Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #101
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
LOL.....Well I am one of those people that hardly ever does the speed limit. I am 54 years old and have only one speeding ticket to my name. No accidents...(Knocking on wood) If I am doing 45 in a 40 zone let's say and some guy comes up to my rear bumper. There is no way I am pulling over to let them go. Now if I was doing 30 in a 40 zone...Then sure I can see your point. But if I am doing 5 or 10 over the speed limit and someone wants to get past me....maybe I am saving someones life further down the road. The more mature thing is for the driver on my a$$ to slow down. Not me to pull over. But that's just me.
I just read this in the Penny Saver tonight.....Have you ever noticed anybody going slower than you is an idiot. And anyone going faster is a maniac?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #102
ITD

I was driving on 93 north today between Concord and exit 17 and noticed a trooper going 65 in the left lane ahead of me. He was following what turned out to be a lady traveling in the left lane. He followed her for a few miles, at least 2 or 3, all the while the right lane was clear. He lit her up and pulled her over, I'm pretty sure she got a talking to or a ticket for traveling in the left lane.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (04-29-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #103
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I am glad to hear that, ITD. I hate it when people park themselves in the passing lane!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #104
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I was driving on 93 north today between Concord and exit 17 and noticed a trooper going 65 in the left lane ahead of me. He was following what turned out to be a lady traveling in the left lane. He followed her for a few miles, at least 2 or 3, all the while the right lane was clear. He lit her up and pulled her over, I'm pretty sure she got a talking to or a ticket for traveling in the left lane.
Good! I can't tell you how often we see this happening on 95 heading up to camp.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #105
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Why didn't he pass her on the right? If I understand you correctly she was going the speed limit and therefore no one should be passing her anyway.

The Trooper must know that a person can pass on the right per TITLE XXI MOTOR VEHICLES

CHAPTER 265 RULES OF THE ROAD.

265:19 When Overtaking on the Right is Permitted. – The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
I. When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
II. Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for 2 or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle;
III. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...265/265-19.htm
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #106
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Why didn't he pass her on the right? If I understand you correctly she was going the speed limit and therefore no one should be passing her anyway.

The Trooper must know that a person can pass on the right per TITLE XXI MOTOR VEHICLES

snip

Actually, I was going some where between 60 and 70 matching him (in the right lane), he was about 1/2 a mile ahead of me following her. I have no idea what he knows, and I was just surmising what he pulled her over for, but it seemed very apparent to me.

That being said, there was absolutely no reason for her to be in the left lane, she was in a spot where the right lane was clear for at least a mile ahead of her and a half mile behind her. There is no reason to be in the passing lane in this instance and someone who does this is a poor driver in my humble opinion. As to whether it is a ticketable offense, I'll leave that to the law experts that frequent this forum.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #107
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default She has to yield if she's not traveling "normal speed of traffic"

Quote:

265:19 When Overtaking on the Right is Permitted. – The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
II. Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for 2 or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle;
III. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.

This is the NH law she violated. In Massachusetts you are not allowed in the left lane unless you are passing. No matter the speed you're traveling.
Section 265:16

265:16 Drive on Right Side of Roadway; Exceptions. –
I. Upon all roadways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;
(b) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the way; provided, any person so doing shall yield the right of way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the way within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;
(c) Upon a roadway divided into 3 marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon;
(d) Upon a city street designated and signposted for one-way traffic.
II. Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

III. Upon any roadway having 4 or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for 2-way movement of traffic, no vehicle shall be driven to the left of the center line of the roadway, except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under I(b) hereof.
Source. RSA 262-A:15. 1963, 330:1. 1981, 146:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1982.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #108
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
This is the NH law she violated. In Massachusetts you are not allowed in the left lane unless you are passing. No matter the speed you're traveling.
Section 265:16

II. Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
I would say if she was going 70 MPH then she was going "normal speed" for that highway. If the trooper wanted to go above normal speed then he should have passed her on the right.
I don't like it when people hold up traffic in the left lane and they should be stopped by a trooper if they stay in that lane and don't travel at "normal speeds".
Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #109
Belmont Resident

Angry What?

Quote:
I would say if she was going 70 MPH then she was going "normal speed" for that highway. If the trooper wanted to go above normal speed then he should have passed her on the right.
I don't like it when people hold up traffic in the left lane and they should be stopped by a trooper if they stay in that lane and don't travel at "normal speeds".
So what you are saying is the trooper should break the laws he is hired to enforce?
It is just as illegal to pass on the right as it is to take up the passing lane when not passing and even more dangerous.
I believe the law you quoted applies only to local roads not highways. Unless they changed something it is illegal to pass on the right when on a highway.
Yes all those who love to fly up the right side when there are two lanes that merge into one like at the lights in Meredith, are in fact breaking the law. Even thought many who are in a rush do it, the right lane is meant to merge traffic not as a passing lane.
People who pass on the right are actually putting more people in harm then those on the highway who block the passing lane are, so I believe the police look at those idiots as more of a problem to public safety and would tend target them first.
All those drivers who make it a practice of pulling over into the breakdown lane when making a right turn are in fact also breaking the law.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #110
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
So what you are saying is the trooper should break the laws he is hired to enforce?
It is just as illegal to pass on the right as it is to take up the passing lane when not passing and even more dangerous.
I believe the law you quoted applies only to local roads not highways. Unless they changed something it is illegal to pass on the right when on a highway.
Yes all those who love to fly up the right side when there are two lanes that merge into one like at the lights in Meredith, are in fact breaking the law. Even thought many who are in a rush do it, the right lane is meant to merge traffic not as a passing lane.
People who pass on the right are actually putting more people in harm then those on the highway who block the passing lane are, so I believe the police look at those idiots as more of a problem to public safety and would tend target them first.
All those drivers who make it a practice of pulling over into the breakdown lane when making a right turn are in fact also breaking the law.
BR - It is LEGAL in NH to pass on the right. This was taught in drivers ed....

265:19 When Overtaking on the Right is Permitted. –The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #111
Merrymeeting

And the last few posts are examples of why the rules should be changed. All these exceptions and special cases, no one really knows for sure.

Like I said earlier. Make it simple. Passing and passing lane on the left. No passing on the right. Enforce these simple rules, and eventually everyone figures it out and things flow more smoothly.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #112
HellRaZoR004

Huh?...just because you don't know the rules doesn't mean they need to change. It simply means you need to know where to find them or how to ask questions.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #113
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
BR - It is LEGAL in NH to pass on the right. This was taught in drivers ed....

265:19 When Overtaking on the Right is Permitted. –The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
Sorry, I guess we see another instance where the Live Free or Die state lacks the common sense that other states have. As with not requiring drivers to have auto insurance both are instances of laws that really should be addressed and changed if for no other reason then a safety of those around. Oh and I might add helmet law, another touchy subject.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #114
tis

You just shouldn't drive in the passing lane, unless you are trying to pass. That's why it's called the passing lane…….
Old 04-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #115
Rusty

Quote:
A little backup information with your interpretation of the laws would help.

Just a suggestion for future comments.

Here is the latest NH Drivers Manual...See page 42

Thanks,
Rusty

Last edited by Rusty; 04-24-2013 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Added NH Drivers manual
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #116
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Sorry, I guess we see another instance where the Live Free or Die state lacks the common sense that other states have. As with not requiring drivers to have auto insurance both are instances of laws that really should be addressed and changed if for no other reason then a safety of those around. Oh and I might add helmet law, another touchy subject.
I'm curious why you think we need this insurance right now when its been this way all along or for as long as I can remember? There is a lot of other things more important than making sure everyone has insurance right now going on in this state.Have you been hit by an uninsured driver before? Don't we pay for uninsured drivers on our policy anyway? Insurance is like gambling. And we are in a state where the motto is Live Free or Die
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #117
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
I'm curious why you think we need this insurance right now when its been this way all along or for as long as I can remember? There is a lot of other things more important than making sure everyone has insurance right now going on in this state.Have you been hit by an uninsured driver before? Don't we pay for uninsured drivers on our policy anyway? Insurance is like gambling. And we are in a state where the motto is Live Free or Die
I agree. The next thing you know, the gubmint will force everybody to have health insurance!!
Off topic, sorry, couldn't resist....
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #118
Rusty

Quote:
Why should NH create a law to make people buy auto insurance when it already has a high percentage of insured motorist compared to states that require it:

Look at this chart and you will see that NH only has 11% who are uninsured drivers:

http://www.automotive-fleet.com/chan...motorists.aspx
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #119
Sal

So the chances are 1 in 9 that, if a person gets clipped
by a car, in NH, there will be no chance of recovery unless, of course, the clippER is a zillionaire and just didn't want to "waste" money on insurance.

Think about just who, among us, chooses to go uninsured. I find it's a
scary thought.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #120
jrc

While the rate of uninsured drivers is interesting, what I would be really interested in is the rate of uninsured accidents.

How often does an uninsured NH driver cause damage? If this was a huge problem we would already have an insurance requirement in the law. My one experience with an uninsured driver was an unlicensed driver from Massachusetts. I'm not trying to throw stones at our southern neighbors but that table shows the rate of uninsured licensed drivers, not the rate of uninsured people behind the wheel of a car.

As a side note, some of the people on this thread need a drivers-ed refresher course.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #121
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
While the rate of uninsured drivers is interesting, what I would be really interested in is the rate of uninsured accidents.

How often does an uninsured NH driver cause damage? If this was a huge problem we would already have an insurance requirement in the law. My one experience with an uninsured driver was an unlicensed driver from Massachusetts. I'm not trying to throw stones at our southern neighbors but that table shows the rate of uninsured licensed drivers, not the rate of uninsured people behind the wheel of a car.

As a side note, some of the people on this thread need a drivers-ed refresher course.

I'll throw stones..... I think if some of these "sanctuary" towns down here were put on the hook for the actions of their "refugees" then things would improve, and I am specifically talking about unlicensed illegals who cause damage or worse, death.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #122
fatlazyless

MA-4%, ME-4%, VT-7%,CT-10%, NH-11%, RI-18%; from the chart above; new england is relatively small in area compared to the rest of the 48-states, and here in new england, Rhode Island stands out with a relatively very high rate at 18%. Sure, I have heard that Rhode Island is sometimes called "the big hair state", but I gotta wonder why it is also the big uninsured & licensed-to-drive state? Why, why, why ...... anybody know why so high in Rhode Island and does it have anything to do with all that big hair?

With a population of about 1,050,000 people, 2012-wikipedia, Rhode Island has fewer people than Maine-1,329,000 and New Hampshire-1,320,000, and more than Vermont-626,000, so how come R.I. has so many uninsured? What's the problem down there in Rhode Island? ....say-hey....are there too many drunken sailors.....all three sheets to the wind....down in Newport on Narragansett Bay....that they cannot afford some car insurance coverage cause they is too busy drinking and sailing?

While it is pretty easy to go figure the New Hampshire number at 11% ....what the heck.....people just throw their arms up in the air and scream that this is the live free or die state..here in New Hampshire...car insurance is optional for you unless you have a bad driving history or something....so's the 11% is probably due to it being optional and many cannot afford it or something? After all, here in New Hampshire it is not too unusual to occasionally see a vehicle that's been all smashed up but still being driven on a regular basis......a sure sign of no insurance coverage.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #123
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Why should NH create a law to make people buy auto insurance when it already has a high percentage of insured motorist compared to states that require it:

Look at this chart and you will see that NH only has 11% who are uninsured drivers:

http://www.automotive-fleet.com/chan...motorists.aspx
11% is too much IMO- I wish I did not have to carry uninsured/under-insured insurance!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (04-25-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #124
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
After all, here in New Hampshire it is not too unusual to occasionally see a vehicle that's been all smashed up but still being driven on a regular basis......a sure sign of no insurance coverage.
I thought one accident or one ticket= insurance?
Old 04-25-2013, 02:31 AM   #125
ApS

Question Are Those Just Numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Think about just who, among us, chooses to go uninsured. I find it's a scary thought.
I got caught up in this—in a state that requires automobile insurance.

Over the telephone, I quickly bought into a policy with a company known for "lower rates". When it turned out to be nearly double my present coverage, I quit them without cancelling my other policy. So I had two nearly-identical policies overnight.

That didn't matter to the state, who sent me an official letter demanding my driver's license and registration tags.

Yet almost a quarter of this state's drivers drive uninsured!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #126
Diver Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
So the chances are 1 in 9 that, if a person gets clipped
by a car, in NH, there will be no chance of recovery unless, of course, the clippER is a zillionaire and just didn't want to "waste" money on insurance.

