Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
Winnigirl83

Default Fratello's

Went to Fratello's for dinner tonight. The food was excellent.

We got there around 5:30 and were seated immediately. By the time we left, the downstairs tables were all full (don't know about upstairs, but we saw people continually going up). Our waitress wasn't as helpful/friendly as I would like (for example we had to ask about the specials, she didn't clear the dirty salad plates before serving our meal), but still the food and atmosphere were great.

I haven't been here in a while and am really glad we went in. If you're in the mood for Italian food with decent prices, Fratello's should be your destination.

P.S.
I haven't been to the Homestead (same owners) in years, you can bet I'll be headed that way soon!
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnigirl83 For This Useful Post:
ironhorsetim (09-12-2008)
Old 09-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
ironhorsetim

Thumbs up I agree

We have been there a few times this summer, and the food is very good, the prices are some of the lowest in the area (for Italian food) and being brought up in an Italian household my tastebuds are always searching(unless I'm cookin)for that just like mama use to make food

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
brk-lnt

We love Fratellos, but tend to go there more in the off-season. Probably have only eaten in the dining room 3 or 4 times, but many many Friday nights have been made more pleasurable with some takeout from Fratellos.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
jrc

I haven't been there in years, my wife always says we are under dressed. Will we feel comfortable in there in jeans or shorts?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I haven't been there in years, my wife always says we are under dressed. Will we feel comfortable in there in jeans or shorts?
Yes, absolutely. I've worn jeans there without feeling underdressed at all.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
ironhorsetim

Default dress code

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
The dress code there is normal lakes region attire....shirts and shoes ....oh ya and pants of some sort

If common sense was common everyone would have it !

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
jetskier

Post No worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Yes, absolutely. I've worn jeans there without feeling underdressed at all.

I go there in shorts and a baseball cap (plus Patriots jersey). No matter how dressed down you are...you won't feel out of place.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
Waterbaby

Default Owned by Homestead?

Does anyone know when Fratello's became a part of the Homestead "chain"? I remember when Fratello's first opened in Paugus Bay, in an old bank building..... building renovation was lovely, food and service left a lot to be desired, but that's history now. Then there was a Fratello's in Manchester, and then one in Lincoln.......... is the one in Manchester still there? And has anyone eaten in the one in Lincoln?

But back to my original question..........Does anyone know when Fratello's became a part of the Homestead "chain"? I'd appreciate some really factual answers, rather than suppositions, as I'm very curious how/when that happened.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
NHKathy

Default Yum !

I agree - LOVE Fratello's !
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
Does anyone know when Fratello's became a part of the Homestead "chain"? I remember when Fratello's first opened in Paugus Bay, in an old bank building..... building renovation was lovely, food and service left a lot to be desired, but that's history now. Then there was a Fratello's in Manchester, and then one in Lincoln.......... is the one in Manchester still there? And has anyone eaten in the one in Lincoln?

But back to my original question..........Does anyone know when Fratello's became a part of the Homestead "chain"? I'd appreciate some really factual answers, rather than suppositions, as I'm very curious how/when that happened.

From this site (see last paragraph): http://www.homesteadnh.com/About%20Main.HTM

[snip!]

The Homestead concept was created in 1978 by William and Carolyn McDonough when they transformed a 1788 farm house in Bristol, New Hampshire into the Homestead Restaurant and Lounge. The original restaurant had three dining rooms which made up the ground level rooms of the old colonial each with its own fireplace. The kitchen and lounge where additions to the building and serve the same purpose today. Over the first decade, two additional dining rooms were added to accommodate the high demand in the summer tourist season.
In 1988, William and Carolyn withdrew from the family business leaving it in the hands of their four sons. The McDonough brothers, in 1990 acquired a similar 1810 colonial in the town of Londonderry, New Hampshire. The Homestead concept was a perfect fit. After exhaustive renovations, the Homestead Restaurant of Londonderry was opened with its seven dining rooms and a cocktail lounge. It quickly became a local favorite and continues to service the southern New Hampshire region today.

The McDonough brothers didn't stop there. In 1992 they created a new concept called Fratellos Ristorante Italiano with locations in Laconia, Lincoln and Manchester, NH. Please visit www.fratellos.com to learn more.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #11
Waterbaby

Default Thank you!

