Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-22-2006, 02:08 AM   #1
laurelhameon

Default Winnemont Girls!! '62 - ' 63

Hi Winnemonters,
I went to that wonderful camp in... '62 and '63 - that was the very last year that the camp was going to exist and we were all devastated!! Were anyone of you who are reading this message there at that time??? Did you weep your eyes out at that thought of no longer participating in the camp activities each year?
Well I sure did . I was known as Lollie at that time and was about 14 years old and my very best friend who introduced me to this camp was Ziggy --- if anyone went to camp at that time they would know Ziggy. Funny, active, interested, sporty, and yes... always kept us laughing.
Anybody know? W I N N E M O N T, BOOOM ! Winnemont, dear Winnemont, we do love you! Best of all other camps la la la la la. ??
or FLEA! flea, FLEA FLY! flea fly, DA VICE DAY! Da vice day, Ach a kach a ... etc ???
Would love love love to hear from anyone who knows this period in Winnemont! Best to you all, A true WINNEMONT girl at heart, Lollie Kristiansen (now Laurel)
laurelhameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
Thirsty

Laurel,
As you may have read on a previous post. Peggy and I are restoring a 1931, 25 foot Old Town War Canoe, owned by the Camp. We are interested in the Camps' history, articles, stories, photos, (especially of the canoe). We will share any info we receive with you if you would like.
Dave & Peggy Davidson
Thirsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Wyanoker

I hope this thread hasn't grown stale. I just found it after Googling Winnemont.

Those cheers and songs from Laurel reminded me of some long-ago memories. This from my Mom, a Winnemonter in the '30s (Catherine Kreider, now deceased):

Oh I'm a hayseed
My hair is seaweed
And my ears are made of leather
And they flop in rainy weather.
Gosh-a-hemlock
Tough as a pine knot
I'm from Winnemont you see.

Anybody remember that one? And Miss Baldwin?

Remember the Wyanoke/Winnemont dances back in the early 60s? I may have met, or even danced with some of you. If you've ever been at one of those dances, you might recall the absolutely overpowering smell of Noxema and Burma Shave shaving cream and gallons of Old Spice and Brut. I don't think a lot of that saving cream was really necessary now that I think of it. In any case, that's the best our bathroom/shower room below the Chapel ("the Pines") smelled all summer.

I should Google Winnemont more often. Please visit Camp Wyanoke if the mood strikes you. We're at Wyanoke.com. Winnemonters are always welcome, of course.

Wyanoke closed in '75, and we guys were just as devastated. We were fortunate to have the additional 12 years.

Oh and Dave (Thirsty), I have some good super 8mm footage of the Wyanoke Blue-Gray War Canoe races we had after chapel every Sunday morning. If you're interested in some of those clips, I will digitize them into AVI files or DVD and would be happy to send them to you. You can contact me through the link at the top of this post.
Wyanoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
Mainer4

Default Camp Winnemont to Camp Moy Mo Da Yo

Hi. I am in contact with a former camper at Winnemont, Nancy Leete (Known as Jody), not sure what her maiden name was though. We are in planning for a reunion and 100th anniversary of Camp Moy Mo Da Yo's founding in 1907. The camp was located in Limington, Maine and Jody was a counselor there from 1967 to it's closing in 1972. If you would like to get in touch with her, let me know and I could forward your email address. Don't know when exactly she attended Winnemont, but must have been in the early 60's.

I find a great sense of loss talking to all the former campers of Moy Mo, which also closed unexpectedly and suddenly. There is nothing left of the former camp which is especially sad as they are planning on having the reunion at the old camp's site.

Regards
Howard Allen
Limington, Maine
Mainer4 is offline   Reply With Quote