Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
dpg

Default Work for a free stay

Has anyone ever had work done to their home/camp at the lake in return for a free week or two stay there? How did it work out for you, any issues? Wondering if there's any market for this type of bartering. I'm thinking maybe labor (I'd buy materials) in return for the stay. Maybe a week or two at a (non-lake front) Suissevale home for say a couple rooms of hardwood floor put down or re-do a bathroom, etc. I know someone doing it in Maine this summer and giving the person two weeks use in July. Any thoughts, suggestions, personal experiences? Thanks..
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Pine Island Guy

Default have seen it being done

a neighbor did this to get their roof done, i think it worked out great for both the owner and the roofer. He got two weeks there and did all the labor, but had enough spare time to enjoy the lake/water as well... and the owner was happy with the workmanship.

Seems like a great idea! -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Happy Gourmand

We did it to have a bathroom redone last year. Working on some plumbing upgrades and replacement windows this year.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
RLW

Smile

What happens if the work project is predicted to take a longer time frame than what you want to give??? I believe to have a quality job done, either one of those 2 projects just might more than the 2 weeks you are suggesting and that is no time off for enjoying the sun and the water. His bride/girlfriend would be making out like crazy.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
pcmc

I would suggest knowing the workers, supervise all of the work, and know how many people will show up when they have rein of the place. Permits would be very wise to assure the work isn't skimped on.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2014, 01:32 AM   #6
HellRaZoR004

Do you need to worry about things like insurance? Just a thought, sounds like a really neat idea though.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
dpg

Hmmm..interesting thanks for the replies. I'm actually surprised to hear the number of folks that have done this already. I'm sure local contractors are reading this thread grinding their teeth...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Kamper

I had a sweet deal with my ex-girlfriend's mother. I'd park my camper at their lake house and do self-directed chores and yard-work. When the lady and I split up, Mom told me to keep my set of keys because I was up there more than anyone else! This ended when they sold the place.

You may never get this lucky but offer your services on Craigslist and see what develops.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote