Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
dt5150

Default Propane Prices Part 2 (Low Usage)

looking to get some info on propane prices from those who don't use much, ie low usage customers. we're going to be getting a generator installed and need 2 120 gallon tanks. the generator will be to only thing using the propane so i know we'd be considered low-usage customers (higher prices). just wondering which local co's have the best prices. thanks!
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dt5150 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
AmantiDelLago

Default Irving

I am also a low volume propane user. When I checked prices 2 years ago Irving was the best deal. They are headquartered in Canada so not really local but service/tank instal comes from Concord. I was and am happy with them. I have one tank that has a gauge and I am a "will call" customer. There is no charge for the tank they provide and no charge for them bringing the tank and install.
I found Eastern Propane to be the most expensive.
AmantiDelLago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmantiDelLago For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Merrymeeting

This has been one of the most frustrating revelations of my move to the lakes. We consciously built a home that is very energy efficient, spending more in many cases for materials that make the home VERY efficient.

A 3000+ sq ft home and I'm averaging ~350 gals of propane per year. Admittedly, we also have a wood stove that supplements our heat, and working from home I can keep it going quite often.

I understand the volume discount model. But is seems counter intuitive, in a market that is experiencing shortages, that I have to pay more for using less!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Have you looked into OTEA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
This has been one of the most frustrating revelations of my move to the lakes. We consciously built a home that is very energy efficient, spending more in many cases for materials that make the home VERY efficient.

A 3000+ sq ft home and I'm averaging ~350 gals of propane per year. Admittedly, we also have a wood stove that supplements our heat, and working from home I can keep it going quite often.

I understand the volume discount model. But is seems counter intuitive, in a market that is experiencing shortages, that I have to pay more for using less!
Our town is a low cost cooperative that can pay big benefits. If you are not a member, I suggest contacting them.

Here's a link to their website. http://www.otchoice.com/
Old 02-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Low Volume

I once bought propane from Dead River. They wanted me to rent the tank if I buy less than a certain amount. So I switched to Irving. I am happy with them.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
dt5150

thanks guys. i made some calls yesterday to get some prices and irving is the best deal so far. waiting to hear back from one other co, but i think i'll probably go with irving.

amanti, irving didn't charge you for the tank installation? they told me they don't charge for the tank, but they didn't mention anything about the install fee.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Our town is a low cost cooperative that can pay big benefits. If you are not a member, I suggest contacting them.

Here's a link to their website. http://www.otchoice.com/
Thanks. I am a member of OurTown Energy. But I haven't switched over yet. We had a great deal as part of our overall heating system install of very low propane rates for the first year. I was surprised to see that the fixed price, preseason offer was within a few cents of OurTown's prices. So I signed up for this year.

But it becomes a bit of a Catch-22. Can't switch the existing tank out until it's almost empty. But to get it to empty, I need to stop deliveries, at which point they start charging me rental for the tank. No matter what, I'll owe.

I'd appreciate hearing from those who made the switch...how you did it, and how it went.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Quote:

Same here. The house was built to RBC 2010 specifications and rated 5 stars +. Everything is on propane including the generators. At 2500+ sq feet we burned about 400 gallons. We owned the tanks so changing propane dealers is not an issue. Because of the 5 stars rating we can take advantage of discounts for propane and electricity. We don't burn wood but at some point in time, may install a pellet stove.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Same here. The house was built to RBC 2010 specifications and rated 5 stars +. Everything is on propane including the generators. At 2500+ sq feet we burned about 400 gallons. We owned the tanks so changing propane dealers is not an issue. Because of the 5 stars rating we can take advantage of discounts for propane and electricity. We don't burn wood but at some point in time, may install a pellet stove.
Our house is 4,000 sq ft and is rated 5 stars +. The past year we burned 135 gal of propane. Unfortuantely, we have Amerigas. They own the 500 gal tank we have. I checked their rates yesterday and their current rate is $5.97 per gal for propane! Plus the are billing us a rental charge of $155. Just two years ago the rental charge was $95. What a rip off. I guess I'm locked in with Amerigas. Any ideas how to change vendors? The tank would have to be dug up and a new tank installed by another propane vendor.
Broadhopper you mentioned a discount for electric and propane because of your 5 star +rating. Where, may I ask, are you getting these discounts? I would love to participate as well. Thank you...
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
dt5150

^ a co-worker had the same situation with the tank and wanting to switch. he said the new co he went with ended up giving a tank of the same size to his old propane co instead of digging it up.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
PHDIII

Default Switching Propane Suppliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Our house is 4,000 sq ft and is rated 5 stars +. The past year we burned 135 gal of propane. Unfortuantely, we have Amerigas. They own the 500 gal tank we have. I checked their rates yesterday and their current rate is $5.97 per gal for propane! Plus the are billing us a rental charge of $155. Just two years ago the rental charge was $95. What a rip off. I guess I'm locked in with Amerigas. Any ideas how to change vendors? The tank would have to be dug up and a new tank installed by another propane vendor.
Broadhopper you mentioned a discount for electric and propane because of your 5 star +rating. Where, may I ask, are you getting these discounts? I would love to participate as well. Thank you...
We switched from Amerigas to Eastern last fall and secured a substantial saving. Amerigas played hardball with Eastern and made them provide a NEW tank to Amerigas, even though their tank in ground was 6 years old. Eastern not only gave them a new tank but then disconnected their regulators and left them on the ground for Amerigas to pick up. The two companies battled it out; I didn't get involved except to call Eastern and sign up for service.

Last edited by PHDIII; 02-13-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: clarification
PHDIII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PHDIII For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHDIII View Post
We switched from Amerigas to Eastern last fall and secured a substantial saving. Amerigas played hardball with Eastern and made them provide a NEW tank to Amerigas, even though their tank in ground was 6 years old. Eastern not only gave them a new tank but then disconnected their regulators and left them on the ground for Amerigas to pick up. The two companies battled it out; I didn't get involved except to call Eastern and sign up for service.

It's probably the same tank that gets shipped back and forth between the two and has never seen a drop of gas.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
AmantiDelLago

DT, when I switched to Irving there was no charge for the tank or install. They bring the tank with <20% in it so they can move it around. They put a new precast concrete base down nice and level and do a pressure test on the system (house) to check for leaks. In my case they found a leak in an improper fitting and replaced it for me then retested OK. Hooked up the tank and they left. No charge. I did appreciate them finding the leak in the new to us camp and let them know that I did appreciate it. A few days later Irving sends a truck and filled my tank. I was very satisfied with them.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
135 gal a year in a 4000 sqft house? WOW! I would love to see how you accomplished that! Maybe my BBQ grilling is a bit much!
After the engineer evaluated the house, a package from the state came in the mail with all kind of discounts. Look into your package.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:59 AM   #15
BraunBayGuy

Check out Our Town Energy Alliance. I have been a member since 2006. I am paying 2.08 a gallon at home and at the lake. Membership costs me $35 total for both houses. I was a Energy North customer for years. Made the switch no problem. Eastern came and moved the Energy North tank and put theirs in. I was given a credit for the gas that was in the Energy North tank. My neighbors and in laws had underground tanks owned by Energy North. They also chanced to Eastern with OTEC. Eastern will work with Energy North and you will have to pay a yearly maintenance fee for the tank. I believe it is less than $200. Peanuts compared to what they are saving (over $1 a gallon from what they paid last year). OTEC enrollment is going on now. Contact them now and join. Please mention my name, Jim Marshall when you join. You will not be sorry. The 2.08 a gallon is what I pay based on my usage which is less than 1000 gallons per year. Each household stands on its own. You cannot combine two properties to get a lower price per gallon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BraunBayGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BraunBayGuy For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #16
dt5150

thanks amanti, i'll be sure to ask about that.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #17
TheProfessor

There are some here including myself who owns their own tanks.
Once installed
Just open an account in multiple companies and you can shop around for a price. Just make sure you state you own the tank.

None of the propane companies own the tanks. They rent the tanks from vendors and pass price along to you.

If you have a buried propane tank - you usually can switch companies. The new company just takes over the rental of the tank.

Amerigas is the worst of the worst here.
Some companies will charge an installation fee. A rental fee. And if you switch companies - a removal fee. And they can't remove a tank with propane in it. So then they charge you a fee to remove any propane before old tank is removed.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #18
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Once installed
Just open an account in multiple companies and you can shop around for a price. Just make sure you state you own the tank.
I've been told that the downside of owning your own tank is that you also then own the "upkeep and maintenance" of the tank and fittings. Some companies will charge you a fee to inspect and maintain your connections/regulator as a result. True?

Seems they plan to get you, one way or another.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #19
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Propane companies and tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
None of the propane companies own the tanks. They rent the tanks from vendors and pass price along to you.
That is not correct. I know that Rymes owns my tank in Gilford and Eastern Propane owns another tank I have at a different location in Laconia. I spoke with Rymes this morning and they confirmed that they own the tank outright and do not lease it from anyone.

I switched to Rymes about 8 years ago and they purchased my tank from the previous supplier. My understanding is that this happens often. The propane suppliers just make a deal with your old company to buy your tank and associated parts at the time they take it over. They may wish to send someone out to inspect your piping and connections before assuming ownership and liability for it.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #20
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
I've been told that the downside of owning your own tank is that you also then own the "upkeep and maintenance" of the tank and fittings. Some companies will charge you a fee to inspect and maintain your connections/regulator as a result. True?

Seems they plan to get you, one way or another.
That's true. We own the tanks to our generator and had some trouble-they checked the tanks and we were charged. I forget the details but remember it wasn't cheap.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #21
dt5150

rymes came out last week to check things out so they could give me an estimate. the guy was supposed to email it to me but he never did. at least not yet..
Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #22
upthesaukee

Default Is there an "expiration date" on inground tanks?

I have Eastern for Propane at home, and also at our Masonic Lodge.

In the past couple of years, Eastern has replaced both tanks because they were coming up on the end of their "10 year life".

In both cases, they notified us that they would be making the change out in concert with a scheduled delivery. They arrived and checked the level on the tanks, off loaded some propane to facilitate handling the tanks, and then did the replacement.

All went smoothly, including the credits, and they inspected the system before turning on the gas once again.

So, with an inground, how often does the tank have to be replaced? (if it has been covered earlier, sorry for missing it.)
Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #23
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I don't get the pricing of propane myself. I hauled off the island one of my empty 100 LB tanks and took it and my gas grill tank to Agway to have them both filled. 100 LB tank (25 gallons) cost me $80 to fill, do the math it comes out to $3.20 per gallon. My gas grill tank (4.5 gallons) cost $20 to fill, that comes out to $4.50 per gallon.

Go figure! That was two weeks ago.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #24
upthesaukee

Default two different fills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I don't get the pricing of propane myself. I hauled off the island one of my empty 100 LB tanks and took it and my gas grill tank to Agway to have them both filled. 100 LB tank (25 gallons) cost me $80 to fill, do the math it comes out to $3.20 per gallon. My gas grill tank (4.5 gallons) cost $20 to fill, that comes out to $4.50 per gallon.

Go figure! That was two weeks ago.
I know that I have filled two gas grille bottles when I thought one was full and the other pooped out as I started to cook for the crowd.

It was a few years ago, but I don't remember two bills. It seemed they filled just like a car... and I got a slip for the total to go in and pay.

Maybe it is an old man's recollection
Old 02-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #25
dt5150

ended up going with rymes. irving wanted over $800 to install the tanks. no thanks.

rymes will install for $475, no rental fee.

the generator connection came out yesterday and put the gen. in place and dug the trenches. now all i need is the tanks and to have gen. conn. come back and do the wiring and final test. hopefully have it all buttoned up in a week or 2.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #26
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt5150 View Post
ended up going with rymes. irving wanted over $800 to install the tanks. no thanks.

rymes will install for $475, no rental fee.

the generator connection came out yesterday and put the gen. in place and dug the trenches. now all i need is the tanks and to have gen. conn. come back and do the wiring and final test. hopefully have it all buttoned up in a week or 2.
We use Rymes and really like their service!

Dan
Old 02-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #27
AmantiDelLago

Default $800?

DT, Irving wanted over $800 to install above ground tanks on a pad? Two years ago they didn't charge me anything. Surprised to hear that.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #28
dt5150

yup, i was pretty surprised.. big number. then the cost to fill them! i would've been about 2 grand in for just propane.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #29
AmantiDelLago

Default Irving

I wonder why Irving had such a huge change in a relatively short time period. Sorry that I steered you in the wrong direction.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #30
dt5150

oh no worries. i was planning to go with them anyway before you chimed in. they didn't happen to mention the site survey and installation charges when i called them the first time..
Old 02-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #31
TheProfessor

[QUOTE=TiltonBB;219539] I spoke with Rymes this morning and they confirmed that they own the tank outright and do not lease it from anyone.

/QUOTE]

Interesting. As I had Rymes and it was Rymes that told me that their tanks are rented/leased.

It was also Rymes that at one point did a free "annual safety" inspection.

And guess what? They told me I needed a new furnace.

Fast forward 6 years - and that furnace is working perfectly with zero break downs. Makes one wonder.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #32
mr1drfl

Default Pricing

I own a home in the lakes region and purchase both propane, and heating oil from Irving. What I did was negotiate a price for my house, and my 3 other family members that live in the same town..Last years pricing 1.79 per gallon of propane, 3.29 for oil..No need to "pre-buy" Been with them for over 20 years..They look back at our usage from previous year and allot us x amount of both at a locked in price. No need to join a co-op, ( I usually do better) just band together with 4,5 or 6 neighbors and negotiate a price with them. Was told that todays "rack price" for propane was 3.49 a gallon..Ouchie!!
mr1drfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #33
dt5150

over $5 for being "low usage"... all the propane co's were around the same price per gallon. filling the tanks will hurt, but fortunately since it only runs the gen, we won't use much.