Franklin? Awesome donuts! A few local establishments also sell a limited number of them, the Gilford Village Store being one of them.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
Overlake97

Thumbs up Goody Good...finally.

So, I was finally able to get some Goody Goods, but I had to get up early to do so. First success was Thursday of last week, when I dropped in at 7:45AM and they still had about a dozen or so donuts left: All old-fashioned apple cinnamon. I bought two, and they were pretty good. Being one of my least favorite donuts, I thought if these were good, my favorites would be even better.

Second success: This morning (Tues, June 24), I woke early and got there by 6:05AM. There were two customers inside and others, like me, streaming through the door. And there were LOTS of donuts! I purchased two old fashioned, one glazed, one jelly, a boston creme and a creme/jelly, which was a slit-on-the-side jelly donut with a puff of creme sealing the slit. So far, I've eaten the creme/jelly, which was great (sugar overload!), and the old-fashioned, which was clearly a cut above Dunkin's, and even Brother's Donuts (which are just BIG donuts, in my opinion).

I won't be setting my alarm just to get there when donuts are available, but if it's 6AM and I want a donut, I'll go to Goody Good.

Update to my previous post (June 19): Turns out they do NOT sell wholesale to local stores (yet), so that's not why they had been selling out so early, which I had suspected in my last post. They said that between 5AM and 7AM, people just keep coming in and buying donuts!
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Overlake97 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-24-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
Den65

Thumbs up Goody Good donuts

Just stopped by and had a chocolate glazed and a honey dipped .....just as good as advertised . My new favorite place to get donuts. HMMMMMM good, bet you can't eat just one...
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #13
kauriel

We went this morning and the donuts were delicious! I really liked the texture and how they were a bit crispy!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
AC2717

We, I should say just me, got up and went in at about 6am. These things are the real deal and are awesome

I asked about selling out so early, and I was told they are hiring more people to meet the demand as their goal is to stay open till 11am.
Their hours show 12am-11am

They also have a call ahead, so you can call and they will hold your order on the side to be picked up between 5am-8:30am before they will go back into circulation - How awesome

Their prices are extermly reasonable considering Dunkin Donuts pricing.
Goody Good prices:
$1 a piece
$4.50 for 1/2 dozen
$9 for a dozen

Dunks over $8 a dozen

I will be calling at midnight while I am still sitting at the fire pit so I do not have to rush in the morning.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
bigdog

Default Goody Good Doughnuts

Just went to Goody Good doughnuts for the first time, arrived around 7:30am.
I guess because it was a weekday, they were not sold out yet. I suspect on weekends is different! The owner said they open at 2:00am to the public, and would take 'hold-orders' over the phone.

Anyway, the doughnuts were AWESOME !!!! I bought a dozen variety, and every one in the family (including myself) raved about them.

I've had Cider Bellies several times recently, and they were good, but IMHO Goody Good, has them beat hands down in every way. I found Cider Bellies to be somewhat small for $1 each, compared to G.G. Also, Cider Beliies coffee I thought was a bit over priced at $1.75 for a medium cup.
McDonald's Newman blend for a $1 a Medium is a steal and great coffee.
But I digress......we're talking doughnuts here.....

The variety of G.G. has about a dozen types, where Cider Bellies only has about 3, I think because of their capacity and limited work space in the trailer they work-out from.... Also, they were not open this morning, so not sure if they just don't operate on the weekends?

Go try both places, and you make your own decision.
Don't think you'll be disappointed in either selection.

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-02-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #16
hockeypuck

Thumbs up "Holy hole in the donut"

Thanks to the Winnipesaukee Forum, I stopped by "Goody Good Donuts" in Laconia. It must be thirty years since my last visit there. I must say everything looks the same and the donuts are still great. The gentleman behind the counter who I assume is the owner and baker was very friendly and when I mentioned the Winnipesaukee Forum he was very appreciative of the reviews. What a nice treat and a little nostalgia for me. Oh, by the way you can't complain about the price, only $9.00 a dozen for real hand made donuts. Now I have to scout out a good cup of coffee!
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #17
dt5150

i finally had one myself, darn good donuts!

my wife discovered that hannaford makes their own cronuts.. a hybrid of donut and croissant. my god are those good.. i like em better than donuts!
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #18
chachee52

Finally got to try some this weekend. Sent my dad over Saturday AM (there is no way I an make it over there before they run out )
I will say they are good!! Not exactly the same as I remember with the honey dip, but darn close and great. The jelly and cream were just like I remember as a kid and I also had a cinnamon which was always one of my go to's back in the day. All great.
My wife had never had Goody Good before, but we do have some great old time donut shops where we come from back home and she even said that they were in the top 2 that she's had. She fell in love with the apple filled donut this weekend.
My friend came up and stole the chocolate donut that I was saving. He was impressed but his daughter wasn't so much (but in her defense it was the first time she ever had a donut or any kind of food like that, she's only 10 months)
Hopefully they will expand so they have donuts a little later in the day so that when my dad starts heading to FL, I can still get them in the fall/winter.
chachee52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #19
Gilmy

I stopped in for a dozen over the weekend. Definitely not the same as I remember but still very good and a great price point. They're a much denser donut. Very filling! Great to see it back again!
Gilmy is offline   Reply With Quote