Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2024, 04:28 PM   #1
retired
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Belmont, NH
Posts: 73
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 17 Posts
Default Slalom Course

Back in 1978 there was a slalom course that someone set up in a small cove on the right side of Winter Harbor. We used to ski it with my 16ft Renken with an 80hp Merc. Back then I was in my early 20s and was able to make all the buoys. Not sure what speed since my speedometer was very accurate. Does anyone know who set up that course and why it was taken down?
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 06:38 PM   #2
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,495
Thanks: 730
Thanked 1,405 Times in 973 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Back in 1978 there was a slalom course that someone set up in a small cove on the right side of Winter Harbor. We used to ski it with my 16ft Renken with an 80hp Merc. Back then I was in my early 20s and was able to make all the buoys. Not sure what speed since my speedometer was very accurate. Does anyone know who set up that course and why it was taken down?
I remember it and I skied it but I don't know who set it up and what happened to it. It was right by the old airport. APS, do you know who set that up?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 08:23 PM   #3
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida (Sebring & Keys), Wolfeboro
Posts: 5,833
Thanks: 2,122
Thanked 756 Times in 541 Posts
Red face Here's All I Know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Back in 1978 there was a slalom course that someone set up in a small cove on the right side of Winter Harbor. We used to ski it with my 16ft Renken with an 80hp Merc. Back then I was in my early 20s and was able to make all the buoys. Not sure what speed since my speedometer was very accurate. Does anyone know who set up that course and why it was taken down?
^
Yes, that is Johnson's Cove. (Ike Johnson).

Back then, Johnson's Cove might have had a fishing boat or two on any one weekend. Turtles climbed floating timbers reclaimed from forest giants wrecked by the Hurricane of 1938. The timbers were cut into dimensional lumber at the large mill sited next to Forest Road. The mill and its floating "rafts" of logs (hundreds) dominated the cove for decades, falling into extreme disrepair until new houses appeared across the street. (Making for poor "curb appeal").The entire two-story mill and its giant circular saw blade then disappeared.

Funny that over decades, "rafts" of logs got replaced by "rafts" of party boats!

The slalom course was new to me and my bride in 1980.

But nice to have confirmation of my several posts (here at the forum) regarding that slalom course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I remember it and I skied it but I don't know who set it up and what happened to it. It was right by the old airport. APS, do you know who set that up?
No.

__________________
Every MP who enters Winter Harbor will pass by my porch of 67 years...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 04:25 AM   #4
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,495
Thanks: 730
Thanked 1,405 Times in 973 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
^
Yes, that is Johnson's Cove. (Ike Johnson).

Back then, Johnson's Cove might have had a fishing boat or two on any one weekend. Turtles climbed floating timbers reclaimed from forest giants wrecked by the Hurricane of 1938. The timbers were cut into dimensional lumber at the large mill sited next to Forest Road. The mill and its floating "rafts" of logs (hundreds) dominated the cove for decades, falling into extreme disrepair until new houses appeared across the street. (Making for poor "curb appeal").The entire two-story mill and its giant circular saw blade then disappeared.

Funny that over decades, "rafts" of logs got replaced by "rafts" of party boats!

The slalom course was new to me and my bride in 1980.

But nice to have confirmation of my several posts (here at the forum) regarding that slalom course!

No.

The course wasn't IN Johnson Cove though, it was above it, closer to where the Horn's used to live.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.27598 seconds