Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,459
Thanks: 726
Thanked 897 Times in 560 Posts
Default Boat show security

I don't remember security, metal detectors etc at previous shows, but they had one this morning and confiscated my pen knife. I'm not sure which boat they thought I could hijack. As a follow up, I went to South Station to take a bus north. No visible security whatsoever, except repeated PA announcements about no smoking and free 15 minute parking.
Leave your "weapons" in the car.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
Outdoorsman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 758
Thanks: 92
Thanked 185 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I don't remember security, metal detectors etc at previous shows, but they had one this morning and confiscated my pen knife. I'm not sure which boat they thought I could hijack. As a follow up, I went to South Station to take a bus north. No visible security whatsoever, except repeated PA announcements about no smoking and free 15 minute parking.
Leave your "weapons" in the car.
Did you bother to thank those keeping people safe?

This would not be the first (or second) time BOSTON was targeted by (others).
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 634
Thanked 478 Times in 283 Posts
Default

You might have made it out with a swim noodle...

OK, now that that's out of my system--how was the show? I live just a few miles away, but I've never been. Do sailboats have decent representation, or is it just power? Any recommendations for a noob? Thanks
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:32 PM   #4
Meredith AK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Beautiful Town of Meredith
Posts: 78
Thanks: 22
Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Default Boat show

Went with the better half today and spent about two hours dreaming of summer as we walked the floor. 300,000+ square feet of sparking brand new crafts. If you’ve never been , absolutely worth the trip for very short admission money. Or call Winnisquam Marine or Irwin’s and they’ll email you tickets for free if you ask nicely. Lots of choices for everyone.
Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meredith AK For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (02-08-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #5
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 448
Thanks: 161
Thanked 151 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I don't remember security, metal detectors etc at previous shows, but they had one this morning and confiscated my pen knife. I'm not sure which boat they thought I could hijack. As a follow up, I went to South Station to take a bus north. No visible security whatsoever, except repeated PA announcements about no smoking and free 15 minute parking.
Leave your "weapons" in the car.
Typical Government BS bureaucracy. No consistency, no common sense, no accountability. And to think that there are people out there that want Government to run "everything" for them... Really???
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-09-2020), Top-Water (02-09-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
Winilyme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ice in = CT / Ice out = Winnipesaukee
Posts: 201
Thanks: 54
Thanked 142 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Regarding the boat show and from a straight-up business standpoint, I think the security has everything to do with the sponsors wanting to invest in precautions to avoid an incident that could negatively impact their brand. Sad that the world has come to this but as a frequent traveler, I see more and more of this over-clubbing - especially in the big cities. Fact is, with 31 mass shootings thus far in 2020 (not all with deaths but some with many) it's not a question of will there be another incident but where. Personally, with all the nut cases today, I don't have a problem with the added security. A little inconvenience is worth the extra safety in my book. By the way, they did have the security when I attended last year.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-10-2020), FlyingScot (02-09-2020), thinkxingu (02-09-2020), we're golden (02-11-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 634
Thanked 478 Times in 283 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Typical Government BS bureaucracy. No consistency, no common sense, no accountability. And to think that there are people out there that want Government to run "everything" for them... Really???
I think I understand why you don't like the government, but I don't understand why you assume the government has anything to do with boat show security. I was there today--all the security is private, I didn't see even one police officer. As Wini points out, the boat show itself is worried about a kook with a gun.

Thanks again to those who encouraged me to attend--it was great fun and also informative. Definitely a must for anyone pondering a boat without a firm brand preference
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-10-2020), Meredith AK (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 04:15 PM   #8
chipj29
Senior Member
 
chipj29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bow
Posts: 1,873
Thanks: 514
Thanked 308 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Typical Government BS bureaucracy. No consistency, no common sense, no accountability. And to think that there are people out there that want Government to run "everything" for them... Really???
I’m no expert, but I’m reasonably sure the boat show was not put on by the government.
__________________
Getting ready for winter!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chipj29 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-10-2020), thinkxingu (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #9
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 448
Thanks: 161
Thanked 151 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I’m no expert, but I’m reasonably sure the boat show was not put on by the government.
I"m no expert either, but I'd bet a week's pay that Mayor Walsh had some sort of impact on the security of the boat show. Nothing happens in that city without the Mayor's knowledge, and or input to some degree. Every square inch of that **** city is controlled by Beacon Hill in one form or another.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
macbeth (02-10-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #10
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,459
Thanks: 726
Thanked 897 Times in 560 Posts
Default Bos ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
I"m no expert either, but I'd bet a week's pay that Mayor Walsh had some sort of impact on the security of the boat show. Nothing happens in that city without the Mayor's knowledge, and or input to some degree. Every square inch of that **** city is controlled by Beacon Hill in one form or another.
I can't disagree, but I think this was a private company decision/process,. I just thought it was overkill for the situation.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #11
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 634
Thanked 478 Times in 283 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
I"m no expert either, but I'd bet a week's pay that Mayor Walsh had some sort of impact on the security of the boat show. Nothing happens in that city without the Mayor's knowledge, and or input to some degree. Every square inch of that **** city is controlled by Beacon Hill in one form or another.
I disagree here too, but it's funny that you choose the boat show in the Seaport to criticize government as having too much control. Come to the boat show and take a walk around the neighborhood--what was a wasteland of parking lots is now a booming center of businesses, restaurants, hotels, etc. As a lifelong resident, it's astounding.

After your visit, I hope you'll let us know if you still think the Seaport is controlled by the nanny state; or by private enterprise, or a pretty good mix of both
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-10-2020), chipj29 (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #12
iw8surf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 180
Thanks: 12
Thanked 89 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I disagree here too, but it's funny that you choose the boat show in the Seaport to criticize government as having too much control. Come to the boat show and take a walk around the neighborhood--what was a wasteland of parking lots is now a booming center of businesses, restaurants, hotels, etc. As a lifelong resident, it's astounding.

After your visit, I hope you'll let us know if you still think the Seaport is controlled by the nanny state; or by private enterprise, or a pretty good mix of both
The seaports expansion is directly related to tech. All the companies moving into the Seaport (Vertex, Amazon, Session M, Chewy, etc) and attracting talent from the surrounding schools and areas.

IMO Marty Walsh actually just hurts the seaport by forcing affordable income housing in buildings which the minimal rent is 2500$ for a studio apartment. I support affordable housing in which people should have access to safe and reasonable housing, but I disagree with giving those people "Luxury Living" on the taxpayers dime. Where the state is now getting involved, again IMO is 5 years too late, they waited until the entire area was built up before putting forth any thought for additional police, fire or school systems for all the additional condos and apartments they added.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #13
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,087
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 226
Thanked 661 Times in 485 Posts
Default

Last time going to Boston, I got approached by an MBTA police officer inside Park St Station who sees me walking towards the trolley while carrying a tennis racket under my arm. He says: Hey bud, what's your racket? So, I tell him I just got off the bus from Plymouth NH at North Station, and started telling him about my 93-year old mother and her Buick LeSabre with just 8000-miles on it, and the tennis courts out the Green Line in Waban. So, he says; so, how's everything in beautiful New Hampshire, and I say; it's a lot easier place to find a parking spot than here in Boston, and he says; ain't that the truth, buddy, and welcome to the City of Boston! ........
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #14
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,713
Thanks: 1,214
Thanked 771 Times in 475 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Typical Government BS bureaucracy. No consistency, no common sense, no accountability. And to think that there are people out there that want Government to run "everything" for them... Really???
I don't think the boat show is run by the government but I'm sure you were just trying to get the political plug in there.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 10:47 AM   #15
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,713
Thanks: 1,214
Thanked 771 Times in 475 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Last time going to Boston, I got approached by an MBTA police officer inside Park St Station who sees me walking towards the trolley while carrying a tennis racket under my arm. He says: Hey bud, what's your racket? So, I tell him I just got off the bus from Plymouth NH at North Station, and started telling him about my 93-year old mother and her Buick LeSabre with just 8000-miles on it, and the tennis courts out the Green Line in Waban. So, he says; so, how's everything in beautiful New Hampshire, and I say; it's a lot easier place to find a parking spot than here in Boston, and he says; ain't that the truth, buddy, and welcome to the City of Boston! ........
Ancient history!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #16
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 634
Thanked 478 Times in 283 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
The seaports expansion is directly related to tech. All the companies moving into the Seaport (Vertex, Amazon, Session M, Chewy, etc) and attracting talent from the surrounding schools and areas.

