Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #201
Fishing

Smile Brunch

Then George you'll see me in a couple of weeks to have brunch!! Already hungry!
Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #202
Tir Na Nog

Default Recently There, Pretty Good

I have been following this thread from the beginning and was not a great fan of the Inn. I had two less than stellar experiences, once just before the change over with a very soggy fish sandwich and the late last summer where a group of us went. Then, I had the soup and salad bar and was very disappointed. However, me niece and her husband, who join us in Wolfeboro a couple p times a year, are fans of the Inn so I decided to give the Inn another try. I do not post often, but felt the Inn deserved some positive feedback from someon who has not been a fan. My son and I ate at the bar on Friday of Memorial Day Weekend. It was early and quiet, with people just starting to arrive as we were eating. With respect to the past comments about waiting to be seated and no one being at the hostess podium, clearly management had listened. While we we there, there always was at least one person, an often more, at the front. If one person was there and had to step away, one or more others came over to cover. As for service, I found th bar tender both friendly and responsive. As for the food, my son had a steak and was was good, with nice fresh sides. He is a steak snob and can cook a filet better than most upscale chop houses. He said his steak, although not perfect (could have been a better cut of meat such as what you can get at Mill Street Market, which is very good), was done to the right degree (a true medium rare) and was as goo as one would expect for the price. I had fish special (I believe it was Arctic Chard, but has been a fea weeks), which was fresh and nicely done. The menu indicated it was to be served with asparagus, but it was served over a fresh bed of green beans. When I brought this too the bartenders attention, she checked with th kitchen and came back stating that the asparagus was mixed in. I still did not see the asparagus, but the fish was too tasty to complain. A few minutes later, the chef cam out and apologized for he had realized that in plating the fish, he had forgotten the stuffing that contained the asparagus, which he brought to me. The stuffing added a nice touch and complemented what already was a nice dish very well. To make up for the error, the chef offered us free desert, which we took to go to enjoy later as we were full. I had a very nice cobbler served with a small scoop of ice cream (a little more ice cream would have been nice). I almost forgot the salad bar. My spe ail came with the salad bar. Having seen George's earlier comments about th paired down salad bar, I was not surprised to see just lettuce, tomatoes, and one or two other toppings. Clearly, it was not the old salad bar of many years ago, but I knew it would not be and what was there was a nice complement to the meal. Moreover, the salad bar area was clean and well kept. It was missing bread, but we got some at the bar. I am glad tonhear from George's last comment that a little more will be added to the salad bar. All and all, this was a good enough experience tonwarrant returning. As others have said, we are quite lucky in Wolfeboro having some incredible options for dining, but it does not hurt to have another.
Tir Na Nog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tir Na Nog For This Useful Post:
camp guy (06-15-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (06-15-2011), secondcurve (06-17-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #203
Barbara

Default George re "hearty appetizers"

First of all, I posted a comment a while back praising the food at an event I attended since the new chef arrived. There was a noticeable improvement in quality. I was excited to learn that he had been the chef at Thompson House Eatery. We have been making the trip to Jackson a few times a year for the last five years just to enjoy the wonderfully creative lunch menu at that restaurant. If your new chef was working there during that time period, I would love him to bring some of those wonderful lunch choices to the Inn.

As far as "hearty appetizers" go, that was how the food was promoted on the advertising for this event. The food served at the events run by this organization in the past has always been FABULOUS, and has always been provided by the same food service in the past. There was a scheduling issue this year that brought the organization to the Inn. You correctly named the items that were served, and except for the chicken, the comments made by myself and others and agreed upon by many more were that these items could have come directly from BJ's or Costco. Nothing looked or tasted homemade. They looked and tasted exactly like the stuff that comes in large quantities in the frozen food sections of the big box warehouse stores. As I've already stated, this was not just my opinion. Added to this is the fact that we were comparing to the wonderful food served at past events run by this organization and this time the food was hugely disappointing.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbara For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (06-17-2011)
Old 07-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #204
Fishing

Thumbs up brunch

Brunch was very good and everything was hot! The omelet station chef made eggs over easy for my hubby. We'll be back for sure
Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote