Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
LakeWinniMuseum

Default The Underwater History of Lake Winnipesaukee featuring Hans Hug

Hans Hug Jr. returns to the Lake Winnipesaukee Museum, Wednesday June 7th at 7pm, with his program, “The Underwater History of Lake Winnipesaukee.” His presentation will include videos of wrecks while diving in the big lake and other interesting artifacts from below the surface of the lake. Hans has been an avid diver for many years and it will be of great interest to anyone who enjoys the history of Lake Winnipesaukee.

Admission is free to LWHS members, for non-members there will be a $5.00 fee per person to attend the lecture. RSVP’s are required for this popular lecture as seating is limited. Please call 366-5950, or email info@lwhs.us to reserve your seats. We are located on Route 3, Weirs NH, next to Funspot.
LakeWinniMuseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:19 AM   #2
ApS

Arrow For Fanciers of Side-Scan...

Again stumbling onto a captivating video, this 45-minute underwater exploration of a different American lake system shows what can be done with a concentrated electronic search of lake bottoms. With its somewhat misleading title, this video displays an exhaustive computerized study where use of rovers, side-scan sonar, and divers are featured.

At 16:00 minutes, long stone lines left by early native Americans 7000 years ago are studied. Why were the stones left at such depths?

Our lake has nothing like this, as the earliest Americans hadn't left any obvious signs of exploitation until ~3000 years ago. (That we know of). The Lakes Region's runoff and silt have likely hidden features that would be useful in such studies.

Skipping to the end, another underwater feature displays the violence of storms found in our largest lakes. It's a familiar wreck—as you have never seen it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAo4qvP6o2E

Old 10-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default There are stone walls under water

At Cattle landing between Bear and the mainland, I saw good examples. I'm sure there are others as the lake was much lower until the dam was built in the mid 1800's by the Lowell Mills.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

Thanks for posting that it was outstanding. I had heard about this documentary it but as I have the bare minimum for TV/Cable by choice I never saw it.

I was on the boat at the end called the Northwestern in 2013 for side scan sonar training at the college they mention. One of the scientists told me that the invasive mussel problem is so bad they estimate the entire contents of Lake Michigan is filtered through them every 8 days.

The wreck images of the Edmund Fitzgerald reminded me of a similar wreck off Gloucester, MA that cracked in half during a bad storm in the late 1970's-the tanker Chester Poling and a favorite of divers as it sits in only 90 feet of water.
A side scan sonar image is attached that I took in 2015. The massive cloud to the right is a school of fish. This part of the wreck is 200 feet long +-. Zoom in for a better look.
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote