Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
Top-Water

Default What kind of boat is this?

What kind of boat is this? No it's not the "Dive Boat" It's the Camp Lawrence boat.

Obviously many of you will recognize the boat in the photo. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Trying to find out what ever I can. My son kinda got to see it at a somewhat close distance when it was parked at Bear Island two weeks ago. He's absoultly in love with it and wants to get one. I told him I would ask on the forum.

Not sure what has possed him to fall in love with this boat, but I guess it never hurts to dream a little.

Where does this boat park when it's not at Bear Island. I did read somewhere that it winters at Center Harbor.

Thanks for any information or history about it if you have it to share.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
fatlazyless

www.y-landing.com is mainland home port for MV Bear III, correct name, as I recall, and probably the reason why Y Landing has diesel fuel.

The Y in Y Landing comes from YMCA as the property used to belong to the YMCA/YWCA, or something.
Top-Water (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

You may want to go directly to the source. You can contact the Merrimack YMCA which owns both Camp Lawrence and Camp Nokomis and uses the boat to transport supplies, its staff and campers.

I think they have a Facebook page or you can call them directly.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
Dave R

It's likely a custom built commercial boat from a New England coastal boat builder. That said, it does not have traditional "Downeast" lines or resemble anything Ray Hunt ever penned, so I could be way off... Regardless, I doubt you'll find it in a brochure. Might be a Lyman and Morse design.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (09-11-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Not Merrimack Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
You may want to go directly to the source. You can contact the Merrimack YMCA which owns both Camp Lawrence and Camp Nokomis and uses the boat to transport supplies, its staff and campers.

I think they have a Facebook page or you can call them directly.
The camps are owned by the Merrimack Valley Y in Massachusetts. Merrimack NH YMCA (Camp Sargent on Naticook Lake) is part of the Nashua NH Y.

Prior to this boat, they owned/operated two wooden downeast style boats, "Camp" and "Bear". Those were both retired about 1964 when the current boat was commissioned. Campers in the 60's came in and out of Glendale and every other Saturday was marked by trunks stacked on the docks and cars stacked on the side of the road for "change day".
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (09-11-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The camps are owned by the Merrimack Valley Y in Massachusetts. Merrimack NH YMCA (Camp Sargent on Naticook Lake) is part of the Nashua NH Y.

Yes you are correct. I should have mentioned Merrimack Valley Y especially since my kids attended oth camps.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
Barney Bear

Default Bear II

The 50' long Bear II was launched in late October 1965. It was built in Rhode Island and trucked to our lake. As indicated above, it replaced two wooden boats that served YMCA Camp Lawrence for many years. A similar vessel was built to service a school on Thompson Island in Boston Harbor. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-13-2018), bostique (09-19-2018), Dave R (09-13-2018), Top-Water (09-12-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Also the Weirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post

Prior to this boat, they owned/operated two wooden downeast style boats, "Camp" and "Bear". Those were both retired about 1964 when the current boat was commissioned. Campers in the 60's came in and out of Glendale and every other Saturday was marked by trunks stacked on the docks and cars stacked on the side of the road for "change day".
3 generations of my family went to Camp Lawrence. My uncle was a counselor back in the 30's, I went for 4 years in the mid /late 50's, and my son went for a few years in the late 80's. (Daughter went to Nokomis for one year.

Initially, the Camp and the Bear cane into Glendale. The counselors loaded all the steamer trunks on one boat, and then the campers went on the other. I think the last year, maybe two, we caught the boat at the Weirs. Fast forward to the late 80's, and our son got the boat at the Y Landing.

Those 20-30 minute rides were great because you got to renew old friendships or form new ones.

Every time we boat past Camp Lawrence, I get a flood of wonderful memories, looking at the cabins, the beach, the boats, the chow hall, and even the flag pole where after reveille, all the campers gathered around the flag pole for the raising of the flag and the pledge of allegiance.

Dave
ApS (09-13-2018), Descant (09-13-2018), Top-Water (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
Donzi Minx

Smile What kind of boat is this.

Wow, a simpler time for sure.
Ditto for me when I drive past Cow.
Camp Idlewild, homemade ice cream, aquaplaning behind the Riot, sailing over to Melvin Village. I only wish I could provide my brood with what my parents provided me. Absolute personal enrichment!
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote