Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Default Great View

This spot seems to be one of the best kept secrets on the lake (not for long). Does anyone (except Pepper, who told me about it) know where this picture was taken from? :

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:25 AM   #2
jrc

We were up near the fireplace last week, If I didn't have dial-up I'd upload some pic's.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
Phantom

I Do !!

Was up there last Fall. If you turn in the other direction it has one of the only High views of Paugus.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
Woodsy

Too bad its going to be developed.... Its a beautiful spot....

Woodsy
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
Paugus Bay Resident

Used to be able to snowmobile up there too
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2005, 09:01 AM   #6
Pepper

Wink Go see this place!

It is indeed a beautiful spot, and will remain accessible by the public for quite a while yet. Anyone who hasn't driven up there yet owes it to themselves to check this place out. I think the thing that might surprise most folks is the lack of "stripping" they'll see, contrary to popular belief. The house lots are only 1/2 acre, and each is surrounded by approximately 2 acres of "never to be developed or disturbed" area. The way the roadways are designed is really neat too, because each one is sort of hidden in the woods, and the trees are being left so dense that you can't see from one to the other. This is definately not going to be one of those "eyesore on the landscape" developments, and the wildlife habitat is being so nicely preserved that the nature-lovers like me have a lot to smile about.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:40 AM   #7
WeirsBeachBoater

Default I was fortunate to know this place

Took my daughter up there by snowmobile before the development began so that she could enjoy the view that I cherished. Also a good place to take in the Weirs Fireworks, but I saw that I wasn't the only one to figure that out!
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:54 AM   #8
The Worm

So.... where is it? The old Brickyard Mt.?

The Worm...
The Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:29 PM   #9
The Lake

Pepper, I would like to correct your remarks about the development. Most lots are clustered together, and a majority of the 171 lots are from 10,000 sq. ft to 15,000 sq ft. From the road frontage on the lots is approx 75 feet. He clear cut over 30 acres for roads alone on 130 +- acres.
All the homes are set next to each other, and there is not two acres between each home. Since there is only 130 acres and 171 homes, the acres between each home would require aprox. 340 (actually that number is wrong because that doesn't take in consideration the home lots). acres to develop. On top of the overuse of the land there prices are toooo high. I would never pay 799,000 dollars for a 1/4 acre with Taxes on that home est. to be around 12,000-15,000 per year plus you have to pay an association due somewhere between $150-$350 per month.

I come to NH for the lake, and my privacy, I would need a min of two acres to be happy. In order to get two acres on the mountain it would cost a min of 600,000 for the land alone.

I guess if your from calif. you are used to your neighbor being so close. I just don't want to see the land ruined.

And yes the view from there is amazing!!
The Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #10
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Stoped there Sunday just as the Moumt Washington was going into Weirs Beach. See my photos on photo post.
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #11
Phantom

Worm -- It's Aqua Soliel aka Aqua Vista development just outside Wiers on Rte 3 heading to Merideth
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:07 PM   #12
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Exclamation I know where THIS picture was taken from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster
This spot seems to be one of the best kept secrets on the lake (not for long). Does anyone (except Pepper, who told me about it) know where this picture was taken from? :
Nice picture Don. The bench looks like this one I shot on a more overcast day in August.
This picture was taken from my car
Attached Images

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.

Last edited by Skipper of the Sea Que; 09-12-2005 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Re-size picture so it fits...
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:20 PM   #13
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Default And the answer is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster
Does anyone know where this picture was taken from?
Yes, this is the view from the top of Akwa Soleil in Laconia, just north of Weirs Beach. When it is complete it will be gated but right now the access roads are open to the public so the sales office and models can be accessed. To reach this spot enter the Akwa Soleil access road on Rt. 3 between Weirs Beach and the FunSpot. It's a small entrance but has a big sign for the sales office. Drive up the road and stay right at the first fork. The road then turns to dirt but just keep following it to the top. Enjoy the view while you can.

Others know more about the lot sizes and buffer areas but as a casual observer I was impressed with the care that was obviously taken to preserve the trees and natural environment. Of course roads must be created but other than that very little is being cleared and the homes I saw were carefully placed into the existing surroundings. Go up and see for yourself.

A good example is the picture below of the model. It appears that very little was disturbed on the lot and there is no huge lawn. Like many, I am usually concerned about large developments around the lake but I think that some assumptions about Akwa Soleil may not be true.

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 11:46 PM   #14
Pepper

I did some surfing and came upon some photos taken by none other than Lakes Region Aerial Photos! I've attached two of them below, but I would encourage all of you to visit his site
All aerial photos of Akwa Vista and view the entire collection - there are many!

I was encouraged to seek out more information in response to the post above, by The Lake:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lake
Pepper, I would like to correct your remarks about the development. Most lots are clustered together, and a majority of the 171 lots are from 10,000 sq. ft to 15,000 sq ft. From the road frontage on the lots is approx 75 feet. He clear cut over 30 acres for roads alone on 130 +- acres.
All the homes are set next to each other, and there is not two acres between each home. Since there is only 130 acres and 171 homes, the acres between each home would require aprox. 340 (actually that number is wrong because that doesn't take in consideration the home lots). acres to develop. On top of the overuse of the land there prices are toooo high. I would never pay 799,000 dollars for a 1/4 acre with Taxes on that home est. to be around 12,000-15,000 per year plus you have to pay an association due somewhere between $150-$350 per month.
Yes, the lots are all close together, and the greenspace is surrounding each cluster. I may be off on my acreage amounts for sure, but the concept of fewer acres occupied by each house lot is what is preserving the greenspace in the development.

I was particularly curious about the statement that there were 30 acres clear-cut for roads alone. Well, I can't imagine that roads could be built any other way than by clear-cutting. This would seem to be sort of necessary, wouldn't it?

Another statement that baffled me is the "overuse of the land". I'm sorry but I think the trailer parks in the bottom of the second photograph are clearly guilty of overuse, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how this development is "overusing". By city codes, many more houses could have legally been planned on this project, but the developer chose to build far fewer than he could have.

I also recently read an article in the Citizen in which an expert hired by Russ Thibeault of Applied Economic Research was quoted as saying that the proper way to preserve the quality of the land and maintain the environment, was to develop smaller house lots, with more greenspace around, than to develop larger lots. The reason for this is that larger lots tend to do more clearcutting, where smaller lots limit the destruction to the environment. I'll do some searching and see if I can find a link to the article.

Now, I can certainly understand not wanting to be so close to your neighbors - I too prefer living way out in the country. The pricing there does not seem to be out of line with much of the area, though. They must be doing something right - one of the finished homes just sold for a million last week. Also, the model home in the photo Don posted above has been sold as well.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2005, 05:24 AM   #15
The Lake

The model home shown in the picture looks great today, however when the lot in front of it sells, the trees that are shown will be cut down in order to build house.

Today the 134 +- acres looks great since there are only 5 homes built. But once fully or even partially built out the scene will be much different.

My point about the roads was not that it was clear cut, it was to offer the amount of land they will have to build the exisiting homes on.

A good amount of land is not buildable since it is in fact a cliff. This accounts for well over 20 acres. Plus the roads is 50 acres of land used. Add the retainage areas, in the project, give of take 5 acres. This leaves well under 100 acres to build the homes.

And I appologize my math was wrong. It would take approx 1,000,000 to purchase two acres, and I believe that is high even for the Lakes Region

http://www.akwasoleil.com/site_map.html

If you notice most of the green area is towards the lake, and the is the area he couldn't build on because the grade is to steep. And there are two lots below that will be used for parking, and other commercial activity. The model home refered too is lot number 2. And as you can see from the lot description there is a lot directly in front of it.
The Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:19 AM   #16
The Worm

This was the old Brickyard Mt. Resort and Ski Area. Check out the following link for history and an old aerial photo showing the abandoned tow rope lift line. http://www.nelsap.org/nh/brickyard.html

The Worm...
The Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:40 PM   #17
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Exclamation Akwa Vista Site Map

Here's the view of the lot plan or site map for Akwa Vista. The Red Dots show lots marked as sold as of the date this picture was taken (8-18-05). it's interesting to see which lots got snapped up already.

I'm not in favor of clearing so much land for development. However, if I had the disposable income (that we didn't need to dispose of for necessities) I'd sure love to own a piece of that great view. It does not look like the majority of homes will get the most scenic views though (owners may have to go to the Akwa Vista club house for the best views).

That's Spindle Point off in the distance.

For a larger image, Click here

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote