Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
cabinfever

Default 1940s Gas Refrigerator Repair

I searched through the archives and couldn't find any postings about this, so here goes. Does anyone know of any companies or tradesmen who service antique propane gas fridges? We have a late 1940s Servel that's putting out a strong odor and a bit of smoke -- yikes. It's the only old appliance we haven't been able to get up and running in the cabin. We have all the original manuals and servicing paperwork, but can't seem to make it work properly. I really want to save this old beauty. I dread the thought of replacing it with a modern model. Thanks for your help!
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 12:41 PM   #2
Island-Ho

Default Servel

Have you tried cleaning out the flame chamber and the flue? Since yours has not been used for some time, it is probably full of spider webs and other bugs. There is very little that can go wrong with the system, as there are no moving parts. You can also contact George Randall on Cow Island. (603) 253-7042 He services the islands in our area.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:56 PM   #3
cabinfever

Default Worth a try

I will certainly give this a try... and then call George if I fail! Thank you Island-Ho....
Old 10-07-2004, 07:56 AM   #4
camp guy

Default Gas fridge repair

There is something about "odor", "old", "gas" and matches that makes me nervous. Please, with all due respect to the advice available on the internet, use a serviceman who is experienced with gas utilities. One little mistake by a well-meaning yet inexperienced homeowner could result in a terrible "bang" and a sad ending to an otherwise great day. Be carefull. Please.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 07:27 PM   #5
cabinfever

Default Absolutely!

I'm with ya on that one. "I, myself" would never be doing this work. The serviceman's on his way....
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default Turn it upside down

Sometimes the old gas refrigerators get a air bubble in the coolant gas. So turning them upside down for at least a week, solves the problem. But since there is alot of smoke it probably just does need a good cleaning. Like Island -Ho mentioned. But please vent these refrigerators very well. They can leak there coolant gas and I believe Servel has recalled some.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote