Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
jrc

Default Purple Lane?

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0251/-1/NEWS02

Basically is say that as an experiment the EZ-Pass lanes will have purple lights.

There sure needs to be something, I love EZ-Pass, but the confusion and last second lane changing at the tolls is bound to cause an accident. I think they need a big sign that says "If you didn't buy the windshield gizmo you can't use the EZ-Pass lanes"

Or maybe this should be a revenue enhancer, have one that says "Don't wait in line, just pay the fine"
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
SIKSUKR

It definately confuses a lot of people and creates dangerous last second lane switching.I came through Hooksett at about 4:00 pm Sunday and the traffic was backed up for maybe a 1/4 mile.When the dust cleared a couple thousand feet from the tolls,the 3 e-z pass lanes were totally empty and cars were backed up on the right and left with many last second changes to get to the any car lanes.I had to avoid 2 within 5 seconds.I like the e-z pass but sometimes it's tough just trying to get to those lanes.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
jeffk

Default Lack of information

Part of the problem is that the posted signs along the highway describe the lane numbers that are EZ Pass and other information but they DON'T tell you what driving lane (center) you should be in. You can't tell until you come closer to the booths, then you need to scramble to reposition yourself. What they should do is paint the lanes purple for the 1/2 mile before the tolls. That would give people the clue they need well before they get to the booth.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
jrc

I see what you describe any time there's traffic.

Lots of people seem to get in the exact change lane and then realize they need change. They have to cut across the EZ-Pass lanes to get to the full service lanes. You also get the people that stop just before the EZ-Pass booth, realize there error and try to squeeze in one of the other lanes.

There are lots of signs now identifying which lane is which but nowhere do they describe what EZ-Pass is and who can use it.

I think there should be at least one EZ-Pass lane at the far left. It would be much easier.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
Steve

I just wish they'd up the speed limit from 10. I might as well roll my window down and throw some tokens in a basket.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #6
Senter Cove Guy

Default Hi-speed EZPass

I've been through several hi-speed EZPass lanes in other states. They are always on the extreme left. Every EZPass toll station should have one.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
Pepper

This is a case of a brilliant idea being poorly executed. A two week experiment at this time of year is not going to net much of a result, as most of the travelers on 93 will be residents who travel the road either daily, or at least regularly. Then take into account that for half the experiment the light will be solid, and for the second half it will be flashing. Talk about adding more confusion! Lastly, motorists will be able to fill out a survey? Are they sending it to EZ-Pass users, or are they handing it out at the tolls?

The whole concept of distinquishing lighting is wonderful, but my personal feeling is that this experiment will provide little usable data, and simply cause further confusion. JMHO.

P.S. For what it's worth, I wholeheartedly agree that the EZ-Pass lanes should be to the far left, as they are in every other state on the east coast. Logic states that those traveling with EZ-Pass only have only to slow down for the toll, while those with exact change must physically stop. Those who can travel through the toll more quickly should logically be on the far left (assumed to be the "fast lane")
Old 10-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
jrc

There seems to be reluctance to move them to the far left. I'm only guessing but I can think of two reasons:

Truck use EZ-Pass a lot and in general trucks are not allowed in the left lane. I heard this, but don't believe it.

The electronics and cameras are too hard to move. Remember the left lanes are the ones used in different directions depending on traffic conditions. So when they change the number of lanes, they would have to move the EZ-pass stuff. I thought all lanes supported EZ-Pass so this reason is suspect as well.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:20 PM   #9
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Flex lanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
There seems to be reluctance to move them to the far left. I'm only guessing but I can think of two reasons:

Truck use EZ-Pass a lot and in general trucks are not allowed in the left lane. I heard this, but don't believe it.

The electronics and cameras are too hard to move. Remember the left lanes are the ones used in different directions depending on traffic conditions. So when they change the number of lanes, they would have to move the EZ-pass stuff. I thought all lanes supported EZ-Pass so this reason is suspect as well.
My guess is that the reason is a you state above. Pepper is correct in that you'd think the EZ Pass lanes should be to the left, but because these are the flexible use lanes it's not so clear as to what to do. I can't imagine that the receiver electronics care about direction but you would have to have 2 sets of cameras in the flex lanes to handle both directions, marginally a few more $$s to implement. I'll guess the real reason is because they don't want the majority of people (now EZ Pass I think) merging to the left only to find the expected "extra" lane isn't open at that time. Still I think this (EZ Pass to the left, including flex lanes) would be a lot less confusing that the present situation. It might even reduce the number of morons cutting across lanes though the ability of stupidity to triump over reason never ceases to amaze me.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:12 AM   #10
islandAl

Default lane crossing

"number of morons cutting across lanes though the ability of stupidity to triumph over reason never ceases to amaze me"

Last weekend, I saw someone trying to leave the attendant lane with only 6 cars in front to cross over to the backed up exact change lanes. Was turned 90 degrees to the traffic so know he was not cutting out to EZ-Pass
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

One problem with EZ pass lanes on the far left is most of the cars are in the left lane when the traffic starts to back up.We all know where the majority of cars that hog the left lane are from.I find that during heavy traffic at the tolls,all the cars are either on the left or right and the EZ pass lanes are empty.It's just getting to those empty lanes that can be interesting.