Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2005, 08:44 AM   #101
Cal

This same story transpired in New Jersey last year after a high ranking money man bought a mega mansion on the water at the Jersey shore. He didn't like the noise...so he pulled some strings and had a SL bill introduced for ALL TIDAL WATERS. This meant the entire ICW for the length of NJ plus rivers feeding it. There are NWZ's but nowhere is there 150' rule. The facts were presented calmly , orderly and precisely. The ruling was a couple more NWZ (with one in front of his house of course).
Maryland also has crowded inland (tidal) waters. They put a bandaid on the problem by making some particularly busy areas NO WAKES on Sat.Sun and Holidays. So Tuesday morning when there is three other boats nearby you can buzz though these areas at any speed. Sat/Sun /Hol's when it's crowded , like Weirs Beach area , it's all NO WAKE. Certainly makes sense since these are also large "rafting" areas.
This probably wouldn't work in NH since all of these posts have been totally one sided(me,me,me) and we all know who you are , don't we???

Last edited by Cal; 05-03-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:44 AM   #102
Islander

ITD

Before you suggest in a public forum that someone is a criminal perhaps you should call the town clerks office in Meredith. I already checked with them before registering.

I'll give you the basic info so you will know what to ask. In NH about 5 months a year, Massachusetts about 4 months, Florida 2 months and about 1 month out of the country.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #103
Great Idea

Default Unbelievable.....

Woodsy,

" Holes" in my story? Perhaps you need to look at some of the data regarding collisions at various speeds? Would you rather the reckless driver hit you at 45 or 65? Considering your chances of survival and the significantly higher odds of the offender avoiding the collision altogether, your chances of living are greater at 45. You don't see the benefit of slower speeds??? Yikes..... fairly obvious regarding improved safety. And before you go off on the "can't enforce it" bit perhaps you should consider the fact that while reckless operation is extremely subjective and hard to measure or agree as to what is reckless a speedometer is rather objective. A speed limit is far more likely to have an impact on behaviors than a law that doesn't define "reckless". Looking down at one's speedo and seeing the speed will slow many boaters down. The 150ft rule isn't easily measured, speed IS. While many will still violate the speed limit the occurances of speeding would drop dramatically. Why the need for that? To LOWER the odds of fatalities. Worth the price to slow down? I would think so.
As for the suggestion that all of us who support a speed limit "hate" Go Fasts??? Obviously your not reading all the posts? I LOVE Go Fast boats and all things speed. I operate a large such boat often OFF SHORE where it belongs. Once you do that the "excitement" of speeding on Winni dies quick. (Chase1, we don't agree on the "pretty Chase" part of my post). Also the suggestion by the last poster that pro speed limit folks want an accident to push the cause????? Thats pretty sick..... I'd say that proposing a speed limit is an attempt to prevent such an accident from ever happening. A speed limit will lower the odds. Will reckless accidents and perhaps deaths still happen as Codeman suggests after the speed limit is in place? Yes... however reducing the number of speeding boats will reduce the odds and the number of accidents. Perhaps those who want to speed should consider this.... are they really willing to tradc someone's life for their "right" to speed. Kinda selfish maybe?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:05 AM   #104
ITD

Islander,

I didn't call you a criminal, but I think what you claim to do is not right even if by some reason it is legal. I think voting in two different areas because it suits you is not right. Most people will get an absentee ballot if they are out of their home area during an election. Looks to me like you should be voting in NH, maybe you should call the clerk in the OTHER town that you vote for an opinion. Anyhow, best of luck in however you vote.

My fascination with this SL thing is the many arguements for the limit. I can easily deal with the arguement: We don't like GFBL boats and want them gone. That to me is an honest reason for a SL although I don't think a speed limit will produce the desired result. When I see the hysteria comments such as: speed (above 45mph) is killing or causing most accidents, I look and see that is just not true. Other reasons stated are wakes, noise and so on. Problems which will not be solved by a speed limit.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:01 PM   #105
Jan

On my street we were concerned about cars speeding through. We got the town to lower the speed limit and post Slow signs to PREVENT anything horrible from happening. According to some of you, just the threat of problems was not enough. Our children needed to be hit first before anything was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
...all of these posts have been totally one sided(me,me,me)
It is sad that those against speed limits only think of themselves.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2005, 12:26 PM   #106
lake4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
It is sad that those against speed limits only think of themselves.
Yes, and how dare people oppose warrant-less wiretaps. Such selfishness in putting ones personal freedom over the security of the nation!

The gas prices will curb the 100mph, triple-V8, GFBL boats. Chill. We just got the boating license thing enacted.. give it a chance to produce some results.

I think that keeping the lake safe and enjoyable for the majority is paramount. However, I think that throwing legislation at it is a knee-jerk reaction to a problem that is more complicated. Something like more NWZs would be much more practical, as they are far easier to enforce and they are already part of the lake institution. I don't think more bureaucracy is the answer to the problem. I wish that when people came to this state, they would abide by the most recognizable symbol of the state, our motto: Live Free or Die. Learn it, live it.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:26 PM   #107
Great Idea

Default Jan gets it, Lake4life?????......

Prevention is key and the goal..... wiretaps??? What does that have to do with boats hurdling around a crowded lake at 90 plus. If only the live free or die really meant that...... often times it means " live free or die taking a few folks with me as a consequence of my selfish acts"...... Are we really "free" when we all as tax payers end up "paying" for this "freedom"? examples ...... no seat belt law, no helmet law and soon we will "pay" for no speed limit on Winni..... who do you think ultimately "pays" all the outrageous medical bills/court costs that are incurred not to mention the emotional toll on the family's when these freedom lovin folks bounce off a tree????? I wish it was that easy lake4life. Unfortunately often trying to protect the few idiots from themselves and utimately protecting the general public requires laws restricting the majority, an unfair yet neccessary result. Common sense would be preferrable yet unfortunately in very short supply.

Last edited by Great Idea; 05-03-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #108
PROPELLER

Default Gross Exaggeration

Gross exaggeration of the alleged problems on Winnipesaukee are the biggest beef I have with some of the posts on this forum.

Great Idea says the lake is crowded when in fact it is only crowded in 2-3 areas on weekends probably between 11am-3pm. The rest of the time & the rest of the lake are wide open. Apparently many of the posters have not boated in other areas of the lake or other areas beyond Winnipesaukee.

Great Idea says boats are hurdling around the lake at 90 plus when in fact the the vast majority of high performance boats on Winnipesaukee are traveling between 50-60 mph. See Cals post previously where he says his most efficient speed is 50 mph. Unless you do something custom to some of these boats I don't think the Formulas, Bajas or Fountains being sold on this lake are capable of speeds beyond 70-75 WOT & 90% of the time they are not WOT. I took a ride on 38' Sonic in Ft. Lauderdale last year operated by a former professional racer. When I asked him how fast the boat would go on its best day in the best conditions he answered 70 mph tops.

You can be passionate about what you believe, I respect that. But lets stop the gross exaggerations being used to try & prove a point or support a viewpoint.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:50 PM   #109
lake4life

First off, the discussion is a law limiting the speed to 45 mph, not "90 plus." A lot of boats on the lake are capable of exceeding that and do not have speedometers.

As I stated before in a previous post, a speed limit only goes after a symptom, not the problem. The problem is reckless and oblivious boat operators. If I am riding down the broads on my Sea Doo at 60 mph, I am being neither reckless nor oblivious. The means to protect people should be from better use of the ideas already in place. A NWZ near busy areas like the island choke-point near the Weirs would actually make the lake safer.

If the cost of "paying" for this freedom is so great, why hasn't anyone brought up any facts or figures? As if there were hundreds of people dying on the lake every year.... please. By that logic, we should outlaw all motorcycles. Doesn't the public pay when someone messes themselves up on a machine that is known to be much more dangerous than a car, even if the accident wasn't their fault? Sorry, I think there's only so much we can do to protect people from themselves.

Where do you think the cost of paying for enforcement will come from? The cost of the equipment, training, etc. Would that money be better used just putting more marine patrol on the lake to catch the reckless idiots already out there?

Yes, there are idiots on the lake, but I think it's a mistake to rushing into a broadbase law without considering the much more viable alternatives.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:32 PM   #110
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs down WinnFABS has gone off the edge...

I have just received the propaganda mailing from WinnFABS in the mail. Interesting it was postmarked from "Suburban Maryland"...They got my name from the Long Island Land Owner's Association. I also know first hand that they have approached several, if not all, of the yacht clubs, condos and other organizations on the lake looking for endorsements for their speed limit efforts. This mailing is the biggest bunch of rubbish I have ever seen and they should be ashamed to have sent it. If I ever doubted my position on this issue (which I have not - I'm against it), this mailing would have rapidly pushed me to the other side. Referencing the Littlefield collision of what is happening to the lake is totally outrageous. Excessive speed was not even an issue in this case, yet they refer to this in an effort to support a speed limit.

One thing I have not seen referenced too much in these posts is the existing Boater Education Certificate requirement. This was passed into law and requires an operator to learn the boating rules and laws as they now exist. The biggest violation I have seen on the lake by far is the 150' rule. Out of everything taught in the class, this seems to be the easiest to remember and abide by on the lake, yet it's the most violated. I've been on the lake a lot of years and it's not violated most often by go-fast boats, but rather seems to be most violated by personal watercraft and family bowrider operators with 5 kids, 3 dogs, and a tube strapped to the back of the boat. Some of these people really don't have a clue as to the rules or where they are going. I mean no offense to anyone, but again, I call it as I see it. Do some of the go-fast boats violate the rules? Yes, of course. But the arguments of "safety" made by WinnFABS don't just apply to the go-fast boats. A speed limit is NOT the answer and I will do my part to fight this. Enforce the laws as they now exist, don't write new laws thinking that they'll solve the problem - they won't.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #111
Great Idea

Default Ok.......

Propeller,

I will remind you of my "gross exaggeration" again when one of the 4 or 5 large Formula/Fountains/Donzi's or Cig's that race up and down the lake every weekend hit someone or one another at high speed....... Remember , its not a question of if but when. There are quite a few boats on Winni that will do 90 and even some that will exceed 100 to 110. You need to be out our way on Saturday or Sunday. On another note I have nothing to do with WinnFabs are whatever it is. My position comes from experience with large power boats and contact with those that make/race large power boats.
Many of them feel as I do that these boats on Winni are silly. As for the arguement regarding the unfortunate accident in Merrideth applying to speed limits? Perhaps it does relate directly to the issue since that type of 36ft Baja would most likely never have been on the lake if a speed limit had existed..... chew on that. The very nature of the poor visibility in these boats due to the bow being high in the water and obstructing the drivers vision while bringing the boat on plane is a BIG reason as to why they don't belong on a congested lake.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:01 PM   #112
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Idea
...... no seat belt law, no helmet law and soon we will "pay" for no speed limit on Winni..... who do you think ultimately "pays" all the outrageous medical bills/court costs that are incurred not to mention the emotional toll on the family's when these freedom lovin folks bounce off a tree?????
I think someone is crazy to ride a motorcycle without a helmet but if that's their choice.... Maybe we should stop people from water and snow skiing, and ice and rock climbing, and hiking, and biking, and canoeing, and snowmobiling, and walking (my Mom fell and broke her wrist a few years ago). All these activities and many more cause injury and death every year. Many of the activities are unnecessary, i.e done for sport. Further, people have to spend money and run risks to rescue the injured. 40,000 people are killed in car accidents every year and we continue to drive cars. Should we all sit at home where we would be nice and safe? But a lot of accidents happen at home ....

Supporting freedom IS usually expensive, and often painful because someone concerned with freedom will sacrifice it only when the need is very strong.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

What I and others have proposed is the use of existing laws and the extension of some things like NWZs to control the reckless behavior that is the root of the problem on the lake and will not be significantly addressed by a speed limit because most of the bad behavior happens at speeds slower than 45 MPH. Education about the existing rules and better enforcement via better supported MP services is also essential.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:42 PM   #113
jarhead

Thumbs down

Quote:
Propeller,

As for the arguement regarding the unfortunate accident in Merrideth applying to speed limits? Perhaps it does relate directly to the issue since that type of 36ft Baja would most likely never have been on the lake if a speed limit had existed..... chew on that. The very nature of the poor visibility in these boats due to the bow being high in the water and obstructing the drivers vision while bringing the boat on plane is a BIG reason as to why they don't belong on a congested lake.

Great Idea = No Idea

What manufacturer is going to say that there boats don't belong on the lake ? You people bring up this one accident , as tragic as it is ,and use it to scare people over to your way of thinking what a joke. Come up with facts not your narrow minded opinion.I can tell you that visibility is a none issue , and will show you first hand if you like , as my 30' boat hops up on plane with little or no bow risein meer seconds . I have been trying to stay quiet but you narrow minded individuales with your hidden agenda are realy starting to annoye me.Your scare tactics, false facts and personal acounts may sway a few people but i feel that if you took a pole today you would find the vast majority is not thinking the way you are and is a lot smarter than you think.EDUCATION AND MORE FUNDING TO ENFORCE EXISTING REG'S ARE THE KEY TO A SAFER LAKE!
Old 05-03-2005, 07:12 PM   #114
codeman671

Default Bow lift again...

Great Idea, the subject of bow lift has come up before on speed-related topics. The time to plane on a 36' Baja is 3.5 seconds at 16.5. The funny thing is that the data for this was posted by Fat Jack who advocates for the speed limit. My post previous to that said that the boat can do well under 30mph. I have driven numerous boats in my life, probably more than most on here and can honestly say that for a 36' boat to plane so quickly and at such a low speed is impressive and does not create a dangerous situation with the bow obstructing view unless the driver simply does not know what they are doing. In this case it points back to boater education. I think that it has been established many times over that there were reasons other than speed for the unfortunate Littlefield accident. The outcome probably would have been the same if he was in a cruiser or bowrider. Alcohol and boating do not mix, especially at night. Were you there? I wasn't. Only those there that night can attest to the true nature of the accident so will people please stop blaming speed for this when even MP and countless hours of professional accident reconstruction cannot attribute the accident to this???

The number of boats on Winni that approach the 90-100mph mark is very few. A few cat hulls and an occasional step hull might make it there but not many. I looked at a 38' Baja recently for sale and on its best day with 525's it is a 70mph boat. A far cry from 100mph.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:54 PM   #115
chase1

Great Idea,
Quote:
I will remind you of my "gross exaggeration" again when one of the 4 or 5 large Formula/Fountains/Donzi's or Cig's that race up and down the lake every weekend hit someone or one another at high speed
Are you really upset about 4 or 5 boats running up and down the lake on a weekend? That’s it....... 4 or 5. You think that restricting 4 or 5 boats will make a significant change and better serve our tax dollars than if put toward enforcenent and education?

Quote:
My position comes from experience with large powerboats and contact with those that make/race large power boats.
Many of them feel as I do that these boats on Winni are silly.
Regardless of what people think it was you that pointed out, we are welcome to use our boats anywhere we like as long as we do so safely. (Or was the invite just of me)

Quote:
As for the argument regarding the unfortunate accident in Merrideth applying to speed limits? Perhaps it does relate directly to the issue since that type of 36ft Baja would most likely never have been on the lake if a speed limit had existed..... chew on that
I am purchasing property on the lake this spring and my boats ("GFBL" included) are coming to stay, regardless....... What’s for desert?

Chase1

Last edited by chase1; 05-03-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #116
Evenstar

Red face

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
You know, I find it interesting that some of the people advocating a SL seem to be OK with interpreting or ignoring significant data to suit their own purposes.

Just as some of the people opposed to a speed limit "seem to be OK with interpreting or ignoring significant data to suit their own purposes."

Quote:
Some, not all mind you but some, post as though many bad things have happened to them on Winni. when in fact they had never even been on the big lake.

I have repeatedly stated that I have yet to kayak on Winni (that should be corrected later this month), but I have spent a great deal of time on other large NH lakes, including some with, and some without a speed limit. There’s a noticeable difference, which is probably much more obvious to others like me who are in small, slow moving boats.

Quote:
When I look at the statistics, I see nothing that says to me that there are more accidents caused by boats going over 45 mph. Quite the contrary actually.
Ok, now you are "interpreting or ignoring significant data to suit your own purposes". I pointed this out in an earlier post; the data includes ALL types of boating accidents, on ALL types of water. To use the data objectively, you would have to use only boating accidents that occur on the larger lakes. And you would have to also know how many of the accidents involving small boats were caused by the actions of larger boats.

Quote:
Looking objectively at the data I would say canoes and such are extremely dangerous when compared to boats that travel over 45mph and should be further regulated. I would have a strong case for a law, based on the data and the concerns of some on this forum, that prohibits canoes/kayaks to be more than say 300ft from any shore and require the best possible life jackets and helmets be worn at all times. I could just imagine the outrage were this type of bill to be submitted.

First of all, you’re not looking at the date objectively. (As I just pointed out.) Secondly there’s a huge difference between canoes, recreational kayaks, and sea kayaks, when it comes to seaworthiness. And the small boats in the accident data also include inflatable rafts and rowboats, with no differentiation between any of the small boats. So you can’t know how many of the accidents actually involved canoes and kayaks. And of the accidents that did involve canoes and kayaks, how many actually happened on fast moving rivers? The data just doesn’t give this information.

Quote:
Based on history and statistics and the fact that when you bolt an engine to ANY type of vehicle, accidents will happen. Unfortunately, those who want a SL seem to be waiting for a tragedy to occur so they can exploit it and get their way.

I seriously doubt that anyone is doing that. I’m certainly not waiting for a tragedy to occur! After all, since I’m planning on kayaking on Winni soon, I could be the victim.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #117
Rayhunt

Quote:
Propeller,

I will remind you of my "gross exaggeration" again when one of the 4 or 5 large Formula/Fountains/Donzi's or Cig's that race up and down the lake every weekend hit someone or one another at high speed....... Remember , its not a question of if but when. There are quite a few boats on Winni that will do 90 and even some that will exceed 100 to 110. You need to be out our way on Saturday or Sunday. On another note I have nothing to do with WinnFabs are whatever it is. My position comes from experience with large power boats and contact with those that make/race large power boats.
Many of them feel as I do that these boats on Winni are silly. As for the arguement regarding the unfortunate accident in Merrideth applying to speed limits? Perhaps it does relate directly to the issue since that type of 36ft Baja would most likely never have been on the lake if a speed limit had existed..... chew on that. The very nature of the poor visibility in these boats due to the bow being high in the water and obstructing the drivers vision while bringing the boat on plane is a BIG reason as to why they don't belong on a congested lake.
Have you ever been on the lake??? Winni ..RIGHT ???
There are a handful of boats that will reach over 70-75 , never mind 90 or 100-110
Please stop ranting and raving ..these are just not the facts
I was on winni over 200 hours last year and never once had a problem with a speeding boat..
Old 05-04-2005, 12:31 AM   #118
Mee-n-Mac

Default How about incredible

I find it most curious that you would use the concept of a reckless driver and a 45 mph collision being more survivable than a 65 mph one as somehow supporting the SL. Surely then a 25 mph one is yet even more survivable. Using this reasoning how do you decide what's the appropriate allowable speed ? I think using survivability in the case of a collision as a means of supporting a SL is disingenuous. If the Littlefield incident proves nothing else, it proves that even in "low" speed collisions there's a risk of severe injury or death. Better stick to the case where collisions are avoided.

