Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
moultonman

Default Pine Cone Pub's Nasty Bartender

What is the deal with the bartender at the Pine Cone Pub? I am talking about the curly grey haired woman who looks like Marge Simpson.

Every time we have been there she has been nasty, miserable, and rude.

Is she trying to make the Pine Cone Pub the "Durgin Park of the Lakes Region"? Just to let you know Marge, those waitresses are acting, and clearly you are not.

Recently we stopped in for lunch on a Saturday. Upon entering the front door, Marge offered no hello or smile. Instead we were greeted with the statement "What can I do for you?".

After being seated, I asked about some different beers, and she responded by pointing to a shelf over the bar and walking away.

A few minutes later, while looking at the menu, the power went out. Marge marched over to our table, grabbed the menus out of our hands, and said "Guess you're out of luck".

Since the rest of the staff are so nice (we especially like Lynne), I cannot understand why the owners keep her on (unless she is an owner).

In either case, they will not see a penny of my hard earned money until Marge Simpson has left the building!

In this tough economy, when restaurants are competing for our patronage, business owners need to take notice of this type of bad behavior, and correct it; no excuses, no exceptions.

Smile Marge (if you're physically possible). It will be off season soon enough, and you won't have as many pesky customers bothering you, or tipping you, or paying your salary.

Maybe they're hiring at Durgin Park...
Old 09-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I am SURE that must be the same lady I don't like there. She has no tact, she met us at the door last summer after a strong wind storm and they had a tree down and didn't have any power. So she rudely told us they were closed. Another time on a Sunday morning we went for lunch at quarter of twelve and were told we had to wait while they finished breakfast. We asked how long and she said 15 minutes. We said we would wait, after a while we sat and then were told they were still serving breakfast and it would be 15 after 12 and we said that was ok, but they stayed there and one of us asked if they were telling us they wanted our table and they said yes. They told us their local breakfast crowd was (I forget the exact words but something like very important to them) and that was fine. Yet there was no line waiting for tables. It made us feel like what is wrong with US? We weren't slobs, we weren't druunk, we weren't belligerent. Anyway, we went to Bucky's and had a wonderful lunch. We have gone back a few times since but the feeling just isn't great after the rudeness. It is too bad because the food is very good there. Too bad the attitude isn't. I don't know the owner but know someone who does and am thinking maybe the attitude comes from the top.
Thank you moultonman for allowing me to vent. I have always wanted to vent about that and am glad someone feels the same way.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
hazelnut

Where is it?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
moultonman

Default Pine Cone Pub's Nasty Bartender

It's at the Pine View Lodge in Tuftonboro, just outside of Melvin Village.

It is a shame that she is so nasty, since the place is really charming and the food is pretty good.

I guess people tolerate her bad behavior and continue to eat and drink there because there are no other establishments nearby.

The attitude may very well come from the top, as 'Tis has mentioned in her response, since their website states:

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

Really friendly and inviting, isn't it?!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow The Owner Was Super Nice to Me!

Pine Cone Cafe

One of the owners at The Pine View Lodge, Sheila, was super nice when I stopped in to pick up their generous donation for ForumFest. The lady to which you refer, did greet me in an odd manner, but I figured I just arrived at a bad time.

I hear the food is quite good here.

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 09-30-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moultonman View Post
What is the deal with the bartender at the Pine Cone Pub? ...
OK, if it's who I think it is, here's the "deal": she's been undergoing treatment for cancer for quite some time now. I suspect she has to work even when she's feeling like sh*t, because the reality is that fewer and fewer employees receive any kind of health insurance benefit from their employer, and it gets harder every day for even the healthiest of non-smokers to afford individual premiums.

Under normal circumstances, this woman is the nicest person you could ever meet.

What's that old expression...something about not judging someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes??
Old 09-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Pineedles

Default Beaner

I see in an earlier post on another thread, you mentioned that she was awesome. Cancer has a way of dragging folks down. I don't fault the original posters for pointing out what could have been deteriment to the owners business. I think now we all understand what she's going through and perhaps offer some encouraging words to her the next time they dine there.

"Some folks may recognize Jeri, the bartender, as one of the co-owners of the old J&G's Restaurant on Union Street in Wolfeboro. She is awesome."
Old 09-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
moultonman

Default Your Defense is Commendable

Kudos to you for coming to her defense, but shame on you for playing the "cancer card". It is not your decision to use her illness to justify her behavior.

Incidentally, I have been a medical researcher for 20 years and currently conduct clinical trials for several cancer treatment agents.

I have had hundreds of cancer patients enrolled in my studies, so I have walked a mile, and with some patients a marathon, in her/their shoes.

Even my sickest patients are not as unpleasant as she is.

I pity her, and her situation, and I hope that she is getting proper care for her illness.

I have always greeted her with a smile and a hello, and have never had it returned.

Treat people with kindness, and you will get it in return.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
Grant

Never had any issues with anyone there. Everyone's been cordial & accommodating. Food rocks.

And, if the gal in question is indeed undergoing treatments, best wishes for a full recovery. Cancer sucks.

And -- while you have me thinking about Pine Cone -- while I am an ardent fan of their mushroom swiss burger, I've finally taken the plunge and sampled the pizza. People...it is good. And I say this as a card-carrying Philadelphia Pizza Snob. There ain't much they don't do really, really well at the Pine Cone!

Kudos to Sheila & family for making this a go-to dining spot and watering hole.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
hazmatmedic

Default Hi there moultonman

Way to post your first 3 comments as negative! Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
twoplustwo

Default it's the law

The attitude may very well come from the top, as 'Tis has mentioned in her response, since their website states:

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

Really friendly and inviting, isn't it?!

Similar signs are on walls on restaurants all over the state, because that's the state law. We (bartenders and servers, and yes, I am a bartender, but in Wolfeboro, so no, I'm not affiliated with The Pine Cone) have the right to refuse to serve anyone for any reason. The statement is there on websites and walls for the same reason the state has the law there - to protect us and set the tone for a refusal to tolerate drunks.

I've never met the bartender in question, but based on beaner's response I think she needs some understanding and encouragement. Knocking her physical appearance and renaming her isn't appropriate no matter the cause.

I have met the owners, I actually waited on them in Wolfeboro last week and they are terrific folks. Looking to them as a cause is off base, as they are delightful.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
And I say this as a card-carrying Philadelphia Pizza Snob.
I didn't know they made pizza in Philadelphia? So that's what that round red disk was that I saw at another table when I was having my delicious Philly Cheese Steak? Couldn't resist Grant.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
moultonman

Default Look Closer Hazmatmedic

There are a few compliments in my posts!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
twoplustwo

Default one more thing...

I have had hundreds of cancer patients enrolled in my studies, so I have walked a mile, and with some patients a marathon, in her/their shoes.

Until you're also undergoing chemo, radiation, and loss of body parts along with those patients, you haven't even tried their shoes on. Shame on who?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
moultonman

Default Shame on who?

I have taken care of patients in their sickest and most humbling moments.

Battling cancer is a shared fight, so yes I have walked a mile or more with each and every one of my patients. (my wording corrected)

I think that we are off track here however. I am not offering criticism of someone, or identifying them, on the basis of their illness, just on the basis of how they have treated me and others.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #16
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I didn't know they made pizza in Philadelphia? So that's what that round red disk was that I saw at another table when I was having my delicious Philly Cheese Steak? Couldn't resist Grant.
Don't get me started on cheesesteaks...or hoagies...

And, yes, I had scrapple with breakfast yesterday.

Straight out of Philadelphia Culinary Central Casting.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
moultonman

Default Hey Grant....

Geno's or Jim's?

The PC does it pretty well with the jalapeno peppers though.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #18
twoplustwo

Default Marge Simpson?

I think that we are off track here however. I am not offering criticism of someone, or identifying them, on the basis of their illness, just on the basis of how they have treated me and others.

And making fun of her looks fits in there where as far as customer service is concerned? Just trying to get back on track...
Old 09-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #19
moultonman

Default Well...

Maybe if she smiled once in a while....no one shows their best side when the have a scowl on their face.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #20
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post

Pine Cone Cafe

One of the owners at The Pine View Lodge, Sheila, was super nice when I stopped in to pick up their generous donation for ForumFest. The lady to which you refer, did greet me in an odd manner, but I figured I just arrived at a bad time.

I hear the food is quite good here.
RG. I was referring to the husband when I was told he was let's say different.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #21
rrr

Thumbs up

We were there for brunch again yesterday and, as usual, it was great. I'm disappointed that they won't be doing brunch after Columbus Day. Does anyone know if they'll be doing breakfast instead?

The service has always been great, and I haven't had a bad meal yet. I'm looking forward to trying their pizza - it looks so good, but I always get sidetracked by something else (tips, burgers, chicken parm sub, great fries...). Maybe I just need to get one to go.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #22
tis

A group of eight of us went there last week and we all had great meals. I have always had a good meal there, it is just that lady that Moultonman talked about who has no personality and she seems to have a large presence there. I guess you just have to overlook her.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #23
GTO

Default not just there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
A group of eight of us went there last week and we all had great meals. I have always had a good meal there, it is just that lady that Moultonman talked about who has no personality and she seems to have a large presence there. I guess you just have to overlook her.
I went to eat at T-ones on Saturday night around 6:00 and the 2 woman that "greeted" us at the door were so unpleasant. We said we called ahead and without even looking up with a smile or eye contact, handed us our buzzer and said we'll call you when there's a table. Because one person in our party recently had leg surgery and was on crutches, we requested a booth so she could put her leg up. Ten minutes later....we were led to our "table". Because we just wanted to eat, we didn't say anything about the booth request.. Within 5 minutes, three booths around us were empty so they couldn't use the we are too busy to accomadate your request. I watched throughout the night as these two woman sat people at there tables.....no smiles the whole time....not even a have a nice meal. Basically showed them their tables and left.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #24
Pineedles

Thumbs up

I think this thread is turning friendly again. Let's keep it up.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #25
Redsoxlover

Default Great pizza

We venture out to the Pine Cone several times a month and don't recall ever having met the bar tender you described. The wait staff has always been friendly and we leave happy even in the height of summer. Give it another try the food is always good and the pizza is our favorite in the Lakes region.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #26
Orion

Default Great place

The Pine Cone Cafe is probably the place we eat at most all summer long. That's because the food is always great and the service is always friendly (in our experience). Prices are good, too.

