Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-25-2004, 09:39 PM   #1
CentreHarborEric

Default Road Bike Ride Around Winni

I grew up around the lake (guess where), and always wanted to ride around the lake. Finally decided to do it last Friday. A little hot and sticky, but took the bike off the roof @ Patrick's Pub in Gilford, headed north through Weirs, Meredith, Centre Harbor, got off the bike for a rest in Moultonboro near the Woodshed, through Melvin Village and Tuftonboro (109 was the worse stretch between 25 and Wolfeboro-bad pavement and no shoulder), took a break in Cate Park Wolfeboro, another break at the public docks in Alton, then got back to the car around 7 PM. 4 hours riding time, 62 miles total, about 4.5 hours overall. Great time, but I might do it on an early morning instead. The traffic got a little intense in places.
Never realize it when driving, but there are some mean hills out there...especially when the legs are burning near the end!
Next I would like to ride between Lincoln and North Conway on the Kanc, then back around on 302 (I think that's the route).
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:22 AM   #2
Grant

Nice ride! I'm jealous. Always wanted to do that, but the traffic in spots is insane. And, yes, the stretch of 109 leading south towards Wolfeboro is in deplorable condition, and has been since last fall. I'll bet they are waiting until the "season" ends before giving it a proper resurfacing.

Re: Hills -- My local favorite is the long hill heading out of Melvin Village before you get to the view at the Wawbeek road. When I run that hill, I make sure not to look up.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 05:42 PM   #3
CentreHarborEric

Default 109

That hill before Wawbeek was one of the toughest. Thank god for the small ring on my road bike. Knowing that I would be riding around NH, I insisted on the granny gear when I bought my bike.
If I had to do it again, I might elect to take 171. Much better shape, just longer. Less traffic and better road conditions.
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote