Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
KonaChick

Default Bad Experience The Bob House Restaurant/Moultonborough

I've tried to post this several times but have ended up erasing it for fear it would sound made up or exaggerated. Well, here goes! We dined tonight at The Bob House on Rt. 25 in Moultonborough with 5 adult and 5 children. The adults were at one table and the children at another. Halfway through our meals the owner (shorter blonde woman) comes up to the children's table and starts yelling at them. Before I had a chance to find out what was wrong she walks away. A few seconds later she comes back yelling again and takes the pepper shaker and proceeds to open up the bottle and pour it all over my daughter's food that she was still eating. I was shocked and approached her. She's yelling something about the kid's that I can't make out. I ask her to calm down so I can find out what happened. She screams that my daugher poured some sugar into the pepper shaker. I asked my daughter if this was true and she starts to cry. I assume she's guilty and tell her that's unacceptable. The whole time this lunatic owner is still rambling on, sometimes yelling, other times in my face in a low threating voice telling me how my children could have cost her her business. I tell her again to calm down so we can talk about it. (I'm thinking at this point what can my daughter do for restituion). She's totally unapproachable and not interested in anything I have to say. She then goes on to yell at the kid's that they did something to the ketchup jar as well. I look at the table and ask her where is the ketchup jar (there was NONE on the table) and she says one of the kids must have taken it. We pay the bill and leave. I talk to my daughter on the way home about what she did and that it was wrong . I also tell her that the adult's reaction was just as wrong. I can't seem to get this woman out of my mind and her insane reaction and yelling and screaming in the middle of her own restaurant!! At one point even the manager came over to tell her to leave the table and stop. I decide to call when we get home to speak to the manager. I tell him my daugher was clearly in the wrong, I apologize but also that I can't believe an adult would act the way the way the owner did. He says what do you want me to do about it and I tell him the least he can do is comp my daughter's meal that had a jar of pepper thrown all over it. He says he will talk to the owner and that he will call me back. A few minutes later SHE calls back and guess what?!?! She's STILL yelling and screaming about how my daugher could have cost her her whole business. Once again I tell her to please calm down , that my daugher was in the wrong but that her business is not in jeapordy at all. She's telling me never to set foot into he restaurant again and I reply of course I won't. Honestly I'm just venting about this woman's unprofessional behavior and wanted everyone to know how bad she acted. There's no way this is an isolated incident. That woman didn't get up this morning and decide to be out of control, it's something she does on a regular basis. It's second nature to her. I have filed a complaint with the BBB. My father (who was at the restaurant) wants me to file a complaint with the Moultonborough PD (for pouring the pepper over the food). Needless to say she's not comping me anything and I hung up on her after about a minute of trying to get a word in edgewise. Ugggg!!! What a rotten way to end a wonderful vacation up at our lake house with my family. Please note my daughter WAS in the wrong, totally. She's been given an apporpriate consequence and will hopefull learn a lesson from this. Wouldn't it have been much better if this woman had come over to the parent's table and report what she saw?? How much more of a lesson would it be to my daugher to have this business owner tell her what the consequences are of doing something like that, perhaps even had her fill up a few pepper shakers!! Instead my daughter saw a raging lunatic throw a whole bottle of opened pepper at her. OK rant over. Thanks as always for letting me vent!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
Mr. V

I see no problem here.

Your daughter stepped way over the line.

You're lucky the owner didn't pour salt in your daughter's hair.

So the owner started yelling; big deal!

This world has gotten too politically correct, too enabling, too non-consequential.

Nothing like a bit of cause and effect.

Bet your kid won't do that again.

You're daughter is the one who should apologize.

By the way, how was the food?

I'll have to check this place out.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:04 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default You're kidding, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I see no problem here.

Your daughter stepped way over the line.

You're lucky the owner didn't pour salt in your daughter's hair.

So the owner started yelling; big deal!

This world has gotten too politically correct, too enabling, too non-consequential.

Nothing like a bit of cause and effect.

Bet your kid won't do that again.

You're daughter is the one who should apologize.

By the way, how was the food?

I'll have to check this place out.

That was meant to be tongue in cheek? Pour something in her hair? KC said her daughter was wrong several times, punished her in some way and tried to do the right thing.

In this case it sounds as if the Owner lost her cool and professionalism. She is starting off in a tough business in a tougher economy and I'm sure there is pressure and strain aplenty for her. The pepper trick has been going on since restaurants were invented. It is likely some of the reason that many places have moved to the mini grinders.

I have not tried the Bob House, but likely will at some point- it just may not be as soon. Cause and effect, Mr V.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
Rose

Sounds like the woman needs a heavy dose of Prozac. If I were in her situation, I would have asked the parents to split up so that there were adults at both tables so that the children could be supervised more closely.

KC, I think your reaction was completely appropriate. You acknowledged that your child had misbehaved and were willing to try to make it a "teachable moment" (why do I think this is going to be a phrase I grow to despise) for her, and all the other children at the table. Many parents would have been yelling right back that their children can do no wrong. I commend you for not being one of those parents.

I agree with Mr. V when he says people have become too politically correct and enabling. However, there are correct ways to handle situations, and this was not one of them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rose For This Useful Post:
BeaverIslandGuy (08-01-2009), hazelnut (07-30-2009), Resident 2B (08-01-2009), twoplustwo (07-30-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
KonaChick

I never take anything Mr. V posts seriously as he's usually just posting to get a rise out of people. Rose, you can bet your sweet pepper shaker my daughter won't be sitting at the kid's table in a restaurant ANYTIME in the near future!!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
angela4design

Default Losing her business??

Why is the owner so concerned about losing her business? Is she afraid of food allergies? I don't understand that.

And, I'm curious how old the child is, six or sixteen? It would make a difference in my perception. Was it a malicious prank, or a bad idea? Either way, it's not right, but I could understand an owner being more angry if it's kids that should 'know better'.

I'm a believer that adults should handle things as well, adults. And, I can respect that KonaChick tried to adress things without the owner escalating this situation in front of the children! That would have ticked me off, too.

Were they amenable to kids otherwise? I mean, some establishments don't offer a kids menu, kids' chairs, etc, sending a clear message of 'not welcome'. This story doesn't sound like an establishment accustomed to kids, who will after all, be kids, for better or worse.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
hazmatmedic

Default Parents

I was a kid once and I did the same thing. I just never got caught.

Thats why kids should be left at home and babies never taken on airplanes!

The Following User Says Thank You to hazmatmedic For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (07-30-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
KonaChick

My daughter is definetely old enough to know better but the fact she started crying when the owner yelled at her and poured out the bottle of pepper on her food shows you she's far from being an adult. Malicious? No...Stupid...YES!! This restaurant is not fine dining like the Coe House. The menu is varied with anything from burgers and club sandwiches to fish and chicken entrees. The clientele when we were there last night was older couples, younger couples and several families with toddlers. The toddlers were in those wooden high chairs provided by (I assume) the restaurant so I can only be lead to believe they are prepared for and welcome parties with young children. I do not recall if they had a children's menu or not. I want to say the food was OK, not the best but certainly not the worst we've had in lakes region restaurants. Our server was wonderful and very attentive. This was a young woman who had enough class to tell my father that reguardless of what transpired she hoped we would come back, a class act.
The Following User Says Thank You to KonaChick For This Useful Post:
angela4design (07-30-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick View Post
I never take anything Mr. V posts seriously as he's usually just posting to get a rise out of people.
I agree. He's another example of how not to handle situations.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose For This Useful Post:
Irish mist (07-30-2009), Jonas Pilot (07-30-2009), Resident 2B (08-01-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
Newbiesaukee

I tend to be of the mind-set that when it involves someone's children and restaurants, the MANAGEMENT is always right. BUT, although I do not know Kona Chick, her postings are always reasonable and well thought out and I do see why she hesitated to post. The behavior of the manager was truly bizarre and the response of KC was totally appropriate and I have no doubt that KC's version is the reality. If the owner is truly worried about losing her business, she should look in the mirror. Although I was not planning on visiting the Bob House (there are enough OK restaurants around), this has sealed the deal.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
ITD

Konachick, nobody and I mean nobody (except me or my wife) gets to scream at my kids like that, I don't care what my kid may have done, screaming, threatening and physical intimidation just will not happen and will bring an equal response to the aggressor, with me between the aggressor and my kid.

.....I will not be going to that restaurant based on your story. I can just imagine what else goes on in that place.

The proper way to handle this would have been for her to ask who was in charge of your daughter ( you in this case) and speak, or yell at you, then allow you to handle it.

What the owner did was way out of line.....

Kona, I've seen many posts from you and you seem to have your act together. I think your opportunity to handle this properly was lost when you let this person berate your daughter, you should have stopped her in her tracks, even if it escalated the situation it would have diverted the brunt of the attack from your daughter.

What I would do is explain to your daughter that this person should have never yelled at her like that and she does not have to accept that behavior from strangers. And if it ever happens again, you will protect her. Then if something like that happens again, political correctness be damned, defend your daughter. You can deal with your daughter's transgression later.

BTW, did your daughter actually admit to this misdeed? I'm wondering if she is covering for someone else.

Last edited by ITD; 07-30-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Toned it down a little.........
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
BeaverIslandGuy (08-01-2009), gormck (07-30-2009), Irrigation Guy (07-31-2009), Resident 2B (08-01-2009), SteveA (07-30-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #12
Jmo77011

Default wow...

Wow...that is completely inappropriate behavior on the owner's part! However, as someone who has worked in the restaurant buisness for a long time and the parent of two children, I have to question the decision to have a "kids table". It's always nice to have grown-up time, but not if you can't keep an eye on the kids and their behavior. Still, the owner's behavior was over the top, and I applaud Kona for keeping her cool.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
twoplustwo

Default huh

And here I'd only heard the rumor that the husband was a bit difficult. They must be a match made in heaven.

Ditto ITD. If either of my kids needs a good hollerin', it comes from me or my husband, not from some wackjob at a restaurant. There is no excuse for that lack of professionalism. There's one place we will not be trying.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
DC Pointer

I agree with everything the poster says except for the part about asking for a comped meal. I think that may have exacerbated the situation to no resolution. Of course the whole situation is ridiculous and hindsight is 20/20. Just my two cents..
Old 07-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
SIKSUKR

Default Somethings wrong here

First, I've known the owner since she we were both kids. She has never shown any of this behavior at all. To the contrary, quite the opposite. I will be contacting her to get the other side of the story.

Ok, just got off the phone with the owner in question. This indeed was the owner and like other threads that have had posts about disgruntled run ins with a restaraunt,s he has a totally diifferent view of how this incident took place. First with the accusation of throwing pepper at a kids food. Nevermind, I will give her a chance to tell her side before I vent.

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 07-30-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #16
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
First, I've known the owner since she we were both kids. She has never shown any of this behavior at all. To the contrary, quite the opposite. Second, she is not a short blonde. I will be contacting her to get the other side of the story.
The woman we had the confrontation with was a shorter blonde woman and was identified to me as the owner by the manager. I have absolutely no reason to lie about her appearance or the fact she was identified to me as the owner. I encourage you contact your childhood friend the owner and would appreciate knowing what her take on it was, if you're so inclinced. Feel free to pm or if you'd rather it be public knowledge here that's fine as well.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #17
hazelnut

It's the whole dumping of the pepper on her daughters food that irks me. If she did that to one of my kids and then berated them I would absolutely snap on her until SHE cried!

That being said the kid was wrong and the owner/manager should have addressed the parent and the PARENT only. She should have made the parent responsible for fixing the situation. For example were I the owner I would have taken the Pepper Shaker plopped it in front of K.C. and said "re-fill this as your daughter thought it was funny to put sugar in it." Then I would have said (as suggested) "You folks need to split up and sit with the kids, sorry but your kids are goofing off too much."

Knowing what I have read of K.C. she would have probably been apologetic and embarrassed and fixed the situation.

The restaurant owner has severely damaged the business reputation with this behavior and I will never patronize this establishment based on this story.
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
ILoveWinnipesaukee (07-30-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #18
KonaChick

I agree with everything you said hazelnut except I wouldn't be filling the pepper shakers, my daughter would be and if the owner had handled it in this manner she would be filling more than one pepper shaker.
BeaverIslandGuy (08-01-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #19
hazelnut

Quote:
I agree with everything you said hazelnut except I wouldn't be filling the pepper shakers, my daughter would be and if the owner had handled it in this manner she would be filling more than one pepper shaker.
Even better! That in itself would probably stick in my kids mind for a long time and deter them from that kind of behavior for many years to come.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #20
BernerGuy

Default Another perspective

As a restaurant owner, I have a different(not right or wrong) way of looking at this.
The trouble started when the party of 9, (reservation?) was seated. Now, we see about three children a month at our place (Not in NH), though all of our servers and hosts/hostesses know that no table is to be all children. There should/will always be an adult at the table. With an adult at each of those two tables, everything goes smoothly and all have a great time.

That didn't happen, so the child's table needs more visits than your average table. The server needs to be around more often. The manager should be checking in that everything is okay. The host should come by and greet both tables.

Most importantly, the ticket that went into the kitchen, and I don't know how busy it was or how they operate their kitchen, could have had a rush on it. When kids are waiting around for food is when trouble can start. Those silly place mats, available from ALL food vendors, work. We have used register tape and crayons to keep kids busy.

The child was wrong, but the "owner" or whichever adult(s) raised their voice in the restaurant was most wrong. We have had unruly customers, and a calm, cool, and collected voice generally in a step forward. In the four years we have been open, we have had three instances that have had to be logged in our incident book. Twice, it was the same person. Not once did I, our manager, or anyone else on staff raise their voice.

I hope The Bob House does well. It's good to see independent places do poorly. I will be in this weekend to give it a try, and I'll try to refrain from messing with the pepper.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #21
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
It's the whole dumping of the pepper on her daughters food that irks me. If she did that to one of my kids and then berated them I would absolutely snap on her until SHE cried!

That being said the kid was wrong and the owner/manager should have addressed the parent and the PARENT only. She should have made the parent responsible for fixing the situation. For example were I the owner I would have taken the Pepper Shaker plopped it in front of K.C. and said "re-fill this as your daughter thought it was funny to put sugar in it." Then I would have said (as suggested) "You folks need to split up and sit with the kids, sorry but your kids are goofing off too much."

Knowing what I have read of K.C. she would have probably been apologetic and embarrassed and fixed the situation.

The restaurant owner has severely damaged the business reputation with this behavior and I will never patronize this establishment based on this story.
Ok, I'm going to give part of the owners explanation here before this gets out of hand. She told me that in no way did she poor pepper on the kids food. The plate was an empty plate that they were finished with and she simply poured out a little of the pepper on the plate to show that the kids were messing with them. How did that turned into throwing pepper at my children? After the guests left several empty sugar packets were found under their plates. I also just talked with her son who witnessed and confirmed this. The owner was concerned that these kids were putting all kinds of different things into the condiments and thus her worry about other customers using them and hurting her business. I'd say a pretty legitimate statement. I'll let the owners tell the rest.

HZ, I've always thought of you as very levelheaded with reasoned posts. It surprised me that you state you would never patronize this place based on this one persons view. Remember the Lobster Pound thread and how that turned out? No pun intended here but we need to take some things with a grain of salt.
Pineedles (08-01-2009), secondcurve (08-04-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #22
hazelnut

Quote:

HZ, I've always thought of you as very levelheaded with reasoned posts. It surprised me that you state you would never patronize this place based on this one persons view. Remember the Lobster Pound thread and how that turned out? No pun intended here but we need to take some things with a grain of salt.
True and I appreciate the comment. I guess I was basing my opinion on a first hand report from what I feel is a trusted member of the forum who has pretty good credibility in my eyes. I'll wait and see what else comes out but I'm thinking the owner is probably going to try and paint a different picture to cover herself. No mention on whether or not she yelled at and made a young girl cry? Pepper or no pepper it's out of line and uncalled for. I will temper my statement and say this. I'll think twice about going to this restaurant. At any rate this story is bad for business and the story comes from a reputable member of this board, not some troll with an axe to grind. As a parent when you hear of adults yelling at children that are not their own it strikes a nerve. Thanks for the post SIKSUKR maybe both parties learned a lesson?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
Irrigation Guy (07-31-2009), Resident 2B (08-01-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #23
SIKSUKR

For what it's worth I was told there was no yelling as has been claimed. She might have gone about in a better way maybe. From an outsider not being there, this incident sounds like the Cambridge police and Professor Gates.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #24
Gilligan

Unhappy How old is your daughter KonaChick?

Quote:
My daughter is definetely old enough to know better but the fact she started crying when the owner yelled at her and poured out the bottle of pepper on her food shows you she's far from being an adult. Malicious? No...Stupid...YES!! .
Angela4Design asked how old your daughter is, 6 or 16 makes a difference. You don't give a direct answer which leads me to believe she is on the older side.

Asking for a compensated meal after your kid pranks the restaurant is a bit much IMO.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #25
KonaChick

Quote:
For what it's worth I was told there was no yelling as has been claimed. She might have gone about in a better way maybe. From an outsider not being there, this incident sounds like the Cambridge police and Professor Gates.
I'm not sure if I'm Professor Gates or the Cambridge Police An awful strange thing to compare this situation to.

I have been a member of this Forum and a regular contributer on many posts since 2004. It is my opinion that you can tell the sincerety and perhaps even some personality traits about forum members through their posts. I have never lied on this forum and have made a conscience effort to examine any facts I post before I post them and to be totally honest about my opinions even if they may hurt someone's feelings. I always state my opinions in what I consider to be a respectful manner, perhaps others feel differently. I did not hatch a plan to diss The Bob House on the forum on the drive over to dinner, that's just not in my personality to be cruel like that. The owner absolutely did open up a bottle of pepper and dump it over my child's dinner plate which she was still eating. She absolutely did yell and cause a scene. She absolutly did not let me get a word in edgewise even when my daughter cried and admitted she had done this. I don't believe there were sugar packets under the plates, frankly I don't believe a word she says or will say on this forum. When I got home my motivation to call the restaurant was not to get the meal comped but to let them know that first and foremost we understood my child was in the wrong and to let them know she was given consequences for her behavior. Second I was determined to let them know the owner's actions were outrageous and severely out of line. When the manager said to me "What do you want me to do about it" the first that that came to mind was to tell him I just wanted him to know how I felt and that perhaps they could comp my child's meal. In other words my motivation wasn't to get a free meal but to let them know that kind of behavior was outrageous and as a paying customer we shouldn't have to deal with it.
Now anyone reading this post can and I'm sure will make up their minds about what they believe. I'm not going to try to sway anybody anymore. I feel this forum is about positive AND negative experiences that we have on Lake Winni and I will continue to post as honestly and with as much integrity as I can on both. My daughter made her bed when she choose to put sugar in the pepper shaker and now she has to lay in it. The owner of The Bob house made her bed when she reacted in an innapropriate, unacceptable manner in front of her whole restaurant, and she needs to lay in it too. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to KonaChick For This Useful Post:
BeaverIslandGuy (08-01-2009), Charlie T (07-30-2009), gormck (07-30-2009), ironhorsetim (07-31-2009), Irrigation Guy (07-31-2009), JDeere (08-01-2009), jeffk (07-31-2009), Jonas Pilot (07-30-2009), Meredith lady (07-30-2009), Resident 2B (08-01-2009), twoplustwo (07-30-2009), VitaBene (07-30-2009), Woodsy (07-31-2009)
Old 07-31-2009, 04:32 AM   #26
Commodore

Question How old is your daughter?

KonaChick,

How old is your daughter?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:50 AM   #27
phoenix

sounds like time for a beer with the President
Old 07-31-2009, 07:55 AM   #28
VitaBene

Default Good points but....

Quote:
Ok, I'm going to give part of the owners explanation here before this gets out of hand. She told me that in no way did she poor pepper on the kids food. The plate was an empty plate that they were finished with and she simply poured out a little of the pepper on the plate to show that the kids were messing with them. How did that turned into throwing pepper at my children? After the guests left several empty sugar packets were found under their plates. I also just talked with her son who witnessed and confirmed this. The owner was concerned that these kids were putting all kinds of different things into the condiments and thus her worry about other customers using them and hurting her business. I'd say a pretty legitimate statement. I'll let the owners tell the rest.

