Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
aquabones

Default St John's of the Lake

I just discovered this church on Bear Island from one of my hiking groups. There doesn't seem to be many docks so I'm wondering how do most people get to the church in the summer?
Does anyone on the forum use the nondenominational church during the summer months?
The church was locked up today --I was told they keep it locked when there is no service because of vandals. I would love to see the inside.
Has anyone used the trails around the church.
aquabones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
lfm

Its been a few years since we've visited St. Johns's. We had visited when we were renting a place on the lake for a week. We didn't have any problem docking; there were a few boats, but I think most of the congregation at the church were Bear Islanders. For what its worth, it was a very welcoming church, and very uplifting. I think we had the same vacation week as the visiting pastor, because I think we had the same pastor 3 years in a row.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Bear Island South

There is some good history of Bear island in this thread.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4613

You can spend the better part of a day exploring the trail system on the island.
If you are in to Geocaching, there are 3 to find.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
surfnsnow

I've lived here most of my life, and this is the first I've heard of this church. what a great place to live
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Bear Guy

While a large number of people attending the church come from Bear, there are also many "regulars" and visitors who come from surrounding islands and the mainland. True, there are only a few docks on the church property, but several neighbors and on-island board members happily share dock space on Sunday mornings.
http://stjohnsonthelake.org/
As a Bear Islander, I've spent many hours wandering the island.
And to put it succinctly, I've been heavily involved in the church my whole life.
Bear Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
cee65

Default Beautiful church

I have good friends on Bear Island who have over the years invited this Georgia girl up to visit with them at their cabin. We've walked to the church on my visits there more than once and it is a lovely, lovely setting. Seems to me I recall there is a place that people can dock their boats and then walk the trail to the church. It is a beautiful church and wonderful visit. I know services are only held during the summer time on Sundays. Other than that, it is locked during the week. Hope you get a chance to see it again.
cee65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #7
aquabones

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee65 View Post
I have good friends on Bear Island who have over the years invited this Georgia girl up to visit with them at their cabin. We've walked to the church on my visits there more than once and it is a lovely, lovely setting. Seems to me I recall there is a place that people can dock their boats and then walk the trail to the church. It is a beautiful church and wonderful visit. I know services are only held during the summer time on Sundays. Other than that, it is locked during the week. Hope you get a chance to see it again.
I hope to visit on a Sunday next summer. I'm hoping that there will be a dock space since I don;t know anyone on the island.
aquabones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabones View Post
I hope to visit on a Sunday next summer. I'm hoping that there will be a dock space since I don;t know anyone on the island.
We are occasional visitors to the church from the mainland in Moultonborough. Last summer (2013) we were lucky enough to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary with a renewal of our vows at the Catholic Mass.

We've always gotten a space on the dock; one time we did tie another boat up to ours, and we also keep in mind that someone may have to drop off the rest of the folks and then them pick up after Mass.