Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2020, 07:30 PM   #1
SailinAway

Default Grocery store cash register: The danger zone

Researchers agree that the grocery store is one of the highest-risk places for COVID-19, and that the area around the cash register is the riskiest place in the store.

One thing confuses me. In a space measuring about 6' x 6' you have the cashier, the customer, the cashier directly behind the customer, and 1 or 2 baggers. Sometimes there might also be someone training a new employee on the cash register. That's up to 6 people crowded into a tiny space. The space between you and the cashier behind you is literally two feet.

To make things worse, there may be a taped-off area on the floor in front of the cash register that says STAND HERE. No way am I going to stand in that tiny space! I stand 6 feet BACK from the cashier and approach briefly only to pay.

I'm not sure how stores came up with this nonsensical idea of forcing 6 people into a space that's only safe for ONE person.

Also note that research is now showing how little protection the plexiglass shield in front of the cashier offers.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
Mr. V

Shouldn't have a problem if everyone is masked up.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:38 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Same as the other one:
I don't give a rusty toot about this thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
jbolty (12-31-2020), Seaplane Pilot (01-01-2021), Top-Water (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 10:22 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Effective Friday, January 1, 2021, the minimum wage in the three neighboring states will be Vermont-$11.75, Maine-$12.15, and Massachusetts-$13.50 while the New Hampshire minimum remains unchanged at $7.25/hour. In Quebec it will be $13.10-U.S.

I don't know what the local NH dollar stores pay but it sure seems like a low wage store and a low requirement-mask wearing store are birds of a feather, that flock together!
Old 12-31-2020, 10:57 PM   #5
TheTimeTraveler

What's that giant sucking sound I hear as all those minimum wage folks leave New Hampshire for a job with a bordering state with far higher wages?

Think it was hard to find employees in 2019 and 2020... ?

Wait until 2021.

Happy New Year to all,
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2020, 11:44 PM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
What's that giant sucking sound I hear as all those minimum wage folks leave New Hampshire for a job with a bordering state with far higher wages?

Think it was hard to find employees in 2019 and 2020... ?

Wait until 2021.

Happy New Year to all,
The minimum wage has nothing to do with wages paid in this economy. Bob House was trying to hire a dishwasher for $14 for weeks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Biggd (01-01-2021), MRD (01-01-2021), tis (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 12:41 AM   #7
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Researchers agree that the grocery store is one of the highest-risk places for COVID-19, and that the area around the cash register is the riskiest place in the store.

One thing confuses me. In a space measuring about 6' x 6' you have the cashier, the customer, the cashier directly behind the customer, and 1 or 2 baggers. Sometimes there might also be someone training a new employee on the cash register. That's up to 6 people crowded into a tiny space. The space between you and the cashier behind you is literally two feet.

To make things worse, there may be a taped-off area on the floor in front of the cash register that says STAND HERE. No way am I going to stand in that tiny space! I stand 6 feet BACK from the cashier and approach briefly only to pay.

I'm not sure how stores came up with this nonsensical idea of forcing 6 people into a space that's only safe for ONE person.

Also note that research is now showing how little protection the plexiglass shield in front of the cashier offers.
I use Stop & Shop and scan my items as I put them in the cart. One click at the "Scanner checkout" and I'm out of there and I don't have to interact with anyone.

I also rarely ever use cash now and when I have I said keep the change

I also tend to go at hours that nobody else goes.

I use self check out at any other place that offers it, like home depot. This is how I've always shopped, no change.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:44 PM   #8
Waturfski

I get nervous using the card machine at registers because you know a ton of people have been touching it and I'm never sure how thoroughly or often they clean them. I doubt it's after every customer. That's part of the reason I keep my own sanitizer on hand when shopping for groceries.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:45 AM   #9
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waturfski View Post
I get nervous using the card machine at registers because you know a ton of people have been touching it and I'm never sure how thoroughly or often they clean them. I doubt it's after every customer. That's part of the reason I keep my own sanitizer on hand when shopping for groceries.
Be sure you use that Sanitizer on the gas pump key pad when you buy gas (assuming you don't pay cash).

Last edited by TheTimeTraveler; 02-17-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:05 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
The minimum wage has nothing to do with wages paid in this economy. Bob House was trying to hire a dishwasher for $14 for weeks.
Vita is exactly right, not many looking for jobs no matter the wage.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:24 AM   #11
Kamper

It's okay. Germs can't move sideways.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:30 AM   #12
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waturfski View Post
Apple Pay works at a huge number of places, and I think Google Pay (or whatever it's called) works at even more. This is not always obvious at every store--but you can ask clerk. Google for instructions on how to set up and use. You basically just need to hold your phone near the CC scanner.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #13
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

If your card has the symbol below on it you don't have to touch anything or even insert the card. Just tap the card on the CC terminal.

I've had trouble using Apple Pay at some locations and had to pull out my card. Tapping has always worked.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 09:59 AM   #14
tummyman

Have used Apple Pay at Heath's supermarket in Center Harbor, but if the order is over $25, they require you to sign the terminal with their pen that seems to have been used by everyone. Really makes no sense to have the signatures...it is just a store policy that needs to change. And it is not sanitized after any uses. If I go to Market Basket, I can use Apple Pay and with a bill way over $25 they don't require any signature. So what gives???????? Seems Heath's needs to reexamine their policy, as the credit cards companies seem to not require it. Found that most Irving gas stations also take Apple Pay, although they do not link their discount card to the device, so you will still need to make a swipe. We always use work gloves when handling the pumps.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:56 PM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
If your card has the symbol below on it you don't have to touch anything or even insert the card. Just tap the card on the CC terminal.

I've had trouble using Apple Pay at some locations and had to pull out my card. Tapping has always worked.

The trouble is so many stores don't take that yet.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:44 PM   #16
rick35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Be sure you use that Sanitizer on the gas pump key pad when you buy gas (assuming you don't pay cash).
I keep a box of nitrile gloves in our vehicles for pumping gas. It's as much to keep gas off my hands as it to protect against covid and other germs.