Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
Captain Zipper

Default Wine'ing Butcher in Gilford

Picked up some various steaks the other night. Phenominal!!!!!!

And they cost no more than at the grocery stores.

I'm going back there to pick some up for home.

They have that Japanese steak for $45/ pound. Anybody tried it? I'm thinking of getting a half pound to see what it's like.

Staff was so helpful I didn't want to leave.
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
SIKSUKR

Kobe beef is sure not worth 4 times as much as Angus.Your just paying for an overhyped marketing ploy.I don't get it.I'd stick with the usual steaks you thought were already great.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

You're right Siksukr......I once ordered a prime rib from the Newman ranch in California...same thing as Kobe... they do everything but teach the cattle to read and right.They play classical music,feed them the finast grain and oats....bottom line was it was not a bit better than, even USDA select out of the supermarket.Also tried Allen bros who deal in strickly prime meats and claim to supply the best staek houses in America such as Mortens,Ruth's Chris etc.The filets were perfectly trimmed but, once again....not a bit better than supermarket grade and not worth $50 lb.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
jrc

A lot of the value in expensive brand beef is in how you cook it. For example if you like your steak cooked more than medium, expensive brands really loose their advantage. The closer to raw, the more you notice the difference between choice, prime and the super premiums.

If I spent $45 a pound, I wouldn't just toss it on the grill. I'd look for a recipe designed to bring out all the flavor you paid for. You don't buy single malt scotch to make a boilermaker. But then again, I couldn't bring myself to spend $45 a pound for beef.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
MaidenCove07

Default Repeat - WB can't be beat for quality!

Hey Zip - I'm not sure I'd pay $45 a pound for ANYTHING, but if I did, I'd want Julia, Puck or Emeril right there with me making sure I didn't blow it!

I posted about the WB in another forum asking about where to find good meats under the General Topics, but I know I look for food on this section myself. Those prone to the power of suggestion, get a snack first before reading on...

The pre-marinated steak tips are $8.49 a pound (which my mother thought was outrageous until she tasted the terriyaki and the Grillmaster - her favorites and mine. Now she asks when she can come over for dinner for those yummy steak tips). There are a ton of flavors or just plain. The quality is #1 - grocery tips can have lots of fat or large veins of cartilage in them that make them very chewy. The one's I've gotten are trimmed and ALWAYS tender all the way through.

But wait there's more....

The marinated boneless Chicken breasts are $5.99 a pound and are also amazing and they grill up right. Don't know what planet those chickens grow on, but one half breast can feed 2 people. I recommend the Key West flavor or Tomato Basil (which is also quite yummy in pasta dishes).

They don't stop at marinated and butcher style meats though.
Their wine selection is very good (don't go looking for Boone's Farm or Gallo though).

Their chicken salad with cranberries is yummy. They even make potato salad, baked beans, pasta salad and other sides to go with your meal so it isn't just about the beef (did I just say that?). These sides are well prepared and very hearty, the beans have those little hunks of pork in there and the chicken is all white meat.

Kudos to the WB staff for knowing how to make their prices worth paying with their attitude, knowledge and high quality products (notice the order - that was on purpose)!!!

Off to grill up my terriyaki tips for supper!!!!
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
Island Life

Default Don't forget the cheese

They also have a small but good selection of fine cheeses; probably one of the best in the area. Ask Gretchen to recommend one for you. And you can get good quality fish (not supermarket fish) by ordering it in advanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenCove07

The pre-marinated steak tips are $8.49 a pound (which my mother thought was outrageous until she tasted the terriyaki and the Grillmaster - her favorites and mine.
Actually, I thought that price was quite reasonable. My family love the Burgundy tips and I searched all winter to find ones near home that were as good but found only less-tasty tips at higher prices.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
Captain Zipper

Maidencove,

I liked your post. You are correct with it all.

Actually I purchased the chickensalad with cranberries for lunch the other day. "Delish"

I think the place is great.

CZ
Old 07-21-2007, 05:28 AM   #8
TomC

Default for those in Moultonboro/CH area..

went to WB, and all the positive responses are justified, but its a long drive and Jojos is arguably as good for the marinated meats (we got steak tips and 2 kinds of chicken) and cranberry chicken salad. I tried hard to like the WB product better, but i found it indistinguishable (maybe thats a testament to my BBQ skills!). WB has wider selection, though...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
Captain Zipper

Tom,

What and where is Jojo's?
Old 07-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #10
Rinkerfam

WB is worth the stop. We popped in 5 min. before they closed last night to get some tips. Everybody was friendly and helpful (not what you'd expect at a retail location 5 min. before closing). I can't say enough about the quality of the meat. Tender would be an understatement. We will definitely be back for more.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #11
TomC

Default JoJos Country Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zipper
Tom,

What and where is Jojo's?
is a small convenience store on Moultonboro neck road, approximately 4 miles south of rt 25.

they sell all the things needed for vacation (food, beverages, basic household things). they have a good deli and meat section as well as a good sandwich counter.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #12
NHKathy

Default JoJo's !!

I haven't been to WB, so I can not compare, but -
Jojo's Cranberry Chicken Salad is soooooo good!!
I have it for lunch most days I visit the Lake, and I even stop by on my way back home and pick some up to bring home with me!!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
Captain Zipper

It's been 2 weeks, I'm dying here.................I need the Wine'ing Butcher!!!!!!!!!

There just ain't no beef or chicken like it here in CT.

Did anyone else notice that the chicken is like a beef grain? It's not 'stringy' like you get at the super market. What do they do............... keep each chicken in it's own pen and massage them daily?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #14
Lexxi

Smile Location ????

Where in Gilford is the Wining' Butcher?????

Thank You
Old 08-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #15
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxi
Where in Gilford is the Wining' Butcher?????

Thank You
In the same plaza as Patricks and Sears across from B Maes at the junction of Rt 11 & 11B.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #16
brk-lnt

If you haven't already, also try the marinated Turkey Tips. They are awesome as well.
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #17
SAMIAM

OK,OK,......so I don't jump on the bandwagon everytime somebody gets a good meal.We finally stopped at the WB after a very nice day at the Rockn' Ribfest at Gunstock.I bought a couple of pounds of the grillmaster tips and didn't get to them until today.Tossed them onto the grill at 600 degrees and gave them about 5 minutes a side.....took them off at about 115 degrees (rare) internal temp. HOLY BLEEP.............as I was slicing them up,people were attacking me.They came out perfectly carmelized but sweet and tender.I am a new fan...........can't wait to get back.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #18
pm203

This butcher shop is the real deal!! Even there hamburgers (made to order) our superior to anything you can buy at the market. I have referred numerous friends there, all of them very satisfied. The owners, Andrew and Gretchen are always there and always very helpful.
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #19
colt17

Default A+

we love it as well...... have tried almost all there meats and cant pick a favorite
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 PM   #20
Winnigirl

We made 2 visits to Andy and Gretchen and recommended them to our friends. We told them that we read all the raves about their shop on the forum. Their meat is amazing - so flavorful and tender. We tried the grillmaster, steakmaster and garlic pepper tips. Next time I will make sure to try the turkey and chicken tips, along with the ribs.

Has anyone tried the alaskan crab legs? They were HUGE!
Winnigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #21
pm203

Have not tried the crab legs, but the skewered shrimp was absolutely incredible!!!
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #22
bbarrell

Default We've been there along with several of our friends

who turned us onto the place. Always great food and the owner even offered to special cut a perfect slab of filet out back
bbarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #23
Weirs guy

Thanks to the new posts here I was FORCED to go over last night and get some grill master tips.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #24
SAMIAM

They are soooooo good,Weirs Guy....problem is,they are SO good that I never try anything else.I go there intending to try something new but always get thinking about the grille masters and I cave in.Love the red bliss potato salad,too.Nice and creamy.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:26 AM   #25
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default grille masters tips

They sound so good, why not offer them at the VK?
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:29 AM   #26
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Thumbs up

I visited the Wining Butcher for the first time last week. Nice people and a clean and attractive store.

We got a few pounds each of the Steak House Tips, Teriyaki Tips and Key West Chicken. All were great although the kids favored the Teriyaki Tips and the adults liked the Key West Chicken.

They said that many people have come in and mentioned the forum.

Here's a picture of some of what they offer:
Attached Images

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:25 PM   #27
Captain Zipper

Oh my God, Webmaster; here I sit in Ct. going thru withdrawals and "Wham" you post pictures. I need a bib I'm drooling so profusely.

How cruel can you be??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe you just had your "first" visit.

CZ

PS Was the chicken not just the best chicken ever?!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #28
Captain Zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
OK,OK,......so I don't jump on the bandwagon everytime somebody gets a good meal.We finally stopped at the WB after a very nice day at the Rockn' Ribfest at Gunstock.I bought a couple of pounds of the grillmaster tips and didn't get to them until today.Tossed them onto the grill at 600 degrees and gave them about 5 minutes a side.....took them off at about 115 degrees (rare) internal temp. HOLY BLEEP.............as I was slicing them up,people were attacking me.They came out perfectly carmelized but sweet and tender.I am a new fan...........can't wait to get back.

SAMIAM, I crack up everytime I read your post.

CZ

Old 08-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #29
Weirs guy

Quote:
They are soooooo good,Weirs Guy....problem is,they are SO good that I never try anything else.I go there intending to try something new but always get thinking about the grille masters and I cave in.
I seem to have the exact same issue!

Now?
Old 09-15-2007, 10:03 AM   #30
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up The Wine'ing Butcher

The Wine’ing Butcher has me so spoiled for steak tips!!! (Check out their logo in the link, it's very clever!) Anywhere else just won’t do. One of these days I should try something other than the Steak House Tips. I fear this winter I’ll be having serious withdrawals.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #31
Winni P

We frequented the Wine'ng Butcher in August and the tips were great! My cooler was already too full on the way home, or I would have stopped by and packed it with tips for home. I highly recommend them to everyone!
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #32
SIKSUKR

Default Love the WB

MMMM.Had some steakhouse tips courtesy of Seaplane Pilot this weekend at the NHIS Nascar race.They are great!!Thanks SP.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #33
Argie's Wife

Awesome meats....

AND

they have Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout beer....

It doesn't get better than that!!!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #34
jeffk

Thumbs up 2nd trip and still coming back for more

We dropped by on Monday and got some Grill master tips. We had previously tried the Burgundy tips. I loved them both. My wife preferred the Burgundy tips because the grill master tips tasted a little sweet to her but still enjoyed them. The quality of the meat is simply outstanding. We also have tried the chicken salad with walnuts and cranberries and the red bliss potato salad. So far we haven't gone wrong with anything.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:13 PM   #35
Island Life

Default Take some for the freezer

For those of us who can't do without, they will vacuum-pack the tips or chicken. Bring a cooler next time you're up and take home lots for the freezer.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #36
MaidenCove07

Default Now I know....

....why I pull into the WB and find a line out the door....all you posters are spreading the word like wildfire....way to go supporting the locals!

I just wait it out with a cold one at Patrick's....
Kudos to Andy and Gretchen for finding a location where people can find something equally yummy to savor while they wait for the line to go down...
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #37
Captain Zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life
For those of us who can't do without, they will vacuum-pack the tips or chicken. Bring a cooler next time you're up and take home lots for the freezer.
All the more reason for me to take a road trip up there!!!!!!!!!

Let's see.......I have 5 coolers.......I could always borrow a refrigerated tractor trailer from a friend of mine.........

CZ
Old 09-25-2007, 06:41 AM   #38
BBS2

Default complaint

We were at WB Saturday and I finally had to complain about no veg stuff for those of us of that ilk. Gretchen said that next year there willl be veggie burgers coming and MAYBE marinated tofu!
So now we can enjoy WB's culinary talents too! Great sides, condiments, and wine selection too
BBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:29 AM   #39
SAMIAM

Marinated tofu......oh,yum. I'm sure they will stock the products that you want only because they want to please all of their customers but,truth be told, not many people like that stuff.Why do you think they are called BUTCHER ?.....if you guessed (because they feature meat) you are correct.Unfortunately,they will probably have to throw out what you don't use.If people wanted tofu....everybody would be selling it.There is a reason that they don't.......can you guess what that reason might be?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #40
BBS2

Default whoa

Yikes...

Maybe someone would like to try some, or maybe someone's guest is veg. They won't compromise their bottom line, I'm sure, by adding a little tofu
Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #41
sa meredith

Default Veggies...

I would agree that searching for veggies/health food in a butcher shop is a bit strange. No big deal, but if I went to an auto parts store, and they could not refill my propane container, I would not be surprised. Makes sense.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #42
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS2
We were at WB Saturday and I finally had to complain about no veg stuff for those of us of that ilk. Gretchen said that next year there willl be veggie burgers coming and MAYBE marinated tofu!
So now we can enjoy WB's culinary talents too! Great sides, condiments, and wine selection too
Ever think of supplying the "veggies of your desire" for their expertise touch to flavor the items to the delight of your taste buds?

A win-win for all...
Old 09-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #43
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS2
Oh come on now.The place is named The Whining BUTCHER.That means cutting up MEAT.Vegi substitutes can be bought at other stores.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #44
Rattlesnake Gal

Smile Vegetarian Options - A Good Idea!

If you haven’t had the pleasure or should I say pressure of entertaining a vegetarian, you just won’t get it. I like to avoid the crowded Lakes Region grocery stores during the summer. The WB certainly could try a few things and see how it goes. Judging on how many items are available for vegetarians these days, there is definitely a market.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #45
Island Life

Quote:
Marinated tofu......oh,yum. I'm sure they will stock the products that you want only because they want to please all of their customers but,truth be told, not many people like that stuff.Why do you think they are called BUTCHER ?.....if you guessed (because they feature meat) you are correct.Unfortunately,they will probably have to throw out what you don't use.If people wanted tofu....everybody would be selling it.There is a reason that they don't.......can you guess what that reason might be?

Sorry Sam, but there are more of us vegetarians out there than you know. I would buy veggie burgers and marinated tofu everytime I'm in there - and I'm in there a lot 'cuz this vegetarian has a carnivorous family. I rave about the Whining Butcher because my family LOVES their food. Wish they had more for me in there.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #46
sa meredith

Default W B

Of course, if they had different items, people of different tastes would purchase them. But, please, don't lose sight of the original post, which read "...(she) finally had to complain" about the W.B. COMPLAIN???? About a BUTCHER shop not have veggie burgers and tofu.....COMPLAIN??????
Uummmmmmmm...OK. Would you go an animal shelter and complain they don't sell hunting equipment. Same thing. No big deal...
Complain was probably the wrong word to use.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:37 PM   #47
SAMIAM

Gretchen should have said;"Thanks for the input....but we are a butcher shop.If you are wanting tofu,I suggest that you go to an establishment that sells it"
Old 09-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #48
Island Life

If they are "just" a butcher shop, why do they sell all of those high-end cheeses, wines and specialty products? Andy handles the meats, Gretchen handles the other items. Why are we even having such a silly debate. Let them sell whatever they think they can sell.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #49
BBS2

Default thanks

Island Life and others....

I too live with omnivores and like them have high quality food which is why we go to WB. Portabello mushrooms in burgundy marinade sounds wonderful.

The "complain"part was tongue in cheek. Sorry you took it so literally. My compliments to the WB outweigh any "complaints".

And the word Bakery is not in their title yet they sell bread and cookies. If I go to a tavern with friends am I out of line to order an iced tea?

So looking at another segment of the population as willing customers for the little bit of case space might be lucrative.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:23 AM   #50
Rattlesnake Gal

Wink Wine'ing Butcher Not Whining Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life
If they are "just" a butcher shop, why do they sell all of those high-end cheeses, wines and specialty products?
Surely you didn’t miss the play of words in their name. The Wine'ing Butcher implies that they sell wine and meat.

Note the clever cleavers form a wine glass.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:36 AM   #51
SAMIAM

Certainly you wouldn't be out of line ordering an iced tea in a tavern.......that is an item that they have in stock,but BBS didn't do that. You leaned on Gretchen to order something special that is not much in demand.They are new and anxious to please and I think it was selfish to insist that they carry something that will, most likely,end up in the garbage.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:57 AM   #52
sa meredith

Default OK, I'm out

Samiam...while I found it a bit strange she was surprised a "butcher shop" didn't have tofu and veggie burgers (actually I found it amusing), I certainly donot believe she intends to pressure them into a bad business decision or was trying to be "mean" in an way. Go easy now....
Old 09-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #53
Weirs guy

Dear lord, when did the thread about the best butcher shop in the world turn to...

tofu? And veggie burgers?

Listen, if they want to sell salad food fine, just keep it away from the tips!

Now?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #54
SIKSUKR

Stopped in yesterday to get my fix of steakhouse tips.Had them on the barbee last night.Yumm!!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #55
Captain Zipper

Default I called Gretchen......

and asked if she had a starter for a 99 Chevy Suburban with the 5.7 Litre engine. She said that was a special order but that she could get it within 24 hours and asked me if I'd like to have her install it too and if I'd like a pound of steak tips on the side.

Now that's a butcher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I love about them, they're so accommodating.

Take it easy on the tofu crowd. She asked and Gretchen answered with the philosphy of "give the customer what they want".

Just more kudos to the WB.

CZ
Old 09-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #56
sa meredith

Default other stuff...

Do you happen to know if they plan on carrying replacement windows? It's about time for an upgrade, and I figured I'd grab them there after buying some tips.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #57
idigtractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy
Dear lord, when did the thread about the best butcher shop in the world turn to...

tofu? And veggie burgers?

Listen, if they want to sell salad food fine, just keep it away from the tips!
I Second, Third and Fourth that one.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #58
Rattlesnake Guy

If I were a vegetarian, I would think this would be the last place I would go to buy my vegetables that look like burgers. It would be like me trying to pass for a woman at the miss universe pageant. Not the best backdrop for such a deception.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #59
Captain Zipper

Default Rattlesnake Guy......

Here I was picturing WB's delicious showcase of steaks and now I have to picture you striding down the runway in a 2 piece bikini? I think I just lost my appetite. I'm hoping I don't lose more than that.

Love yah man.

CZ
Old 09-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #60
Rattlesnake Guy

Captain Zipper,
Thanks for the chuckle.

Here, focus, focus you should be fine in a minute.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #61
SAMIAM

Just when we get all get a little snarly with each other,Capt comes around with a couple of very funny posts and shows us all that we can exchange opinions with good humor. Next time I pick up my weekly fix of grillmaster tips,I'm going to drop off my snowblower for a fall tune-up.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:05 AM   #62
Captain Zipper

Default SamIam

I don't think you'll be disappointed, my Suburban runs like a champ!

In all honesty though, that is what I love about this forum.......the humor that so many have.....it's like family..... where one person will ask something or make a comment that others think is dumb...........and like siblings we will make fun of it. (The rebuttles to the guy looking for a fishing partner comes to mind. Oh man did I laugh.)

Sometimes it gets ugly but for the most part the better side in all of us shines thru in the end.

My best to each of you.

CZ
Old 09-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #63
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy
Captain Zipper,
Thanks for the chuckle.

Here, focus, focus you should be fine in a minute.
OK, new forum rule. You may never post a picture like that again. Especially if I'm going to see it at lunch, on Friday, when I'm going to be gone for the weekend and can't make it to the WB.

Now?
Old 09-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #64
sa meredith

Default snowblower....

Samiam...
The snowblower comment.........first time I have ever busted out in a deep down belly laugh while reading this board. Never saw it coming. Thanks for starting my Saturday at work with the laugh!
Old 09-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #65
SAMIAM

Enjoy your posts too,SA...sometimes funny and always positive. So many nice people in this forum.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #66
Rattlesnake Guy

How about at the next forum fest we have a wine and tip tasting event. It would be nice to know what flavors people like the best.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #67
Captain Zipper

Not realizing the sheer volume of the "cult following" that has risen from these posts I think the WB would run out of meat by noontime.........they would be overwhelmed by people at their booth...........I think the National Guard would have to be on premises to stop people from rioting........it could really get ugly!

But ohhhhhh....those fortunate few that arrived early............with a belly full of steak tips.......................to witness the afternoon's carnage laid out before you...........would almost make the suffering of those latecomers that were not so fortunate........bearable.

Okay so what is the date? ..............somebody call Gretchen and give her a heads up.

CZ
Old 10-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #68
DougNH

Default Vacuum packing

Picking up my supplies for the week on Saturday I was ordering multiple packages of the same meat. The person behind the counter realizing my order and offered to vacuum pack my bounty in individual packages. Seeing my 14 month old was screaming and terrorizing the store at the moment we declined however they said to feel free and call ahead and place an order and they would have it vacuumed packed for us. I thought this was an excellent idea.

I also mentioned this forum and they indicated that they do read it and take the feed back...
DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #69
Weirs guy

bump.

So as I sat at home last night dinning on my freshly purchased grillmaster tips, and yes I am trying to get your mouth watering, my wife informed me that the butcher shop is NOW ACCEPTING ORDERS FOR CHRISTMAS MEATS!

Now?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #70
hockeypuck

DougNH, is absolutely correct about the vac. pack. I called ahead last time I was in the area and had 12 two pound packs waiting for pickup. Pack them in ice in a cooler for the trip home (CT) & throw them into the freezer. Problem is friends and relatives are always begging for a pack so they are gone before you know it. They thaw in the frig in about 24 hours and grill up in about 10 minutes. Our favorite is the grillmaster. Thinking about making a run up to NH for the ice fishing derby and coming home with no fish but lots of steak tips. Now if they would only do mail order...hmmmm.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:54 PM   #71
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypuck
Thinking about making a run up to NH for the ice fishing derby and coming home with no fish but lots of steak tips. Now if they would only do mail order...hmmmm.
Thinking of shipping your snowblower for a fall tune-up, are you?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #72
sa meredith

Default more...

tofu, snowblower, replacement windows...it just does not get old.
I believe they are opening a small auto parts department in April....
Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #73
WeirsBeachBoater

What did I miss? Obviously I missed a joke here somewhere folks? Snowblowers?
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 PM   #74
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater
What did I miss? Obviously I missed a joke here somewhere folks? Snowblowers?

There's stores selling those items in that same little plaza... sorta one stop shopping....

Personally, I was thinking that picking up some meats and tailgating at Meadowbrook before a concert this summer would be lovely... (just don't check what I might have in the little brown bag I'm nipping out of!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #75
sa meredith

Default no, no...

That's not it...nothing to do with the plaza.
Somewhere in this thread, it was stated that they should carry tofu. Many people thought that a bit foolish...a butcher shop offering tofu. Which turned to others sarcastically saying they offer other "off the wall items". One poster actually suggesting they should offer tune ups on small engines.
Very funny stuff at the time...
Old 11-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #76
Argie's Wife

Oh... [looks sheepish...]

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #77
The Big Kahuna

Default Hell has frozen over

[QUOTE=GWC...][center]Ever think of supplying the "veggies of your desire" for their expertise touch to flavor the items to the delight of your taste buds?

When someone goes to a butcher shop and complains that they don't have veggies, it is a sign of the beginning of the end!

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #78
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
When someone goes to a butcher shop and complains that they don't have veggies, it is a sign of the beginning of the end!
Well, the end is at hand! We stopped by the butcher last Thursday night (to get the snow blower tuned up) and got the great news they are planning to expand! But its a secret, so don't tell anyone. Turns out they are planning to start offering organic foods, breads, ect. and spread the scope of the store past just being a butcher shop. No word on the snow blower shop though.

They we're telling me that its not unusual for customers to FLY in to the airport and pick up a $500 order, then fly home!

Now?
Old 01-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #79
sa meredith

Default and on and on it goes...

...word has it they are going to be offering shrink wrapping services for any boat under 30' next Fall. Must sign up early, though.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #80
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
...word has it they are going to be offering shrink wrapping services for any boat under 30' next Fall. Must sign up early, though.

You heard wrong. It's not shrink-wrapping services, it's vacuum-packing for boats under 30'.
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #81
PennyPenny

Smile Another Rumor...but

An employee from WB in Gilford who was at our home over the weekend told us that the WB has either purchased or is renting/leasing the building behind Blue Canoe in Meredith and hopes to open in the next 2 months or so. I don't know for sure if it is true but it would be handy for some of us. I wonder if they will expand to the full service they now offer in Gilford. Lawn mowers,shrink wrapping etc. Has anyone been in the Gilford store recently and was anything mentioned?
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #82
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPenny View Post
An employee from WB in Gilford who was at our home over the weekend told us that the WB has either purchased or is renting/leasing the building behind Blue Canoe in Meredith and hopes to open in the next 2 months or so. I don't know for sure if it is true but it would be handy for some of us.
That would be great!
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #83
sa meredith

Default I assume...

