Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
leepzr

Default Paugus Bay cabins

Hi. I am a newcomer to this forum but a long-time lover of the Lakes region. I found this forum while looking for information about Paugus Bay cabins. I read the White Owl thread with much excitement as this is the area that I am interested in. While the White Owl was across the street from the current Margate resort, Paugus Bay cabins were on the other side of the street - next to the cemetery. The Antico family eventually bought these cabins and expanded the Margate property. I am curious if anyone knows about these cabins, their history including former names, has brochures, or any other information. My great-uncle Joe Muschiette was the owner of these cabins when, I believe, they were known as Paugus Bay cabins. Our family visited this area often and I am very interested in any historical information.
leepzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
SIKSUKR

First, welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledgeable members here. I'll bet McDude has some info and postcards to share.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Chickie

Default Paugus Bay Cabins

The cabins next to Bayside Cemetery were established by Florence Mastine (husband Charles) and were called the Sunset Cabins. Florence acquired the land from a Scott Wentworth in 1925 - 1930. The 1940 City Directory lists them as the Sunset Cabins with proprietor as Florence Mastine. I believe the Mastines had two sons, who assisted in operating the cabins in later years. The family owned the cabins until 1965, when the property was sold to your great-uncle. You can access the deeds and read details at the Belknap County Registry of Deeds' on-line site.

http://www.nhdeeds.com/belknap/BeHome.html
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chickie For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (08-24-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

A search at Lakes Region History Online leads to 69 results for "cabins", regretfully, nothing on Wentworth, Mastine or Sunset Cabins.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Bruce Linser

Default Sunset Cabins

My family spent two weeks each year at Sunset Cabins starting in the late 1930s until they were sold to the Margate. We knew the Mastines and the Muschiettes, who were yearly visitors before they bought the cabins. Paugus Bay Cottages was a single line of cabins next to Sunset owned by one of Florence Mastine"s sons. They were sold to the Anticos in the late 1950s or early 60s. When the Muschiettes bought the cabins, they changed the name to Sunset Bay Motor Court and made some improvements - hot water for the lakeside cottages and electric heating for all. Until then, wood burning stoves were in all the cabins for the colder summer nights. Joe Muschiette continued to manage the property for few seasons after the sale until they were all torn down or sold to be used in other locations and replaced by the current Margate buildings. I've collected postcards, brochures and photos from Sunset Cabins and other cabin colonies in the area and would be glad to share with anyone who might be interested.
Bruce Linser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Linser For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (10-30-2012), leepzr (06-15-2014), mcdude (10-29-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Welcome to the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Linser View Post
I've collected postcards, brochures and photos from Sunset Cabins and other cabin colonies in the area and would be glad to share with anyone who might be interested.
Thanks.....We'd love to see them!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

Default 6 years

Yes we would love to see them. On another note, this must be a new forum world record for longest time between joining and 1st post.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
leepzr

Default Sunset cabins

Thanks again to all who added interesting information to my inquiry. I regret that years have passed and am hoping that the offer of sharing postcards, photos,etc. is still available.still a newcomer to this forum, so will have to figure out how to do so.
leepzr is offline   Reply With Quote