IMO Marty Walsh actually just hurts the seaport by forcing affordable income housing in buildings which the minimal rent is 2500$ for a studio apartment. I support affordable housing in which people should have access to safe and reasonable housing, but I disagree with giving those people "Luxury Living" on the taxpayers dime. Where the state is now getting involved, again IMO is 5 years too late, they waited until the entire area was built up before putting forth any thought for additional police, fire or school systems for all the additional condos and apartments they added.
Yes, tech is driving the Seaport, and also Kendall Square, across the river in the People's Republic--amazing how those "over-regulated" areas are outpacing virtually everyplace else in the country for growth.

I agree that affordable housing should probably be focused on less expensive land. But the taxpayer does not pay for this difference--the city forces the landowner to set aside affordable units in good nanny state style. So it's the landowner paying.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-10-2020), MBNeckguy (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #17
MeredithMan
Senior Member
 
MeredithMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bedford, NH; Meredith, NH
Posts: 529
Thanks: 162
Thanked 510 Times in 185 Posts
Default

Aside from people going off on a political tangent, what's the real issue here? Anyone been to BankNH Pavillion to see a concert lately? You have to go through metal detectors and bag searches there. Same with going to a Red Sox game or a Pats game. I don't hear anyone complaining about that...

With all the mental cases out there who are looking for attention by shooting up / blowing up a large crowd at a public venue, I, personally, have no issue with the added security, and I also don't really care if it is required by the local town/city government or by the owner of the venue. It's unfortunate that when we go to an event now we have to think, "how would I get outta here if someone starts shooting..", but that's the world we're in.

And in a Civics Public Service Announcement, "Beacon Hill" is where the Mass State House is and where State Government is run. Boston City Government is done at City Hall, and that is not on Beacon Hill, it's at City Hall Plaza.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #18
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,087
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 226
Thanked 661 Times in 485 Posts
Default ..... Parkman House on Beacon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Boston City Government is done at City Hall, and that is not on Beacon Hill, it's at City Hall Plaza.
So, what do Boston Mayor's Curley, Hynes, Collins, White, Flynn, Menino and Walsh all have in common? Using the city owned Frances Parkman House that's on Beacon St just below the State House on Beacon Hill for private meetings away from all the prying eyes over at City Hall.

"Will meet you at the Parkman House, and best to use the rear entrance on Chestnut St so's you don't get seen ........ understand! ..... "
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #19
iw8surf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 180
Thanks: 12
Thanked 89 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Yes, tech is driving the Seaport, and also Kendall Square, across the river in the People's Republic--amazing how those "over-regulated" areas are outpacing virtually everyplace else in the country for growth.

I agree that affordable housing should probably be focused on less expensive land. But the taxpayer does not pay for this difference--the city forces the landowner to set aside affordable units in good nanny state style. So it's the landowner paying.
It actually depends on what classification the housing is 40B etc.... I have lived in I think 3 buildings where, what happens is the other tenants of the buildings rent is increased so the affordable housing folks can live there for 400$ per month. The landlord is never going to eat the cost. I lived in a apartment in the seaport 4 years ago and my neighbor use to boast about how he paid 550$ per month to live there, his apartment smelt like trash, he never worked, listened to loud music 24/7 and we couldn't wait to move out.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 05:35 AM   #20
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 448
Thanks: 161
Thanked 151 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I disagree here too, but it's funny that you choose the boat show in the Seaport to criticize government as having too much control. Come to the boat show and take a walk around the neighborhood--what was a wasteland of parking lots is now a booming center of businesses, restaurants, hotels, etc. As a lifelong resident, it's astounding.

