Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
brk-lnt

Default A Ban on Aerial Photography in NH?

http://agbeat.com/business-news/aeri...ut-government/

Who elects these people?? We need to stop voting for lawmakers who do not understand basic concepts of technology or emerging concepts.

And, granting rights like this ONLY to the government is supposed to benefit the citizens HOW exactly? It's the government we should be worried about, not the guy having an aerial shot of his camp commissioned.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
surfnsnow

i agree . it's frustrating. when will we see our people become aware of government intrusion.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
RailroadJoe

Has anyone beside me and the Weirs time personel read the book Atlas Shrugged. Now a movie (2 parts) and describes what is happening to the USA now.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Acrossamerica

The only good thing about that law will be that when a drone circles your private protected air space above your home or other land you will know you are not shooting down some innocent private drone.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
pops

Who is John Galt? Most of our fellow citizens/subjects are asleep at the wheel.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
ITD

I don't know if this falls within the state jurisdiction, as the FAA usually controls airspace, not to mention first amendment issues. I don't understand the issue here, although I do have an issue with drones flying overhead....
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
songkrai (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I don't know if this falls within the state jurisdiction, as the FAA usually controls airspace, not to mention first amendment issues. I don't understand the issue here, although I do have an issue with drones flying overhead....
I have an issue also.

Nothing to do with pictures.

But all to do with wasted taxpayers money.

We already have state police airplanes with paid pilots and mechanics. We already have state police helicopters with paid pilots and mechanics.

Now we have free (your tax dollars) drones. Who also require state funded pilots and state funded mechanics.

There is an 18 trillion dollar deficit. Everyone states to cut waste, fraud, and abuse. But few view this as any of that. Spend. Spend. Spend.

It's your tax dollars.
The Following User Says Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
LakeSnake

We all need to read up on some of these things. Big brother is getting very intrusive and does not, I am affraid, have the best of intentions.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Justenuff

Default Farther Reaching than Drones?

Wow, I thought that the politicians in Washington were disconnected!
I certainly hope that everyone in NH gets behind stopping this legislation.
It certainly is a violation of your freedom. How many people have used Google Maps to check out their property from above? (I have)
If it is illegal to take pictures from above, pretty soon it will illegal to take any pictures on the ground.
What's the difference?
(PS. I do think that we need discussion about the possibility of drones overhead. The government knows too much already)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Belmont Resident

Default It is what you do not know about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justenuff View Post
Wow, I thought that the politicians in Washington were disconnected!
I certainly hope that everyone in NH gets behind stopping this legislation.
It certainly is a violation of your freedom. How many people have used Google Maps to check out their property from above? (I have)
If it is illegal to take pictures from above, pretty soon it will illegal to take any pictures on the ground.
What's the difference?
(PS. I do think that we need discussion about the possibility of drones overhead. The government knows too much already)
When I was in the Air Force there was a saying, if the public knows about a top secret plane, boat, etc then they know because the government allows it and that is only because there is something we do not know about replacing it.
GsChinadoll (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
Pineedles

Such a silly bill! Honestly, if you don't like drones flying overhead there is a solution.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-27-2013), DRH (02-27-2013), Electric man (02-27-2013), trfour (02-28-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
gokart-mozart

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
http://agbeat.com/business-news/aeri...ut-government/

Who elects these people?? We need to stop voting for lawmakers who do not understand basic concepts of technology or emerging concepts.

And, granting rights like this ONLY to the government is supposed to benefit the citizens HOW exactly? It's the government we should be worried about, not the guy having an aerial shot of his camp commissioned.
Doesn't anyone remember what happened the LAST time Democrats took over the State?

They exist to turn on the regulation firehose. They've just started.

Mandatory drug testing for hospital workers, for example. Does anybody believe it will stop there?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
RailroadJoe

gocart-mozart I belive a republican was initiating the bill
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
Pineedles

You are right RJ, bad apples in every party.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
Doesn't anyone remember what happened the LAST time Democrats took over the State?

They exist to turn on the regulation firehose. They've just started.

Mandatory drug testing for hospital workers, for example. Does anybody believe it will stop there?
Yup, just incredible....next thing you know, they will require mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Onshore

The sponsor is a really conservative republican. The issue that prompted this bill was protect of privacy from nosy neighbors and possible "stalker types." Originally this was not about government. I believe if you pull the bill language (hb619) you will note that an amendment was added to preserve the current abilities of law enforcement. Law enforcement, or government, was not part of the original bill structure and purpose, but as will happen once people start discussing a bill they realize it has effects that had not originally thought of when it was introduced. This is part of the process and the number of bills that are discussed and moved to study or voted inexpedient to legislate shows that the process does allow rational thought to prevail more often than not.

I remember reading quite some time ago that there were concerns about the fact that "drones," which could include an RC helicopter outfitted with a camera, are very cheap and easy to obtain and that they were now within the means of individuals that might use them to harass, intimidate, or extort others. I suspect this was an attempt to get ahead of the curve on this issue and not one with nefarious purposes. If nothing else it will call attention to an issue that should cause one pause if one were to actually give it a bit of thought.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
Natt (02-28-2013), Pontoon Goon (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

NH has the largest House of Rep in the USA, 400 members. Using the 10% rule, about 40 are off the wall, some from each party. With each member feeling a need to introduce a bill of some sorts, some really weird stuff gets filed every year. Most of which, thankfully, never makes it out of committee.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #18
PaugusBayFireFighter

Maybe a good example of why a crusty representative shouldn't be in office for 27 years?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Electric man (02-27-2013), gillygirl (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
Billy Bob

Default Hot air balloon

Guess this will stop us from taking pictures from our RE/MAX ballon
And used hot air balloons are hard to sell
Old 02-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore things View Post
The sponsor is a really conservative republican. The issue that prompted this bill was protect of privacy from nosy neighbors and possible "stalker types." Originally this was not about government. I believe if you pull the bill language (hb619) you will note that an amendment was added to preserve the current abilities of law enforcement. Law enforcement, or government, was not part of the original bill structure and purpose, but as will happen once people start discussing a bill they realize it has effects that had not originally thought of when it was introduced. This is part of the process and the number of bills that are discussed and moved to study or voted inexpedient to legislate shows that the process does allow rational thought to prevail more often than not.

I remember reading quite some time ago that there were concerns about the fact that "drones," which could include an RC helicopter outfitted with a camera, are very cheap and easy to obtain and that they were now within the means of individuals that might use them to harass, intimidate, or extort others. I suspect this was an attempt to get ahead of the curve on this issue and not one with nefarious purposes. If nothing else it will call attention to an issue that should cause one pause if one were to actually give it a bit of thought.
I did read through the bill, and there was also a fairly lengthy discussion about it on another tech website I participate in.

Among the overall silliness of it (if you fly over NH on your way in or out of MHT will get you to jail if you take a pic with your cellphone?) I have concerns with things like this that restrict things from the people, and grant them only to law enforcement.

This seems like a bill that is either drafted by a very clueless individual, or drafted in excess for purposes of attention and to whittle it down to a concession, which would seem reasonable in relation to the original bill, but still excessive in relation to current standards.

Also, there are FAA laws already about aerial devices that make this bill mostly redundant anyway.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #21
Onshore

I understand what you are saying about this bill as it exists today. I completely agree that it would be foolish to make it illegal to take a picture from a commercial flight coming or going from any airport in NH. Think about small plane or balloon charter flights. Are we going to tell tourists not to take pictures? That issue alone should kill this thing.

That said I think the availability of drones and what they can allow people to do, whether those people are private individuals, government, or corporate, is worth having a serious discussion about. Perhaps we don't fully understand the issue. If that is the case, then certainly we should not attempt to regulate what we do not understand. But if this bill serves to bring the topic out for serious discussion and increase awareness then it will have been worthwhile. Hopefully this will be one of those times when rational thought prevails.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #22
Happy Gourmand

If they are concerned with stalking and invasion of privacy, maybe they could have this apply to unmanned flights only, that is, radio controlled drones.
But even that is an invasion to our rights.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Yup, just incredible....next thing you know, they will require mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients!!!
That was just ruled unconstitutional by a Federal appeals court. Goes against unwarranted search and seizure. Sort of like being groped by the TSA to be able to fly or having a drug test to get a private sector job. All depends who has the "favored" status. It would appear the welfare class is more favored these days.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #24
sir james

Thumbs down

Ridiculous
Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #25
Rusty

I’ll bet that most members of this forum who live in NH can’t name the County District or Ward that they are in and also who is their State Representative/s or State Senator.

Without looking them up, can anyone name their State Representative/s and State Senator and the district and ward that they are in?

How about their voting record or their education? What Bills has your representative sponsored?

IMHO we only know about the most controversial Bills that the media puts in the news. Then we think we know it all and in reality we know very little about them.
gillygirl (02-28-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #26
Pineedles

I can't name my rep. because I don't reside in NH, I just pay the same property taxes that residents pay, but for those who do live there isn't it about time you consider reducing the size of your State Congressional representation? Cut it to 1/8 the size and pay these people a living wage, with no pension in order to get hem focused on what is really important to the people of New Hampshire. I mean Rusty's comment has to hit home for many of you doesn't it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Rusty (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #27
NoBozo

I suggest that ALL Liberals/Democrats be "Chipped" so we can keep track of them ...like our Pets.. NB
Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #28
Puck

So you want us to pay them to screw with our lives?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #29
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I can't name my rep. because I don't reside in NH, I just pay the same property taxes that residents pay, but for those who do live there isn't it about time you consider reducing the size of your State Congressional representation? Cut it to 1/8 the size and pay these people a living wage, with no pension in order to get hem focused on what is really important to the people of New Hampshire. I mean Rusty's comment has to hit home for many of you doesn't it?
That would be a major mistake. Why they want to stay in Concord more than they used way back in the 50's is beyond me. Then they came to Concord every two years for about 6 weeks did the people's business balanced a budget and went home. Now they are there every day tweeking this and that. At least with the thundering herd little gets done and as the saying oges we are only truly safe when government is in recess.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:30 AM   #30
gillygirl

Default No groping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
Sort of like being groped by the TSA to be able to fly or having a drug test to get a private sector job.
They don't grope you, they "touch you with the back of my hand." I thought my husband was going to have a coronary.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #31
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Two things: I agree we are better off when ALL politicans are in recess, from local to state to federal. We have so many laws already, they don't know what half of them are. Second, if drug testing infringes on the privacy of welfare people, what about truck drivers and many others who already are required to be tested???? Doesn't it infringe on their privacy too?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #32
CrownRay

Hmm. Loosing the fight on guns, so lets go after something else stupid! Classic.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #33
ITD

You can buy a radio controlled helicopter with a digital camera for about $100 at the Pheasant Lane Mall. These are very easy to fly and I suppose could be used to spy on your neighbors, but could probably be taken out with a garden hose........
Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #34
Grandpa Redneck

Default I know mine

Rusty, you may be right that the majority dont know who their reps are, but I believe there are a good amount that do, My Reps this term are Susan Ford, and Linda Lauer, my state Senator is Jeanie Forrester. Last term my Reps were Ladd and Paul Ingbretson, with Forester still as Senator
Pineedles (02-28-2013), Rusty (02-28-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #35
camp guy

Default A Ban on Aerial Photography in NH

Truly, this is frivolous, it really is.

In my mind I have a question I am having trouble annunciating, but the gist of the question is simple: When did everything accelerate to warp speed? It seems that any issue that surfaces crashes through the plane of reality like a missle on a mission. Whatever happened to taking a giant step back (not backward in the usual sense, but just back to create breathing room), and then actually discussing an issue in a civil manner?? (By the way, I am not making any reference to this Forum, but more specifically to the life style of our government and leaders.)

Everybody wants to sue everybody else; there are thousands of laws on the books right now and legislators want to add volumes more; we are regulated to within an inch of our own lives, and I see more coming all the time, maybe down to 1/2 inch of our own lives.

Whatever happened to compromise, whatever happened to playing fair with other people, whatever happened to civility???

At the rate we are going, we will all be walking around with nuclear-tipped walking sticks just waiting to take out whomever doesn't agree with us; or, worse yet, phaser/taser/laser rings able to zap someone and only dissable them (just to teach them a lesson).

I know I am sounding a little paranoid, but "road rage" escalates to "shopping cart rage" which escalates to "being in line in the grocery store rage" and so forth and so forth.

For me, live your own life, stay, basically out of my space, and I will respect you and appreciate you all the more.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #36
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Never happen. Who would enforce it. The Drone Police? How would you prove who took the picture? Every cell phone out now has a camera in it. What next, Stop people from taking any picture? Would someone in a tall building taking a picture of downtown Manchester be arrested? What if I took a picture while I was skydiving? Would the space station have to stop taking pictures of the US because NH was in it? I wouldn't worry about it. I'd worry about why we need those 400 representatives.