Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
Islandbum

Default What’s easiest non toon to cover

Hate covering my boat. Those snaps are hard with age and arthritis.
Thinking maybe whaler.....any ideas?
Do not like toons or tritoons.
Islandbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandbum View Post

I only snap every other. Also, I throw a coat of Vaseline on every so often. Both of these make it exponentially easier.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Bernie Girl (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Lubricate the snaps

Lubricate the snaps. You can use a little Vaseline, Chap Stick, or spend the big bucks and get Snap Lubricant at your local marine store.

Any one of the three makes a ton of difference in snapping up the covers. Or do what I do; ask the wife if she will snap on the covers while I carry the trash to the dumpster.

Dave
LIforrelaxin (03-12-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
8gv

There is also a tool for prying off snaps.

I think I saw it at Parafunailia.

A center console boat with a T top is pretty easy but you might want to cover the upholstery with some kind of covers.

Stowing removable cushions is also possible.

Those things still take snaps but are more easily accessed.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
Little Bear

I have one of these for my boat in Florida. 2 minutes to cover / uncover. So easy, a caveman can do it:

https://marcocanvas.com/liberty-cover-system™
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
fatlazyless

If a neighbor complains to the Marine Patrol about this Marco Cover and its' support system blocking their view, most likely it would be considered similar to a canopy cover which requires a permit from the NH-DES.

On Lake Winnipesaukee and all NH lakes, you don't have the liberty to put up a Liberty Cover System.

Looking at it; it is a boat cover-draped curtain which hangs down over the boat and is supported by an overhead rigid aluminum horizontal rod with rigid aluminum vertical supports, and is similar to a CANOPY COVER.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-10-2019 at 03:18 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Windshield

I have a full windshield and leave my bimini up most of the time. When I want side or aft curtains, I start the zippers, then do snaps while canvas is slack, then go back and zip. I use WD-40 on snaps and buttons and zippers. Eventually canvas shrinks so much snaps become very difficult. I have had, on a previous boat, the canvas shop add an inch or two at the bottom. I've also seen canvas that doesn't snap but has several short bungee cords that fasten to hooks around the boat. Courtesy of previous owner, I have fitted covers for the helm and forward seats. Zippers. Although these seats are under cover, I install the seat covers when I'm gone to protect from the sun. Boat is 20 years old, original upholstery in good condition.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
Cal Coon

Boat house? Kind of hard to advise without knowing budget and other critical info.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 03-10-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Boat with hard top, side curtains and zipper roll up aft curtains plus self bailing hull
Attached Images

Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #10
radioman

Default Boat Covers

Lots of great advice! This is one of the least pleasant chores at the end of the day. The bigger the boat, the more snaps and cover orientation. Sorry!
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #11
Reilly

Default Cover

Buy a new boat every 5 years & don't cover it ,Detail it before u trade it
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #12
Little Bear

Default It’s a boat cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
If a neighbor complains to the Marine Patrol about this Marco Cover and its' support system blocking their view, most likely it would be considered similar to a canopy cover which requires a permit from the NH-DES.

On Lake Winnipesaukee and all NH lakes, you don't have the liberty to put up a Liberty Cover System.

Looking at it; it is a boat cover-draped curtain which hangs down over the boat and is supported by an overhead rigid aluminum horizontal rod with rigid aluminum vertical supports, and is similar to a CANOPY COVER.
They can kiss my A$$!
Old 03-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Well..... it may be no problem out on an island what with the huge two acre lots and 100's of feet of shoreline for each island lot, where everyone knows your name, and gets along so well as happy island neighbors.

But here on the main land .... life is tough and mean ...... it's like Somerville or Medford on the water, you understand ...... and some neighbor would be talk'n about it with the Marine Patrol faster than you can say "huh-what r you doing here?" to the Marine Patrol officer in their police boat....when they cruise in to assess this CANOPY COVER situation, right here!
Old 03-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #14
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Boat with hard top, side curtains and zipper roll up aft curtains plus self bailing hull
My son would love to have that boat very nice. Looks like it would be fun to have when the weather is not that great.

Back to the cover/snaps thread.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #15
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Well..... it may be no problem out on an island what with the huge two acre lots and 100's of feet of shoreline for each large lot, where everyone gets along so well as happy island neighbors.

But here on the main land .... life is tough and mean ...... it's like Somerville or Medford on the water, you understand ...... and some neighbor would be talk'n about it with the Marine Patrol faster than you can say "huh-what r you doing here?" to the Marine Patrol officer in their police boat....when they cruise in to assess this CANOPY COVER situation.
Marine Patrol has no jurisdiction over boat covers. And if my neighbor doesn’t like it, that’s too bad. I don’t like looking at his ugly wife!
Old 03-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #16
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
That boat looks to have "first one in, last one out" capability.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:15 AM   #17
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Marine Patrol has no jurisdiction over boat covers. And if my neighbor doesn’t like it, that’s too bad. I don’t like looking at his ugly wife!
Yes ...... well..... to you it is just a boat cover, but to your neighbor, it is a permanent canopy cover .... that clogs up their view! It's that thing, that tall aluminum frame structure that is always there, high up above your dock, plus the draped hanging boat cover for when your boat is uncovered or out boating. For your neighbor, it's that aluminum frame and cover that blocks the view, and never-ever goes away.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-11-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:09 AM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I think FLL is right. I think Concord would consider it a canopy.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:31 AM   #19
Reilly

Default ??? Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
I can't believe anyone could bring up a women's looks on the topic of boat covers ,or that the moderator would allow it , you must b the most self centered person on earth ???
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #20
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
My son would love to have that boat very nice. Looks like it would be fun to have when the weather is not that great.

Back to the cover/snaps thread.
In the 1st post the OP asked for non toon boat suggestions. Also the forum name suggested an islander
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:08 AM   #21
The Real BigGuy

Center console with slide on (no snap) console cover (it also covers the seat in front of the console) and slide on seat covers.

If you have to have snaps get an “Ironwood Snap Tool”. It will make all the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #22
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Have a cover on my boat lift in Fla....in and out with no hassle.
In NH we don't go out for short cruises any more because it's just not worth it to struggle with the mooring cover.....have a single dock so I have to lean over the rails to fasten it.Just not worth the trouble when you're all cooled off
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #23
Sleezstak

Well if you want to fight less, here are a couple of options. Snap extenders for places it is too tight or Stayput shock cord fasteners for that bungee type approach. Both work great. Not sure if the links below will work but at least I tried.

https://mrsnappy.com/product/boatsna...iABEgK0LfD_BwE

https://direct2boater.com/products/s...yABEgLdbvD_BwE
Sleezstak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleezstak For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (03-23-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #24
The Real BigGuy

Have the Stayput fasteners on the back of my 4 Winns. Great system but only last 2 or 3 years before they stretch out and need to be replaced. Work well in combination with regular snaps

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #25
DesertDweller

I'll second the center console suggestion (which is what I have). Very easy to slide cover over the console and the seat/leaning post behind the console. Usually have a draw string or elastic cord at the bottom to keep it tight. I just throw the front and/or rear seat cushions in the console and that way they don't need to be covered.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:14 AM   #26
Water Camper

Default Easiest Cover

Quote:
I have a FourWinns 225 Sundowner that for its first 20 years I covered with a full mooring cover. After 20 years of use the mooring cover kind of disintergrated. The boat already had snaps for a full camper cover which I would use occasionally when we overnighted in the boat. I had Ship Shape make me a custom cockpit cover utilizing the existing snaps. I now love the ease of putting the cover on and removing it. I also employ only snapping every other snap, except for the windshield.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #27
Kamper

A flat screw driver works great to undo snaps. Round off the edges with a file or get a pocket knife that has a screw-driver blade.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #28
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I'm getting to the age where I hate everything about taking care of a boat. I'm seriously think of selling it and joining the boat club. No matter how well you take care of it, it's a depreciating asset.

Every year it seems I spend more hours taking care of it than I do enjoying it. I'm a fair weather boater so I only like going out in beautiful weather. For me, going forward, it seems like a better option.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #29
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Well from the tone hear you are looking for a new boat to begin with...
My suggestion is to have a cover custom made... As them to make it loose fitting for easy of putting the cover on...

That aside... yep a whaler or such where you have a basic self draining hull, and removable cushions is the best... You take the cushions in and consider the boat covered
Old 03-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #30
Descant

Default Marina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I'm getting to the age where I hate everything about taking care of a boat. I'm seriously think of selling it and joining the boat club. No matter how well you take care of it, it's a depreciating asset.

Every year it seems I spend more hours taking care of it than I do enjoying it. I'm a fair weather boater so I only like going out in beautiful weather. For me, going forward, it seems like a better option.
Have your marina do all that stuff. If people pay you to take care of their car, why don't you pay somebody to take care of your boat? If you use valet storage, there really isn't much to do except call when you want the boat, and leave a note with work requests, if any, when you're done.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #31
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Have your marina do all that stuff. If people pay you to take care of their car, why don't you pay somebody to take care of your boat? If you use valet storage, there really isn't much to do except call when you want the boat, and leave a note with work requests, if any, when you're done.
That just adds to the cost of ownership which puts it way over the cost of the boat club fee if you also figure in the depreciation of the boat.

My house is on Waukewan so if I want to go on the big lake I have to pull it, wash it down and get to the Meredith ramp early.
I have a Sea doo also so I'm thinking of selling the boat and buying another Sea doo for my dock in Waukewan and joining the boat club when I want to go out on the big lake.

For me it just seems like a great option. The Sea doo's are easy to take care of. Plus with 3 adult children, their spouses, and 6 grandchildren, I need a bigger boat when the whole family comes to visit. My wife wants me to rent the 23' toon at Meredith Marina for the week when they all come up for vacation. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited by Biggd; 03-12-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #32
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Whalers are nice but stupidly expensive new or used. No argument they make a nice boat but really the prices they fetch is just plain obscene.

I really wanted one but could not justify the cost.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #33
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Whalers are nice but stupidly expensive new or used. No argument they make a nice boat but really the prices they fetch is just plain obscene.

I really wanted one but could not justify the cost.
It is one boat that doesn't depreciate much unlike most others. Old Whalers still bring big bucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #34
Descant

Default Look Ma! No canvas.

Quote:
Look Ma! No canvas. Eastern or Seaway. Made in Milton, NH.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #35
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Look Ma! No canvas. Eastern or Seaway. Made in Milton, NH.
Look! No Canvas!

I also got tired of putting on and taking off the canvas and cleaning the water line off of the boat. I found a solution and it works great and it comes with winter storage too! It was a little costly but the canvas still looks like new!

Wait for it

Wait for it

Sorry!!
Attached Images

Last edited by TiltonBB; 03-13-2019 at 06:51 PM.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #36
Sleezstak

Now you have to keep the boat garage clean.
Sleezstak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #37
Descant

TiltonBB: Since the OP's Forum name is "Islandbum," I'd guess he keeps his boat in the water, not on a trailer. OTOH, buying a new boat may be about the sane price as a garage.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #38
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Boat garage is a continuing expense

Quote:
TiltonBB: Since the OP's Forum name is "Islandbum," I'd guess he keeps his boat in the water, not on a trailer. OTOH, buying a new boat may be about the sane price as a garage.
Of course, with a boat garage, there are annual continuing expenses such as taxes and maintenance .

Dave
Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #39
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

OK...I'm jealous
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #40
Dave R

Rather than try to find a boat you can cover more easily, you could just get a boat that does not need a cover.

A welded aluminum boat with a self-bailing and carpetless cockpit; and an enclosed helm, could be left uncovered all the time with no worries about sun or water damage. Look at PNW boats like Duckworth. Eastern boats would be similar if you prefer fiberglass.

