Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
CateP

Default My Week in NH

Hi Everyone,
I'm here in Laconia staying at the Naswa for the week. (just heard my first loon call.) Happy, happy, happy to be here. I toured Wolfeboro yesterday afternoon and got a VERY good feeling of home there. (I have been to Wolfeboro many, many times when my family had a vacation house in Melvin Village, but never as a potential resident. Much different perspective.) I am meeting with a resident of Wolfeboro this week who is also a forum member, for an orientation tour.

Had a big stuffed lobster roll at Pop's in Alton last night. About $15 bucks with tax. (That 8% prepared food tax is up there-going grocery shopping later today)

Working today and then off the rest of week. Feels like summer is in full swing. Wish I had brought my Sunfish to sail.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
CateP

Default Took a Dip

Took a dip in the big lake today. Wow. That was brisk!!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Great Northern Cleaning

Default Welcome to the area!!

Hey Cate,

I wish I had read your post earlier, we went right by the Naswa on the boat today. Could have given you a ride around Winnipesaukee. We clean a few camps on Sleeper and Rattlesnake islands. Its tough having to go out on the boat to go to work Well enjoy your visit. Frank

www.greatnortherncleaning.com
Great Northern Cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Took a dip in the big lake today. Wow. That was brisk!!
Remember this, our lake water is not cold but invigorating!
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Remember this, our lake water is not cold but invigorating!
don't forget refreshing, especially with 80 degree days.
went in several times yesterday, it rejuvenates the soul after spending a few minutes in.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
Marauder (06-05-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
martbri7

you missed the best part....getting bit by a mosquito or listening to it buzz by your ear at night while you sleep....glad you had a good time
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
CateP

Default Mirror Lake?

Okay-this is my first chance to write on the forum. I had a really busy week meeting people (old friends and new), looking at houses, exploring neighborhoods in Wolfeboro, and climbing Rattlesnake in Holderness. Absolutely fabulous time. I LOVE IT HERE!!

I have history here so all is not new to me, but after 13 years in NJ, the contrast is incredible. I feel like I'm remembering who I am and what I love about NH.

So, here's the latest on my house hunting, in the Wolfeboro area. I am looking at properties over on Mirror Lake Drive in Tuftonboro. (About 4 miles from Wolfeboro) If I were a property owner over there I would have lake access and could moor my Sunfish without a permit. Fabulous.

Does anyone know about Mirror Lake? Are there loons there?
Old 06-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
jkjoshuatree

Default Hey Cate...

I looked at land on Mirror lake about 2 years ago and was about to buy a double lot until the realtor told me not to let my dogs swim in the water.

He said there was a type of bacteria in the lake that could be deadly to canines.

What kind of bacteria could be deadly to dogs but safe for humans to swim in is beyond me, but I was disappointed nonetheless.

I loved it over there...quiet and secluded, yet close to Wolfeboro.

I also must mention that I have absolutely no idea if there is any truth to the realtor's statement but if he wanted commission I don't know why he would lie.

I'm sure other Winni Forum members have more info than I do but I just wanted to mention it because I know you have a pup(s).
CateP (06-04-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Mirror Lake has had bacteria issues the past two or three years. They are all pointing fingers, some say it is from the runoff of the Wolfeboro sewer system which has been changed. Some say it is just people's septics. There is a Mirror Lake Association that may give you some info. I don't know if they have a website or not. You could also get information from the Tuftonboro Conservation Comission, I would think. It is a very pretty little lake. It is a shallow lake. It is too bad they have had these issues.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
CateP (06-04-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Chris Exley

Quote:

Does anyone know about Mirror Lake? Are there loons there?
I live on Mirror Lake Drive! It is INCREDIBLE! Peaceful. Great Neighbors! Yeah, they have had a couple of outbreaks of cyanobacteria in the past few years, but it really has not been a big deal. My brothers dogs go in the lake all the time. My family has been on the lake since 1957 (in fact, my grandfather bought the first house on that drive). A busy day on the lake is 3 jet skis and 4 or 5 boats on the lake at the same time. YES, THERE ARE LOONS! Sometimes they come around us when we are fishing. We just stop fishing and enjoy their beauty.

Hope to see you there!
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Exley For This Useful Post:
CateP (06-04-2011), jkjoshuatree (06-04-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Chris Exley

Default clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Exley View Post
I live on Mirror Lake Drive!
Well, I don't live there full time, yet! Still stuck in Pennsylvania, but we have the cottage there. Didn't want to confuse you!
Old 06-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Exley View Post
I live on Mirror Lake Drive! It is INCREDIBLE! Peaceful. Great Neighbors! Yeah, they have had a couple of outbreaks of cyanobacteria in the past few years, but it really has not been a big deal. My brothers dogs go in the lake all the time. My family has been on the lake since 1957 (in fact, my grandfather bought the first house on that drive). A busy day on the lake is 3 jet skis and 4 or 5 boats on the lake at the same time. YES, THERE ARE LOONS! Sometimes they come around us when we are fishing. We just stop fishing and enjoy their beauty.

Hope to see you there!
Hi Chris,
I would be living there full-time with dogs and don't want them to get sick. It looks like there is enough of a problem with cyanobacteria that the Mirror Lake Protective Association sent a letter to residents acknowledging the "pollution" last year.
http://mirrorlakenh.org/forms/Notice...al_Meeting.pdf.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but it would really upset me if my doggies (or I) got sick from the lake.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
Chris Exley

Quote:
Hi Chris,
I would be living there full-time with dogs and don't want them to get sick. It looks like there is enough of a problem with cyanobacteria that the Mirror Lake Protective Association sent a letter to residents acknowledging the "pollution" last year.
http://mirrorlakenh.org/forms/Notice...al_Meeting.pdf.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but it would really upset me if my doggies (or I) got sick from the lake.
3 outbreaks in one small area of the lake. That is what they called an outbreak (over on the other side of the lake). I think they are being alarmist for no reason. But, that is just me.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
CateP

I talked to some friends from Gilford tonight at dinner and they said there were beach closings at their beach for ecoli (duck itch) and the cyanobacteria blooms were not uncommon in the lakes either. They said most of these outbreaks are brief and in the heat of summer. They also said I should listen to residents that live in the area because they probably know better about conditions and history than other folks. That made me feel MUCH better about Mirror Lake, so THANK YOU Chris!!!

Last edited by CateP; 06-04-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling error
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (06-04-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
Rattlesnake Guy

CateP,
So the lesson to take away from this one is don't feed the ducks. Not on Mirror Lake, Not in Meridith, Not anywhere. They poop in the water and cause duck itch and e-coli.

And when you go in the water in any of the lakes, you are safest with some sun screen before you go in and a brisk dry off with a dry towel when you get out. (Don't air dry as this is what the parasites like to make residence)

I shower in lake water probably a 100 times a year without a problem. (But we discourage ducks from our area and don't have any shallow water areas)

And remember, don't feed the ducks.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
And remember, don't feed the ducks.
I've seen many friendly ducks during my week at the lake. They swim by and eye you up. They appear nonchalant as if they don't care, but I know they do... a LOT.

But I have a no wild animal feeding policy that has been in effect for decades.
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #17
NoRegrets

Are you comming back for bike week?
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #18
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
Are you comming back for bike week?
No bike week this year. Although it seemed like things were revving up over here at the Weirs. (I had breakfast at Donna Jean's and then lunch with friends over at Squam and then sat on a bench at Melvin Village and looked at the water. Quiet day. My last day...
Old 06-06-2011, 04:58 AM   #19
ApS

Exclamation Sailor to Sailor...

Quote:
Wish I had brought my Sunfish to sail.
I think you'd find that Mirror Lake is not only shielded from winds, but the area deep enough for sailing would eventually make Mirror Lake a small and boring tour—even by Sunfish. I can't say why, but the Sunfish I bought from a Mirror Lake summer resident—from Pennsylvania—had a perfect daggerboard.

The really good part, is that Mirror Lake would be a good "sail" when the frequent strong winds on nearby Lake Winnipesaukee can keep smaller sailboats at the dock.

If you want near-perfect waters for nearly everything, check out Lake Wentworth. It's quiet, deep, and large enough to make your sailing experience very rewarding. Their association is effective, informative and quite active.

http://www.lwa.org/index.php?option=...=133&Itemid=39

Parts of Lake Wentworth are close to downtown Wolfeboro.

Some parts are far away!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
CateP (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #20
CateP

Default Where can I laucnh a Sunfish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post

If you want near-perfect waters for nearly everything, check out Lake Wentworth. It's quiet, deep, and large enough to make your sailing experience very rewarding. Their association is effective, informative and quite active.

http://www.lwa.org/index.php?option=...=133&Itemid=39

Parts of Lake Wentworth are close to downtown Wolfeboro.

Some parts are far away!
Where can I launch my Sunfish? The public launch seems to be in a place where it would be hard to sail out of?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #21
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

If you did buy on Mirror Lake, you could launchto Winnipesaukee right by the Libby Museum which is about a mile from the northern end of Mirror Lake.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #22
CateP

Default Sunfish Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
If you did buy on Mirror Lake, you could launchto Winnipesaukee right by the Libby Museum which is about a mile from the northern end of Mirror Lake.
I actually found several nice launch places onto Winnipesaukee over near Wolfeboro and Tuftonboro. Including my old haunt in Melvin Village.
Some really nice bays over there...and pretty wild when the wind gets kickin' up.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #23
ApS

Arrow Directly on Route 109, Headin' East...

Quote:
Where can I launch my Sunfish? The public launch seems to be in a place where it would be hard to sail out of?
You could launch and moor your Sunfish just east of Wentworth State Park. Yours would join other happy Sunfish moored there in sandy and shallow water: it is seldom too windy there, and an easy wade—no mooring fees.

Moor it there, while looking around Wolfeboro.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
CateP (06-07-2011)