Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
Red apple

Default Another Hit and Run at Wolfeboro Town Dock, Red Stingray

This was last Saturday July 12th at 1:30 in the afternoon. As we were standing next to the hot dog cart a red 22' (approximately) Sting ray with the NH Hull id of NH? 24_1_J backed out of the front space and decided to play bumper boats with our boat, a cobalt and another one. There were two middle age couples in the boat and not one of them even tried to push off another boat nor did the driver even lift up his head. When we ran down the dock and yelled to the boat the driver completely ignored us and didn't even look up and drove away. First off why are SOME boaters this rude that will do not care at all about other peoples property and that of there own. We were able to get some of the hull numbers and marine patrol is looking into it but with limited resources and help they may not get to it for a while. If anyone can help fill in blanks on the Hull ID please PM me. As rude and wrong as this was I wouldn't want the rest of there hull id for everyone to see as it may of been a honest mistake....Ya right if they were def and blind maybe.
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
Not to Worry

Default Fenders

I always put more fenders on the side opposite the dock to try and protect my boat. I also suggest pulling as far in as possible to avoid as many people going in and out as possible.
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

That really s##ks
I hope they get caught.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red apple View Post
This was last Saturday July 12th at 1:30 in the afternoon. As we were standing next to the hot dog cart a red 22' (approximately) Sting ray with the NH Hull id of NH? 24_1_J backed out of the front space and decided to play bumper boats with our boat, a cobalt and another one. There were two middle age couples in the boat and not one of them even tried to push off another boat nor did the driver even lift up his head. When we ran down the dock and yelled to the boat the driver completely ignored us and didn't even look up and drove away. First off why are SOME boaters this rude that will do not care at all about other peoples property and that of there own. We were able to get some of the hull numbers and marine patrol is looking into it but with limited resources and help they may not get to it for a while. If anyone can help fill in blanks on the Hull ID please PM me. As rude and wrong as this was I wouldn't want the rest of there hull id for everyone to see as it may of been a honest mistake....Ya right if they were def and blind maybe.
I do hope they get caught as others have expressed. But I do wonder if this a new phenomena this year or has it been a problem in years past and to this extent? I tend to avoid the Wolfeboro town docks due to this potential and the configuration of the docks in general.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Red apple

This is always been somewhat of a issue but in the past we have always saw people in the boat helping so there was no damage or we on the dicks would help. This guy was going so fast there was no helping him.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Bear Islander

If the bow number is NH then the last letters must be AJ or BJ since they have not gotten to the letter "C" yet. That only leaves one number missing and a maximum of 20 boats registration to look at to find a red Sting Ray.

I would think the Marine Patrol could figure this out.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
Dave R (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
jrc

I understand your frustration with this person but was there any injuries or property damage?

I would guess if someone was injured the Marina Patrol would be scouring the registration data as BI says and finding the perpetrator. If you have property damage, submit a claim to your insurance company and get them on same mission.

It wasn't me in the Stingray but I have bumped boats while docking, that's why I have rub rails, fenders and insurance. Accidents happen.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
Billy Bob

Default why stop

agree with previous post . You don't mention any damage so whats the point ?
what were you going to say to the guy if there was no damage.
Get over it , its just a boat
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
agree with previous post . You don't mention any damage so whats the point ?
what were you going to say to the guy if there was no damage.
Get over it , its just a boat
Maybe the point is that there's a boat out there that managed to hit not one, but 3 boats at the docks, and they didn't even look back. It can be frightening to realize that there are people that can be so oblivious, ignorant, and disrespectful. And these people are piloting a boat on a lake we all have to share.
I would have followed them out, asked them to see if there was any damage and taken their bow number.
" Get over it"?! Hell no!
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (07-19-2014), rgilfert (08-04-2014), Webbsatwinni (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
EllyPoinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
If the bow number is NH then the last letters must be AJ or BJ since they have not gotten to the letter "C" yet. That only leaves one number missing and a maximum of 20 boats registration to look at to find a red Sting Ray.

You sure about that? My bowrider, first registered in 2002 is "BH". My PWC, first registered just a few weeks ago, is "PB".
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
jrc

I guess my question address the lack of success finding the perpetrator. The Marine Patrol is not really incentivized to find them unless a crime was committed. If there are damages then obviously people can pursue reparations.

Otherwise, what's the point, find them and yell at them?
Old 07-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
4Fun

There are people that care very much about the cosmetic appearance of there stuff. We are the ones that park at the back of the parking lot with our cars and have extra fenders out at the dock. We don't go through auto car washes or strap mattersses to our roofs.

There are other people that do not feel the same way or even care at all so a scratch or ding is just normal wear and tear. It stinks, but I have come to just accept the fact my car will be dinged unless I park with my own kind WAAAAAY away from everyone else.
Its the same with boats, the inside spots are the only place if you don't want gouges on your hull. Unfortunatly they are not always available.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4Fun For This Useful Post:
Webbsatwinni (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
Red apple

There was damage in three area's that are not something that would just buff out. We did call the insurance company and hopefully they will have better luck with marine patrol than we did.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red apple For This Useful Post:
jrc (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:

By reg ends in BN, and was new three years ago. Seems that the last two digits pertain to the issuing agency or marina. My previous boat ended in BN as well.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
diz

Quote:

My numbers end with WX.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #16
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I understand your frustration with this person but was there any injuries or property damage?

I would guess if someone was injured the Marina Patrol would be scouring the registration data as BI says and finding the perpetrator. If you have property damage, submit a claim to your insurance company and get them on same mission.

It wasn't me in the Stingray but I have bumped boats while docking, that's why I have rub rails, fenders and insurance. Accidents happen.
I think this post sums up the issue, if you hit a car in a parking lot, you find the owner, why not in a boat. This is also why there should be a practical test with the written for boating, to teach docking skills. It is appalling how many boaters can't dock well, driving a boat in wide open water is easy, docking is a skill and so is that of the crew and the awareness of the surroundings. You can go any day to any town dock and witness this same issue, maybe there should be a thread started to post pictures of the event as it unfolds (Like the winter harbor videos).

It is getting worse here than other places we boat, I guess it is part of the safe boating environment that was desired by a few. And the rental boat issue needs attention, the danger and accidents waiting to happen there should be causing concern to everyone that values their safety and their property.

**Rant End**
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Webbsatwinni For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
I think this post sums up the issue, if you hit a car in a parking lot, you find the owner, why not in a boat. This is also why there should be a practical test with the written for boating, to teach docking skills. It is appalling how many boaters can't dock well, driving a boat in wide open water is easy, docking is a skill and so is that of the crew and the awareness of the surroundings. You can go any day to any town dock and witness this same issue, maybe there should be a thread started to post pictures of the event as it unfolds (Like the winter harbor videos).

It is getting worse here than other places we boat, I guess it is part of the safe boating environment that was desired by a few. And the rental boat issue needs attention, the danger and accidents waiting to happen there should be causing concern to everyone that values their safety and their property.

**Rant End**
Don't start this again, PLEASE!! We have already figured out that requiring the course has not helped make the lake safer. Now you think we need a driving test? Do people still have accidents in their cars? Yes, and they will still have them with their boats. YES! No more laws, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Aldidonato (07-18-2014), chasedawg (07-18-2014), Descant (07-21-2014), Grandpa Redneck (07-18-2014), Heading4thelake (07-19-2014), HomeWood (07-21-2014), ishoot308 (07-18-2014), jrc (07-20-2014), Lakepilot (07-19-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #18
Webbsatwinni

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Don't start this again, PLEASE!! We have already figured out that requiring the course has not helped make the lake safer. Now you think we need a driving test? Do people still have accidents in their cars? Yes, and they will still have them with their boats. YES! No more laws, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!
I'm not for more legislation that takes away freedoms, but making people learn to dock would save the gelcoat of innocent boats left at the docks. Let's trade speeding in the broads for docking school, that would be a fair trade.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #19
glennsteely

Default Question?

Is there a penalty for "hit and run" in a boat, like there is, say, in a car? In a car, it carries a stiff penalty, loss of driving privledges in some states, I believe. What is the rule of thumb for boats in NH?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #20
Chaselady

Quote:
All the more reason to speak up to people that clearly don't know what they're doing. I sense an attitude here, of "oh well" it won't do any good to say anything, so just let it go. We have to see that boating is not like it used to be. There are more boats, faster boats, bigger props and more knuckleheads.
I don't think more laws will do anything, but I believe we can't stick our heads in the sand and pretend we have no power.
It's up to us. We are the experienced boaters.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #21
Red apple

Default Another Hit and Run at Wolfeboro Town Dock, Red Stingray

It's the point that some people should not be behind the wheel of a boat. There should be some type of penalty for these "dumb ass" who have no clue at all how to boat or how to dock. Yes most of us have insurance but what about the 2-3 weeks the boat is in repair.... It's not like you can get rental coverage on your boat like a automobile. So some ID10T trashes three boats, doesn't stop and if he did he gets a slap on the wrist from the MP as there is no fine (that I know of) for boaters like that of a auto.
BTW spoke to MP and they did say they can and will the rest of the hull ID but there is nothing they can do legally but forward to our insurance company.

Last edited by Red apple; 07-18-2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: not complete
Old 07-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #22
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I agree, some people just don't care. They break the rules every day. Instead of spending the money on the courses, which must be an awful lot, we could spend more on enforcement. That is the only real deterrent. I don't see it happening now though, as "licenses" (even though they are not called that) are a big bureaucracy, not only in this state but all over the country.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #23
Webbsatwinni

We could do it this way, if you see an event, take a pic and post it. In this pic from the weirs a few Saturdays ago, the driver is standing on the bow trying to recover from real bad docking skills. The worst part, the boat was still in gear and going forward without a driver when it hit the boats.

After hitting the boats, they drove off laughing.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Webbsatwinni For This Useful Post:
trfour (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #24
Chaselady

Quote:
I agree, some people just don't care. They break the rules every day. Instead of spending the money on the courses, which must be an awful lot, we could spend more on enforcement. That is the only real deterrent. I don't see it happening now though, as "licenses" (even though they are not called that) are a big bureaucracy, not only in this state but all over the country.
The MP are already shaved down to a fraction of what they need to be, to enforce this lake the way it should be with the ever increasing amount of traffic.
All the more reason to speak up to people that are being bone heads. If we do nothing, nothing happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-21-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #25
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
I'm not for more legislation that takes away freedoms...
All regulations take away freedoms.

But leaving the libertarian stuff aside, how could you possibly have driving tests for boaters without government infrastructure? Since different types of boat react differently while docking, you need different levels of licenses and tests. You can't have someone take the test in a 16' outboard and then drive a 38' Carver. You need trained marine patrol people to write administer and grade the testing.

What we all really want is people to be responsible for their actions. If you damage someone's property, fess up and pay for it. We already have that law.

BTW docking is hard, even really good licensed captains make mistakes.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #26
ApS

Post Let It Go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red apple View Post
There was damage in three area's that are not something that would just buff out. We did call the insurance company and hopefully they will have better luck with marine patrol than we did.
Insurance companies mostly just "crunch numbers". In this relatively minor case, they're not likely to pursue the perpetrator—but just compensate you with a check—and then raise your rates.

As to boat numbers, the missing letter would most likely be a "B". Having said that, I'd advise not pursuing the case any further by "making it personal".
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #27
Happy Gourmand

Quote:

The letters on my boat, a 2012 Premier are KJ
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #28
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
All regulations take away freedoms.

But leaving the libertarian stuff aside, how could you possibly have driving tests for boaters without government infrastructure? Since different types of boat react differently while docking, you need different levels of licenses and tests. You can't have someone take the test in a 16' outboard and then drive a 38' Carver. You need trained marine patrol people to write administer and grade the testing.

What we all really want is people to be responsible for their actions. If you damage someone's property, fess up and pay for it. We already have that law.

BTW docking is hard, even really good licensed captains make mistakes.
Docking is hard, but so isn't driving a motorcycle and there are practical taste for that, it seems to me that by slowing and quieting the boats, the liberals looked in the wrong place, one big gap remains.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Webbsatwinni For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-21-2014), winnasake (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #29
jrc

I guess with all the problems of the world, a few scofflaws scratching boats at the town docks doesn't seem worthy of a new government bureaucracy.

Apples and oranges, poor driving skills on a motorcycle can kill people, poor docking skills might lead to some minor property damage. You'd really have to stretch the bounds of believability to find a serious injury related to docking a pleasure boat.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #30
robmac

While it does s*** when it happens think how you would feel if were yours. I for one wouldn't be to warm and fuzzy. If I can give you help having had a Stingray in the past they are pretty easy to narrow down model by color. If it was a solid red it would be an SX model and to my knowledge only one on the lake full time a 220SX
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
Red apple (07-30-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #31
jrc

Just to be clear, I'm not against people being responsible for damage they cause or people searching for people who damage their property.

I am against installing a government bureaucracy to test pleasure boater docking skills, a mandatory licensing system to insure that people have their docking skills tested and an armed police force to enforce all this.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #32
Webbsatwinni

Default And now it was my boat that was hit.

I was getting Ice Cream with the kids late Sunday, eating it in the gazebo when we saw a boat trying to dock on the end of an empty dock that was across from where we docked. The back then swung out and the driver hit reverse and it was hard to tell if the swim platform hit out boat or if the girl attempting to save it on the back pushed our boat into the dock making the loud noise. We inspected ours and luckily there was no visual damage (I swam under it when I got home to make sure and it looked ok).

We then walked over to the people on the boat and the girl immediately started saying that they didn't hit it and whats the issue. Then the driver said and I quote "the bimini top on this new boat acts like a sail when docking and I can't control it". I not nicely suggested to him that he learn to boat and if he can't dock on an empty dock that he shouldn't be boating until he learns. It was a nice brand new mastercraft wakeboard boat and you would think that he would be more upset that he backed into another boat.

Glad there was no damage, but the docks were empty and all ends were open, its not like he was going for deep and needed any skill to dock.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #33
8gv

Does a Mastercraft wakeboard boat have a straight inboard or a Vee drive?

I wonder if he was accustomed to working with the directed thrust that a stern drive provides.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #34
drwamcross

Default Docking Tests

Not only would tests for docking need a new government bureaucracy but it would not be a successful answer. Testing someone at Meredith on a Wednesday with the sun shining and no wind is a lot different than docking a boat at a dock off the Broads on a weekend with the wind blowing white caps across the lake.

The only answer is experience and to get that, there will be accidents. As was pointed out earlier in the thread, the issue is taking responsibility for your actions, not relying on government to assume an impossible task.
drwamcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #35
NH_boater

Always amazes me to see someone fighting the wind, while docking or anchoring, with their bimini up.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #36
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default bimini

It's not the Bimini. It's the side curtains. The wind blows horizontally, right? Are you showing canvas to the wind or the rain?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Webbsatwinni (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #37
ApS

Smile Not to Worry—Indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not to Worry View Post
I always put more fenders on the side opposite the dock to try and protect my boat. I also suggest pulling as far in as possible to avoid as many people going in and out as possible.
Yes, there are ways to limit one's exposure to damage—as you say.

1) The discussion starts with "Hit and Run"—which doesn't apply here—it's not a criminal matter. I see it used with respect to struck pedestrians or disabling auto crashes, where the perpetrator flees the scene. Since the "offended" here have no damage that approaches "nine coats of varnish" (on a mahogany Laker), this doesn't rate serious discussion.

2) Years ago. somebody ran their boat into our piling dock—no damage to the dock, but they'd hit hard enough to leave their modern docking light behind. Like our dock, Wolfeboro town docks are perched on long wooden pilings, which will "yield" a bit to limit boat damage. (Facing the end, try moving a town dock—by shifting your weight alternately to left and right—you'd be surprised!)

3) Britain (UK) requires very high standards when it comes to boating licenses: boat operators are required to demonstrate sailing, rowing, paddling and weather-determination skills. We don't have any of those skills demanded or tested here. The above skills ease the transition to power boating, rather than beginning one's long boating adventure with an oversized boat.

Book title: "First, Row a Small Boat".

4) As to "weather skills", the below photo is a boater who is running from a recent thunderstorm. (Note the direction of the waves). He headed out of sight—to a dead end—then turned around to head directly back into the approaching storm.

Boaters should always have safety options ahead of time—and be aware of weather changes.

Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 08-13-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: tidy...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #38
SIKSUKR

Huh?
Happy Gourmand (08-13-2014), Ryan (08-13-2014), trfour (08-14-2014)