Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Senter Cove Guy

Default Aluminum Boat Found

An aluminum rowboat/motorboat (no motor) has been found in deep water in Lake Winnipesaukee. A picture of the bow number was taken but not close enough to capture the NH decal date. I know if I give the bow number to Marine Patrol that they will NOT give me any further info because the inquiry is "not a police matter" and I don't want to disclose the bow number here.

However, the orange decal is of some interest because it appears to have a 4 digit year number on it whereas Lake Winnipesaukee's decals normally have a 2 digit year. Also, notice that the decal is BEFORE the bow number, not after, AND the bow number has only one letter after the 4 digit bow number.

So...is this decal a NH ocean decal? What else might someone know about this?
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Kamper

I can't remember when they wised up to the missed revenue opportunity but NH (and several other states) didn't used to require registration of boats used on the ocean and a few didn't register at all. The Coast Guard filled that void for boaters who wanted to leave their state's waters. This might be a CG sticker on a boat that was visiting.

That's all I think I know about that...
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
SunsetPointWentworth

Before it was found unconstitutional. Marine patrol could just stop your boat and check all the safety devices. When they were done, if you passed you got a sticker put on your boat. It almost looks like one of those stickers. They looked just like registration stickers. Since you found this on the hull, I'm not sure. The safety inspection stickers were always put on the side of our windshield, by the MP.

Last edited by SunsetPointWentworth; 07-14-2013 at 05:11 PM.
SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
SunsetPointWentworth

This is the more recent sticker. I'm talking about late 1980's and early 1990's.
Attached Images

SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SunsetPointWentworth For This Useful Post:
trfour (07-14-2013)
Old 08-11-2021, 09:28 PM   #5
Senter Cove Guy

Default Dove It Today

I can't believe that it's been over 8 years since I first found out about this wreck from some friends of mine who accidently found it and I didn't dive it until today with Diver1111.

It's 71 feet deep and about 40 - 50 feet away from a mound that is only 39 feet deep. Very steep slope.

The orange decal in front of the bow numbers says United States Coast Guard and is dated 1982 so this aluminum boat appears to have been down there for awhile. There is a number 4 on the outside of the transom in the upper right hand corner so it appears to be one of several. I wonder if it perhaps belonged to a camp on the lake but then why would it have Coast Guard decals from 1982?