Think about just who, among us, chooses to go uninsured. I find it's a
scary thought.
Well not really. Just make sure you have very high liability limits on your own auto policy and matching uninsured motorist coverage. Ergo, if you or someone is injured by an uninsured jerk your own policy will respond to the UM claim the same way as if the tortfeasor had coverage. Physical damage on your car, the same would be applicable.
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #127
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I thought so too. My brother got hit-totally the other person's fault and she had to buy insurance after that. It is only liability they need to buy after an accident. So if someone smashes up their own car and only carries liability, they might choose to drive around with it smashed up. However, depending on the damage, they might not get it inspected the next time it is due.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #128
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Individuals found at fault for an uninsured accident are required to get insurance.
Therefore someone could be driving around with a car that has been in an accident and still not have insurance.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/d.../insurance.htm
fatlazyless (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #129
Belmont Resident

Default I stand corrected

Quote:
A little backup information with your interpretation of the laws would help.

Just a suggestion for future comments.

Here is the latest NH Drivers Manual...See page 42

Thanks,
Rusty
Rusty given that most living in NH are from somewhere else not everyone is up on NH laws. I like most others took my driving test in another state, one which has a lot more common sense when it comes to laws regarding safety on the road.
The fact that it is allowed doesn't make it right as many have posted, but is also indicated by the fact that it is in fact illegal in most states in NE.

As for the insurance thing, unfortunately people like you who have to have something hit close to home literally before they open their eyes and realize something is wrong with it. Lets just hope it is not a loved one who suffers at the hands of an uninsured and you or your family is left fighting for years and years in court with the insurance company.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #130
Rusty

Quote:
Rusty given that most living in NH are from somewhere else not everyone is up on NH laws. I like most others took my driving test in another state, one which has a lot more common sense when it comes to laws regarding safety on the road.
The fact that it is allowed doesn't make it right as many have posted, but is also indicated by the fact that it is in fact illegal in most states in NE.

As for the insurance thing, unfortunately people like you who have to have something hit close to home literally before they open their eyes and realize something is wrong with it. Lets just hope it is not a loved one who suffers at the hands of an uninsured and you or your family is left fighting for years and years in court with the insurance company.
"People like you"... "love one who suffers"...What on earth are you talking about.

Your arrogance on this forum is getting to be out of control.

I'll just let it go because you are not worth getting banned from this well run Lakes region forum.
Belmont Resident (04-25-2013), mcdude (04-26-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #131
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
B.R.

Just an fyi... it is legal to pass on the right not only in NH but all of New England. Here's basically what Mass, Maine, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island and NH say, pretty much all the same...

"The driver of a vehicle may, if the roadway is free from obstruction and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles, overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle when the vehicle overtaken is (a) making of about to make a left turn, (b) upon a one-way street, or (c) upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement."

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #132
RailroadJoe

I'm waiting for the "flying car". Then they can pass me overhead. As long as I don't have a convertible with the top down.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #133
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
B.R.

Just an fyi... it is legal to pass on the right not only in NH but all of New England. Here's basically what Mass, Maine, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island and NH say, pretty much all the same...

"The driver of a vehicle may, if the roadway is free from obstruction and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles, overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle when the vehicle overtaken is (a) making of about to make a left turn, (b) upon a one-way street, or (c) upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement."

Dan
This was one of the things that got my blood boiling when I first moved to New England over 30 years ago, until I found it was legal to pass on the right.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #134
Merrymeeting

I still like my rules (of course! :-) )

Doesn't matter what the speed limit is.
Doesn't matter what speed I'm going.
Doesn't matter what speed the person behind me wants to go.

If that person wants to go faster, I let them. As I am not a LEO, I figure it's not my job to force that person to go a certain speed. As soon as safely possible, I let them get by. Keeps my blood pressure down, probably theirs too.

And there's sometimes an added benefit, as just happened to me on Rt 28 between Alton and Wolfeboro at about 6:15 last night.

I was going about 60mph. Speed limit is 55. A red truck came up fast behind and started following close, clearly wishing to go faster. At the next passing area, I pulled a bit into the breakdown lane and slowed a bit. Of course, he went by.

I then had the pleasure of smiling at him and the Alton officer who had pulled him over a few miles later. Made my night...
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (04-25-2013), chipj29 (04-29-2013), mcdude (04-26-2013), Slickcraft (04-26-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #135
ITD

I believe 20 or 30 years ago the Feds made states accept things like allowing you to pass on the right on a divided highway to unify the driving laws across the country, they made this a requirement if a state wished to accept federal money for highway improvements and maintenance.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #136
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
I still like my rules (of course! :-) )

Doesn't matter what the speed limit is.
Doesn't matter what speed I'm going.
Doesn't matter what speed the person behind me wants to go.

If that person wants to go faster, I let them. As I am not a LEO, I figure it's not my job to force that person to go a certain speed. As soon as safely possible, I let them get by. Keeps my blood pressure down, probably theirs too.

And there's sometimes an added benefit, as just happened to me on Rt 28 between Alton and Wolfeboro at about 6:15 last night.

I was going about 60mph. Speed limit is 55. A red truck came up fast behind and started following close, clearly wishing to go faster. At the next passing area, I pulled a bit into the breakdown lane and slowed a bit. Of course, he went by.

I then had the pleasure of smiling at him and the Alton officer who had pulled him over a few miles later. Made my night...
Never, ever, speed between Alton and Wolfeboro or it is just a matter of time before you get pulled over.

That red truck might have saved you from being pulled over. Probably not, but you never know.

It is aggravating when you are going the speed limit or a little over and then someone tailgates you and you have to pull over a little to let him by. I'm glad that he got stopped.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #137
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
This was one of the things that got my blood boiling when I first moved to New England over 30 years ago, until I found it was legal to pass on the right.
I was living in Florida the year it went into effect in NH. I was very surprised when I moved back, at the increase of drivers that I thought were breaking the law. It does keep things moving.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #138
jrc

As a life-long commuter, I find the ideas of "don't pass on the right" and "keep right except to pass" quaint. These are throwbacks to a different time of nice, polite country roads. They really don't make any sense on high traffic interstates.
Attached Images

jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #139
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:

Germany does it right. You would not dare travel in the left lane on the Autobahln unless you were passing or traveling at a speed no one could catch you. Its so aggravating driving north on the mass exodus from florida when drivers sit in the left lane and then travel at the same speed as the driver in the next lane until road rage sets in and then there is a free for all to get around them. In areas where there are 3 lanes you can travel up to 85 in the slow lane for miles as there is no one there. Most drivers dont care at what speed you want to drive but dont sit in the left lane to prove a point
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #140
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
I was living in Florida the year it went into effect in NH. I was very surprised when I moved back, at the increase of drivers that I thought were breaking the law. It does keep things moving.
I agree things do move better. I was frustrated because I started to get into the right lane to allow them to pass and I guess I just wasn't fast enough in some cases.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #141
Happy Gourmand

I prefer to drive in the passing lane when there is no traffic. I have a bit more time to react in the event that a deer decides to run across the road. ( I have been involved in 2 incidents where this has happened). I especially prefer the passing lane at night with no traffic.
In traffic, I drive in the right lane except to pass.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #142
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I prefer to drive in the passing lane when there is no traffic. I have a bit more time to react in the event that a deer decides to run across the road. ( I have been involved in 2 incidents where this has happened). I especially prefer the passing lane at night with no traffic.
In traffic, I drive in the right lane except to pass.
Careful with that reasoning. The last close call I had with an animal was a black bear coming out of the woods of the median. The fact that I was in the right lane saved my butt (and his).
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #143
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default This would solve the dilemma!

If only I had one of these!
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #144
gtxrider

Default Make me think

Reading this post reminded me of a George Carlin quote "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

You should try driving in NJ
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #145
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
LOL.....Well I am one of those people that hardly ever does the speed limit. I am 54 years old and have only one speeding ticket to my name. No accidents...(Knocking on wood) If I am doing 45 in a 40 zone let's say and some guy comes up to my rear bumper. There is no way I am pulling over to let them go. Now if I was doing 30 in a 40 zone...Then sure I can see your point. But if I am doing 5 or 10 over the speed limit and someone wants to get past me....maybe I am saving someones life further down the road. The more mature thing is for the driver on my a$$ to slow down. Not me to pull over. But that's just me.
I hear you Paul, I was going 35 in the Mboro Gauntlet last year during bikeweek (5 over) when these donkeys in a mini-van came up on my butt. I stayed my speed and they passed me in front of the school. I never wished to see a Moultonborough cruiser so much in my life. The real bummer was that the three guys in the van were riders (or playing dress up)
Old 04-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #146
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
If only I had one of these!
Name:  Spatula.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  40.7 KB
That is just about the funniest cartoon I've ever seen...and you put a caption to it that made it even funnier.