It's always a good idea to walk a mile in someone's shoes before you criticise them, because then you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (09-28-2009)
Old 09-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #27
john60ri

Default Hart's

I have no idea what's going on at the Pine Cone, but it reminds me of a visit to Hart's Turkey Farm in August '08. Our waitress was an older woman - very brusque and unfriendly. Her attitude sent the message: "This is an assembly line, folks. Let's keep it moving." Had no desire to go there, but my daughter loves the place.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #28
bumble71

Default lets get back to the original problem...

If this bartender does have cancer, than that is horrible. My dad had it and it's nothing to even have a discussion about. Going forward though, I believe that her attitude DOES come from the top. The food is good and Most of the staff is very friendly, but the feeling at the bar,(which should be one of relaxation and welcome) never is! Let me get this straight, I go there and give them MY $$, and feel as if I can't have a beer or two, without feeling as if I'm doing something wrong or about to?? If you want to run a restaurant and serve food ONLY, than do so.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:46 AM   #29
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts
Default Pine Cone

Dave and Sheila did a great job with that place. I eat there occasionally but I think have only sat at the bar a half dozen times. I never ran into the aforementioned bartender but it sounds like I would not enjoy it. Hopefully Dave and Shiela work this out- it certainly seems to be effecting their regulars as well.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:15 AM   #30
Peter

Default Great place!

We've always loved this place and have never had anything to complain about. It is great to have a restaurant hidden away on this side of the lake.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #31
rrr

It's too bad the some of you have had a problem with this bartender. I've sat at the bar several times, usually on a Saturday night. It's always been very comfortable. I took my mother there the evening of the Kentucky Derby. They put it on the big screen for us and we sat at the bar and had our dinner - everyone was chatting and we had a lot of fun. I think the bartender has always been Jeri (longer brown hair) when I've been there. She is very attentive and I've never felt rushed. During the winter it certainly has a 'townie' feel - but I like that.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #32
sa meredith

Default two cents

Never been to this place..but a quick observation, if I may.
While I am most certainly sensitive to the plight of a cancer patient (dad has done battle with this enemy on two occasions) I would ask this.
Aren't some of the most basic, essential qualifications of a potential bar tender things like a very pleasant demeanor, a welcoming smile, and a friendly disposition? You sorta need those things if you are going to be the "point man" in a retail business...I would think.
People going there (especially first timers) certainly have a right to expect to be treated properly, and feel as though their business is appreciated.
As an aside...if this person does have cancer, I wish her and her family the best as she fights thru it. God bless.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #33
angela4design

Default It PAYS...

SA, I agree! It's part of the job to be friendly and personable, and the reason is TIPS! Especially is someone is struggling with health or financial issues, it literally PAYS to put on a happy face and serve the patrons as best you can.

I don't know that the "Marge' comment was warranted, but there's nothing like joining the forum with a bang! "Pull the pin and throw it in"!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #34
gravy boat

Default Say what you will....

....but these forums make it difficult to resist trying these places! And now this one's a must -- my curiosity is peaked!

As a cancer survivor (10 years and counting) I can understand the good and bad days. And if you already live paycheck to paycheck, perhaps missing a day or two of work on a bad day can be the difference between living in a warm place and on the street. Some of us on this forum -- most of us, I dare say -- are fortunate enough to not be concerned with such issues. I know I count MY blessings.

The responses on this forum indicate that her behavior may be more the exception than the norm. But then again it could depend on the level of service and style one is accustomed to when dining out. One person can find a waiter/waitress offfesive while another finds him/her delightful.

Either way, we'll head over and give it a shot.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #35
DEJ

Default Menu

Went to their web site and did not see a menu link, can anyone provide one? Might be helpful to those of us who have to travel from the other side of the lake. Thank you.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #36
Argie's Wife

Default "What's The Frequency Kenneth?"

Quote:
What is the deal with the bartender at the Pine Cone Pub? I am talking about the curly grey haired woman who looks like Marge Simpson.

Every time we have been there she has been nasty, miserable, and rude.

And... may I ask... how often do you frequent this place? You give the account of one negative encounter but start your post with "Every time we have been there...."

So which is it?

Once? Twice? More?? Enquiring minds...
Old 09-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #37
looniac

Default Pine Cone

Since my Summer house is right up the block, I know the Pine Cone very well. Both Sheila and Jeri are fabulous people. The negative comments are completely off base. I'll be up over Columbus Day weekend and look forward to seeing them.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #38
SumoDog

Default Pine Cone

Agree with most posters - we have always enjoyed Pine Cone and the service/people who deliver it - I guess we have been lucky - never seen a Marge Simpson look a like there - however, my wife tells me my stomach is starting to look like Homer's - and the police force may rival Springfield's -

Last edited by SumoDog; 09-29-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #39
tis

Oh, the place is definitely worth going to. It is just the attitude. I have been there maybe 12 times and only saw the attitude two times. But each time it has been this person. I don't know her, but some friends of ours do. It is probably just her way, but it doesn't help. And I really don't care to be asked to leave because the table was for the "locals" who have breakfast there when there were no locals in line. She had no idea if we were locals or not, but I think they have a big Melvin Village crowd, which they cater to. It is fun to go there because we ALWAYS see people we know and as I said before the food has always been great. So don't pick on Moultonman because he is telling the truth. If you haven't crossed her path, you are lucky. Maybe they will learn something from this thread if they read it.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #40
Heaven

I didn't read through to the end of the thread, but I did know Jerri (sp?) quite well back in the J&G days and before, and she was always a consummate professional restaurant service person of the best variety.

Sorry to hear she may be ill --
Old 09-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #41
moultonman

Default Kenneth Says...

In response to Argie's wife-

I have been there several times (enough to know that Jeri is from Michigan), and if you read my post (it starts out "Recently....") then you would understand that there is no question of "which is it". That most recent visit is the one I am describing.

But there have been others. I gather from your loyal post that you do not care to hear about them. And frankly, I don't think she deserves the attention. She has been consistently rude to me and other customers, as reflected in this thread.

And since you frequent the PC, you would know that you do not encounter the same wait staff every time. That said, I have never had a positive exchange with her, but have with the other people who work there, as stated in my first post. Those people were the reason I chose to return. Unfortunately, they will no longer benefit from my patronage. My choice, and some of you may think, my loss. But there are certainly enough other places to eat around the lake where the staff are courteous and friendly.

I am getting the picture, though, by reading all of the responses. Jeri is nice to her friends (i.e looniac) and favorite regulars, and that is fine. But at least be polite to every other customer too.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #42
Yosemite Sam

moultonman,

You said in you first post: “Every time we have been there she has been nasty, miserable, and rude.”
That to me means that each time you went there, she gave you a hard time.

Questions:
1. How many times have you been there?
2. What did she do each time that was so "nasty, miserable, and rude"?
3. Why didn't you complain the first time she gave you a hard time (or maybe not go back several more times for more of the same)?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #43
Argie's Wife

Quote:
In response to Argie's wife-

I have been there several times (enough to know that Jeri is from Michigan), and if you read my post (it starts out "Recently....") then you would understand that there is no question of "which is it". That most recent visit is the one I am describing.

But there have been others. I gather from your loyal post that you do not care to hear about them. And frankly, I don't think she deserves the attention. She has been consistently rude to me and other customers, as reflected in this thread.

And since you frequent the PC, you would know that you do not encounter the same wait staff every time. That said, I have never had a positive exchange with her, but have with the other people who work there, as stated in my first post. Those people were the reason I chose to return. Unfortunately, they will no longer benefit from my patronage. My choice, and some of you may think, my loss. But there are certainly enough other places to eat around the lake where the staff are courteous and friendly.

I am getting the picture, though, by reading all of the responses. Jeri is nice to her friends (i.e looniac) and favorite regulars, and that is fine. But at least be polite to every other customer too.
I didn't ask which visit it was - I asked if it was once or twice or more that you've been there - not if it was the first, second, or more time that you'd been there. I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but I know what "recent" means. I get it that you're p.o.'d about your encounter. My question was more or less wondering if you just had a bad first or even second impression.

Chill. Life is short, man.

And when you say, "And since you frequent the PC, you would know that you do not encounter the same wait staff every time," you're not addressing me with that statement, are you? I've never darkened their door...

...I don't know if you mean to or not, but you come across as really testy in your responses. People at this forum will ask questions, make comments, etc., but I haven't yet seen anyone argue with YOU about YOUR experience. I believe you and what you're saying - but humor us when we ask questions or share our various experiences here... no blood, no foul, right?

Peace.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #44
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

Chill. Life is short, man.
Be careful AW. That is a shortened version of what I asked (meant nicely and concerned about her), of another poster at another time that erupted into a closed thread. I know your message is meant to be friendly too.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #45
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Maybe they will learn something from this thread if they read it.
We'll see; I e-mailed them a link to this thread earlier.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #46
Lakepilot

I've learned one thing about this web site. You don't want to post anything at all negative about a restaurant. It took me a little while, but I did learn. I now only post good things. It's really too bad that we can't all benefit from the good and bad in the area.

I've had some great experiences eating out around the lake and some not so good experiences. But you'll only hear about the good things. I know the restaurants I want to continue to patronize and the ones I don't. But I won't share those negative thoughts.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #47
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Be careful AW. That is a shortened version of what I asked (meant nicely and concerned about her), of another poster at another time that erupted into a closed thread. I know your message is meant to be friendly too.
It is meant to be friendly - honest. I enjoy a good dialog about something - even if it's a bad experience at a restaurant. Gimme details - whether good or bad.

Not to derail this but I learned today that my 39 year old cousin in MA drowned last night. He's just a few months older than me. I am closer to his mom than I was to him - by any stretch - I truly mean it when I say "life is short"... stuff like that puts it into a scary perspective, you know.

I agree that MM should have received better treatment - too bad it's come to this, really. Like I said, I'll never argue with anyone about their experience or perception.

"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still..."

I just try to make sure I've got the facts m'am.

For the record: I take no issue with negative posts about a place but take the good and the bad together to form an opinion of whether I'd try that place or not. I use this forum as a reference for friends coming to visit the area when they ask, "What do you recommend?" as we don't get out that often. I still don't see where anyone has said to MM - "Hey dude, you're WRONG," but I think people have chimed in on their experience. Nothing bad, really.

Peace.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (09-29-2009), Pineedles (09-30-2009)
Old 09-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #48
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I think people lose sight of exactly why you go out to eat and how you should be treated at an establishment that you are paying your hard earned money for.
Here someone places a complaint about a poorly demeanored bartender, not knowing about her illness. however exactly why should he care? Seriously. It isn't his problem that she is sick. It isn't his problem if she does or does not have health insurance. He is out to eat and have a good time while spending his money. He expects to have a good service. But it is actually his right to do so. She took away that right, by not treating him with courteousness. I don't care who has what, and I don't care at what establishment I eat at. If someone walked up to me and grabbed my menus, and said "Guess your out of luck" I'd rant to the world not to ever go there as well. Example, I eat at the Village Kitchen. Should I now ask the server or the cook if they have cancer first, so I know if they are in a pissy mood or not? No they are ALWAYS polite there. It is why I eat there up to three times a week. Prime Rib night, always. Brunch on Sunday. Always. I'm with the thread starter on this one. Yeah sorry she is ill and I hope she does well with treatment if this is the case. But she should never bring her problems to work. Bad for her and bad for business. If the place were to fall down and close because of her, how would that help her income. Both my parents died of cancer. Mother Pancreatic, Father Liver/colon cancer. So don't get me wrong. It is a nasty illness for everyone involved, but both of my parents maintained their dignity when dealing with life and other people. If I ever get sick like that, I can only hope that I can use them as my example. So say what you will, the Pine Cone should address this issue if they know about it. It is their responsibility to their paying customers.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (09-30-2009), Janet (09-30-2009), Nadia (09-30-2009), Newbiesaukee (09-30-2009), Redwing (09-29-2009), riverat (09-30-2009), Shreddy (10-03-2009), VitaBene (09-29-2009)
Old 09-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #49
GTO

Default agree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I think people lose sight of exactly why you go out to eat and how you should be treated at an establishment that you are paying your hard earned money for.
Here someone places a complaint about a poorly demeanored bartender, not knowing about her illness. however exactly why should he care? Seriously. It isn't his problem that she is sick. It isn't his problem if she does or does not have health insurance. He is out to eat and have a good time while spending his money. He expects to have a good service. But it is actually his right to do so. She took away that right, by not treating him with courteousness. I don't care who has what, and I don't care at what establishment I eat at. If someone walked up to me and grabbed my menus, and said "Guess your out of luck" I'd rant to the world not to ever go there as well. Example, I eat at the Village Kitchen. Should I now ask the server or the cook if they have cancer first, so I know if they are in a pissy mood or not? No they are ALWAYS polite there. It is why I eat there up to three times a week. Prime Rib night, always. Brunch on Sunday. Always. I'm with the thread starter on this one. Yeah sorry she is ill and I hope she does well with treatment if this is the case. But she should never bring her problems to work. Bad for her and bad for business. If the place were to fall down and close because of her, how would that help her income. Both my parents died of cancer. Mother Pancreatic, Father Liver/colon cancer. So don't get me wrong. It is a nasty illness for everyone involved, but both of my parents maintained their dignity when dealing with life and other people. If I ever get sick like that, I can only hope that I can use them as my example. So say what you will, the Pine Cone should address this issue if they know about it. It is their responsibility to their paying customers.
Your right. Nobody should bring their woes to work, no matter what...especially in that type of position where your dealing with daily customers. I also know plenty of people that have had cancer and just recently had someone close to me die of this dreaded disease. But she never let anyone know how painful it was or wanted people to feel bad for her.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #50
eillac@dow

Default Hey wait a minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
I've learned one thing about this web site. You don't want to post anything at all negative about a restaurant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argies Wife
It is meant to be friendly - honest. I enjoy a good dialog about something - even if it's a bad experience at a restaurant. Gimme details - whether good or bad
First of all...don't know how to quote more than one person!