After your visit, I hope you'll let us know if you still think the Seaport is controlled by the nanny state; or by private enterprise, or a pretty good mix of both
I wasn't just talking about the boat show alone, the OP also compared it to the lack of security at South Station. Who is in charge of security at South Station??? I understand the "boat show" is not "run" by the govt, just trying to expose the difference between the two.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
Descant (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 08:13 AM   #21
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,575
Thanks: 222
Thanked 1,285 Times in 447 Posts
Default

Seems like gun free zones are always the targets of these crazy incidents over the years.
There have been many incidents, including the church shooting in Texas, where a concealed carry permit holder stopped a gunman on a rampage.
I remember the testimony of a off duty police officer who was at the night club shooting in Florida telling how he had to leave his side arm in the car because the club was "gun free" and then was helpless to stop the shooter.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #22
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,713
Thanks: 1,214
Thanked 771 Times in 475 Posts
Default

Maybe we should just bring back the wild, wild, west and have old fashion shoot outs in the street to settle our differences. Free guns to everyone!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #23
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 634
Thanked 478 Times in 283 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
I wasn't just talking about the boat show alone, the OP also compared it to the lack of security at South Station. Who is in charge of security at South Station??? I understand the "boat show" is not "run" by the govt, just trying to expose the difference between the two.
Then I'm still confused, just in a different way--are you saying there should be more security at South Station? But either way that seems like a completely different matter than the boat show's decisions on private security
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #24
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,459
Thanks: 726
Thanked 897 Times in 560 Posts
Default Risk?

The original post was surprise at confiscating a pen knife. I understand that simple "weapons" can be used to create havoc with a bus or airplane. Not so much a boat show. Others have their own prejudices and leapt to guns, which had nothing to do with the intended discussion. Same with gov't vs. private. It was simply the irony of the pen knife, (overkill) vs no visible security at all, and to point out that visitors should leave their knife or whatever, in the car.

Last edited by Descant; 02-11-2020 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added last sentence
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 05:12 PM   #25
tbonies
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Anchorage, Al
Posts: 123
Thanks: 33
Thanked 66 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
I"m no expert either, but I'd bet a week's pay that Mayor Walsh had some sort of impact on the security of the boat show. Nothing happens in that city without the Mayor's knowledge, and or input to some degree. Every square inch of that **** city is controlled by Beacon Hill in one form or another.
You sound lonely.
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tbonies For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #26
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 5,162
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,916
Thanked 1,685 Times in 935 Posts
Default Back to the boat show...

Back to the boat show itself. Wifey and I went in today. Took the bus in from Concord to South Station. Took the T to north Station and went to Fours for lunch (Bruins game tonight, Fours would be a zoo. ) . Then took the T to the boat show.

Having left my pen knife at home, security was a breeze. Security is located right at the Summer St entrance. Through the detectors and the entrance is right in front of you. Down the stairs, hand in your ticket, and we were off and running. One of the last boats we looked at were the Axopars. Made in Finland. Sleek looking, step hull. No, not in the market, but enjoy browsing.

Overall, I think the whole setup of the show was very good.

Dave
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to upthesaukee For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-13-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:51 PM   #27
dickiej
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: White Salmon, WA
Posts: 182
Thanks: 8
Thanked 105 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Trade shows in Boston are 100% controlled by the union. It would be their decision to have whatever level of security they feel is necessary. What's the big deal anyway? Don't you want to be safe?
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-13-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #28
dickiej
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: White Salmon, WA
Posts: 182
Thanks: 8
Thanked 105 Times in 54 Posts
Default

By the way, I live in Portland, OR now and currently there is a loony SOB who is on trial for killing two marines on the metro by stabbing them in the jugular vein with a pen knife. They both bled to death before they could get to the hospital.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #29
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 2,286
Thanks: 1,520
Thanked 747 Times in 446 Posts
Default

My wife and I went yesterday (I hate going to ANY city) but the drive in was uneventful and the boats were gorgeous! Security was easy-peasy (left my weapons at home) and the marina we use had “will call” tickets waiting for us.
Not crowded at all on a Wednesday (quite slow, actually)
Drooled heavily over some of the “pilot house” and other “cuddy” boats geared for fishing like the Eastern and the Parker...which my wife and I are leaning towards switching from a Tritoon to. Will probably try to search for something a few years older that has taken the depreciation hit though.
Boats are EXPENSIVE!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:15 AM   #30
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,713
Thanks: 1,214
Thanked 771 Times in 475 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
My wife and I went yesterday (I hate going to ANY city) but the drive in was uneventful and the boats were gorgeous! Security was easy-peasy (left my weapons at home) and the marina we use had “will call” tickets waiting for us.
Not crowded at all on a Wednesday (quite slow, actually)
Drooled heavily over some of the “pilot house” and other “cuddy” boats geared for fishing like the Eastern and the Parker...which my wife and I are leaning towards switching from a Tritoon to. Will probably try to search for something a few years older that has taken the depreciation hit though.
Boats are EXPENSIVE!
This is probably the best month to go into Boston. Everyone has gone on vacation.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #31
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,459
Thanks: 726
Thanked 897 Times in 560 Posts
Default Expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
. Boats are EXPENSIVE!
The Miami show starts in a couple of days. Comparatively, the Boston show is pretty small. If you check out some of the in water boats at the Miami show, the boats in Boston suddenly seem pretty reasonable. However, I agree about depreciation. Bought lots of boats, always used. Same with cars.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #32
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,814
Thanks: 974
Thanked 1,167 Times in 708 Posts
Default

I was gonna head to the boat show today or tomorrow, but I'm sick. I've only ever been to one boat show—does anyone know what the jetski selection will be at the NH one vs. Boston? If I need to head in tomorrow to be able to sit on a few different machines, I will, but if NH will have most of what I'd be looking for, I'll wait.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:37 PM   #33
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,459
Thanks: 726
Thanked 897 Times in 560 Posts
Default Ouch

That's rough. We all know how you've been waiting anxiously for this show. Hope you feel better Sunday.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:27 PM   #34
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 519
Thanks: 649
Thanked 226 Times in 141 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I was gonna head to the boat show today or tomorrow, but I'm sick. I've only ever been to one boat show—does anyone know what the jetski selection will be at the NH one vs. Boston? If I need to head in tomorrow to be able to sit on a few different machines, I will, but if NH will have most of what I'd be looking for, I'll wait.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Dasilva is listed as being there with Seadoo and Yamaha. Go to the Northeast Spring Boat Show website for more. Feel better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:34 PM   #35
Winilyme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ice in = CT / Ice out = Winnipesaukee
Posts: 201
Thanks: 54
Thanked 142 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I was gonna head to the boat show today or tomorrow, but I'm sick. I've only ever been to one boat show—does anyone know what the jetski selection will be at the NH one vs. Boston? If I need to head in tomorrow to be able to sit on a few different machines, I will, but if NH will have most of what I'd be looking for, I'll wait.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Seems to me you were settling on one of two or three machines. If you can't get to the show, reach out to HK or Irwins to find out when they'll begin stocking their floors. If it's SeaDoo or Yamaha, they'll work with you to bring in whatever you are most interested in.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #36
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,087
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 226
Thanked 661 Times in 485 Posts
Default

Laconia, Meredith, Center Harbor, Moultonborough, Tuftonboro, Wolfeboro, Alton, Belmont, Holderness, & Ashland, all lakes region towns in New Hampshire; you can spend a half day in each town, visiting local marinas to look at all their boats, the lakes region is like a permanent boat and jetski show without the Boston parking, driving and security hassles.

Best to visit your local lakes region boat dealer in the off-season and avoid the unbelievably bad, crawl and stall traffic issues in Boston. Boston is a traffic nightmare.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #37
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 634
Thanked 478 Times in 283 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I was gonna head to the boat show today or tomorrow, but I'm sick. I've only ever been to one boat show—does anyone know what the jetski selection will be at the NH one vs. Boston? If I need to head in tomorrow to be able to sit on a few different machines, I will, but if NH will have most of what I'd be looking for, I'll wait.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I was not looking at jet skis, but it seemed as though there were a lot there. The show website has exhibiting brand and dealer lists. Get well soon!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:34 PM   #38
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,814
Thanks: 974
Thanked 1,167 Times in 708 Posts
Default

Thanks for the well-wishes, friends. It's not looking like tomorrow will work out, either, so I called DaSilva's—I'm going to be ordering from them—and they'll have the Sea-Doo and Yamaha models I'm looking for at the NH show. Since the dealer is as important to me as brand, it needs to be one of those two.
If I'm sick for that one, I'm just ordering a GTX!

Most disappointing is that I had a breakfast plan (In a Pickle) and Bentley tour with a former student to start the day!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #39
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,087
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 226
Thanked 661 Times in 485 Posts
Default

Before you put any money down with DaSilva in Moultonborough, it's definitely smart to shop it around. What to do is get a printed estimate from DeSilva on the model you want, and then take their estimate over to Irwin in Alton Bay or up the steep hill towards Rt 28 going from Alton to Wolfeboro. Irwin has all their Sea Doo jetskis at their two Alton locations.

