Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Where to Jetski (other than Winni)

Morning, friends!

My (new-when-I-get-it-in-spring) jetski will spend most of its time in Winni, but since it'll be on a trailer, I'm interested to learn of other close/easy places I might wanna take it. The Winnisquam sandbar comes to mind, as an example, but I don't know much other than Winni.

So, ~30 minutes or less from Moultonborough and easy/free/cheap to launch/park/access. Go!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
fatlazyless

If it holds three people as opposed to two people, then you can legally us it via the free-to-use Squam Lake, NH Fish & Game, two lane, boat launch ramps and parking lot that's on Route 113, just 200-yards up off Route 3/25, close to the library in Holderness.

For some wacky reason, two seat jetskis are banned from Squam, while the three seaters are ok to use ...... go figure ..... and, explain that one? Basically, all jetskis now sold have seats for three people.

Big Squam was the lake used for the 1981 film, On Golden Pond, made when there were no jetskis, yet ... those were the days?

Lake Winnisquam

Access via the NH Fish & Game boat launch in Laconia, behind the Boulia Gorrell lumber yard. The free-to-use state boat ramp and parking lot puts you on the Winnipesaukee River, about 200-yards upstream from Lake Winnisquam, plus you can also go upriver on the Winnipesaukee River.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-26-2019 at 10:41 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:51 AM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Morning, friends!

My (new-when-I-get-it-in-spring) jetski will spend most of its time in Winni, but since it'll be on a trailer, I'm interested to learn of other close/easy places I might wanna take it. The Winnisquam sandbar comes to mind, as an example, but I don't know much other than Winni.

So, ~30 minutes or less from Moultonborough and easy/free/cheap to launch/park/access. Go!

I've always wanted to take mine to Newfound Lake. It's the one lake up here that I have been on yet. Congrats on your ne toy. Did you buy the GTI130?

Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Newfound Lake has a big, free-to-use, NH Fish & Game boat launch ramp area via the entrance to the http://www.nhstateparks.org/visit/st...tate-park.aspx ....even when the state park is closed, the driveway on the right to the boat launch and dock is open ..... this time of year .... is very empty of people

Supposedly, the Wellingtons willed their huge Newfound peninsular to the state for free, back in the 1930's or something, just like Ellecoya State Beach in Gilford.

"Dang-it, better to give it all to the state, than to have that no good, drunken, loser ...... son ...... of ours, to get his hands on it ...... yes, that's what we will do!"
Old 10-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I've always wanted to take mine to Newfound Lake. It's the one lake up here that I have been on yet. Congrats on your ne toy. Did you buy the GTI130?

I haven't heard back from the seller on the 130 price, but I think I may decide on a new 170 SE, anyway, as there are some nice features, a bigger engine, and 4-year warranty. The "monthly" cost would be about the same, and I'd have a 6 year newer machine.

When it happens--I'm buying a jetski, just not sure which--we should connect and hit up Newfound Lake!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-27-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
If it holds three people as opposed to two people, then you can legally us it via the free-to-use Squam Lake, NH Fish & Game, two lane, boat launch ramps and parking lot that's on Route 113, just 200-yards up off Route 3/25, close to the library in Holderness.

For some wacky reason, two seat jetskis are banned from Squam, while the three seaters are ok to use ...... go figure ..... and, explain that one? Basically, all jetskis now sold have seats for three people.

Big Squam was the lake used for the 1981 film, On Golden Pond, made when there were no jetskis, yet ... those were the days?
I think the word "jet ski" is originally from the days of the "jet ski" that you actually rode standing up. Eventually, manufacturers started to make something similar, but you could ride sitting down which were your "2 seater" jet ski's. When "jet ski's" were originally banned from certain bodies of water, most, if not all, were "2 seater's", (and the "stand up" type), and the way manufacturer's got around the "new rule" was to make "3 seater's", at least 10' long so they were considered a "boat", or a "vessel", instead of a "ski". That "saved" the "sit down" type of jet ski, but the "stand up" type, (and the 2 seater's), are still banned on a lot of bodies of water. That's why today you hardly ever see the "stand up" type any more I would think.That's probably when they started to become known as "waverunner's" as well... I'm no expert on "jet ski's"/ "waverunners", but I remember someone telling me something to that effect years ago, which is why you can't even buy a new "2 seater" any more to my knowledge. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's why all you see these days are "waverunners" at least 10' long, and are all 3 seater's. They are legal to go on any body of water you can launch your "boat"...!! In other words, it was the manufactures way of saying FU to all the whiner's and complainer's to the "jet ski"!!!

Last edited by Cal Coon; 10-27-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Somewhere in the google world, there's got to be an old jetski with a dead engine or something, that's been modified with outrigger oarlocks so it can be rowed with oars ...... a modified jetski row-personal watercraft for someone who would rather row with two oars ...... than control a throttle with the turn of their right hand wrist.

And, named the rowski ...... a name always good for a smile ..... oh, look .... is a rowski ..... get it ..... a jetski modified with rowing oars becomes a rowski .... ho-ho

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-29-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #8
Biggd

Quote:
I haven't heard back from the seller on the 130 price, but I think I may decide on a new 170 SE, anyway, as there are some nice features, a bigger engine, and 4-year warranty. The "monthly" cost would be about the same, and I'd have a 6 year newer machine.

When it happens--I'm buying a jetski, just not sure which--we should connect and hit up Newfound Lake!

I didn't know they had a 170. That thing should fly. On calm water by myself I've had my 130 to 57mph but I only weigh 170.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
I didn't know they had a 170. That thing should fly. On calm water by myself I've had my 130 to 57mph but I only weigh 170.

It's brand new this year. I weigh north of 200, so the power might be good. https://www.personalwatercraft.com/b...70-review.html

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #10
Biggd

Quote:
It's brand new this year. I weigh north of 200, so the power might be good. https://www.personalwatercraft.com/b...70-review.html

That thing is sweet!

Old 10-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Quote:
That thing is sweet!

Looks to be a nice all-round machine.

Biggd (10-27-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 08:50 PM   #12
LoveLakeLife

I’m amazed they’ve never been referred to industry-wide by the most accurately descriptive moniker: water cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:35 AM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default New designation

How about a new destination? We have ATV, UTV, why not H20V?

Dave
Old 10-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Default ... lose the jetski, and get a small rowboat!

Quote from above: "the power might be good ... https://www.personalwatercraft.com/b...70-review.html"

So ..... it's $11,399 for this SeaDoo jetski, plus annual registration, annual insurance, maybe a jetski boat lift, gasoline (15.9 gal tank is a huge gas tank!), and maybe a trailer, and any service repairs, winter storage, and depreciation.

...... or, approximately $399 for an 11'-jonboat or 12'-vee hull, used aluminum rowboat with a good set of two wood oars and oar locks.

..... driving a jetski makes you fat and lazy ..... because the only exercise you get is slightly turning your right hand wrist to control the speed.

..... rowing a rowboat is a physical workout, and so much more fun to do!
Old 10-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #15
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Wow that is extremely judgmental!! How do you know a jet ski would be the only exercise they get? I run 7.5 miles everyday but I don’t row my boat but my jet ski makes me fat and lazy. How insulting.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Wifi-1 (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #16
fatlazyless

QUOTE: How insulting ... ... boo-hoo!

With a small 11' or 12' rowboat, one or two swimmers can very readily swim along behind the rowboat rower, and hold onto the transom handles if wanted.

Have never seen a swimmer swimming along directly behind a jetski.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-27-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #17
macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Wow that is extremely judgmental!! How do you know a jet ski would be the only exercise they get? I run 7.5 miles everyday but I don’t row my boat but my jet ski makes me fat and lazy. How insulting.

LOL, Offended over that? Serious? What has this world turned into?
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:02 PM   #18
Biggd

Quote:

I really want to explore Newfound, just not sure where to put in.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #19
Cal Coon

If I had a waverunner, I would check out already mentioned Newfound Lake, Great Bay / Portsmouth area, the Squam Lakes, Sebago Lake in Maine, Ossipe Lake, and Great East lake in Wakefield, NH, just to name a few. Lots of places to go...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #20
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
I think FLL answers that question in post #4.
I tend to skip over his posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
mcdude (10-27-2019), Wifi-1 (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #21
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

This is the reason we fought to keep the launch on our lake private when the state investigated taking it over. We don't want outside jet skiis coming in and disturbing the peace and quiet (or other boats bringing in milfoil). I guessing that Thinkxingu is a responsible adult who isn't going to spend all day in front of someone's home doing tricks and using the lake as an amusement park but there sure are those that do. We get them occasionally on week-ends. I know the lake belongs to everyone and blah, blah blah...but a little consideration goes a long way.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #22
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
This is the reason we fought to keep the launch on our lake private when the state investigated taking it over. We don't want outside jet skiis coming in and disturbing the peace and quiet (or other boats bringing in milfoil). I guessing that Thinkxingu is a responsible adult who isn't going to spend all day in front of someone's home doing tricks and using the lake as an amusement park but there sure are those that do. We get them occasionally on week-ends. I know the lake belongs to everyone and blah, blah blah...but a little consideration goes a long way.
I don't disagree on the consideration thing--in fact, I think I often go overboard, which is why I have had a problem with things like The Dive.

As for jetski use, I'm confident I won't be burnin' donuts (I have no idea of the jargon). I'm getting it to be in the area when L'il Buddy takes out Harambee or to tour the lake in a different style.

mcdude (10-27-2019)