Lakepilot...I do not agree with you. I think all can take the good with the bad. But sometimes when the "bad" is put out .....it can be way over done.

I do not consider myself a frequent poster on this forum, but do alot of reading. I do appreciate the infomation that is shared. I have found many times that people come out "slamming" a business (and MoultonMan...I am not directly referring to you, so please do not take it that way). I think people's opinions should be shared but when someone is unhappy, the anger in them is expressed very emotionally through their words...and sometimes it can be overdone and unfortunately, it can cause damage to their business.

MoultonMan, if your experiences have been that bad...speak with the owners or just write them off. I have never been there, but other family members have been and really like it. I personally do not blame you, if I had the experiences you had, I would say "No way I am going back".

If the women referred to as Marge (and I cannot blame Moulton for given a name...as we all know when we have been upet...we say names...probably worse) if she is sick, then take a minute and pray for her good health!

Like Argies Wife said... Peace

Last edited by eillac@dow; 09-29-2009 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Clearly, I don't even know how to do one quote!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #51
rrr

Default to clarify

first - I don't believe that Jeri is the person being discussed as being ill.

second - I, for one, posted my opinions not to discredit MM but to point out that the food is really good and the bartender/waitress with the 'attitude' is apparently not always there. My visits have almost all been on Saturday nights or Sunday mornings and I have never run into her. Maybe if I had, I would feel differently.

third - I do want to hear the good and the bad. What you may think is a problem, may not be for me. On the other hand something you may like, I may not. For example, there is a very nice restaurant in Boston that I went to once for a family celebration. It is open with high ceilings and as a result very loud. My memory of that night is that it was very difficult to have a conversation - and I have never been back. It is a very popular place so obviously not everyone shares my opinion.

And finally, I would like to offer my condolences to both AW and GTO on their recent losses.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #52
moultonman

Default No offense taken AW....

Just clarifying my posts and position, as these things get draw-out, it is easy to be misunderstood.

I have stated my gripes, with some compliments inserted.

I have chosen to write this place off. My time out is for relaxing and enjoying, not tolerating rude behavior.

As I have previously noted, I returned despite having had bad experiences because the other folks at the PC were very nice. My last visit changed that.

I respect everyone's opinions on this issue, and really, the purpose of this forum is to initiate a discussion. Hopefully it develops into something constructive, especially for the owners of this establishment who's success or failure affects the livelyhood of many individuals.

I thank those of you who were able to appreciate my position, and also those who challenged it.

My first post started with the question "What's the deal with..." and I think my question has been answered. Unless you are a friend or favorite regular patron, you cannot predict how you will be treated by the person who is the topic of this thread.

So the decision to patronize the Pine Cone Pub is up to you.

1.) Go there knowing that you will be treated kindly based on who you are, or who you know.

2.) Go there knowing to avoid or tolerate someone who may not treat you kindly.

3.) Or as I have chosen, don't go there at all, knowing that you may encounter someone who has historically treated you poorly.

I guess my other option would be to go there on her day off!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #53
Yosemite Sam

Default Marge Simpson

Does she actually look like Marge Simpson?
I've been there many times and never saw anyone that looked like that!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #54
moultonman

Default Since you asked...

Thanks Yosemite for supplying a picture, it helps to illustrate my point.

It is less about physical attributes, and all about the disapproving expression and attitude that is Marge Simpson...minus the blue hair of course!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:56 AM   #55
Pontoon Goon

Default geez

I never really noticed but Marge looks kinda angry AND Hot !!!
Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #56
Yosemite Sam

Default Marge at Pine Cone Cafe

moultonman,
Don't go there today, Marge is greeting people and she doesn't look to happy!!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Yosemite Sam For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (09-30-2009), GTO (09-30-2009), hazelnut (09-30-2009), hazmatmedic (10-01-2009), Irish mist (09-30-2009), mcdude (09-30-2009), moultonman (09-30-2009), Pineedles (09-30-2009), Rattlesnake Guy (10-02-2009), Redsoxlover (09-30-2009), SteveA (09-30-2009)
Old 09-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #57
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Just to lighten it up...

A mother and daughter walk into a bar...

Mom says.. "Did you see that dirty look the bartender gave me? "
The daughter says... "She didn't give you a dirty look... you had it when you walked in"

Disclamier... Not a comment on anyone's post, just maybe a better way to look at what sometimes seems like a slight from someone else.

I find a friendly smile and warm handshake prevents close to 100% of these type problems.
Pineedles (10-01-2009), Pontoon Goon (10-01-2009)
Old 10-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #58
tis

That is true Steve and I do usually smile and am nice. But in this case, I don't think it helps.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #59
chowda

I can overlook a moderately, bad attitude as long as the food is great and the service is timely. I don't necessarily feel like becoming best buddies with whomever is mixing my drink. I just hope they mix it well. That being said, the only complaint I have with this establishment is they made me the blandest Bloody Mary I have ever been served. I'm not talking about the alcohol portion. It tasted like nothing but plain tomato juice with a bit of horseradish in it. The olive was the tastiest part of the whole drink. That one negative factor aside, the food is great and priced reasonably. The service was prompt and courteous. The brunch is always terrific. I have yet to see anyone with a giant, blue beehive. We'll be back for that alone!

Tis- I'm not sure I understood your initial grievance. Your group was sitting at a table waiting for lunch service and you were then asked to get up because another party wanted your table for breakfast that was supposed to be over? That would classify as well above previously mentioned "moderately, bad attitude".
Old 10-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #60
jmen24

Bring in some Mentos, they always seem to resolve a potential conflict.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #61
luvmypups

she's waited on myself and my family before, not the friendliest, most personable woman but I just think her tip will reflect that
Old 10-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #62
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowda View Post
I can overlook a moderately, bad attitude as long as the food is great and the service is timely. I don't necessarily feel like becoming best buddies with whomever is mixing my drink. I just hope they mix it well. That being said, the only complaint I have with this establishment is they made me the blandest Bloody Mary I have ever been served. I'm not talking about the alcohol portion. It tasted like nothing but plain tomato juice with a bit of horseradish in it. The olive was the tastiest part of the whole drink. That one negative factor aside, the food is great and priced reasonably. The service was prompt and courteous. The brunch is always terrific. I have yet to see anyone with a giant, blue beehive. We'll be back for that alone!

Tis- I'm not sure I understood your initial grievance. Your group was sitting at a table waiting for lunch service and you were then asked to get up because another party wanted your table for breakfast that was supposed to be over? That would classify as well above previously mentioned "moderately, bad attitude".
We arrived a bit early about 15 of 12. and were told they didn't know when they could serve us as their local breakfast crowd was very important to them and they would keep serving breakfast. (I suppose if we wanted breakfast we could have eaten.) So we asked if we could wait and they said yes. We had waited about a half an hour between waiting and sitting before she came over to the table and told us. The funny thing was, there was noone in sight waiting for the table. It was all very strange. And it's not like we looked or acted offensively! And yes, I felt it was much, much more than a moderately bad attitude!!!! However, I don't remember it being the waitress who is the one who is being discussed here. (She was the one with the attitude the other time I mentioned though.)

I didn't go back for a long time, however, I finally did. The food is very good as I said, and haven't had a bad meal there ever. Sometimes you just have to get over these things. Just ignore those who choose to not be nice. It takes all kinds to make a world. But I know a lot of people who wouldn't ever go back under those circumstances.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #63
moultonman

Default Hey Chowda, maybe on Halloween...

Interestingly there has been no response from the Pine Cone establishment regarding this thread or the attention it has received.

In any event, it would certainly be appropriate, and quite funny, if the offending bartender were to wear a big blue wig on Halloween, when tradtionally, all of the servers at the Pine Cone work in costume.

So belly up to the bar on the 31st Chowda, but remember...

Halloween is the time for trick-or-treat, so sip your drink with caution!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #64
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Interestingly there has been no response from the Pine Cone establishment regarding this thread or the attention it has received.

In any event, it would certainly be appropriate, and quite funny, if the offending bartender were to wear a big blue wig on Halloween, when tradtionally, all of the servers at the Pine Cone work in costume.

So belly up to the bar on the 31st Chowda, but remember...

Halloween is the time for trick-or-treat, so sip your drink with caution!

LOL.....You have been a good sport about this whole thing which makes me think that maybe there is a "Marge Simpson" wantabe working there.

I'll keep my eyes open for Marge the next time I go there.

Keep smiling!!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #65
jr616

Talking kILLEM WITH kINDNESS

I have always found that being OVERLY nice to people, even the ones in a foul mood, will eventually crack them!

I always start with a big SMILE - if they do not say "Good Morning, How r u?" I do. With whatever they return I make the conversation engage (whether they like it or not) - asking if they ARE really "fine" or if something else could brighten their day - like a big tip! I say things like "Thank you SO much I really appreciate it" when they bring my food etc...

Killem with Kindness - Trust me they'll crack!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #66
Pineedles

It's really nice to see so many Forum members with a positive attitude about dealing with adversity, but I think so many, many times have said they have tried this to no avail.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #67
Coolbreeze

Here is an idea, if you don't like the service, go somewhere else. It will reduce the time I have to wait for a table.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #68
bumble71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
Here is an idea, if you don't like the service, go somewhere else. It will reduce the time I have to wait for a table.
sounds like you don't carry many expectations when giving someone your money huh COOLBREEZE?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:43 AM   #69
moultonman

Default Glad to step aside for you Coolbreeze....

As I have stated, I will not return to the Pine Cone.

I will happily yield my place in line to you.

And you won't have to wait as long to be abused.

Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #70
secondcurve

Moultonman:

How about one more trip and this time you get a picture of Marge?

Quote:
As I have stated, I will not return to the Pine Cone.

I will happily yield my place in line to you.

And you won't have to wait as long to be abused.

Enjoy!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #71
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr616 View Post
I have always found that being OVERLY nice to people, even the ones in a foul mood, will eventually crack them!