The McDonough brothers didn't stop there. In 1992 they created a new concept called Fratellos Ristorante Italiano with locations in Laconia, Lincoln and Manchester, NH. Please visit www.fratellos.com to learn more.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I never knew that! Thanks, AW!
Old 09-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
Cristen

Thumbs up

The food is Fratello's is very good, and you can absolutely wear jeans. It does get very crowded during the busy season, but is worth the wait (especially if you grab some drinks at the bar).
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:25 AM   #13
Webbsatwinni

Last night we took everyone's advice and tried Fratello's and is it was great. We called for reservations, they said we didn't need one and we also asked if there was any place to dock as it was a nice night for a boat ride. They said they had an agreement with Lakeport Landing to use their docks for a few hours during dinner.

So off we went and we did find a spot a Lakeport (I wouldn't count on this on a busy night) and after a short walk past all of the big boats at Lakeport (that was fun), we were there.

The wait staff was attentive and friendly, the food was good and the prices were more than fair, we would recommend it!

As for attire, we went in shorts, shirts and flip flops (we did call and ask if this was ok) and were not out of place. It appeared that how ever you dress will be accepted.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #14
Argie's Wife

I recommend their 'Parties To Go' menu, too. The food is excellent and affordable - and you don't have to spend all day cooking it. We use their catering service at work frequently and it's consistently good and ready on time.

(I'm a total snob when it comes to Italian food (my dad was a chef), so it has to be GOOD. Fratello's is one of the few Italian restaurants I like!)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Also.....there are no nicer people on the planet than the McDonough brothers.Hardworking,care about their employees and always willing to help someone out,even a total stranger.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #16
NHKathy

Default Love fratello's!

Anybody know if Fratello's has the butternut squash raviolli on the menu for this fall?
I had it 2 years ago - and all I can say is YUMMM
I'll be up this weekend, and I'd love to have it again!
Thanks!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #17
Dave M

If you like the butternut squash raviolli, try Lago's. We always get that has an appertizer when we stop in for a drink. Trouble is there's not enough of them. I think you can get a dinner of them though.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #18
trfour

Thumbs up Oh Yes!

Contemplating the menu on many an enjoyable occasion!
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #19
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Thumbs up

I have driven by this place many, many times and just never stopped in. My folks used to go on a yearly basis back when they were still up for the long trek to N.H. and always raved about it. Anyway, finally checked Fratello's out this past week-end and I was very impressed. Selection, food quality, extensive menu , atmosphere (I loved the fountain!) and attentive service. There was even live music up in the lounge with a guitarist who was a mix of James Taylor, Neil Young and Van Morrison!
It gets the (drumroll) "mcdude seal of approval"!!!!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #20
mets3007

Fratello's is a nice place but the time we went there the waiters kept staring at us like we were going to steal something, it just turned us off and we never went back the food was good though.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #21
Boston Fireguy

Default Fratello's

The chicken parm is some of the best in the area. And it's interesting to see the old vault being used as the 'wine cellar'.
Boston Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #22
john60ri

Default Fratellos!

Glad to see all the positive comments about Fratellos. Great place! We go there every year. I would suggest you try to get a table upstairs or in the sun room. Table for two by the bar is nice. The first floor dining area is kind of boring.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #23
Just Sold

Went to Fratello's a few weeks ago and it was great. The "Sun Room" was perfect. Fratello's Manchester location is great as well.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #24
trfour

Thumbs up Sun Room Entrance Pictured To The Right...

I know how y'all love pictures.
In post # 18 in this thread. Friends, Family and I have been enjoying Fratello's since the early 90s.
Y'All can find a message in another ealier thread posted here back in 2006, post # 4. http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...2254#post42254

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #25
spider22

My family and I have been going to Fratello's for one night on vacation in August for 3 or 4 years now. We have always have had a great meal and the atmosphere is great. The kids love the create your own pizza.
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

from the Daily Sun

Quote:
LACONIA — Twenty-two years after the red brick landmark in Lakeport that last housed Indian Head Bank became Fratello's Italian Grille the restaurant is about to undergo a change.
Chris McDonough, who with his brothers Mark and Mike owns the restaurant and its companion in Manchester, presented plans to the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) this week to replace the solarium with an indoor dining room and add an outdoor deck. He told the board that the solarium has become difficult to heat in the winter and cool in the summer and demand for outdoor dining in the warmer months has grown.
The 740-square-foot solarium will be replaced with an enclosed room of the same dimension, crowned by a tower with a faux copper roofed tower overlooking Union Avenue. The deck, with 575 square feet of space, will line the north side of the building, above the main entrance.
This week the ZBA unanimously granted the variance required to extend the deck into the setback from Union Avenue, but the deck will be no nearer to Union Ave. than the existing building.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Phantom (09-18-2014)
Old 10-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #27
8gv

Default Lunch...

Heading for Concord, Wifey and I stopped by at Fratello's to have lunch this past Tuesday.