Siksukr,

No question there are 2 sides to every story, but I am surprised that we have heard nothing from the owners at this point. I know if it were my place being talked about and I had a conflicting story, I would be registered and responding in a heartbeat!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:47 AM   #29
angela4design

Default ditto

Quote:
...nobody and I mean nobody... gets to scream at my kids like that, I don't care what my kid may have done, screaming, threatening and physical intimidation just will not happen and will bring an equal response to the aggressor, with me between the aggressor and my kid.
I feel the same way as ITD. If that's true, I would have hit the roof. If you have a problem with my child, talk to ME.

This story, btw, reminds me of my many years as a server where kids and teens would unscrew the caps from the S & P shakers (which would pop off the next time someone used them). Solution: REMOVE the shakers in question when you know that has possibly happened. Fix it! The damage is done. How expensive is salt? It never dawned on me to be mad about it. It was a childish - and common - prank to mess with whatever's on the table! If you can remove while the kids are still at the table, even better for them to see that staff watches what's going on in the restaurant! Daily sidework involves checking over the items on the table. I guess I still don't understand - why the big deal about it?

KC seems to be pretty level in previous posts, so the emotion behind the initial post here points to an obviously uncomfortable situation for all. I'm curious to see which details the owner might have to contest in the argument. A little pepper, a lot - WHY take issue, either way?
The Following User Says Thank You to angela4design For This Useful Post:
Irrigation Guy (07-31-2009)
Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #30
ironhorsetim

Default The burning question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
And, I'm curious how old the child is, six or sixteen? It would make a difference in my perception.
Quote:
My daughter is definetely old enough to know better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
Angela4Design asked how old your daughter is, 6 or 16 makes a difference. You don't give a direct answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
KonaChick,

How old is your daughter?
Even though it sounds like it was over the top for a business to handle it that way,I think it really makes a differance...So.....how old is she Please?

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
Old 07-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #31
publicdocker

How can the confirmed stories be so different???
Old 07-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #32
KonaChick

Drum roll please....My daughter is 11 soon to be 12. As I stated definetely old enough to know better but still young enough to cry when yelled at by an adult. To be honest I feel strang posting identifying information about my daughter but I do understand it's an intregal part of this.
ironhorsetim (07-31-2009)
Old 07-31-2009, 12:24 PM   #33
Newbiesaukee

In today's world I also am reluctant to post anything of an identifying nature on the internet, particularly as it concerns children. IMO given your child's age, the behavior you describe from the "owner," is even more inappropriate. With a 16-17 year old who should know better the owner's action would, PERHAPS, be more understandable to some people (altho IMO even an adult should not be treated in the manner you describe). I appreciate your releasing the information which supports your understandable reaction to the incident.
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
ironhorsetim (07-31-2009)
Old 07-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #34
dewitt

Kona Chick, Having 3 daughters 5,9,11 I know how you need to get them out and learn/teach how to act properly at a restaraunt. Most of the time it works and sometimes you need to take them aside and discipline. Sounds like you had the bases covered and this manager/owner was way out of line. I compliment you on your composure.
The Following User Says Thank You to dewitt For This Useful Post:
Drummer Girl (07-31-2009)
Old 07-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #35
SIKSUKR

Default My last comment on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Siksukr,

No question there are 2 sides to every story, but I am surprised that we have heard nothing from the owners at this point. I know if it were my place being talked about and I had a conflicting story, I would be registered and responding in a heartbeat!
VB, neither owner seems to up on the forum thing like we are. She had me call her son who understands this stuff better. He has told me that he registered yesterday. The rest is up to them.

Kona, I have no bone to pick with you. I was not there and can't give my version. I saw the thread and know the owner you had the run-in with and thought she should know about it. What I've posted here reflects that conversation. I'll leave it at that. No hard feelings please.
Drummer Girl (07-31-2009)
Old 07-31-2009, 12:59 PM   #36
hazelnut

Quote:
VB, neither owner seems to up on the forum thing like we are. She had me call her son who understands this stuff better. He has told me that he registered yesterday. The rest is up to them.

Kona, I have no bone to pick with you. I was not there and can't give my version. I saw the thread and know the owner you had the run-in with and thought she should know about it. What I've posted here reflects that conversation. I'll leave it at that. No hard feelings please.
SIKSUKR, As a reader of the forum I appreciate your comments. If it were my friend who owned the restaurant I probably would be in the exact same position as you are. Thanks for notifying your friend of the discussion going on here. I don't think any of us would hold any of this against you! You my friend are merely the messenger!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #37
ironhorsetim

Default Thank you

KonaChick....Thank you,I totally understand your reluctance to throw things out on the internet also. With that said "I think " 11 is still young enough to not fully understand that little pranks come with a pricetag. And if anyone treated my children or grandchildren poorly they would be dealing with me. Again thank you for your honesty and your well thought out posts. I for one enjoy reading your opinions

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ironhorsetim For This Useful Post:
gormck (07-31-2009), Newbiesaukee (07-31-2009), VitaBene (07-31-2009)
Old 07-31-2009, 02:36 PM   #38
Irrigation Guy

I too can't see KC exagerating to make her point and if someone was that way with my child I hope I would have been able to keep the same composure she did. Hats off to you KC, for handling the situation as well as you did under the circumstances.

I have been wondering how this place was but there are enough places around to take a wait and see attitude. I will be avoiding this place for some time, and mentioning my reluctance when this restaurants name comes up.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:52 PM   #39
luvmypups

Oh my gosh, I cant believe this story. I guess I can see both sides as a parent and someone who has worked in restaurants for years. I think the owner was concerned because obviously any other customer could have used those condiments and then food gets sent back, meals gets comped etc etc extremely troublesome to those in the kitchen and the management. If she really did pour pepper over the remainder of your daughter's uneaten meal then I would say that's going a little far but I know the majority of restaurants I worked at, the management would have been livid if that happened, maybe not gone that far but they would probably have been pretty pissed off. ON THE OTHER HAND, depending on your daughter's age, kids will be kids, they do things they arent supposed to and that's what they do. I would never let someone scream at my child that way and like Konachick, would have appreciated it if it was settled between adults and I would have offered for my child to fix what she did. I've heard the owners are very nice people and that they started that business for their young son to take over one day ( which is really great of them ). Sticky situation you've got here, I wouldnt go contacting the police but I know you must feel very bitter. They feel they were wronged and you feel you were wronged, I dont think anyone wins here unfortunately.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #40
jeffk

Default Way over the top

I'm sorry, unless someone is being VERY aggressive there is absolutely no excuse for an angry confrontation. Messing up some condiments? Really? Sounds pretty childish to me. Oops, they were kids. Threatening her business, come on. That's an enormous exaggeration to try to justify the owner's anger.

