Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
LakeTimes

Default Other places to take 6-9 year olds snorkeling

Figured I'd post this just in case other's have ideas that I'm not thinking of. Will be having a couple kids up, age range 6-9 years old essentially, for about a week. I'm not new to the lake, been here for years and feel like I know it relatively well, then again I surprise myself every year with much I don't know about the lake/region which makes me love it even more!

I've got a few spots picked out where we can see a wreck or other exciting things from the surface while snorkeling (I am a certified diver, just haven't dove Lake Winnipesaukee yet and won't be this year or near future unfortunately ). Most wrecks are 20' or deeper which would make it impossible for them to see (We tried the one in Wolfeboro Bay last year that's in roughly 20' of water and they couldn't see it from the surface). Mind you they will all have life preservers on, so holding their breath and diving down even 5' won't be possible.

My goal is to have a small handful of fun excursions to take them to throughout the week (weather depending). Shipwrecks would of course maximize their excitement, but other cool things to see I can make 'almost' as exciting (I hope). I have, of course, read almost all the threads in the diving section, looked at every wreck Dive111 & Painthappy have contributed to (Thank you), scoured the internet etc. etc. trying to find other great places to take them. I've even privately sent a few PM's to a few folks on here guessing they want to keep things private vs sharing their cool spots with the world - which I completely understand - and they have been very helpful!!!

If anyone has any places they know or have heard about - I would GREATLY appreciate it if you posted here on the thread or would send me a private message.

Again, goal is to find a few cool new snorkeling places for a few young kids where they can see 'cool' things and grow up further appreciating this amazing Lake!

Places I've identified so far:
1 - Barge in Paugus Bay
2 - Some wreck off of Steamboat Island that I'm not sure where exactly it is, but need to find it before they come up (guessing North side as I've snorkeled and anchored several times on southern part of the island)
3 - Ragged Island as there are several rocks and could be some cool rock formations and marine life that they could get excited about

Just need a few more

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations you can provide. And again - please don't hesitate to Private Message (PM) me if you dont' want to post for general public. Thanks!
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:44 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Do a quick search, and you should find a post from me on this topic with good info. I'm in and out of service this week, but lemme know if you can't find it and I'll try to help.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
LakeTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Do a quick search, and you should find a post from me on this topic with good info. I'm in and out of service this week, but lemme know if you can't find it and I'll try to help.

Thanks thinkxingu - I went through several of your posts, but could not find it... You are relatively active on here and have a LOT of posts

They are coming up early July, so still have a few weeks left. Whenever you get back in the saddle and have service again, it would be much appreciated. Thank you
Old 06-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTimes View Post
Thanks thinkxingu - I went through several of your posts, but could not find it... You are relatively active on here and have a LOT of posts

They are coming up early July, so still have a few weeks left. Whenever you get back in the saddle and have service again, it would be much appreciated. Thank you
Using the Advanced Search feature for threads started by Thinkingx and the keyword Snorkeling yielded this.....

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ght=snorkeling
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTimes View Post

Here you go, friend. Turns out I've got better service than I thought out here!

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=20881

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
LakeTimes (06-23-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
camp guy

Default Places to take 6-9 year old kids

So, LakeTimes, do you have a Plan B if the weather doesn't cooperate for diving excursions, such as land-based activities?

Are you familiar with the Libby Museum in Wolfeboro, or the NH Boat Museum in Wolfeboro? The Wright Museum might be a little too much for the age group.

I took two grandchildren about that age on a ride around the Lake (by car) and when we got back home (Wolfeboro) their take on the trip was, "Boy, you don't have many stop lights up here!" They live in Brooklyn, NY.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #7
ApS

Thumbs up Snorkeling Off Parker Island...

Member Rattlesnake Gal was transfixed by glacier-marks on a huge bed of boulders at the NW corner of Parker Island. (In sight of Rattlesnake Island).

From what I could see from my boat, a calm, sunny day would maximize the experience.

See pictures here:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ead.php?t=5184
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
LakeTimes (06-23-2021), LIforrelaxin (06-22-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #8
LakeTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Here you go, friend. Turns out I've got better service than I thought out here!

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=20881

Thanks thinkxingu!!! Exactly what I was looking for! The kids, speaking from the future, say THANK YOU!
Old 06-23-2021, 10:32 AM   #9
LakeTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
So, LakeTimes, do you have a Plan B if the weather doesn't cooperate for diving excursions, such as land-based activities?

Are you familiar with the Libby Museum in Wolfeboro, or the NH Boat Museum in Wolfeboro? The Wright Museum might be a little too much for the age group.

I took two grandchildren about that age on a ride around the Lake (by car) and when we got back home (Wolfeboro) their take on the trip was, "Boy, you don't have many stop lights up here!" They live in Brooklyn, NY.
Thanks CampGuy. Great recommendations. Most everyone is from various spots throughout NH and a few from MA, but all are familiar with the Lake and many of what the surrounding areas offer (restaurants, hikes, places to see, etc.). We have done the Boat Museum but not the Libby Museum. Since our place isn't close to big enough to host the broader family, we actually rent a MUCH bigger house yearly where we can all spend a week together (immediate family, cousins, grandparents on several sides etc. etc.). It's the one week a year everyone in the family talks about and can't wait for. We all go over the top in planning 'for the kids' (we claim, but deep down it's really it's for us too although none of us would admit it ) and all the exciting planning that goes into it .

Thankfully, many come over to our place throughout the summer/year on weekends, but there is always only so much time on weekends and the lake is just a bit busier as we all know.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #10
LakeTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Member Rattlesnake Gal was transfixed by glacier-marks on a huge bed of boulders at the NW corner of Parker Island. (In sight of Rattlesnake Island).

From what I could see from my boat, a calm, sunny day would maximize the experience.

See pictures here:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ead.php?t=5184
Thansk Aps! This is great! I actually had North West corner of Parker on my list, but DID NOT come across this thread and all the details.

Thanks!

My goal is to also try and find a few other random spots where there could be something cool and post it on here for others to mark for their 'little guys and girls' - but will do that on my own time when everyone isn't up. Just another great excuse to send more time in the water
The Following User Says Thank You to LakeTimes For This Useful Post:
trfour (06-23-2021)