Alternatively, a white, commercial-built (meaning rugged but not fancy), fiberglass center-console, with a T-top and no upholstery would work well too. White gel coat will look good after years in the sun and the T-top will keep the sun off the helm area.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #41
Kamper

If you do like the boat you have, you may be able to get a 'border' added to your current cover to provide some slack. Or, make up some garters to extend the snap reach. Garters may allow the wind to get under your cover though.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #42
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Look! No Canvas!

I also got tired of putting on and taking off the canvas and cleaning the water line off of the boat. I found a solution and it works great and it comes with winter storage too! It was a little costly but the canvas still looks like new!

Wait for it

Wait for it

Sorry!!

Nice boat...how much do you want for it?!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-15-2019, 07:04 AM   #43
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Nice boat...how much do you want for it?!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I actually sold that boat when it was 12 years old. I don't have a picture of the current boat. The boat in the picture still looked like new because it spent it's entire life in a boathouse, out of the sun, except when it was being used. And that includes winters. I have someone who comes to the house and winterizes it in the lift. (I could try, but I know I would screw something up) I always took it out of the water once a year to wax it, but other than oil changes the maintenance was minimal.

I know I am fortunate to have the boathouse. Prior to 2003 I spent many years at Mountain View and I hated the job of putting the canvas on. I ended up buying some of those one inch snap extensions because the older canvas just got too tight.

It is nice in the spring when it is time to use the boat for the first time. Push the remote to lower it into the water and turn the battery switch on. That is spring launch!
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #44
Descant

Default One down...

OK. You sold the boat. How much for the boathouse? I'm jealous.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #45
TiltonBB

Quote:
OK. You sold the boat. How much for the boathouse? I'm jealous.
It came with the rest of the property, land, main house Etc so no separate price. I have another boat in there now. Prior to the house I stayed on my boat at Mountain View every weekend. I looked at a lot of property in 2003 but the boathouse was the reason I went for this one. I am fortunate and grateful that it has worked out. I think my next residence will involve a toe tag.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:15 AM   #46
ApS

Thumbs up Craftsman [Marine] Snap Kit...$17.50...No Tax State...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I actually sold that boat when it was 12 years old. I don't have a picture of the current boat. The boat in the picture still looked like new because it spent it's entire life in a boathouse, out of the sun, except when it was being used. And that includes winters. I have someone who comes to the house and winterizes it in the lift. (I could try, but I know I would screw something up) I always took it out of the water once a year to wax it, but other than oil changes the maintenance was minimal. I know I am fortunate to have the boathouse. Prior to 2003 I spent many years at Mountain View and I hated the job of putting the canvas on. I ended up buying some of those one inch snap extensions because the older canvas just got too tight. It is nice in the spring when it is time to use the boat for the first time. Push the remote to lower it into the water and turn the battery switch on. That is spring launch!
Amazon.com just sent me an unsolicited pop-up regarding a Craftsman product—that with a hammer or screwdriver—can install additional [marine] snaps or snap-extensions of your choice:

Through Craigslist, I sold the remnants of my marine kit for $40!

Lowes has a sale on "selected Craftsman products", but be forewarned that they're usually the big-ticket items.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #47
fatlazyless

About a week ago a LaDaSun article on the new Galeon 56' Sky boat and owner mentioned his old boat required too much time doing cover snaps, while the new Galeon has no cover snaps, his #1 reason for a new boat. You simply push a single button and the Sky opens up.

www.galeon.pl/en/model/560-skydeck ..... about $1.5-mil, new ....well now .... instead of a stand-up bimini, Sunbrella top .... it has a large sliding laminate roof to close off the fly bridge ... isn't that nice ..... no balky snaps and no stiff zippers here ...... just-a push-a an electric button!

Yes ..... well, the Sunbrella cover on my 16' Alumacraft side-steer was made in 1993 by Villiage Canvas and is still getting it done ..... a wee bit ragged here and there but talk about getting your money's worth! ..... way less than $1.5-mil .... a wee bit small for Winnipesaukee but twice the fun!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-02-2019 at 01:45 PM.