If the owner was upset she should have calmly requested the parents to supervise and removed all the condiments from the kids table. If the owner really wanted to keep her cool she could have just replaced the condiments after they left. There is certainly no money issue here, all the condiments couldn't have been worth more than a buck or two. This was just an attitude thing on the part of the owner.

Sorry to all all who are defending the owner but even now, KonaChick doesn't come off as angry or nasty. I believe she is telling the story as it happened. Yeah, different people see things differently but not this differently. The owner got confrontational over a couple of kids being foolish and there is simply no justification. The owner now has to save face in this discussion and I have doubts about her denials. KonaChick sounds mostly embarrassed about the whole thing and annoyed at what her kid did. Frankly on the 'annoying things that kids do scale' this only rates about 3 of 10. From behavior I have seen in restaurants by obnoxious adult patrons it sounds like the owner is going to have a stroke when she eventually runs into one of them. The owner did FAR more damage to her business by yelling at customers than the kids did. If you were at a restaurant and you witnessed an blowup by one of the staff would you want to go back there?

Just to be clear, I'm not letting the kid off the hook. Neither is KonaChick. But how about a proportional response?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Irrigation Guy (08-01-2009), Newbiesaukee (07-31-2009)
Old 08-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #41
sa meredith

Default my take

No one has stopped to consider that putting sugar in the salt shaker is actually a pretty funny practical joke.
Why, just yesterday, while have breakfast at VK, I emptied an entire bottle of Tabasco Sauce into a Ketchup bottle. Feel bad for the next person who got that bottle.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #42
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
No one has stopped to consider that putting sugar in the salt shaker is actually a pretty funny practical joke.
Why, just yesterday, while have breakfast at VK, I emptied an entire bottle of Tabasco Sauce into a Ketchup bottle. Feel bad for the next person who got that bottle.
The jokes on you... I dumped all the Ketchup bottles into the Tabasco the day before
Old 08-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #43
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Soooooo.....that's why everyone asked for more water.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #44
wifi

Actually the funniest thing I ever.... errr... that I observed was to take a full glass of water, put a coaster on it,
turn it upside down, then slide it onto the table. Drove the busboys nuts...

Its great to be in your 2nd childhood
Old 08-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #45
Newbiesaukee

It is fortunate that although we can't stay youthful, we can be immature forever.
wifi (08-01-2009)
Old 08-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #46
phoenix

and inconsiderate at times
Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #47
breathe easy

Default Good experience at the Bob House

Just had dinner at the Bob House and found it to be reasonably priced, friendly, good and varied menu and good service. No sugar in my salt shaker.....
Old 08-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #48
Pineedles

Default sa & Wifi

I haven't heard you two were on tour, but you make a good duo.
SA & WIFI!

The real joke is that I was in after you two and replaced all the ketchup bottles with my homemade homegrown most excellent fresh tomato sauce. Once all the jars are empty the business will definitely spiral downward if they replace it with plain ketchup.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #49
BeaverIslandGuy

Default can't believe this....

And by that I don't mean I have any doubt in any detail that KC has posted. You can hear the anquish in her words about the decision to post, and that speaks volumes in itself.

I can't believe that a) the owner (or whomever the short blond was) reacted that way or b) that KC kept her cool for not only her time in the restaurant but thereafter.

KC. My hats off to you for your composure. I am not sure I could have for so long. I also sense your inner fight about posting the incident. I, for one, am glad you did. I had no plans to visit this restaurant, but while you would have preferred to make this a teachable moment for your daughter, by posting perhaps you have made it one for the "owner".

I don't need to see anyone else's account other than KC. In the 3 years I "lurked" and the two years I have posted, your posts have always been well thought out and balanced.

ITD had it right. NOBODY but NOBODY gets to yell at my kids but better half and me. The only exception is if it is a warning to not step off a curb in front of bus (or similar).

While I am not sure I would have put 5 kids that young (assuming, maybe incorrectly, that KC's daughter was the oldest) alone at a table, unless he/she just started a fire, it is inexcusable for the yelling, much less the pepper pouring (and to me it did not matter if she was eating or on an empty plate.)

One note of balance. salt into the pepper would have been much less of a worry than sugar. What if a diabetic had used it?

As for wifi, sa meredith, and pineedles, I'll be sure to request as different table than the one you vacated!

Last edited by BeaverIslandGuy; 08-02-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: wrong adjective - now anquish
Old 08-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #50
itchin for fishin

Default Not too sharp of a businessperson

I will say in all the years I have read this forum, KonaChick has always seemed to post good and reasonable responses. Clearly, as reported, the owner dealt with the kids and not the parents (only KC after the fact). She should have discussed the issue with the adult's table, then change the condiments after the kids left. End of story. Instead, she probably lost more business than if someone tasted sugar in the salt or pepper. They know they are getting trashed on the forum and yet don't respond. Go figure.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #51
ScenicNH

Default Inappropriate Post

Although I found reading this thread to be entertaining I don't think the orginal post is appropriate for this topic. I come here to read reviews about the dining experience as it pertains to the food, service, and value. Maybe a subthread titled "Complaint Dept" should used for discussions such as this. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #52
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicNH View Post
Although I found reading this thread to be entertaining I don't think the orginal post is appropriate for this topic. I come here to read reviews about the dining experience as it pertains to the food, service, and value. Maybe a subthread titled "Complaint Dept" should used for discussions such as this. Just my 2 cents.
How a restaurant deals with the little surprises of day to day life can be very telling. I appreciate KC taking the time post her experience here, even if the details are slightly skewed due to emotions, I think that her post most likely represents things accurately enough to know that the owners of that establishment are not the sorts that I would want to patronize.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #53
VitaBene

Quote:
Scenic, this was part of the dining experience she had. I think you will find that most posters, especially the thread starters want to say bad things about someones business. I think it is appropriate- this is a discussion forum, if we wanted straight reviews we would go to restaurant.com or a similar site.

Personally, something has to be real bad for me to complain about it publicly. Based on what KC has posted in the past, I believe she feels the same.

I want to see them do well, we need more year round places on this side of the lake, especially those accessible from the snowmobile trails.

Last edited by VitaBene; 08-02-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Speled accessible rong
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Gatto Nero (08-03-2009), Newbiesaukee (08-02-2009)
Old 08-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #54
ScenicNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Scenic, this was part of the dining experience she had. I think you will find that most posters, especially the thread starters want to say bad things about someones business. I think it is appropriate- this is a discussion forum, if we wanted straight reviews we would go to restaurant.com or a similar site.

Personally, something has to be real bad for me to complain about it publicly. Based on what KC has posted in the past, I believe she feels the same.

I want to see them do well, we need more year round places on this side of the lake, especially those accesible from the snowmobile trails.
VB, I haven't noticed that most threads here start with bashing someone's business. In fact, most are pretty informative reviews, in my opinion.

This one, however, clearly has no other purpose than bashing the owner when KC doesn't even seem to know exactly who she was talking to, sometimes the blond woman is described as the manager and other times she's the owner.

As far as the description of events is concerned, I can only say this is some of the most bizarre behavior I've ever heard of taking place in a restaurant. Since voices were raised and kids were crying, I'm surprised no one else who was actually there hasn't responded on this forum to verify or refute what happened.

I'm not ready to write off this business based on what I've read here so far.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #55
srich

Default Perspective from the other side

Ok so after reading all of the posts on here and seeing how this story has been blown up, I think that as the server for the family that night I should clear a couple things up. I do appreciate the positive comments about myself, but I think it would do everyone good to hear the story from "the other side."
The party was split up with 5 at each table- there was a kid's table...which was about a foot away from the adult's table. I was not aware that there was an issue at the table until the owner (the blonde woman) was at the table asking about the salt and pepper shakers. The reason that she was asking was because another table had specifically called over the manager (the owner's son) and told them they were concerned because they had seen the kids pouring things into the salt and pepper shakers....which went unnoticed by the parents who were at the table right next to them. The manager went over to the table first and when he asked the kids if they had in fact dumped sugar into the salt they asked him to prove it and find the wrappers (which WERE on the table). This is when the owner started asking the daughter if she had put salt in the pepper shaker, which she did open and dump onto the plate. Also, KonaChick says that her daughter's meal was only half eaten, but I had already begun clearing off plates from the tables at this point.
I do agree that this situation should not have been handled in front other customers, but I think the thing that everyone is missing is WHY the owner got so upset. As a server, I know that some of the most important things are to make sure that our guests' meals taste good and are not going to be harmful to their health. Being a waitress for five years I know that when someone has a food allergy or needs to watch what they eat for health reasons, I, along with the kitchen staff, am fully aware. It may have seemed like a joke, but if someone with diabetes or blood sugar issues had used the salt there could have been bigger problems than simply laughing off a prank- not to mention how many other meals would have needed to be comped (can you imagine pouring sugar all over a steak or pasta?).
Clearly things could have been handled differently and I am not trying to excuse the owner's actions, but I have worked for the owners for five years (among other restaurants in the Lakes Region) and I have never seen a reaction like the one that night. The owners have had a following of almost all their staff from their previous restaurant, as well as many regular customers travelling from over 30 minutes away. I understand how this experience was not a pleasant one for KonaChick or her family, but it does not mean it will be a bad one for other diners. I think she blamed the entire incident on the owner for her reaction, but she failed to see how her daughter's actions were at the root of the problem.

I do not mean to stir up anything else by writing this, I just felt it was unfair to have the owners and the restaurant bashed all over this forum because of an incident that one family experienced.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to srich For This Useful Post:
Mr. V (08-02-2009), secondcurve (08-04-2009)
Old 08-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #56
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by srich View Post

Clearly things could have been handled differently and I am not trying to excuse the owner's actions, but I have worked for the owners for five years (among other restaurants in the Lakes Region) and I have never seen a reaction like the one that night. The owners have had a following of almost all their staff from their previous restaurant, as well as many regular customers travelling from over 30 minutes away. I understand how this experience was not a pleasant one for KonaChick or her family, but it does not mean it will be a bad one for other diners. I think she blamed the entire incident on the owner for her reaction, but she failed to see how her daughter's actions were at the root of the problem.

I do not mean to stir up anything else by writing this, I just felt it was unfair to have the owners and the restaurant bashed all over this forum because of an incident that one family experienced.
If you had actually read the complete post that KonaChick wrote, she stated clearly that her daughter was wrong. The point we are trying to make is this should have been brought to the attention of the parent, no one has the right to yell at children without being the child's parent. Talk to the parent, have them deal with the issue. I believe everything that KonaChick said happened and with what you have written, I feel you affirm this opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to ILoveWinnipesaukee For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (08-03-2009)
Old 08-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #57
Jersey Joe

Thank you for this posting, I will certainly never set foot in that place.

I am glad it was not my child, because my wife would be bailing me out of the Mountonboro town jail right now.

What adult would pour pepper over a kids food ! That is insane.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #58
EricP

I grew up in retail in a family business and the single biggest take-away lesson is that you never ever ever lose control or argue in front of a customer for any reason whatsoever. Arguing with a customer is different and involves using a lot of tact, but you still don't lose control of yourself.

KonaChick has clearly stated her daughter was wrong. The incident was identified by other customers, at that point someone should have just spoken with the parents and never directly addressd the children. The parents should have then spoken with the children with management observing and providing input/evidence if needed.

Life throws situations at you and it's not that these things happen, it's how you deal with them that shows and tests your character. I believe the owner handled the situation poorly and that speaks volumes.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #59
dpg

Jersey Joe: The child was done with the meal, that was stated several times. Your wife would be bailing you out of jail? Not a very mature comment to make.

The owner was WAY over-board but I think a lot of people are running to Kona's defense because she is very familiar on this site.

I'm just curious what ever did end up happening to the girl in question (I mean punishment) yeah I know none of my business.

I'm surprised no adult at the table noticed the (child) fooling with the shakers, when mine were that small (and sitting alone) chances are VERY good I would of noticed. I watched them like a hawk.

I do not believe the incident warranted calling thepolice as a grandparent suggested.

O.K. go ahead and bash me...I can take it.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #60
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Exclamation Not an Empty Spot in the LOT?

I have eaten there once several weeks ago. The food was good and so was the service.

Has any noticed the amount of cars in the parking lot last night and to night? Were they all curious to set what was going on at the BobHouse or just Hungery?

I passed and went to Buckey's for the STEAK TIPS.

Let see if any one who has been there this weekend comments.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #61
Allday

Unhappy Restaurant life preserver

As I have read the forum for a few years now and I often wonder if the people bashing restaurants would do so if they in turn had a load of people and an public forum critiqueing their weekly preformance. Surely you all have messed up a few times at work but no one has coralled several others to never do business with your employers company? The owner overreacted for sure, but she has indeed spent $$ opening up a restaurant in a time when others are closing (under some pressure??). The child was pulling a prank and got caught. The owner over reacted, enough said. I understand they served good food in plymouth and will do so here, its shamefull for posters (nameless and faceless) to jump on the I'll never go there now band wagon knowing only whats posted here.

This posting has to do with all the restaurants that take a beating on this site not just this one.....
Old 08-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #62
Newbiesaukee

I think it is quite true that we do things right 99% and the time we screw up is the time we get caught. And we are often redeemed by apologizing and admitting we screwed up. In this SPECIFIC situation, the owner was clearly wrong in the first place. Secondly, when KC called later, the owner could and should have apologized for her actions which would probably have ended this right there and KC would not have reported it. IMO, the owner was wrong in the first place, but doubly wrong in not taking responsibility for her error in judgment. Yes, we all make mistakes; admitting our mistakes is the important thing. In all the comments I have yet to see any stated comments directly attributed to the owner. This would have been possible despite the statement in an earlier post that the owner is not technologically up to responding to the forum. I think we have beaten this to death. My only wish is anyone commenting further read the entire thread. Although as I stated earlier, IMO management is often correct in parent/child/restaurant problems; BUT in this specific situation with a reliable and known poster and no real refutation of her version even by supporters of the restaurant, the owner was so off-base it really makes one reluctant to support the restaurant. An apology would have settled the issue. To err is human; it is not admitting the error that is the problem. Most of us are not divine enough to forgive without that admission. Sorry for the rant.
brk-lnt (08-03-2009)
Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #63
BeaverIslandGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allday View Post
As I have read the forum for a few years now and I often wonder if the people bashing restaurants would do so if they in turn had a load of people and an public forum critiqueing their weekly preformance. Surely you all have messed up a few times at work but no one has coralled several others to never do business with your employers company? The owner overreacted for sure, but she has indeed spent $$ opening up a restaurant in a time when others are closing (under some pressure??). The child was pulling a prank and got caught. The owner over reacted, enough said. I understand they served good food in plymouth and will do so here, its shamefull for posters (nameless and faceless) to jump on the I'll never go there now band wagon knowing only whats posted here.

Even now, an apology could still end this incident.

This posting has to do with all the restaurants that take a beating on this site not just this one.....
Actually, the reporting of bad experiences with poor service/products is nothing new, just the impact of technology. The old (pre forum, blog, etc) rule of thumb was that a bad experience was told to 100 people (10 direct, and 10 one level beyond). With the current electronics (and, yes, ability to do so in an unattributable mode), it is probably 1000 or 10,000 reach now.

And yes, this did and does indeed drive customers away. Always has, always will. Does not matter if it is a restaurant, retail store, service business, or other establishment. While every "screwup" at work should not result in a public thrashing, you CAN expect those that impact customers to result in consequences. Even when the customer is wrong, they are right. As for a company coralling other companies to convince them never to do business, companies are careful here as it can lead to "tortuous interferance with a contract". No such stipulation exists for end consumers.

Assume that every thing you write on the internet and every minute of your life (and hopefully only the public parts of your life) will end up on the front page of the paper and on youtube. We are there now. I am actually surprised that someone did not whip out a cell phone, snap a video, and post it.

I agree with newbesaukee that even after the original incident in the restaurant, the owner could have ended it on the subsequent call (starting with the aforementioned appology) and possibly working with KC to work out a suitable punishment at the restaurant on a subsequent day. Sadly, as stated, she compounded the issue and her silence here, though she knows about the forum and postings, does indeed speak volumes.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:16 AM   #64
angela4design

Default over condiments

So, for a few packets of sugar, the owner gets *this*.

I appreciate the server's side of the story, but I still think I would have removed the condiments from the table, instead of pitching a fit. Did she expect to undo the damage? Why throw a fit? Well, in the server's story, it seems that she feels it was an unusual reaction from the owner.

Kona, I'm still with you. Like I've said, if you have an issue with my child, take it up with ME. Good lord!

And I don't the daughters' subsequent 'punishment' is any of our business! We're here for restaurant reviews.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #65
dpg

I'd eat there tomorrow and NOBODY (well maybe one family) has any reason not to try this restaurant, that would be foolish. I also agree about the parking lot, being full a good amount of times speaks volumes.

Yeah the owner could (alright should have) approached the "adult table" but remember this child will survive. Ever get a good woopin from your parents when you were younger? If you did and your still around to read this thread well...Enough said.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #66
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Jersey Joe: The child was done with the meal, that was stated several times. Your wife would be bailing you out of jail? Not a very mature comment to make.

The owner was WAY over-board but I think a lot of people are running to Kona's defense because she is very familiar on this site.

I'm just curious what ever did end up happening to the girl in question (I mean punishment) yeah I know none of my business.

I'm surprised no adult at the table noticed the (child) fooling with the shakers, when mine were that small (and sitting alone) chances are VERY good I would of noticed. I watched them like a hawk.

I do not believe the incident warranted calling thepolice as a grandparent suggested.

O.K. go ahead and bash me...I can take it.

You are correct, it's none of your business what consequence my child received. My daughter was not done with her meal, that is simply not true. I agree that the incident did not warrant calling the police, that's why it wasn't done. We were watching them even going over to the table several times to sit with them and chat but obviously my child still managed to do what she did. As parents we try our best to keep an eye out for bad behavaior but sometimes it gets by us, I take full responsibility for that. I hope this clears up any questions you have about the incident, and no bashing required.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #67
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
So, for a few packets of sugar, the owner gets *this*.

I appreciate the server's side of the story, but I still think I would have removed the condiments from the table, instead of pitching a fit. Did she expect to undo the damage? Why throw a fit? Well, in the server's story, it seems that she feels it was an unusual reaction from the owner.

Kona, I'm still with you. Like I've said, if you have an issue with my child, take it up with ME. Good lord!

And I don't the daughters' subsequent 'punishment' is any of our business! We're here for restaurant reviews.
To the bolded...EXACTLY.
1. Kid puts sugar in salt shaker
2. Other customer notices and informs restaurant staff
3. Restaurant staff removes condiments from table and corrects problem in kitchen
4. Manager or server politely informs adult table of issue, and that it was resolved on their end
5. Parents address issue on their end, however they choose
6. THE END
Old 08-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #68
KonaChick

Quote:
VB, I haven't noticed that most threads here start with bashing someone's business. In fact, most are pretty informative reviews, in my opinion.

This one, however, clearly has no other purpose than bashing the owner when KC doesn't even seem to know exactly who she was talking to, sometimes the blond woman is described as the manager and other times she's the owner.

As far as the description of events is concerned, I can only say this is some of the most bizarre behavior I've ever heard of taking place in a restaurant. Since voices were raised and kids were crying, I'm surprised no one else who was actually there hasn't responded on this forum to verify or refute what happened.

I'm not ready to write off this business based on what I've read here so far.

I knew I was speaking to the owner when the manager identified her as such. I do not see in any of my posts where I appear to be confused as to whom I was speaking too. In his first post SIKSUKR said he has known the owner since they were kids and then states that she's not a blonde woman. I post again telling him that the shorter blonde woman was identified to me as the owner. SIKSUKR has since edited his post and removed the part about telling me she's not a blond woman. It's all in the first several posts and I even quote SIKSUKR. Go to the post to see where he edited out that part. I have no idea why no other patrons who where there that night have not responded to verify or refute what happened, perhaps they are unaware of the Forum's existance.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #69
SIKSUKR

Default I thought I was done.

I never said she was not blonde KC,I said she was not short.I have already made a statement to you and asked for no hard feelings.I take no responsibility for this incident and will make no excuses for either side.I should not have gotten in the middle of this in the first place cuz this is not my fight.I know the owner and thought it odd that she would respond as you posted.I was not there and should not have even posted.For that,I apologize and ask forgiveness.I'm moving on with a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #70
sa meredith

Default bad taste?

Quote:
I never said she was not blonde KC,I said she was not short.I have already made a statement to you and asked for no hard feelings.I take no responsibility for this incident and will make no excuses for either side.I should not have gotten in the middle of this in the first place cuz this is not my fight.I know the owner and thought it odd that she would respond as you posted.I was not there and should not have even posted.For that,I apologize and ask forgiveness.I'm moving on with a bad taste in my mouth.
Bad taste in your mouth???? Maybe someone mixed some salt in with your sugar.

This thread turned a bit uglier than it needed to, I believe.
My thoughts all along have been that the kids were just being kids...no biggie.
And the owner was probably out of line for shouting at the children (is it ever OK to yell at children other than your own?). And dumping the pepper out??? Well...whatever. Maybe she was just having a tough/busy day.
KC has very right to be upset, and if she wishes, never has to return there.

As an aside...it is also quite funny to loosen the top of a salt or pepper shaker, so the next person gets a platefull. Maybe next time?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (08-03-2009), twoplustwo (08-03-2009)
Old 08-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #71
phoenix

i suspect Kevin wouldn't be happy if you did that in his restaurant. do you think?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #72
dpg

Looking at all these (friends??) now going back and forth makes me wonder why these posts even need to be placed here. This is a restaurant review board, order a steak and get chicken delivered then that might be a review. 4 years old or 40 the child was wrong and the owner went way over-board with her actions. That's no reason for anyone else to even be aware of this incident or further for any of us to avoid this establishment. S!@# happens and this was unfortunate, yell at your kid and move on.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #73
donnamatrix

Default I agree with DPG

The forum has seemingly become a place for never ending rants. I agree with DPG. Both parties were wrong here... everyone has put in their two cents. Let's move on
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donnamatrix For This Useful Post:
BrownEyedGirl (09-18-2009), JanN (08-04-2009)
Old 08-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #74
Shreddy

Default All reviews should be posted...

Reviews aren't simply about the food. I know enough now NOT to go to the Bob House as I do not condone the actions of the owner. Customer Service is usually the number one aspect in what sells a product or service. If you can't handle that aspect of the business, then I don't want to deal with you. I thank KC for the information so I do not have to be put in the situation for the future.

What would have happened if one of the adults knocked a glass off the table and it broke? Owner may have preached how the broken glass could potentially jeopardize her business...Just an example of how it goes outside the box. The owner was WELL out of line and I will not support those kind of mentalities.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #75
hazmatmedic

Default I guess we are not moving on?

Once again I see a bashing instead of a review and several readers will not go to this establishment because of that "review".

A "review" by KonaChick could have been different, but it turned personal. Proof by the last sentence of the orignal post, "OK rant over. Thanks as always for letting me vent!". That statement proves this isn't her first venting moment.

People who know the owner say this is out of character for her and yet there is speculation on how she would handle other situations. Again a quote from the original post, "There's no way this is an isolated incident. That woman didn't get up this morning and decide to be out of control, it's something she does on a regular basis. It's second nature to her."

It turned personal and now KonaChick has helped to form a boycott against this establishment. One could say the owner had/has it coming for her part in this fiasco. Maybe she does. I hope none of you have never or will never lose your cool.

I see a different post. Hmmmmm...."When you go out to dinner, no matter where, don't allow your children to mix condiments on the table. The owner could get very mad and yell at you and your kids."

That would have worked.
The Following User Says Thank You to hazmatmedic For This Useful Post:
dpg (08-04-2009)
Old 08-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #76
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmatmedic View Post
Once again I see a bashing instead of a review and several readers will not go to this establishment because of that "review".

A "review" by KonaChick could have been different, but it turned personal. Proof by the last sentence of the orignal post, "OK rant over. Thanks as always for letting me vent!". That statement proves this isn't her first venting moment.

People who know the owner say this is out of character for her and yet there is speculation on how she would handle other situations. Again a quote from the original post, "There's no way this is an isolated incident. That woman didn't get up this morning and decide to be out of control, it's something she does on a regular basis. It's second nature to her."

It turned personal and now KonaChick has helped to form a boycott against this establishment. One could say the owner had/has it coming for her part in this fiasco. Maybe she does. I hope none of you have never or will never lose your cool.

I see a different post. Hmmmmm...."When you go out to dinner, no matter where, don't allow your children to mix condiments on the table. The owner could get very mad and yell at you and your kids."

That would have worked.
I've posted before that it's up to the individual whether to go to a restaurant or not based on what other's post. I certainly wouldn't discourage OR encourage anyone to either boycott or go to The Bob House Restaurant for that matter. If you find my post helpful, great , if not that's ok as well. I would post again about my experience in a heartbeat and will continue to post or rant about good and bad experiences I have in restaurants in the Lakes Region. It's the same as posting if you've had a negative experience with a certain contractor , boat yard or any other type of service industry. I agree it's time to put this puppy to bed.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #77
lakeside123

Default Bobhouse Responding

KC just closed this thread as i was typing my response, i am not reopening the discusion by any means, just an apology.

Obviously we need to respond to the situation. As the manager/co-owner working that evening I briefly want to state my observation. My observation was that the owner was not screaming and making a scene in the dinning room. That is definately not her personallity. She has owned two previously successfull restuarants for 12 years each. She has had a faithfull and loyal following of customers and empolyees. This would not be the case if she were the accused lunatic. In hind sight, could we have handled the situation better, probably. However we are not here to argue. We would like to end by saying we are sorry for any inconvenience and hope you accept our apologies.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #78
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside123 View Post
KC just closed this thread as i was typing my response, i am not reopening the discusion by any means, just an apology.

Obviously we need to respond to the situation. As the manager/co-owner working that evening I briefly want to state my observation. My observation was that the owner was not screaming and making a scene in the dinning room. That is definately not her personallity. She has owned two previously successfull restuarants for 12 years each. She has had a faithfull and loyal following of customers and empolyees. This would not be the case if she were the accused lunatic. In hind sight, could we have handled the situation better, probably. However we are not here to argue. We would like to end by saying we are sorry for any inconvenience and hope you accept our apologies.
We'll have to agree to disagree on what we observed that night but I do appreciate your words.
Closed Thread