Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-11-2004, 03:30 PM   #1
Justenuff

Question Off Road Clubs

Anyone have any information of Off Road Clubs in the Gilford Area? My son wants to take up riding a dirtbike, and I've told him that he has to join a club and ride responsibly. The best situation is for us to drop him off at the club while we go sailing.

I'd like him to learn the rules for off roading and to get with a group that would help him learn. I ride on the roads, but not off road, so I'm not much help.

Any directions to the club areas and phone numbers would be helpful.

Thanks
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:08 PM   #2
Belmont Resident

There is a club in Belmont I believe it is called the Belknap ATV club.
They are pretty much all ATV’s though. I’ve not heard of any clubs that do much involving dirt bikes. They are not as popular around here as ATV's are.
You might check with HK powersports they might know of something.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:34 PM   #3
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justenuff
The best situation is for us to drop him off at the club while we go sailing.

I'd like him to learn the rules for off roading and to get with a group that would help him learn.

Any directions to the club areas and phone numbers would be helpful.

Thanks
Well, not to dissuade you, but there are no clubs where you can "drop him off and go sailing". There are no clubhouses, club trails, or set schedules as it would appear you seek.

It is commendable that you want him to learn the rules and operate his bike responsibly. The link below will take you to the website for Belknap Family ATV Adventures. This is a responsible group of opertors who work hard to foster good behavior, safe operation, and community relations. If you're going to sign up, I would highly recommend this club:

http://www.metrocast.net/~dbwilder/

You should be aware, however, that your son will need to have an adult with him wherever he rides - it's the law! Check out the website for the NH Fish and Game Department for lots of information, and a schedule of classes:

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/OHRV/ohrv.htm

Additionally, there are some great videos available on cassette and DVD which would make great holiday gifts for your son. Ask at your local Best Buy or other major retailer - there are lots of educational, safety-related-but-still-a-blast-to-watch films out there!

Hope this helps!
Old 11-15-2004, 05:38 AM   #4
Justenuff

Thanks for all your help.
Just as a point, my son (who will be 15 next spring) is motivated to do this on his own. He just has a problem getting someone to respond to him.

He is attending the Off road course given by the state next weekend. I am attending with him.

One of the reasons that I want him to join a club is to learn something that I cannot teach him. I am hoping that he can get some adult guidance from the members of the club. I will have him check with the club recommended. (thanks again)

I am not really interested in off road riding(nor do I have the time), but that shouldn't stop him!
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:05 AM   #5
Belmont Resident

Default Thanks Pepper

I was hoping you would see this and reply as your son has a bike and if I remember correctly did join the club. Although I was a member I only attended one function which to me looked to be almost all tailored to ATV's. Only one member at the event had a bike. I will also ask the old trail master when I see him this week. He might be able to provide some additional info.
I was not involved with the club due to lack of time.