Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Oregonrain

Location: For now I live in Lebanon, OR, but this summer I'll be living somewhere in the Lakes Region
Default Plank homes

There's a home I'm looking at via the internet. It's plank siding. The realtor says that the solid wood plank siding is the insulation. I'm wondering, just how much 'insulation' is solid wood plank siding. Seems to me you'd want something between the outer wall and the inner wall. I'm not familiar with this style of building.. Does anyone have a home built with plank siding? Is it only the outer wall between you and nature or is there an inner wall as in what a normal house has? Sorry for sounding stupid...
Oregonrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Kamper

My grandparents did, but it was built when oil was 3cents a gallon. The people who eventually bought it from my uncle insulated it properly along with other updates. I don't have the number but I'm told it was well worth the investment.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
DickR

It sounds like the realtor may not know an awful lot about either the house or "plank siding." You need to press for details. If you google on "plank siding" all sorts of things pop up. Of course, there is HardiPlank fiber-cement siding, but you spoke of all wood, perhaps just ship-lapped wood siding, sort of like cedar clapboards. Wood has a nominal R value of around 1 per inch of thickness. You really need to know what the wall structure is, what is inside the cavity for insulation, and how tight the whole assembly is. Ask for how the house is heated, and for a year's heating bills.

In this climate (zone 6), you don't want a poorly insulated, drafty house. You'll be very uncomfortable in something like that. You might think of having an energy audit done on any house you consider buying, complete with blower door test, to get a real pro's assessment of how winter-proof the house is. Just looking it over yourself in warm weather likely won't tell you much about how that house will feel in a winter like the one we've just had.

Ideally, you'd design and oversee the building of your own house, to tight, superinsulation standards (or at least Energy Star level), or find someone who can give you that. Remember, "built to code" is the bare minimum to pass a good inspection, a grade just above failing in any academic course, and many houses wouldn't come anywhere near meeting even the 2006 IRC.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default I am with DickR

Frankly, I have never seen a realtor that knows squat about residential constructions. They blow smoke like used car salesman. I will never forget looking at a new construction several years ago, and wondered why they put this huge plant in one corner. I move the plant and stand back and I notice the corner of the house was actually lower than the rest of the house! You should hear the stories coming from the realtor. Telling me that the builder is the 'best of the best' etc. The development eventually went bankrupt and the units sold for a song. I am not saying where this is but some of you have an idea which association this is.

There are already threads on sidings on this site and you should find plenty of ideas. I don't want to repeat, you will find how I did one energy efficient home a few years ago. Five plus rating and the owner is extremely happy with the siding.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
Oregonrain

Location: For now I live in Lebanon, OR, but this summer I'll be living somewhere in the Lakes Region

This is what the realtor said.. I edited out where the property is:

"I had a nice converstion with the listing agent regarding the property.
There is a spring for the water supply, so you would need 20% down payment.
It needs a water heater, tub or shower and a refrigerator. Also, sanding and painting on the interior.
There is an estimate of $1,500 on a part of the house that needs shingles.
The house is a plank house, meaning the solid wood walls are the insulation.
The listing agent guessed that about $30,000 worth of work would bring the house up to"stunning" condition"

I don't mind doing a bit of work. I rather enjoy painting and finish work, but if there's a ton of stuff to do then that's another thing altogether.
Oregonrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
Merrymeeting

The prior posters have been courteous. "plank walls for insulation"?

Run from this one! There is no way that this would come anywhere close to meeting current NH building code

http://www.puc.nh.gov/EnergyCodes/Form%20EC-1.pdf

This is realtor-speak for "doesn't have a lick of insulation and you will need a second mortgage just to keep the house at 50 in winter"

I suggest you keep looking.

Having stated the above, I'd echo what others have advised here. Visit...perhaps rent, before you buy. Based on your other posts, you should understand that the properties you are looking at are well below the average price for a home in the area. As a result, you will get what you pay for.

Looking at the listing for the "plank home" you have mentioned, it looks like a lovely structure on a very nice lot. BUT... no insulation that I can see,not to mention other amenities to make it reasonably inhabitable year-round. You would need to factor in many, many updates and upgrades.

As an example, with no insulation, in that location, you would most likely be looking at $6-7000 per winter in heating costs (assuming 2000 gallons of heating fuel at $3/gal...and this is probably low.)

While others have posted of the advantages of the town and location, it may not be the location that your husband dreams about in his memories of coming to Winnipesaukee. For some, it may be considered quite a way from the lake. NH is somewhat weird like that. North-South travel is a LOT easier than East-West as the roads and routes are structured more for n-s travel, and what may look like a short distance on the online map can be a LONG drive at 1AM over single-lane, windy, frost-heaved roads.

Please don't take my comments as trying to discourage your dream of moving here. I live here and love every moment. But make sure you do it with eyes open and good information. Otherwise you may be very disappointed.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-30-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonrain View Post
This is what the realtor said.. I edited out where the property is:

"I had a nice converstion with the listing agent regarding the property.
There is a spring for the water supply, so you would need 20% down payment.
It needs a water heater, tub or shower and a refrigerator. Also, sanding and painting on the interior.
There is an estimate of $1,500 on a part of the house that needs shingles.
The house is a plank house, meaning the solid wood walls are the insulation.
The listing agent guessed that about $30,000 worth of work would bring the house up to"stunning" condition"

I don't mind doing a bit of work. I rather enjoy painting and finish work, but if there's a ton of stuff to do then that's another thing altogether.

If that is what they can see that needs work, how much is there that can't be seen that needs work to just make it livable.

Last edited by RLW; 03-29-2014 at 07:04 PM.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RLW For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-30-2014)