PennyPenny...
I assume you know the nature of the snow blower repair and shrink wrapping services comments?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #84
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPenny View Post
An employee from WB in Gilford who was at our home over the weekend told us that the WB has either purchased or is renting/leasing the building behind Blue Canoe in Meredith and hopes to open in the next 2 months or so. I don't know for sure if it is true but it would be handy for some of us. I wonder if they will expand to the full service they now offer in Gilford. Lawn mowers,shrink wrapping etc. Has anyone been in the Gilford store recently and was anything mentioned?
Does this mean they are leaving Gilford (nooooooooooo) or opening a second store?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #85
DRH

Default Expanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life View Post
Does this mean they are leaving Gilford (nooooooooooo) or opening a second store?
Our understanding is that they are expanding the Gilford store into the adjacent space formerly leased by Gator Sign, which has relocated to another Gilford location.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #86
PennyPenny

Wink

Quote:
PennyPenny...
I assume you know the nature of the snow blower repair and shrink wrapping services comments?
Yes I do. I am well read and usually get a joke the first time!! My understanding is it will be a 2nd store. Seeing it would be behind a gas station/convience store perhaps they would offer carpooling along with the other specialty services they all ready do.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #87
Waterbaby

Talking We were just kidding.................

Quote:
PennyPenny...
I hope she does, and anyone else who read those posts did also-- I hate to think anyone goes there hoping to buy steak tips and get their lawn mower tuned up at the same time, lol! (Perhaps we better not mention Winni.com this summer to the owners? )
Old 04-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #88
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
Our understanding is that they are expanding the Gilford store into the adjacent space formerly leased by Gator Sign, which has relocated to another Gilford location.
Glad to hear that, I was getting worried. Having to live without nearby steak house tips or their marinated chicken breast or their jumbo Alaskan crab legs would be like being transported back into the Dark Ages.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:03 AM   #89
twoplustwo

Talking I'm in tears laughing here

Sam, you slay me. I'm thinking you should be voted in as master of ceremonies in M'Boro - town meeting would never be the same (thankfully!)

I have to ditto the kudos for WB; phenomenal meat, certainly worth the trip around the lake and even better now that my husband is working a job over yonder.

I wonder if they line those tofus up and make them run through the gauntlet to slaughter them? Poor little tofus.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #90
Irish mist

Default Shout-out !

Just a quick shout-out for the WB I was there yesterday to pick up some steak-tips. Excellent meats. Hope they are doing some decent business in these difficult times.
________
Chrysler Fifth Avenue History

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #91
angela4design

Default As far as I know...

The WB must be doing okay....

Plans to open another location in Meredith behind the Irving gas station at the beginning of Rt 25 are still intact... despite the new Hannaford opening as well. We all know the quality of the products, so I won't hesitate to visit! I'm glad they'll be closer!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #92
Smitty1

Default Wine'ing Butcher-Meredith

Hey Everyone

Great news! Wine'ing Butcher in Meredith should be open today!

The store is Beautiful and they have everything the Gilford store has and more:

Brick Oven Pizzas
Full Lunch and Dinner menus
Gourmet Market
Seafood-Meats-Produce-Bakery
Prepared Foods
Marinated Meats
Boars Head Delicatessen
Fine Wines and Specialty Beers

Its on Route 25 in Meredith behind the Irving Station

Take-Out: 603-279-6060

Info: 603-279-0300

Smitty1
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smitty1 For This Useful Post:
EricP (04-11-2009), robmac (04-11-2009), wifi (04-10-2009)
Old 04-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #93
DueSouth

It IS open this morning, and like Smitty says, the store looks beautiful - well stocked w/meats of course. I picked upsome lamb for Easter dinner. no over to Abondante's Bakery for some snacks ....
DueSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #94
nicole

My husband and I checked out the new Wineing Butcher yesterday. We frequent the Gilford store at least once a week and we were excited for the Meredith store to open.

They did a beautiful job-we chatted with the owners about the plans to soon offer take out for lunch and dinner-right now they only offer brick oven pizza. There will be a menu and you can call ahead for take out. In season they will be carrying locally grown produce from Picnic Rock Farms. They had great looking lasagna, chicken parm and other tasties in the case, in addition to the yummy steak tips, chicken wings etc. They have a bakery area with fresh bread, fruit tarts, cakes etc. They had a few mini aisles of grocery products, a nice wine selection and more!

We picked up our weekly Boar's Head coldcuts, some steak tips and chicken wings, a fresh hot loaf of French baguette-it was right out of the oven!, a nice fresh tomato. I actually practiced self-control and did not get the fruit tart-although it looked fabulous!

We were very pleased and the new store is great!

Nicole
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nicole For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (04-12-2009)