I always start with a big SMILE - if they do not say "Good Morning, How r u?" I do. With whatever they return I make the conversation engage (whether they like it or not) - asking if they ARE really "fine" or if something else could brighten their day - like a big tip! I say things like "Thank you SO much I really appreciate it" when they bring my food etc...

Killem with Kindness - Trust me they'll crack!
I hear what your saying but when I'm out spending my money I'm not about to try chearing people up. I'm not looking for my butt to be kissed by any means but if your in the service industry of any kind you should act reasonable towards people or get layed off.
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
moultonman (10-06-2009)
Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #72
moultonman

Default See YosemiteSam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Moultonman:

How about one more trip and this time you get a picture of Marge?

YosemiteSam has posted one already, just Look Up!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #73
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I hear what your saying but when I'm out spending my money I'm not about to try chearing people up. I'm not looking for my butt to be kissed by any means but if your in the service industry of any kind you should act reasonable towards people or get layed off.
I remember being at an event where past director of White Mountain Attractions Dick Hamilton spoke a few words. Of those in the tourism and hospitality business, he said "We're in the smiles business. Your customer doesn't smile, you don't get paid."

So, in a sense, I'm sympathetic to the OP.

However, there's a gal at a restaurant we frequent who has a perpetual look on her face like she's crunching an aspirin with her teeth - and has a personality to match. She's grumpy to the point of entertaining! If we went there and she was cheery, it would be like they left the tomatoe off from my burger

Heck, Cliff Claven kept going back to Cheers - in spite of, or perhaps because of his constant berating by Rhea Pearlman's character!
Jonas Pilot (10-06-2009)
Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 AM   #74
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordCentury View Post
I remember being at an event where past director of White Mountain Attractions Dick Hamilton spoke a few words. Of those in the tourism and hospitality business, he said "We're in the smiles business. Your customer doesn't smile, you don't get paid."

So, in a sense, I'm sympathetic to the OP.

However, there's a gal at a restaurant we frequent who has a perpetual look on her face like she's crunching an aspirin with her teeth - and has a personality to match. She's grumpy to the point of entertaining! If we went there and she was cheery, it would be like they left the tomatoe off from my burger

Heck, Cliff Claven kept going back to Cheers - in spite of, or perhaps because of his constant berating by Rhea Pearlman's character!
I went there today for lunch and a women named Gerry waited on on. She was waiting on the bar and all the tables. She is tall with gray hair and lives in Tuftonboro. She was pleasant enough ,although she forgot to ask us how our meals were. I really don't hold that against her as she was quite busy. The food as usual was very good. I don't think she is the women everyone is talking about , although she could look as if she was crunching an aspirin. She is certainly not cheery cheery, but she was fine. Nothing to complain about!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #75
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts
Default Right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
It is not a tough job when you get right down to it (don't get me wrong, you work hard in the restaurant/bar business). Take care of your customers, get the orders right and go home at the end of your shift with little or no residual work or job related worries.

I frequent the bar at Buckeys- They see me pulling in and as I walk in my cocktail of choice is already waiting on the bar for me. The bartenders are nice and efficient- that is all anyone is asking for. Going out for drinks or a meal should be a pleasant experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
robmac (10-07-2009)
Old 10-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #76
Sunrise Point

Ok...Gotta try them, where is Buckey's?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #77
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Buckey's Restaurant and Tavern

Buckey's Restaurant and Tavern
240 Governor Wentworth Highway - Route 109 S
Moultonborough, NH
Old 10-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #78
jack1706

Default ??????????????

Well. we just got home from the pinecone, as we call it.
We sat at the bar , had a few brews, pizza, etc. and great conversation with the bartender named "Jeri". everthing was good and enjoyed having her wait on us.
I had to come home and read back to the beginning of the thread ( again ) to see if this was the same person I had been reading about all month !!!
What the heck ??????????

Previously we had only had breakfasts there & no drinks, etc. , but, we went in sat there, were welcomed & many smiles & everyone there was talking to her & to us & I just can't imagine this is the same person talked so badly about.
I came there with a smile on my face... so did she & everyone I saw... soooo, I don't get it !!!
I can only think someone else came in with that frown & attitude !!!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #79
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1706 View Post
We sat at the bar , had a few brews, pizza, etc. and great conversation with the bartender named "Jeri". everthing was good and enjoyed having her wait on us.

Well, I guess what they say is true, then. Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder!
Old 10-10-2009, 05:53 AM   #80
jack1706

Default Lol

I'll drink to that !!!! Cheers !!

(p.s.) she does resemble Marge.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #81
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default Would I Kid You????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoon Goon View Post
I never really noticed but Marge looks kinda angry AND Hot !!!
Pontoon Goon: In that case you'll be interested to hear that Marge will be appearing on the cover of Playboy next month! Seriously! I heard it on the radio yesterday!

see.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8300463.stm
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
moultonman (10-13-2009), secondcurve (10-13-2009)
Closed Thread