It definitely pays to shop it around and show up at Irwin with a printed estimate from DaSilva, and let them make a counter offer, or come up with something else, similar or something.

And make sure that DaSilva understands you will be taking their printed estimate over to Irwin in Alton, before DaSilva prints it up.

Getting a printed price estimate is easy-peasy, and only takes like two minutes.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:17 PM   #40
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,814
Thanks: 974
Thanked 1,167 Times in 708 Posts
Default

FLL, when I got the quote from DaSilva's, it was presented as, "this is our price—we may not be the cheapest, but we're always competitive." It appears to be a few hundred less than what dealers are advertising and they were clear that they include the "right" accessories: galvanized, rather than painted, trailer; Sea-Doo brand cover, which is by all accounts much better than aftermarket; custom bow numbers, etc. They also said they could offer me a discount on any accessories I order as well—that may allow me to get a better PFD than I might otherwise buy, etc.

Also, I'm a big fan of service and relationships with where I buy my gear. With such a short season, whatever I might "overpay" would be made up with one quick service/return to the water.

Finally, I know some here are snarky with the amount of research (and related threads) I conduct when buying new things but, outside of actually enjoying the process, it allows me to not have to worry about a couple hundred bucks one way or the other if it means a positive experience.

From everything I've heard and read, DaSilva's is a good place to work with, so I'll support them in what (I hope) will be a fine relationship.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 08:55 PM   #41
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,087
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 226
Thanked 661 Times in 485 Posts
Default

Competition is what makes America great ....it always pays to shop it around with a printed price estimate for any item that costs $200, or more. ...
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:22 PM   #42
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,814
Thanks: 974
Thanked 1,167 Times in 708 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Competition is what makes America great ....it always pays to shop it around with a printed price estimate for any item that costs $200, or more. ...
It's also that drive that has led to Mom and Pop shops going out of business in favor of Amazon and Walmart.

I'd give an arm to have small outdoor shops again, fewer chain restaurants, the ability to actually see what I'm buying and try it on...

I'll gladly pay a couple extra bucks to support this ethos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (02-17-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #43
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,087
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 226
Thanked 661 Times in 485 Posts
Default

We are talking about buying a jetski in the lakes region ..... does Amazon or Walmart sell jetskis and compete with local jetski dealers?
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:33 PM   #44
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,814
Thanks: 974
Thanked 1,167 Times in 708 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
We are talking about buying a jetski in the lakes region ..... does Amazon or Walmart sell jetskis and compete with local jetski dealers?
No, but it's the philosophy. If everyone bought solely on price, a place like DaSilva's might not be able to compete with Irwin or HK, etc.

I believe in supporting good service and what's good for my community. Having access to both those things, within a mile of my camp, is worth a few extra bucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:26 AM   #45
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 5,025
Thanks: 1,404
Thanked 589 Times in 413 Posts
Question Open Top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Thanks for the well-wishes, friends. It's not looking like tomorrow will work out, either, so I called DaSilva's—I'm going to be ordering from them—and they'll have the Sea-Doo and Yamaha models I'm looking for at the NH show. Since the dealer is as important to me as brand, it needs to be one of those two.
If I'm sick for that one, I'm just ordering a GTX!

Most disappointing is that I had a breakfast plan (In a Pickle) and Bentley tour with a former student to start the day!
What's a Bentley tour?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:48 AM   #46
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,814
Thanks: 974
Thanked 1,167 Times in 708 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
What's a Bentley tour?
Bentley University. In a Pickle, just down the road, is supposed to be awesome: https://patch.com/massachusetts/walt...rive-ins-dives

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:43 AM   #47
swnoel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 347
Thanks: 54
Thanked 113 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
It's also that drive that has led to Mom and Pop shops going out of business in favor of Amazon and Walmart.

I'd give an arm to have small outdoor shops again, fewer chain restaurants, the ability to actually see what I'm buying and try it on...

I'll gladly pay a couple extra bucks to support this ethos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
It's called capitalism... the freedom to buy from whom you chose.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (02-16-2020)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.30916 seconds