Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
NoBozo

Default Technical Question About Batterys

I have a Roomba Robot vacuum cleaner. I LIKE it. It comes with two free standing "Fences"..for a lack of a better word....Infrared..? that you set up to prevent the Robot from going where you don't want it to go. The "Fences" are powered by two "C" size battery's.

One of the "Fences" would not activate the other day. SO: I proceeded to OPEN the case to maybe clean the battery contacts. One of the Energizer battery's had LEAKED a clear syrupy liquid.....Battery Acid..????????

I cleaned up the mess using a solution of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and water to neutralize the ACID. This WORKS for acid spills with Lead Acid car battery's containing Sulfuric Acid.

QUESTION: Will Baking Soda neutralize THIS Syrup..?? NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I can't answer your question. But I had two Roombas and the batterys went on both of them. How long have you had it?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
wifi

Are you using alkaline batteries? If so, you need an acid, such as lemon juice or vinegar to counter it.

Usually, when this sort of thing happens to me, there is not enough material to salvage, so I can't offer any more info.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I can't answer your question. But I had two Roombas and the batterys went on both of them. How long have you had it?
We have had "Peggy" for at least two years (Maybe three) now. No problem so far with the Internal Battery in the Robot itself. I use "Peggy" every three or four weeks. We have four "Zones".....I do a PAIR of zones back to back.... Living Room then ..Kitchen Hallway.... each comprising an hour. (ALL smooth hardwood...NO rugs or carpet.) A few days later I do the second pair. Two Bedrooms. One hour each.

"Peggy" is ALWAYS plugged in during IDLE time.

I used to get down on my hands and knees and dust mop..under the sofa, love seat, beds..etc. Getting TOO old for that. NB
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
tis (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Are you using alkaline batteries? If so, you need an acid, such as lemon juice or vinegar to counter it.
YES: Alkaline.....NB

EDIT: After contacting this fluid with my bare fingers, (I thought it was water) rubbing my fingers together ...feels a little slimy/slippery. This is the Fluid/Acid eating away your skin. NEUTRALIZE IT NOW. NB
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I loved hearing how you use it, NB. They might have better batteries now than when I had my two. I gave them to a friend to see what he could do with them. I told him if he fixes them, he can keep one and give me the other back. Whatever. But when it worked, it was great. I think someday they will be perfected!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (10-22-2013)