It was a split second decision that occured when the light at Union and Elm was red. Our car was positioned to either wait out the light or turn into their parking lot.

WE CHOSE WISELY!

Fratello's is our place for great food and service (sometimes piano as well) at dinner time. The prices are reasonable but because I usually pay the dinner check for a party of five to ten, my wallet was apprehensive about lunch.

While checking out the menu Wifey said "look, they have a quick service lunch menu on the back."

I couldn't believe the prices! It's a steal of a deal!

We had:

Us...bread sticks with oo and butter

Wifey...salad and Sicilian Sausage Soup

Me...Fish Chowder and the BEST BLT EVER!

The check came to $16. With tip I paid $20.

Here's a list of places that would likely have cost us more:

Friendly's
Panera Bread
Moe's
Chipotle
Pizzeria Uno
Tilton Diner
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #28
Winnisquamer

Although I agree and actually love Fratello's and think they have great food and like it even more that they added on the new indoor/outdoor addition upstairs, I must say I was at Chipotle yesterday for lunch and got 2 burritos, chips with 2 different salsas and 2 drinks with 2 refills with no tip was $17.45

So I can't say its cheaper at all. Quality of the food maybe better at Fratello's but I have never left Chipotle saying I could eat more or I am still hungry.

I will say I am a sucker for Italian food more then Mexican so I would rather have Fratellos any day of the week.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #29
8gv

I have only visited Chipotle in high priced CT. I stand corrected on the comparison.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #30
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

I can't believe I'm commenting on this, BUT the food WAS cheaper--it was the service that cost more. Just saying.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Reilly (11-02-2015), secondcurve (11-01-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #31
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I have only visited Chipotle in high priced CT. I stand corrected on the comparison.
ahhh classic CT. I wish we had a few Chipotles up here. Sadly I only get to have it when I am in Mass for either work or visiting family.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #32
Greene's Basin Girl

We just went to Chipotle's last week in Boca Raton. It was quite good. It was our first time there.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #33
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Chipotles in NH...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
ahhh classic CT. I wish we had a few Chipotles up here. Sadly I only get to have it when I am in Mass for either work or visiting family.
Per their website, there are three locations in NH: Newington, Manchester and Bedford. Here is a link.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylc...%3Amy%2Cm%3Asb
Old 11-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #34
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Per their website, there are three locations in NH: Newington, Manchester and Bedford. Here is a link.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylc...%3Amy%2Cm%3Asb
There is also one in Nashua.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #35
dave603

Actually there's two of them in Nashua now.
One near the Pheasant lane Mall, the other is on Amherst St.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #36
Winnisquamer

Probably one of the only chains I want to come up this far north. The local burrito places just do it for me around here.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:45 AM   #37
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post
Actually there's two of them in Nashua now.
One near the Pheasant lane Mall, the other is on Amherst St.
I don't know about the one at Pheasant lane, but the other is on Main Street, not Amherst Street.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #38
dave603

LOL, I didn't know about the one on Main St.
So there's three in Nashua. The one on Amherst is across from Market Basket.
The one NEAR Pheasant Lane is to the right of Barnes and Noble.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #39
SIKSUKR

Not sure what you guys are looking at but their website shows 2 Nashua locations,1 on Amherst st and 1 on the DW but not at the Pheasant Lane Mall.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #40
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Not sure what you guys are looking at but their website shows 2 Nashua locations,1 on Amherst st and 1 on the DW but not at the Pheasant Lane Mall.
What's the phrase I've seen in other threads? "Pictures please...if no picture, it doesn't exist. "

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #41
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Not sure where the Amherst St info comes from, they are at 194 Main St, corner of East Pearl St where Villa Banca was, in the Odd Fellows Building.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #42
Pine Island Guy

Default who's on first?!?!

The original Fratellos thread turned into a Chipotle thread... hence the address confusion of where the restaurants are in Nashua...

Fratellos is on Main St in the old Villa Banca location...

Chipotle is both on Amherst St and in the strip mall at Exit 1 diagonally behind Barnes & Noble (next to TD Bank)...

Hope this helps! -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #43
Greene's Basin Girl

Chipotle is temporarily closing 43 stores in Washington and Oregon due to an E. Coli breakout.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #44
Pine Island Guy

Default side comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
Chipotle is temporarily closing 43 stores in Washington and Oregon due to an E. Coli breakout.
I heard they are changing their name to Chipooptle until it 'passes'...

It is a beautiful day at the lake!! -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pine Island Guy For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (11-03-2015), rander7823 (11-04-2015), Redwing (11-03-2015)