Implying that those who want to "speed" (clever use of a loaded word) are selfish because they are willing to trade peoples lives for their "right" to speed is pretty insulting don't you think ? How about the argument that there are people who moderate their speed appropriate to the conditions and don't see the need to have, what appears to them, an unreasonably low limit placed on them at all times and at all places on the lake. Saying that people who don't agree with a 45 mph limit are putting other peoples lives at risk conveys the unproven (in so far as this or other threads on this topic go) quality of being a fact that speeds above the proposed limit are always dangerous. What others are asking for is just this proof. What they get is hyperbole about 90, 100, 110 and greater speeds and that these demonstrate the appropriateness of a 45 mph (? vs some higher ?) speed limit. I can understand the concerns but concern by itself isn't sufficient for restricting peoples actions. Comments akin to GF boats are "ridiculous" and that people don't "need" to go "that fast" are subjective judgements that by themselves don't lend any weight to the necessity or reasonableness of a 45 mph SL. There are a number of people who don't think that speed > 45 mph is the #1 or even the #10 problem on the lake and diverting resources to combat this issue is perhaps not the best thing to do. I'd rather see the MPs have the funds to buy cameras or camcorders to better prove "recklessness" (stupidity, arrogance, call it what you will) that I see in more abundance, and most always at speeds < 45 mph, than have to them equipped with the latest radar guns catching people who may be guilty of nothing more than violating an arbitrary limit. If "speed" can at times be safe and at other times and under other conditions be reckless, then perhaps what needs beefing up are the anti-recklessness (pardon my inventive wording) laws and not the speed statutes.

From Saf-C 404.12;

(c) No boat operator shall operate his/her vessel in a manner that is unsafe, including the following types of conduct:
(1) Challenging other boaters by heading directly at a vessel and then swerving at the last minute to avoid collision;
(2) Weaving through congested boat traffic at greater than headway speed;
(3) Operating while his/her vision is obstructed; and
(4) Other types of operation that are intended to create erratic operational patterns so that other boaters cannot determine the course or heading of the vessel.

I add that including doesn't mean limited to.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:41 AM   #119
codeman671

Well said Mee-n Mac as always...

By the way, Evenstar if you are so worried about your safety on Winni why do you want to kayak on Winni? You seem to have pretty strong opinions against it and also have made some pretty strong statements about boating in general for someone who claimed back on April 2nd to be fairly new to kayaking and boating.

And I quote "I do most of my paddling up here, but I do get down to the Lakes Region fairly often as well, as it’s only about an hour drive for me. I’m new to kayaking (and boating, for that matter), and I still have a great deal to learn."

Searching the internet and reading NH statutes does not make up for on-water experience.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:25 AM   #120
PROPELLER

Great Idea, as I have said in previous posts I am out every weekend from ice out to mid October & I spend 2 weeks vacation on the lake and I have done this for several years now. I travel all around the lake not just one area all the time & I put over 100 hrs on my boat with several more hours at anchor in different areas around the lake. I think I am qualified to make judgements about what I see on the lake & I do not see high performance boats hurdling around the lake recklessly at speeds of 80 or 90 + mph. I also have never witnessed or experienced a close call with one.

As far as how fast some of these high performance boats are traveling, are you in possession of some kind of equipment thats confirming the speed of these boats? Or are you that good with estimating speed? If you are that good then the marine patrol would love to hire you. If HB162 passes the marine patrol could save a whole lot of money on the equipment that may not even work & just use your powers of estimation.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:45 AM   #121
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
...if you are so worried about your safety on Winni why do you want to kayak on Winni?
So Evenstar should go somewhere else so as not to get in the way of a GFBL?

Is personal freedom and the right of access only for fast boaters?

I guess you guys are missing the pioint. A speed limit will make kayaking SAFER in Winni!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:57 AM   #122
chase1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander

I guess you guys are missing the pioint. A speed limit will make kayaking SAFER in Winni!
Islander,
Any restriction could be argued to show safety improvements, including the restriction of Kayaks. (Would hate to see it - I have two)
The point is...Data does not show a speed limit will have an impact on Winnipesaukee safety, but it does show additional enforcement and education efforts will make all boating safer, in all NH waters.

My boating and tax dollars are not limited to Lake Winnipeasukee.

Chase1
Old 05-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #123
ITD

Boating Statistics 2003 from the US Coast Guard

http://www.uscgboating.org/statistic...stics_2003.pdf

Categories in the accident column Canoe/Kayak also Rowboats, pontoon boat, Sail only, inflatable, among others, all nicely spelled out.

More people died in Canoe/Kayak than PWC, interesting, flies directly in the face of comments by the anti-PWC crowd. Just an interesting point that I would not have suspected had I not looked.

In 2003 in New Hampshire there were 6 fatalities related to boats, 5 were drownings 1 was listed as other. This is for the whole state.

Nationwide, 1469 collisions with other boats, 70 fatalities. Probability of a fatality from a collision with another vessel - 4% you should be much more worried about falling overboard - probability of death - 34%.

The arguement that you need to use only data from Winni just doesn't hold water, pun intended. There are probably not enough "events" for a reasonable statistical study of just Winni and if there were I would be willing to bet that the data would show it is safer to boat/kayak on Winni. than other comparable lakes. (Big reach here, but mild compared to some of the other "estimations" in these threads). NH is ahead of the curve with the boater education requirement, a valid requirement based on the STATISTICS. From the report:

�� Consistent with previous years, nearly 80% of all reported fatalities occurred on
boats where the operator had not received boating safety instruction (Page 19).

Trust me, had the stats in this report pointed to speeds above 45mph as a problem we would have seen this report pasted all over these posts.

I just don't see the need for a speed limit.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:49 AM   #124
jeffk

Default Winni is a multiuse lake

Quote:
There are many areas on the lake (150 ft around all shoreline, shoal, coves, channels, ...) where it is not possible or desirable for larger boats to go at all, let alone to go fast. Those areas are completely open to smaller boats. However, Winni is also a BIG lake and has areas appropriate for other uses as well. In those areas the smaller boats will need to share the lake with larger, faster, and yes, potentially more dangerous boats. Kayaks and other small boats are looking for paths to stroll through the woods. Powered boats are looking for highways. It is not inherently "right" that all modes for travel be paths or all be highways. Both are needed. Most smaller lakes in NH have been designated as "paths". Where we tend, I think, to disagree is whether parts of the big lake are really highways and may be more dangerous for vessels that are looking for paths.

We don't play in roads because there is danger from cars, even though all the rules say that the cars should yield to pedestrians. We can walk along a road and walk across it (walkers have "access") but prudence says that we should minimize our time spent on a road to keep personal danger to a minimum (thus we have mall walkers ). And on the busiest highways we DO exclude walkers, bicyclists, and other smaller, slower modes of transport.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:26 PM   #125
codeman671

Default "You guys"

Islander, if we want to get into the "you guys" stereotyping syndrome why are "you guys" being the speed limit proponents saying that the GFBL's are the only ones that Evenstar should stay away from??? The ones that are taking away your personal freedoms? Don't you think that there are plenty of other boats on the lake that can exceed the proposed speed limit? There are pontoon boats with outboards that can exceed 45mph and I am not talking about the ones with I/O's and thru-hull exhausts like the Manitou. My 21' fishing boat is capable of 53-55mph with a 225 optimax, does this make me a GFBL? I think not.

I never stated that Evenstar should take her kayak elsewhere. I do not see the lake as being a place dangerous enough where I would not want to kayak there myself. If she feels that threatened about her safety and bashes boaters in general why would she want to come to Winni at all? That was my question.

I do not think that the GFBL's are trying to force anyone off the lake, they are not trying to take away anyones liberties. However the speed limit proponents are.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:32 PM   #126
jarhead

Question what

Quote:

I think you should read codemans post again what part did he say don't come to winni.I ask you a question is the personal freedom and right to access the lake only for kayaking? NO !!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS FOR ALL TYPES OF PEOPLE AND BOATS !!!!!! What some of you SL suporters can't seem to get thru your skulls is the lake is for everyone not just yourselves . You provide no facts just ramblings of personal acounts that make absolutly no sense to anyone but yourselves. What is next for some of you, large diplacement boats , pwc's, skiers and wakeboarders, what. YOU START WITH THE MINORITY ON THE LAKE AND GO FROM THERE I GEUSS.Lake winni is lake winni that's the way it is if you don't like it leave that's the beauty of this country , freedom to do as you will.Obviously without harming others. What kills me is why people want to be sheep and be told how to everything.Stop putting blame and trying to tell people what to do and just enjy the lake for what it is.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #127
Great Idea

Default Its a deal......

OK Jarhead,

You can take me out in your 30fter and give me a lesson..... then I will take you out on my 48ft triple on the ocean ( where is belongs). Bring a clean diaper and your blanky because you'll need it. My opinion is narrow minded so that means yours is highly enlightened? Give me a break... its emotional rants like yours in response to counter opinions that turn people off to this site. Aggressive posting, aggressive boating perhaps? State your opinion and stop throwing stones. As for experience on Winni? I live on Winni and have spent 100's of hours on the water here since the mid 80's. Large go fasts require time and space in order to get up on plane. This presents a problem on busy weekends at Winni when the lake is busy. There are very few areas on the lake in which these boats can be used for their intended purpose. As for 4 or 5 boats Chase 1? Thats 4 or 5 AT A TIME, 4 or 5 across going by several times during the weekend. We can go on and on.... blah , blah.... the facts remain this.... Winni is becoming a congested area on weekends. Saftey during these times has become a concern. Measures will be taken to address the problem. A speed limit will most likely become PART of the changes considered to address the issue. Hopefully along with increased enforcement and eduction. We all agree that is the most important way of improving the situation. As I have said several times, I would love to avoid the speed limit however as boat usage and congestion on the lake increases its gonna happen.

Last edited by Great Idea; 05-04-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:04 PM   #128
lake4life

I agree that congestion is getting to be a problem.. it was once just a nuisance on holiday weekends, but I have been hoping it would plateau. Maybe NH could take a lesson from NY (not the speed limit part) and reserve more public land on the waterfront. I'm more concerned about preserving what makes the lake great than safety (as if boating were so dangerous).

I definitely think that the lake has something for everyone, whether they want to canoe between islands or throw a rooster-tail, but I also believe that there becomes a point when the sheer amount of congestion and commercial development ruins it. That being said, how about giving some more alternatives that would keep the lake enjoyable for the long-term (besides a bloody speed limit ) ?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #129
chase1

Great Idea,

Quote:
As for 4 or 5 boats Chase 1? Thats 4 or 5 AT A TIME, 4 or 5 across going by several times during the weekend
Sounds like you are in a great location................ Any homes for sale next door?

Seriously.

Chase1

Last edited by chase1; 05-04-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #130
Evenstar

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
By the way, Evenstar if you are so worried about your safety on Winni why do you want to kayak on Winni?
Why do YOU want to boat on Winni? Because it's there, and I have the right to use it. And I have the right to feel safe when I'm kayaking there. Plus I'm going to college in Concord, where I'll be closer to Winni. Enough reasons?

Quote:
You seem to have pretty strong opinions against it and also have made some pretty strong statements about boating in general for someone who claimed back on April 2nd to be fairly new to kayaking and boating.
I don't have anything "against Winni". What I do have problems with are people who seem to think that Winni is just for their own personal pleasure, no matter how baddly their actions affect others.

What strong statements have I made about boating in general? Most of my "strong statements" have been about kayaking, or from the perspective of a kayaker.

Why do I have to keep defending myself and my abilities? Because I'm being honest? Ok, here goes: I've spent well over 100 hours kayaking, since last spring ... mostly on large lakes, but I've also done some white water kayaking, on Class II and III rapids. I've taken lessons from an expert and attended hours of seminars, given by people who have been kayaking for over 30 years. I've learned advanced paddling techniques, and I can do self rescues. And I can out paddle most guys. I've even taken a navigation seminar. How many powerboaters have put in this much effort in all their years of boating?

So I am fairly new to this, but I've learned a great deal in less than a year. I've been kayaking up here this spring since April 16th ... and I've already paddled on 3 lakes and on 2 rivers. Sea kayaking requires a great deal of skill to do well. You really have to know what you're doing. So I've worked hard and I've learned a great deal, both on and off the water. I do know what I'm doing, and I do know what I'm talking about.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #131
Rayhunt

Quote:
OK Jarhead,

You can take me out in your 30fter and give me a lesson..... then I will take you out on my 48ft triple on the ocean ( where is belongs). Bring a clean diaper and your blanky because you'll need it. My opinion is narrow minded so that means yours is highly enlightened? Give me a break... its emotional rants like yours in response to counter opinions that turn people off to this site. Aggressive posting, aggressive boating perhaps? State your opinion and stop throwing stones. As for experience on Winni? I live on Winni and have spent 100's of hours on the water here since the mid 80's. Large go fasts require time and space in order to get up on plane. This presents a problem on busy weekends at Winni when the lake is busy. There are very few areas on the lake in which these boats can be used for their intended purpose. As for 4 or 5 boats Chase 1? Thats 4 or 5 AT A TIME, 4 or 5 across going by several times during the weekend. We can go on and on.... blah , blah.... the facts remain this.... Winni is becoming a congested area on weekends. Saftey during these times has become a concern. Measures will be taken to address the problem. A speed limit will most likely become PART of the changes considered to address the issue. Hopefully along with increased enforcement and eduction. We all agree that is the most important way of improving the situation. As I have said several times, I would love to avoid the speed limit however as boat usage and congestion on the lake increases its gonna happen.
Id realy like to see your 48 with triples ..What kind of boat is it?
Old 05-04-2005, 04:54 PM   #132
Great Idea

Default LOL... what does this have do with our SL debate??

Actually its a 47 Fountain Lightning with triple 525's...... does that qualify? lol. The Marina calls it a 48 plus due to some of the extra's on it so that I have to pay more to store it.... I used to have a 32 on Winni. It's too big for Winni so we use it on the ocean OFF SHORE.... you know the rest.

Chase 1 , are neighbors have been around for 20 plus years and I expect their family's to stay on but I will keep my ears open for you. Have a great summer guys. This thread is worn out..... Hey we have fun in our slow Winni boat(s) too!!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 05:10 PM   #133
jarhead

Quote:
OK Jarhead,

Throwing stones who did that ?well at least i'm not calling some one a baby.I have reread your posts on this topic,wich is the only thing you have ever posted on , and find it hard to believe any of it .What will a speed limit do that more funding for education and enforcment won't do.My 30' GFNL planes out in under 5 seconds , runs wot mid 70's and handles well at speed so your visibilty argument doesn't apply.I would be more than happy to show you sometime , but somehow doubt that by returning the favor you will scare me.I'm not ranting just telling it like it is.Give me some facts on speed and i'll shut up. I don't rate my opinion that high but atleast it doesn't infringe on others rights.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:56 PM   #134
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
First off, the discussion is a law limiting the speed to 45 mph, not "90 plus." A lot of boats on the lake are capable of exceeding that and do not have speedometers.
Huh? First off, there are very (very) few boats on this lake capable of speeds in excess of 90. Please define your definition of a lot.

I have a 33' with HP500s (470 HP each) and on a good day, it will top out at 72 (GPS). It spends most of it's "cruising" time at 3,500 RMP which equals out to about 45 - 48. Only time I tend to open it up is during the middle of the week when most everyone has gone home.

In terms of speedos, where did you get that factoid? I have never seen a HP boat without a speedo. Most have GPS (for accurate speed measurements) as well.

Quote:
Large go fasts require time and space in order to get up on plane. This presents a problem on busy weekends at Winni when the lake is busy
Don't know about your's, but when conditions warrant it, I drop my k-planes and am on plan with virtually no bow-rise.

Also, one thing that bugs me are posts were people say "I was buzzed at 50, 60, or whatever". I doubt most people can tell the difference between 45 and 60 (especially on the water). Heck, most people don't even know how long 150 feet is

I keep sensing that there is another agenda here, other than speed (MHO).

Let the debate go one, but lets try to keep it rational, factual and unemotional.

OK, I'm done.

Last edited by Paugus Bay Resident; 05-04-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:04 PM   #135
trfour

Post Way to go PBR.

Keep em honest!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 05-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #136
Rayhunt

Quote:
Actually its a 47 Fountain Lightning with triple 525's...... does that qualify? lol. The Marina calls it a 48 plus due to some of the extra's on it so that I have to pay more to store it.... I used to have a 32 on Winni. It's too big for Winni so we use it on the ocean OFF SHORE.... you know the rest.

Chase 1 , are neighbors have been around for 20 plus years and I expect their family's to stay on but I will keep my ears open for you. Have a great summer guys. This thread is worn out..... Hey we have fun in our slow Winni boat(s) too!!!!
So you have a 47 fountain with triples ..Lets see a pic ?
Nice input PBR
Old 05-04-2005, 08:28 PM   #137
pm203

Quote:

For some reason,I am not buying the 47 Fountain story
Old 05-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #138
Evenstar

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
Categories in the accident column Canoe/Kayak also Rowboats, pontoon boat, Sail only, inflatable, among others, all nicely spelled out. More people died in Canoe/Kayak than PWC, interesting, flies directly in the face of comments by the anti-PWC crowd. Just an interesting point that I would not have suspected had I not looked.

So how many of these fatalities were white water rives? And how many of these fatalities were caused by a larger boat? This is also from the report, on page 6, under Executive Summary Boating Statistics – 2003:

- The most reported type of accident was a collision with another vessel.

- Overall, operator inattention, carelessness/reckless operation, operator inexperience, and excessive speed are the leading contributing factors of all reported accidents (Pages 7, 37).

- The most common types of boats involved in reported accidents were open motorboats (42%), personal watercraft (PWC) (27%) and cabin motorboats (14%)

I honestly had forgot that row boats and inflatables were in separate catagories. but there is only a single category for canoe/kayak, and this includes all lengths from ~7 to 18+ feet. They are not separated at all, but are just lumped together. And, as I stated in my previous reply; there’s a huge difference between canoes, recreational kayaks, and sea kayaks, when it comes to seaworthiness.” And you keep leaving out the fact that this is for all types of water, not just lakes. The data is for boats on ponds and on rivers, including white water, where the larger boats don’t even go.

Quote:
The arguement that you need to use only data from Winni just doesn't hold water, pun intended.

I never said that. What I actually wrote was; “To use the data objectively, you would have to use only boating accidents that occur on the larger lakes.”
Old 05-05-2005, 05:30 AM   #139
restauranteer

Unhappy Who said what when???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar
...I never said that. What I actually wrote was...
Honestly, I don't know what you actually wrote anymore. A quick check has revealed that in little more than a month you have posted your opinion on this general subject in excess of fifty times!

But not to single you out, others have responded point-counterpoint dozens of times back & forth.

How about we let those who have not offered their opinion chime in, if there's anyone out there left, then move on and enjoy the summer?

This bill will not be heard until sometime next year, if at all. While there are claims of public hearings being held "all over the lake", not a single one has been scheduled.

Hmmmmm, reminds me of that old kitchen saying; "a tempest in a teapot"....

Of course, your apetite may vary!

Bon apetit!
Old 05-05-2005, 08:10 AM   #140
ITD

Quote:

So how many of these fatalities were white water rives? And how many of these fatalities were caused by a larger boat?

I don't know, how many were caused by boats going faster than 45mph? I'd be very surprised if any or more than a very small percentage of canoe/kayak accidents had that cause.

Quote:
This is also from the report, on page 6, under Executive Summary Boating Statistics – 2003:
Quote:

- The most reported type of accident was a collision with another vessel.
Again, nothing surprising here, we are talking about boating accidents, for instance I wouldn't expect boat hitting car to be a top category, boat hitting boat is what I expect.

Quote:
- Overall, operator inattention, carelessness/reckless operation, operator inexperience, and excessive speed are the leading contributing factors of all reported accidents (Pages 7, 37).
Bold print on excessive speed was added by you, but excessive speed doesn't mean above 45mph. In fact the top speed for a LARGE MAJORITY of boats in less than 45mph. So a reasonable person could conclude that a LARGE MAJORITY of these accidents happened at a speed of less than 45MPH.

Quote:
- The most common types of boats involved in reported accidents were open motorboats (42%), personal watercraft (PWC) (27%) and cabin motorboats (14%)
OK, just about what I would expect, as far as I can tell these numbers correspond with the numbers of those types of boats that are registered and used every year, what does that have to do with speeds over 45mph? Let me answer that question, except for the PWC, most of those boats can't go faster than 45mph.

Quote:

I honestly had forgot that row boats and inflatables were in separate catagories. but there is only a single category for canoe/kayak, and this includes all lengths from ~7 to 18+ feet. They are not separated at all, but are just lumped together. And, as I stated in my previous reply; there’s a huge difference between canoes, recreational kayaks, and sea kayaks, when it comes to seaworthiness.” And you keep leaving out the fact that this is for all types of water, not just lakes. The data is for boats on ponds and on rivers, including white water, where the larger boats don’t even go.

I never said that. What I actually wrote was; “To use the data objectively, you would have to use only boating accidents that occur on the larger lakes.”

You forgot the ocean, which technically is what a "sea" kayak is built for. If I ignore the data that you want me to ignore things only look better. Winni. has only had a few deaths over the past few years and from what I can tell no deaths in the past two years from speeds over 45mph. ( I don't know this for sure but I'm sure I will be quickly corrected if wrong.)

Finally from a different post:

Quote:
Why do I have to keep defending myself and my abilities? Because I'm being honest?
Many of your posts in a previous thread gave the impression that you had many "problems" kayaking on Lake Winnipesaukee. You never came out and said that you had problems on Winni. but reading your posts certainly gave the impression. You also stated many times that you had been "to" Winnipesaukee again giving the impression that you had kayaked on Winni. when in fact as you finally say, you hadn't been kayaking on Winni. That is why people keep questioning you. I don't think you are dishonest, but the posts I just referred to are why I questioned you.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:17 AM   #141
chase1

Evenstar,

You have got it......data. I agree the best way to improve boating safety is to target the top contributing factors. A speed limit would have no affect reducing operator inattention, carelessness/reckless operation, operator inexperience, and excessive speed
Education and enforcement would.

Chase1
Old 05-05-2005, 09:27 AM   #142
ApS

Default Former MP official writes in today's Granite State News

Just 1˝ of four paragraphs seems to sum it up for us on Winnipesaukee:

Quote:
"...Unfortunately, the Lake Winnipesaukee we enjoyed in the 1970s was very different from the lake we have today. While the change over time is inevitable, we do have an obligation to protect more than the quality of the lake water. We must protect the "quality of family life" on the Lake for generations to come.

"Can all the activities in, on or around the lake co-exist in harmony? Will our children and grandchildren still be able to enjoy swimming, sailing, water skiing and other activities or are changes on the lake compromising of their safety? Perhaps we need a new group of "preservationists"… stewards for the protection for the family life as we wish to enjoy it on the water...I am pleased that such an effort is under way. House Bill 162, currently in committee, may be an answer, or at least one of them...."
http://granitestatenews.com/1editorl...ooptracking=51
Old 05-05-2005, 10:23 AM   #143
Great Idea

Default It keeps getting better and better...

PM203,

So I can add being called a liar to the list of insults such as "NO Idea" and "narrow minded" as suggested by Jarhead???? And you wonder why many folks are turned off and avoid these threads? Stop the insults and stick to the thread's topic. Trying to bully and discredit opposing opinions and forum users shouldn't be what the forum is about. I will be leaving next week to go use my "pretend" Lightning in St Pete , (I own it jointly with my cousin and keep at slip in the Bay ) .... headed to Marco Island with the family ..... Can't wait!!! Unlike Winni there is room to let it rip down in the Gulf.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #144
Aubrey

If you think a speed limit can't happen on Winni, check out the link.

Over 260 New Hampshire lakes and ponds with speed and/or horsepower limits. Many ban all motorboats. A 0 mph limit I guess.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/ss/bodies.html

It's coming, now or later but its coming.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:49 PM   #145
Cal

Looks like a lot of nice safe place for Kayaks
Old 05-05-2005, 08:02 PM   #146
Skip

Wink Its the end of the world.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey
...It's coming, now or later but its coming...
Shucks,

I thought you were talking about this: http://www.satansrapture.com/asteroid.htm

Sorry, couldn't resist....
Old 05-05-2005, 08:25 PM   #147
codeman671

Default Puddles...

Most of the lakes in the link above of 260+ lakes/ponds in NH are mere puddles...Other than Squam most of the others are extremely tiny, a few hundred acres at best. A far cry from 45k acres of water on Winni. As a matter of fact the only decent sized lake in NH that I saw on the list that had a true lake-wide speed limit was Squam. Over years of snowmobiling and fishing in NH I can say that I have been on or seen many of the lakes/ponds on the list and I do not see the correlation. How many lakes in NH are above 1k acres? 500 acres? Most are under 100 acres.

Not much there to back up the need for a speed limit on Winni. Try again...
Old 05-05-2005, 10:29 PM   #148
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Default Thread Closing

This thread will be closed in 24 hours (late Friday night) and this forum will take a break from this issue. New threads and messages about speed limits will not be allowed unless there is a major development that justifies a new discussion.

If you wish you can make one closing statement about this issue.

Last edited by webmaster; 05-05-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:11 AM   #149
jarhead

Talking Thread closing

Thank you for tolerating all this. closing statement- speed limit= no more education and enforcement of existing laws = yes.And one final question , what do we have to do to get a decent weekend around here.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:22 AM   #150
Woodsy

Webmaster...

My post was meant to be more of a technical post about why radar isn't as easy as some would lead you to believe rather than a debate about the proposed speed limit. I understand people feel very strongly about thier beliefs, unfortunately this thread seems to have denegerated quickly into a mess. I apologize for that.

Woodsy
Old 05-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #151
Great Idea

Default Not all bad...

Woodsy,

The post wasn't all bad (disregarding the personal insults). Perhaps we can all take away from this the need for us all to help foster change on the lake? Maybe we can all make an effort to spread the word..... things like speaking to those we know or see at the docks about the importance of boating safely on the lake and using common sense could help. Sometimes peer pressure and the little reminders we give eachother can make folks think twice about engaging in reckless behavior. In some cases people just don't know any better. We can all help by sharing our knowledge and experiences with others. Maybe we can do some good and make the lake a bit safer? Let's all agree to "pass the word" to "BOAT SAFE" this summer....... oh yeah and have some fun too!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:59 AM   #152
chase1

Great Idea........The National Recreational Boating Survey conducted in 2002 found that:
“Operators with higher levels of boating issue awareness (saw, read, or heard information on boat safety) were more likely to have completed a safety course.”
I agree..... We can all help by sharing our knowledge and experiences with others.

Chase1
Old 05-12-2005, 07:40 AM   #153
fatlazyless

Default Union Leader 'Speed Limit' -ng flashers

In case you all missed it, today's May 12 www.unionleader.com has the suggested 45mph day/ 25mph night speed limit - Winnipesaukee- www.winnfabs.com legislative proposal for its lead news article. Read all about it - hear yee- hear yee, a story w/ some legs, me thinkums. Well, big boats, small boats, sail boats, fast boats, slow boats, pwc's, kayaks, canoes, peddleboats & now a submarine, all can coexist in peace on the 75 billion gallon big lake, glub-glub-glub.

Attention, someone in charge somewhere! Flasher Buoy #3, is not flashing and is not lited at night, either, so, if you could kindly replace the bulb or something. Fear not, just the other day, I paid my $40.50 to register my boat for the year and the check will not bounce so that, hopefully, should be enough to pay for the new Buoy #3 flasher bulb, but maybe not? Thankyou.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:04 AM   #154
Bear Islander

What a great article, thanks. They plan to add Winnisquam, Sunapee, Ossipee and Newfound to the list of lakes having a 45/25 speed limit.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:04 AM   #155
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts
Default State studies speed limits on largest lakes

State studies speed limits on largest lakes
By PAULA TRACY
Union Leader Staff

The state's six largest natural lakes could get speed limits under a proposal being studied this summer.

A proposed bill that seeks a 45 mph daytime and a 25 mph nighttime limit for Lake Winnipesaukee could be amended to include Winnisquam, Sunapee, Ossipee and Newfound.

Squam  the only lake that currently has speed limits  would maintain its daytime limit of 40 mph and nighttime limit of 20, under a proposed amendment to House Bill 162.

The New Hampshire Lakes Association, representing more than 13,000 lake enthusiasts from 145 member associations, wants to see the measure include the six big lakes, said Jared Teutsch, NHLA's environmental policy director.

"Marine Patrol is already on those lakes (in boats) and it would make the enforcement issue easier if they handled the multi-community lakes the same way," Teutsch said.

But the head of the state Department of Safety Division of Marine Patrol is opposed to the bill, arguing it is unenforceable and selective.

"This is feel-good legislation," Marine Patrol Director David Barrett said yesterday. "The proponents are being disingenuous. This is exclusionary and being used to get rid of a kind of boat they don't like."

He said speed limit advocates are targeting performance speed boats, also known as off-shore or "cigarette" boats, which can go faster than 90 mph.

"They are wrapping themselves in a flag of safety and pointing at me as anti-safety. They are not being honest," Barrett said. "They can't give us any statistics to show that this would make a difference."

Focus on Winnipesaukee

The new chairman of the House committee considering the bill said he doesn't see any reason to amend the bill to expand the speed limit to other lakes.

Rep. David Currier, R-Henniker, took the helm of the House Resources Recreation and Development Committee last week. The panel has retained the bill for study this summer and had tentatively planned three public hearings on Winnipesaukee during July and August.

But Currier, who voted to kill the bill as a committee member, said he does not see the need for three hearings; one might be enough, he said.

Currier, who is an auxiliary marine patrol officer on Lake Massasecum in Bradford, said he does not see a conflict between this volunteer post and his chairmanship of the legislative committee.

"I do not take orders on legislative issues from director Barrett," he said.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:07 AM   #156
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts
Default Second half of the article....

Calmer environment

Rusty McLear, president and CEO of Hampshire Hospitality Holdings, said business leaders, property owners, legislators and organizations interested in the lake have been invited to discuss the proposed legislation and learn more about the issues at a May 22 event at Church Landing at Mill Falls in Meredith.
McLear and Alex Ray, owner of the Common Man Family of Restaurants, are hosting the event, which is geared toward those seeking a "calmer lake environment in general," Ray said.
Teutsch said 45/25 mph speed limits have been imposed and are routinely enforced in Massachusetts statewide and on inlets and harbors in Rhode Island as well as on New York's Lake George.
Waterways in Washington state, Oregon and Minnesota, as well as the Thousand Islands in New York and Canada, are listed as having speed limits.

Residents' concerns

A new organization of lakefront property owners called WinnFABS has organized in support of speed limits on Winnipesaukee.
Chris Devine, executive director of the Squam Lakes Association, said there is a radar gun in use by Marine Patrol on the lake, and the reports he has received show that it works well and is used at locations and times when congestion and speed are factors.
But Barrett said there is difficulty using radar on boats. He said stationary radar guns on docks and land would work only part of the time. Giving chase to speeding boaters would also be difficult, he noted.
"It's not like a highway, you know," he said.

Problem is limited

Barrett said the problem of big speed boats is not on Ossipee or Newfound, but on the much larger Winnipesaukee.
"The bottom line is we will try and deal with it as best we can if this passes, but it is not going to garner the sorts of results that they might want to see," he said.
Teutsch acknowledged that Marine Patrol is not going to catch every speeding boat, but just having speed limits and an occasional speed trap would go a long way toward making the lakes safer, he said.
He said he has met with organizations for the six major lakes this week and they are generally supportive of speed limits.
Walter Goddard, president of the Lake Sunapee Protective Association, said the issue of whether to support a speed limit for Lake Sunapee will be on his agenda for the monthly board meeting on Saturday.
Several organizations representing bass fishermen, marine tradesmen and owners of large speed boats have signed on in opposition to the bill and have hired lobbyists, according to Teutsch.
Jim Bianco, representing the New Hampshire Recreational Boaters Association, could not be reached for comment. That newly formed organization of boaters is opposing the legislation.
One of the backers of the bill is Merrill Fay, owner of Fay's Boatyard in Gilford, which deals primarily with sailing vessels. Last fall, Fay asked state Rep. Dr. James Pilliod, R-Belmont, to address the speed limit issue by sponsoring House Bill 162.
No hearing dates for the bill have been set.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:02 PM   #157
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Cool Speed Limit bill

FYI on what's going on at this point.

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...052/-1/citizen

Please join Winnfab if you want speed limits

Please join NHRBA if you want enforcement of the boater's safety course.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:59 PM   #158
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Ah, its all a mute point anyway. There is no current legislation being proposed to even consider the speed limit issue, so we're likely years off before we ever cross that bridge....
Skip - HB162 is a speed limit bill that is very current. There will be three hearing on this bill held in the lakes are this summer.

The hearing might even be held on local access cable tv.