Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
KellyG

Default Reviews of the Restaurants we Ate at This Week

We just returned from a week at Weirs Beach and I thought I would post a review of the places we ate at.

Hart's Turkey Farm - I love this place. We had dinner here the first night. I love the thanksgiving dinner. We also had the breakfast buffet there this morning. I don't think I would have breakfast here again. The best thing at breakfast was the make your own waffles. We did arrive just before 10:30, but everything was room temperature and not that good. Coffee and orange juice is included in the $8.99 price.

Castle in the Clouds - we had lunch one day here. I ordered the British fried fish and chips and my boyfriend ordered a cheeseburger. He said his burger was good. My fish was not cooked. I ate the ends first and then noticed that it started getting mushy. Upon closer inspection, I noticed it was not cooked. The ends were because they were thin. The only time the waitress came around was about 5 seconds after our food was brought to us and when my boyfriend was done eating. I did eat the coleslaw and fries. The coleslaw was very good. I showed the waitress the just about raw fish and she asked if I wanted another order or if I wanted it taken off the bill. I just had it taken off the bill. I was happy with that. I did not want to wait since it took so long for it to come out the first time around. They may have been understaffed that day. I would return here for lunch. Everyone was very pleasant.

Schofield's at the Gunstock Inn - I had bought a restaurant.com certificate because I wanted to try the Friday night buffet. We arrived around 7 pm and there was no buffet so we ordered off the menu. I had the bbq ribs and my boyfriend had the fried shrimp. We also had the buffalo wings. The wings were good, but average. The ribs were very good. the meat just came off the bones with a fork. The french fries were probably some of the greasiest fries I have had. The waitress, who is also the bartender, was great. There was only one other table with people at it when we were there. I don't think i will return. It was just out of the way for us.

Heat (across from Funspot) - I liked it here. We ordered the garlic appetizer, which was rosted garlic in warm olive oil served with bread. We also ordered the hog pizza, which was a pizza with sausage, pepperoni, bacon and ham. I was amazed that there was just about no grease! The pizza was very good. Our waitress, Mouse, was also very good. She was very attentive. We were too full for dessert, but we were told that the owner makes all the cakes. The dessert tray looked really good. I will definitely go back here.

George's Diner - We had breakfast here yesterday. The bacon was very good. It had a smoky taste to it. I also really liked the beans that seem to come with everything. I noticed that there was homemade peanut butter muffins that day. I really wanted to try one, but our breakfast filled us. I will be back here next year.

Smokehouse - We had the hot wings and bbq pulled pork sanwiches. There were a lot of wings, much more than most places give. The sandwiches were good too.

Kellerhaus - a trip to Weirs is not complete without stopping here. We went twice. The first night we had the sunday bar and then we went one dollar cone night. This is another place I love.
KellyG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KellyG For This Useful Post:
ironhorsetim (08-17-2009), sa meredith (08-17-2009)
Old 08-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Thanks for the review. Even though we are local, we have not been to some of those places.

No doubt you will now have to work at getting your strength back up after such a low calorie week!
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
sa meredith

Default thanks

Nice post.
George's, I believe, is the best breakfast in the area...although I have recently switched to Village Kitchen...just for a change of pace.
And I've been curious about Heat, so thanks for that.
If you are staying in the Weirs area, you really should give Crazy Gringos a shot. Very good food, and a fun place to drink.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default I agree!

I agree with sa meredith about "Crazy gringos". They have the best Mexican food in the area. Service is fantastic and drinks are cold!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Winnigirl83

Default Heat

I agree about the pizza at Heat (not too fond of the name "Heat" though).

They did a great job cleaning it up. The rug that used to be in there was pretty nasty. They took it out and put in a nice wood floor; it really brightened it up.

Again, thumbs up for the pizza!
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Thumbs up Hart's Turkey Farm

I am glad to see other people love Hart's. I make specific trips up to Meredith just to have lunch at Hart's. It is a two hour trip, but worth every minute of it. We make the trip at least a couple times a year, not including the weekends that we come up for fall foliage. I seem to always find a way to get up there in the winter, which of course is my favorite season and I tend to run down and watch the ice huts for awhile. I bring people that have no idea that they can actually have as much turkey as is in the jumbo dinner. I have made many a new fan out of the people that I bring with me.
ILoveWinnipesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default How I spent last weekend.

Last week we sailed over to Meridith town docks and hiked up the "Killer Hill" to Harts... After that climb, they could have been serving dog food and I would have thought it was good. (Remember, I have handy cap plates on the boat...) However, the meal just about as good as it gets, in fact, I could have hiked a few more feet, if I had too.

We spent the night at Bay Side Yacht Club and met some wonderful folks there, who were disappointed that we didn't stay for breakfast with them. However, we had reservations at George's Dinner and couldn't get out of (if you know what I mean). After which, we of course, had coffee on the lawn over looking the docks and watched the world go by for an hour or so.

