Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Guy

Default What is your Best Bad Recipe

We got a little off topic in another thread about great food that would give your doctor great distress. We love hearing about the unorthodox recipes that people enjoy and have developed here in the lakes region. Sure some of them are from all over, but we are at the lake or on the boat so it's lake related.

We have had suggestions of ways to cook and augment hot dogs. A great description of meats and bean Chile.

What are your family favorites that you think others might enjoy or at least wince at hearing about.

These do not have to be healthy items. They don't have to be killers either although those can be the most fun to eat and read about. Open season on what you like to cook while enjoying life in the lakes region.

Who's hungry?
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Kamper

In my bachelor days I made "Kool-Aid Chicken." The main ingredients were canned chicken and rice. The major flavoring I used was orange or cherry powderred drink mix and tabasco. You can use instant rice or the microwave packs of pre-coked rice. You mix all the ingredients together, heat and serve.

With these combinations I had "Mandarin Oriental Chicken and Rice," and "Cherry Chicken Szechuan." Feel free to experiment with other flavors or spices and to add additional ingredients like fruit chunks or vegetables.

Yum, yum!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Jonas Pilot

This summer’s hot and humid weather hasn’t been very conducive for cooking inside so we have cooked most of our dinners on the grille. Chicken breasts, chicken kabob, chicken salad, chicken, chicken, chicken. Finally it was time for a change. My wife picked up some Nathan’s all beef hotdogs and some steak rolls. I didn’t feel like a regular dog, mustard and relish etc so I looked around to see what I could find. I spotted an avocado I had planned on using on the previous weekend but it wasn’t ripe enough so I just put it aside. I diced the avocado, mashed it with a fork and added some finely chopped onion and seasoned it with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. After the dogs were done and the rolls were toasted I put a little mayo on the buns, slathered on plenty of the avocado and placed the dog in. On top of this I put some sliced tomatoes fresh picked from my garden. If I do say so myself it was one of the best hotdogs I have ever had.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Heaven

That would have been good even without the dog
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Guy

Default Thanks Giving Panni

One of our favorites.

Start with a thin white sandwich wrap on a plate.

Everything is put on half.

Apply a super thin layer of mayo.

Sliced Chicken breast (Or substitute turkey) from the deli counter.

Layer of homemade bread stuffing with sausage, potato and onions.

Spread about 2 TBSP of cranberry jelly (out of the can)

Fold in half.

Spread Smart Balance spread on both sides.( or other)

Put it into a preheated Panni at med hi. (Like a grilled cheese)

Cook until golden. (Stripes in the case of a panni maker)
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Jonas Pilot

I probably shouldn’t admit to this on but every now and then when we find ourselves in a pinch time wise, I’ll make this. Worst thing about it is it's usually after 8:00 PM. Steamed chopped onions and broccoli added to a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. It tastes a lot better than it sounds.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
garysanfran

Unhappy Hot dogs vs. Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
This summer’s hot and humid weather hasn’t been very conducive for cooking inside so we have cooked most of our dinners on the grille. Chicken breasts, chicken kabob, chicken salad, chicken, chicken, chicken. Finally it was time for a change. My wife picked up some Nathan’s all beef hotdogs and some steak rolls. I didn’t feel like a regular dog, mustard and relish etc so I looked around to see what I could find. I spotted an avocado I had planned on using on the previous weekend but it wasn’t ripe enough so I just put it aside. I diced the avocado, mashed it with a fork and added some finely chopped onion and seasoned it with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. After the dogs were done and the rolls were toasted I put a little mayo on the buns, slathered on plenty of the avocado and placed the dog in. On top of this I put some sliced tomatoes fresh picked from my garden. If I do say so myself it was one of the best hotdogs I have ever had.
You lost me when you got to adding mayo!
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Jonas Pilot

I only added a little. I thought it needed something but I didn't want to overpower it.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #9
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I've discovered that sour cream is a great alternative for most things you'd put mayo on. Of course it must be fully leaded.

Hot dogs by far are extremely difficult to screw up, the usual toppings just get to boring, plus ketchup on a dog is a wee bit nasty to my taste buds.

So some of my favorite hot dog toppings,

fresh cucumber wedgies and diced fresh tomato with a little bit of chipolte ranch dressing

butter toasted roll with a huge heap of cole slaw (drained or the roll gets soggy)

home fries, preferably cooked with garlic with a little bit of cheese

Chicken, there is one way in particular that is outstanding, it's a regular on my grill on the boat and is really easy to make. Take chicken breasts slice into nice thick strips throw them in a zip lock bag and marinate them in Ken's Northern Italian with basil and ramano salad dressing. Don't skimp on the dressing. Let sit for at least 24 hours, then throw them on the BBQ. You will never have anything that is quite so good.

That salad dressing is what I use when I cook up my fresh caught salmon, that's another easy one to prepare. Clean and gut the fish, whap the head, tail and fins off. Throw on the grill with medium heat, after a few minutes turn the fish over and the skin will just peel right off, dose with salad dressing, flip and repeat till the fish is fully cooked. Serve with rice pilaf, and I don't hesitate to throw a little bit of that salad dressing in there too. This also works great on Rainbow Trout and Lake Trout.

For any hunters out there... this requires that you are able to get a deer and butcher it yourself. You also need a vacuum sealer which to me is essential to properly freeze your meat and keep it good and fresh. When I butcher my deer, all the steaks, steak tips, even the tenderloins get put into a vacuum sealer bag and we add a few spoon fulls of mesquite marinade. Carefully place the bags upright in the freezer and let the meat and marinade freeze overnight. The following morning vacuum pack them. To prepare, pull out of the freezer, allow to fully thaw out, this is essential for the meat to absorb all that flavor as it thaws. Cut the bag open and dump in a fry pan, cook to medium rare and enjoy. You'll have a problem sharing it's so good.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
alisphunt

Default Biscuits

This is actually something my father used to make for us as kids and only when we were on vacation at the lake. I think he purposely made this only at the lake because we could run off all the sugar without driving the parents crazy

Mix together peanut butter and real maple syrup (is there any other kind? lol) in equal parts then slather generously over fresh from the oven biscuits. So good!
alisphunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
Argie's Wife

Default Redneck Donuts...

1 ten count can of Texas-style biscuits; 1 cup of sugar; 2 tablespoons of sugar; 1 stick of margarine or butter; vegetable oil for frying and a deep frypan (I've also used an electric popcorn popper for this - it does a better job.)

Open the can of biscuits, lay the biscuits out (separate them). Using a bottle cap, cut a hole in each "doughnut". Save the hole - yup - that's a Redneck Munchkin' alright. Melt the butter. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together. Heat up the oil. Once the oil is hot enough that it make a popping sound when you add a little drop of water, you can start adding the "doughnuts" and the holes. Fry until golden brown. Remove from oil. Dip in melted butter and then immediately dip in the cinnamon/sugar mix.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
robmac

I take steak and or chicken cut into strips put into a container. Mix equal parts of ketchup,italian dressing and coca-cola mix it all together in the container and let sit for 4 hrs or longer. Don't let the ingrediants fool ya it is very very good. If anyone has had the pleasure of eating at the New Bridge Cafe in Chelsea you know how good it is.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
Skip

Thumbs up Favorite summer sandwiches

Two favorite summer sandwiches....served on white bread:

Slather one slice with peanut butter, the other slice with miracle whip, then add a freshly sliced banana as the filler!

This time peanut butter on both slices of bread, then fill the center with freshly sliced cucumbers!

If you want to be healthy, don't salt the cucumbers....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Two favorite summer sandwiches....served on white bread:

Slather one slice with peanut butter, the other slice with miracle whip, then add a freshly sliced banana as the filler!

This time peanut butter on both slices of bread, then fill the center with freshly sliced cucumbers!

If you want to be healthy, don't salt the cucumbers....
What a coincidence - I just finished making an Elvis sandwich for the oldest Arglet. It's peanut butter on both pieces of bread, a layer of banana and bacon in between. (A true Elvis should also be grilled and doesn't include bacon but he prefers it not grilled... and the kid can eat his weight in bacon - which is maddening, as he's a twig.)

(I opted for a BLT... we have killer tomatoes right now... nothing beats a fresh summertime tomato!)

Robmac - You don't happen to have the recipe for Saugus Wings, too, do you? (The best thing to come outta the Kowloon, IMO.)

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 08-08-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I gotta tell ya Skip I'm pretty adventurous at mixing up different things, but I don't know about this one. It just seems so... well wrong. Maybe I'll make one up and give it to my daughter and tell her it's a delicacy that they serve on the crumpet platter at the Mt Washington hotel ;-). I'll have to trim the bread crusts off though so it looks the part, and sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top for aesthetic purposes.

If she likes it maybe I'll give it a whirl.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
Rag Top Daze

Default More peanut butter, please

When I have a hot dog, either grilled or steamed, I use the Coney Island rolls and put in the following ingredients, in this order...peanut butter, chopped onion, relish, mustard, the hot dog, and top it all with celery salt. Makes me hungry for a hot dog right now! If I'm eating a hot dog with no roll, I still use peanut butter and mustard

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #17
VtSteve

I've never had a bad review of my sausages.

I do both mild and hot italian sausages this way.

I first saute butter and onions, peppers (green/yellow/red) in a mixture of spiced rum and cognac. Yes, my special ingredient I cook a lot with rum and cognac.

Fire the grill up, put the sausages on and cook them pretty well, not too much. If I have time, I put the entire mixture in a crock pot. Toasted buns of course.

Though a conventional doctor may have some misgivings, the butter is a wholesome ingredient, the rum and cognac mixture is harmless. Believe it or not, the single most harmful ingredient in the entire recipe is the roll.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #18
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
You lost me when you got to adding mayo!
I thought the same first time I heard of it many years ago. I like to slice them in half lengthwise, grill them, a little mayo and whatever else you want. When I ran out of hot dog buns once, I found this was the best method on toasted regular bread. Now I use mayo everytime I cook hot dogs this way.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
SIKSUKR

I had to laugh when I saw a reference to "my fathers recipe". This one always killed me. My dad loved to make peanut butter and Tang sandwiches. "Hey" he would say, "if it's good enough for the astronauts its good enough for me".

My favorite dish to make for this german is rholadin(spelled different ways). Mine is so good because its so bad. First I fry up 1 pound of bacon. Don't discard the fat! I take thin sliced top round and add mustard, chopped onion, cooked bacon, salt and pepper. Roll it up and secure with toothpicks. Heres the tasty part. Each piece is now fried in the bacon fat after flouring till both sides are brown. The remaining fat(which is very little) stays in the electric frypan along with the rholadin. Cover with water and let those babys simmer for 3-4 hours. Make a rue out of flour and butter and add to finish the gravy. You won't believe how good the gravy is.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #20
arthurc

Default cucumbers & PB

Skip, I just tried sliced cucumbers and PB on white bread. Excellent. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks.

Art
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:20 AM   #21
trfour

Post OH, The Baked Stuffed Lobster's Was One Of Our...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
We got a little off topic in another thread about great food that would give your doctor great distress. We love hearing about the unorthodox recipes that people enjoy and have developed here in the lakes region. Sure some of them are from all over, but we are at the lake or on the boat so it's lake related.

We have had suggestions of ways to cook and augment hot dogs. A great description of meats and bean Chile.

What are your family favorites that you think others might enjoy or at least wince at hearing about.

These do not have to be healthy items. They don't have to be killers either although those can be the most fun to eat and read about. Open season on what you like to cook while enjoying life in the lakes region.

Who's hungry?

Favorites! ...

We enjoyed the steamed and baked at the camp on Paugus Bay year around. I'd go out on the deck in the dead of Winter and cook in a blizzard, just kept the hood on the grille! ... Sometimes I looked kind of funny with my snowmobile helmet on, and I am funny, when I want to, only because others have told me so, by the way...
The Lakes Region Is The Best! If you should ever get to live IT, year around, [ hands down, thats the very best recipe that you could ever encounter ]... tenfour?

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #22
CrawfordCentury

Simple.

Take any existing recipe.

Add bacon.

Beware of immitators. Just because lolz ketteh sais i has bacon dosen maek it so.