There are other places in Meridith I would have love to try out, but our time was all to short. The motor-sail back to Wolfe City was very interesting as well. All in all I'd say, it was par for the course and what boating on the lake is all about.

Last edited by Winnipesaukee Divers; 08-18-2009 at 05:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
KellyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveWinnipesaukee View Post
I am glad to see other people love Hart's. I make specific trips up to Meredith just to have lunch at Hart's. It is a two hour trip, but worth every minute of it. We make the trip at least a couple times a year, not including the weekends that we come up for fall foliage. I seem to always find a way to get up there in the winter, which of course is my favorite season and I tend to run down and watch the ice huts for awhile. I bring people that have no idea that they can actually have as much turkey as is in the jumbo dinner. I have made many a new fan out of the people that I bring with me.
Here is a great site to get half price coupons from Hart's:

http://www.goodeatsnh.com/Survey/nhdining4less.html

Someone posted this link before and I bought 4 gift certificates from it, and 2 were for Hart's. I had no problem using the certificates.

On a side note, I grew up in Spencer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KellyG For This Useful Post:
ILoveWinnipesaukee (08-18-2009), moose tracks (08-22-2009)
Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Rattlesnake Guy

KellyG,
Your post about the discounted Gift Certificate to Harts had me about as excited as the last time RGal suggested I get the L A R G E turkey diner so I could have leftovers. Unfortunately the site says they are currently out of stock.
I will check back someday.
Thanks
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
KellyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
KellyG,
Your post about the discounted Gift Certificate to Harts had me about as excited as the last time RGal suggested I get the L A R G E turkey diner so I could have leftovers. Unfortunately the site says they are currently out of stock.
I will check back someday.
Thanks
I think that the gift certificates get restocked every month.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #11
Rattlesnake Guy

Thumbs up A new great place for us.

RG and I went someplace new for breakfast today as our favorite place was closed. (Olde Bay Diner in Alton Bay)

Today we tried Kitchen Cravings which we have driven by a bunch of times but never stopped in. RG and I were blown away by the people, the food and the surroundings. What was formally a bank branch near the Airport on 11B was not at all what we were expecting. Did I mention the food?

The walls were covered to the extreme with more lake pictures and maps than we have seen anywhere. The food was great. I had sausage biscuits and gravy and RG had the home made corned beef hash. We both really enjoyed the entire experience.

It's worth a try.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
sa meredith

Default yes

Quote:
RG and I went someplace new for breakfast today as our favorite place was closed. (Olde Bay Diner in Alton Bay)

Today we tried Kitchen Cravings which we have driven by a bunch of times but never stopped in. RG and I were blown away by the people, the food and the surroundings. What was formally a bank branch near the Airport on 11B was not at all what we were expecting. Did I mention the food?

The walls were covered to the extreme with more lake pictures and maps than we have seen anywhere. The food was great. I had sausage biscuits and gravy and RG had the home made corned beef hash. We both really enjoyed the entire experience.

It's worth a try.
Great spot. Love the photos on the wall.
I'm guessing they didn't seat you at a half table????
What were they thinking with those things?!
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
Slickcraft

Quote:
RG, we also were there this morning, probably earlier than you. Now that is real corned beef hash.

The photos include some old RR photos and we were wondering if one is of the Loon Cove Station; person sitting outside maybe waiting for a train. No doubt mcdude would know.

BTW, there are two recent threads on Kitchen Cravings.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #14
dpg

"The pizza was very good. Our waitress, Mouse, was also very good. She was very attentive. We were too full for dessert, but we were told that the owner makes all the cakes. The dessert tray looked really good. I will definitely go back here."

Our waitress, Mouse??? I'm sorry but is Mouse a real name or like tags they wear for fun? Am I the only one who caught that? And no I'm not trying to be funny, I really don't know.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #15
KellyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Our waitress, Mouse??? I'm sorry but is Mouse a real name or like tags they wear for fun? Am I the only one who caught that? And no I'm not trying to be funny, I really don't know.
She told us her name was Mouse. I would have to assume that is a nickname she goes by.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #16
VtSteve

Default Sounds great

I was looking for a great place for Saturday breakfast. Is the traffic going to be pretty hard to get around Saturday during the Triathlon?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:37 AM   #17
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I was looking for a great place for Saturday breakfast. Is the traffic going to be pretty hard to get around Saturday during the Triathlon?
If you intersect the run or bike course it will be slow but not impossible going. See maps at http://www.timbermantri.com/timbermap.html
Old 08-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #18
twoplustwo

Default Mouse

I bet it's the same Mouse that used to work at The Bad Moose. She's been Mouse all of her life, apparently.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #19
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post

I bet it's the same Mouse that used to work at The Bad Moose. She's been Mouse all of her life, apparently.
Got to be I mean how many Mouses can be out there?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote