Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Gas prices going up...up...up....

Up to $2.73 in Wolfeboro. Yet still at $2.55 in Manchester. Almost a $.20 per gallon difference up here. Time to park the truck again and start driving my little car.

I am editing this to include that Skellys went to $2.75. From $2.65.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
wifi

Wonder if I can rent a tanker truck to fill up in Manchester and have FLL drive it up here for only forum members?

Enquiring minds want to know...

I filled up at Skelly's today, before reading this, and the ethanol fumes really stood out this time!
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Pineedles

OMG, you guys are around ripoff Connecticut prices! The Dems really have taken over the State of NH.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
Lakesrider

Wifi. Well actually you can. You can call Sprague Energy and order a load of gasoline at any time. You just need a place to put it. Now how about calling Robs Gas depot and making a deal..... Now that would be an idea. Having a private gas club.....Hmmmm.....
Old 01-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
dpg

At least 3.00 all spring and summer again. Wonder what it costs to get a large delivery of hundreds or a thousand gallons?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
At least 3.00 all spring and summer again. Wonder what it costs to get a large delivery of hundreds or a thousand gallons?
Unfortunately with the gasoline formulations that we have now it would go bad before you could use it all ...unless you put in an additive like Stabil or Startron.

And you would need an extremely large plactic container!
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
hilltopper

Default Heating oil also...

I paid $2.50 for #2 heating oil mid November. Got some yesterday at $2.85. Demand is obviously going up, and the cold snap in the rest of the country isn't helping...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Natural gas

I'm glad I switch over to natural gas. LNG is plentiful right now. LNG futures are low. There was a study made by the petroleum industry that natural gas is a good source for the next 90 years. Folks should think about googling natural gas and plan accordingly.

Not only the cold snap is draining the supplies, India and China are getting off their bikes and buying cars thanks to our support. They are the future gas hogs.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
fatlazyless

...definately...put me behind the wheel of a big rig tanker and I'll be very happy to all grind up the gears while I fight the stick to get it in gear.....first right turn at a traffic light and I'll smack the curb, traffic signs, and whatever's there with the twin tires at the back of the trailer...those tires at 120-lbs pressure are like rolling death for whatever gets n their way....most all bad truck drivers do not get a second chance......they get fired fast....

...just tried to get a job driving a residential trash truck for Waste Management- New Hampton who had been advertising for inexperienced cdl drivers as a trainee....and submitted a 45-minute internet job interview with 35 thought-provoking, multiple choice questions designed by an industrial-psychologist...and just got e-mailed a negative reply wishing me good luck with my success in finding a job to match my job skills....could be my age, 58, scared them off....never know?

Waste Management is the largest trash hauler-recycler in the country and has the 6th largest fleet of trucks in the world, according to them, so they probably know pretty well what they are doing?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
Argie's Wife

Paid $2.649/gal yesterday for #2 heating oil from CN Brown. I'm w/ Our Town Energy CoOp and found the "rack plus" price that Eastern was offering to be more than ten cents/gal HIGHER than CN Brown's price.

Talking w/ friends last night in Texas and Missouri last night - it's warmer in NH than it is where they are. They're closing schools all week because of the extremely cold temps. I'm sure heating oil, etc., is in very high demand.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Jonas Pilot

Default Different prices...

... across New Hampshire, Vermont and New York. I drove to Oneonta and back this week. When I left Tuesday prices around town were $2.69. In W. Chesterfield, NH $2.77. Bennington VT $2.74, Troy NY $2.82 to $2.92, Oneonta $2.87. All probably higher today. All prices regular.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #12
dpg

LakesRider might be on to something in theory. Get a large number of people, buy a couple thousand of gallons at a time and then the "club" buys it at cost. Of course storing it, pumping it and other issues may be a problem.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
ITD

Quote:
LakesRider might be on to something in theory. Get a large number of people, buy a couple thousand of gallons at a time and then the "club" buys it at cost. Of course storing it, pumping it and other issues may be a problem.
Just dig a hole in your back yard and line it with some plastic sheeting. A $10 drill pump and some garden hoses and you're in business.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

Talking w/ friends last night in Texas and Missouri last night - it's warmer in NH than it is where they are. They're closing schools all week because of the extremely cold temps. I'm sure heating oil, etc., is in very high demand.
Not likely from Texas. Much more use of heat pumps and naturals gas down there. The Northeast is the heating oil hog.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
corollaman

That's why I drive a Toyota Corolla. I still only pay under $30 for a tankful, whereas if I had a large vehicle, like a Yukon or Excursion I would be filling it up TWICE a week, at 100 bucks a tank.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #16
John A. Birdsall

Default Gas prices

We had an article in the Norwich Bulletin, (CT) some guy was complaining that the prices of gas has been frozen at 2.799 for a month. Well that guy should be shot. The price went to 2.849 this morning. He got his change.

I got my gas tanks in the back of my truck for the boat. I will fill up enroute to the cottage either in Manchester NH or chesterfield. but I still gotta wait till MAY. When is ICE OUT???

I do not understand why all water isn't frozen, we are here in CT. In a month I gonna take a trip to the lake so I can warm up.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default The news

I hear in the news that Chinese demand for oil have increase. The reason oil prices are up.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #18
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I hear in the news that Chinese demand for oil have increase. The reason oil prices are up.
Yep. Instead of buying more expensive electronics and housewares made in US factories made by you and me, we get them on the cheap from Asia.

In return, we pay more at the pump. They get jobs, infrastructure, and a higher living of standard. We just pay more to fill-up.

I need to find it but I read a finance magazine that quotes something like $0.60 of every gallon is due to rapidly increasing demand in China alone. Punchline: You aren't really getting that DVD player on the cheap.

I've travel to Asia and watch it evolving with my own eyes and it's not fun to see how we're selling our souls as corporations chase made-up numbers every quarter. It will probably cause me to die young because I'm a part of it and it bothers me to my core.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #19
fatlazyless

Used to be, everyone in China got around by walking or pedaling a bicycle. Now, more & more Chinese can afford cars; some top earners just love their luxury Buicks.

As there's less gasoline for world-wide use, and fewer jobs in the US, more and more americans will be junking their old worn out cars when they need a too expensive engine repair like a timing chain and just getting by with walking or maybe pedaling a Chinese made bicycle.

Just wait until General Motors comes out with a Pontiac brand bicycle that gets promo-ed " Feel the excitement - pedal a wide track bicycle - pedal a Pontiac!

And, the Pontiac bicycle that GM sells here in the US to poor americans will be made in......you guessed it......made in China!

The northern New Hampshire towns of Gorham, Berlin, Littleton, Whitefield, Lancaster, Colebrook, and Groveton have all lost their papers mills that had powered up their economy for the last 125 years. People up there have a tough time paying for heating oil and gasoline.

Traveling around up north, it takes you about two seconds to figure out that you are in a place that's very different from the lakes region. It takes about one hour to drive from Meredith to Littleton, and two hours to get to Groveton......it's like driving back maybe to the 1930's up there.....except they have a couple Wal-Marts.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-08-2010 at 10:55 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #20
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
......I've travel to Asia and watch it evolving with my own eyes and it's not fun to see how we're selling our souls as corporations chase made-up numbers every quarter. It will probably cause me to die young because I'm a part of it and it bothers me to my core.
Well said, I can't agree more (emphasis added)
Old 01-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #21
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Well said, I can't agree more (emphasis added)
Yep, according to Wall St, every publically traded company is required to predict the future. Chase. Predict. Chase. Predict. Go look at some stock prediction clips from August 08 for some fun. I'd like to see how some of them are doing now Oh wait, the government stepped into what is supposed to be a "free" market. Yep, we can print money for "free".
Aargh.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #22
Yosemite Sam

Google the price of gas in different countries and then tell me we are paying too much per gallon.

We are spoiled to the core in the good old USA!
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #23
fatlazyless

The U.S. Treasury and the Board of Directors of the Federal Reserve Board, "The Fed," are designed to be professional and non-political.

However, having the financial meltdown take place in August and September 2008, just one to two months before the November, 2008, presidential election, one definately should question the actions of Henry Paulsen and Tim Geitner. As director of the New York Federal Reserve board, home to Wall St and the country's banking center, was Tim Geitner taking orders from US Treasurer Henry Paulson, who was taking secret orders from the George Bush Whitehouse?

Having big long lines of scared people all lined up outside the thousands of local Bank of America, CitiBank, Wachovia, Wells Fargo and Washington Mutual branches, waiting outside to just get inside their bank to get all their money would not look too good in the newspapers or cable-tv.

With the presidential election just weeks away, could be the Whitehouse and the money-boys Paulsen & Geitner had a meeting of minds on what can they do to fix this fast, before the election, no matter how much it costs, it's got to be done.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #24
Sunbeam lodge

[QUOTE=Yosemite Sam;116015]Google the price of gas in different countries and then tell me we are paying too much per gallon.

[COLOR="White"].
It may be that the state and fed taxes in those countries are what drives up the price. They use that money to fund their infrastructure and roads Like the Autobahn. I couldn't agree more with the comments on China. They have just been awarded Huge mineral rights in Afghanistan while we do the fighting and spend billions to protect and train the security forces they need to protect their investment. Why do we feel that it is our obligation to protect the world, where is China, Russia and other large countries commitment in troops and wealth to protect the world. While we print money to cover our deficit these countries are increasing their standard of living while we do the heavy lifting. Watched on TV a single mother with one child struggling to get by and pay her bills on less than $1200 a month in this cold weather and wonder whether this affect's some Wall street banker who makes $20,000,000 a year.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #25
Lucky1

Default I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Google the price of gas in different countries and then tell me we are paying too much per gallon.

Greatest country on earth is USA! We do not know just how lucky we are in so many areas.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #26
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Greatest country on earth is USA! We do not know just how lucky we are in so many areas.

God Bless America!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #27
lawn psycho

Quote:

Waving old glory won't get us out of this one. I am fully aware of fuel prices in other countries. I travel overseas for work. I have personally seen the BILLIONS of dollars of manufacturing infrastructure in place overseas from American companies. Production was brought up to speed and the American plant was downsized. Que the National Anthem as I am sure that satisfied Wall St for a week or two. Perhaps Taps would be a more fitting melody.

So you know, the Chinese government subsidizes their countries fuel costs to control what their price is at the pump.
So are we as a country supposed to lay down and be happy about a commodity cost going up that directly impacts our economy? There's more too it than you can imagine. Patch-work of import/export tariffs for one. What those countries have for benefits like national healthcare, their population size, the amount of oil they produce, foreign currencies pegged to maintain net export value, yada, yda, yada.

Perhaps we should raise old glory as I am coming to believe protectionism is the only way to keep out standard of living. We are a consumer nation who are rapidly making less and less of our own goods.

Rome and Great Britian used to be supreme world powers not too long ago......

If you firmly believe in capitalism and reducing costs, then perhaps you should lobby your town boards to farm out your Town clerk's duties to a call center in India! It's the corporate way
Old 01-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #28
Lakesrider

Yes but in many eupropean countries there is much more mass transit. Trains Buses etc. They work closer to home. they certainly don't drive in bumper to bumper traffic for three hours each way. Also they take up to a month off for vacation.....
Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #29
fatlazyless

In about 2002, the Anna Lee doll factory in Meredith moved all its making of dolls to China.

In about 2002, the L C Packard wool mill in Ashland sold it wool material making machines to China. All that's left now in Ashland of the wool mill are the two very nice tennis courts, originally created by Mr L.. C. Packard who must have been a tennis player, himself.

In about 2009, Freudenberg-NOK closed its' Laconia plant that had employed about 130 making iso-elastic silicone injected, molded car parts. The plant buildng is now for sale.

On Dec 31 2007, after about 105 years of operation the Wasau paper mill in Groveton closed up.

There's a number of other paper & cardboard mills that have closed, up-north, in the past eight years.

For a lot of NH locals, the best jobs are working for the local town governments because the town budget are not really impacted by the local economy. The property tax has shown to be a solid, reliable source for town budgets for years.

Meanwhile, at the state level, the State of NH cannot say the same as the state's revenue collections are much more tied into the health of the state's economy. The state government is not funded by a property tax.

The state has no say in how much the towns pay their town employees, so why should the state be responsible for paying 35% of the town and local school employee pensions? Ditto that for the county pensions!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #30
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
In about 2002, the Anna Lee doll factory in Meredith moved all its making of dolls to China.

In about 2002, the L C Packard wool mill in Ashland sold it wool material making machines to China. All that's left now in Ashland of the wool mill are the two very nice tennis courts, originally created by Mr L.. C. Packard who must have been a tennis player, himself.

In about 2009, Freudenberg-NOK closed its' Laconia plant that had employed about 130 making iso-elastic silicone injected, molded car parts. The plant buildng is now for sale.

On Dec 31 2007, after about 105 years of operation the Wasau paper mill in Groveton closed up.

There's a number of other paper & cardboard mills that have closed, up-north, in the past eight years.

For a lot of NH locals, the best jobs are working for the local town governments because the town budget are not really impacted by the local economy. The property tax has shown to be a solid, reliable source for town budgets for years.

Meanwhile, at the state level, the State of NH cannot say the same as the state's revenue collections are much more tied into the health of the state's economy. The state government is not funded by a property tax.

The state has no say in how much the towns pay their town employees, so why should the state be responsible for paying 35% of the town and local school employee pensions? Ditto that for the county pensions!
I feel like chicken little some times. People in little towns with their head in the sand just sit back and figure it will all work itself out. What I see is the corporate structure has gotten us into a death spiral now that other economies are fast approaching ours.

As a result of our recent recession, US corporations, land, and real estate are now foreign owned or they own much larger shares of us

We need to stop the outflow of our technology and manufacturing infrastructure to other nations.

I have two friends who actually own bars in China once their contracts were up with a previous technology employer.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #31
Shedwannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
There are several reasons for the increase in oil prices.

1) Demand is increasing in countries that have improved standards of living. When 2 billion Chinese and Indian people want to live like 300 million Americans, that's a LOT of oil demand coming as their economies improve

2) Oil supply is not increasing. Whether or not you believe that Peak Oil has already occurred (I personally do), the stats show oil production worldwide has been level for most of a decade. Yes, new oil is being found - like the field 100 miles off the coast of Brazil. But that oil field will take a lot of effort to develop. I could write an essay on oil supply...

3) The US is the most INEFFICIENT user of energy. Whereas the average American produced 20.4 metric tons of Carbon Dioxide per capita (I'm using this as a way to measure energy use here), the average German citizen used 9.8 metric tons and the average Swiss person 5 5 metric tons. There are not many people (who have been there) who can argue the German and Swiss standard of living suffers for not using the same amount of energy that we use (or "waste")

So, in the long run, oil prices will be continuing to rise, especially as worldwide demand increases (much) faster than worldwide production.

I would suggest that the wise consider ways to make their lives more energy efficient. In NH, that would include using solar hot water (most efficient way to heat water - saves $1000+ a year in energy costs), solar electricity (with the Federal and State rebates, it is cheaper than electricity from the power company (assuming you get all day sun at your home), and highly energy efficient appliances.

Then, in terms of transportation, get a Prius (or better). My Prius is at 125,000 miles, and has averaged almost 50 mpg (maybe 48-49) over that time. Compare that to the average car of 20 mpg. I've used 2500 gallons instead of 6250, or a savings of 3750 gallons. At an average of $2.75 (remember, it was higher last year, and will get higher again) that's a savings of more than $10,300 in gas costs!!!
Shedwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #32
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post
Then, in terms of transportation, get a Prius (or better). My Prius is at 125,000 miles, and has averaged almost 50 mpg (maybe 48-49) over that time. Compare that to the average car of 20 mpg. I've used 2500 gallons instead of 6250, or a savings of 3750 gallons. At an average of $2.75 (remember, it was higher last year, and will get higher again) that's a savings of more than $10,300 in gas costs!!!

You forgot to deduct the premium you paid for that car over a conventional car. What unntil you have to replace the batteries and come talk to me about how much you "saved". The math doesn't add up or I would have bought a hybrid.
Your car is not very green by the way: http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/..._efficien.html

Totally agree on our energy consumption but a lot of it comes from our industrial base. As we continue to transfer it overseas, they'll surpass us many times over in consumption.

And they have traffic jams in Europe too but they work less days and have more nuclear energy.

I hope they build one right in Moultonborough on Patten Lane and use the water in Bruan Bay for the cooling tower. Heck, if they make the plant big enough maybe we can keep the lake ice-free all winter!
Old 01-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #33
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
And they have traffic jams in Europe too but they work less days and have more nuclear energy.

I hope they build one right in Moultonborough on Patten Lane and use the water in Bruan Bay for the cooling tower. Heck, if they make the plant big enough maybe we can keep the lake ice-free all winter!

How about a Westinghouse Electric Co. AP1000 pressurized water reactor (PWR), which is an advanced 1154 MWe nuclear power plant. Their coolant pumps are so powerful that they could suck Lake Winni dry in a few days if they wanted to.

China bought four of these beauties and will have them on line not too far in the distant future. The way I understand it, China agreed to purchase them if Westinghouse did a Technology transfer so that China can build them on their own. South Korea did the same thing and can now build their own reactors without our help.
I really don’t blame Westinghouse for doing this because without China and South Korea buying their reactors, Westinghouse would be in the spare parts business only.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #34
Sunbeam lodge

[Qthey wanted to.

China bought four of these beauties and will have them on line not too far in the distant future. The way I understand it, China agreed to purchase them if Westinghouse did a Technology transfer so that China can build them on their own. South Korea did the same thing and can now build their own reactors without our help.
I really don’t blame Westinghouse for doing this because without China and South Korea buying their reactors, Westinghouse would be in the spare parts business only.[/QUOTE]

Sad and depressing.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #35
wifi

Default This has been going on for years...

Thanks to Pres Clinton HERE

I think its too late for America to wake up, with the golden parachutes having corporate give things to China/India, and the Politically Correct liberal agenda of today... sigh.

I'm proud to have contributed technically to America in its glory days, and am saddened at what will be inherited by my children.

One can't be surprised at what will happen to the fuel prices in the future (back to topic)
Old 01-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #36
Shedwannabe

Quote:
You forgot to deduct the premium you paid for that car over a conventional car. What until you have to replace the batteries and come talk to me about how much you "saved". The math doesn't add up or I would have bought a hybrid.
My cost was ~ $23,500 (when I bought it) and my rebate was I think $3500 (not sure, I'd have to go look at it again, maybe it was only $1500.

So $23,500 - $1500 = $22,000 and minus the $10,300 in gas savings suggests the 5 seat, very comfortable Prius with many options is actually cheaper than the Yugo - the only comparably priced car.

Quote:
Your car is not very green by the way: http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/..._efficien.html
Did you read ANY of the responses at the bottom of the article, about 95% of which pointed out the main points of the article were false? I do agree the Prius is not the "greenest" vehicle, but it certainly told the automakers there was a market for green vehicles, which is getting better as time goes on.

Wifi's comment about being saddened by what our children will inherit from us resonates with me too. Our wastefulness is going to make their lives much harder. (Going political....) In one sense it already has. The lives of young Americans (and Iraqis and Afghans for that matter) lost or physically mangled as a result of our choice to conquer an oil country to get cheap oil are a steep price for cheap energy already, and will continue to affect our youth and the world they grow up into for years, decades.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #37
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post
My cost was ~ $23,500 (when I bought it) and my rebate was I think $3500 (not sure, I'd have to go look at it again, maybe it was only $1500.

So $23,500 - $1500 = $22,000 and minus the $10,300 in gas savings suggests the 5 seat, very comfortable Prius with many options is actually cheaper than the Yugo - the only comparably priced car.
Think like an economist. You spent more money than on a comparably equipped non-hybrid car at purchase. You can easily get a small car like that for several thousands less even after the tax rebate. Factor in the higher excise tax, sales tax (most states), and insurance over the life of the car. All those add up quickly.

I sit right next to two statisticians at work. We've beat these numbers all the way to China and it doesn't add up. During the $4/gallon days it was daily discussion.

I like to stand on my own facts but Money Magazine and Consumer Reports have studied hybrids and they don't add up to the savings to justify the high price tag >>>> http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/05/autos/hybrid_worries/

Often times you're break-even at best.

A better idea is to use "smart" stop lights to reduce the number of cars at idle that way every vehicle uses less fuel. Unfortunately a lot of New England is slow to accept technology.

We need more nuke-a-lar power.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #38
ApS

Cool Let them luxuriate while they can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
"...We do not know just how lucky we are in so many areas..."
Some Canadian neighbors don't overlook their good luck, either. Their motto?

Quote:
"...Because without America, there is no Free World".

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #39
NoRegrets

Quote:

True you don't realize what you have until you see what others have. BUT, I would not ever want to trade our life style for the other contries that pay more for oil. They tax the crap out of you for their social lifestyle. I believe I paid around 11 US (rough calculation due to the Euro and liter conversion)dollars per gallon last year in France. I had trouble fitting into a rental car with 2 travel bags. The quality of life and freedom is really compromised if you llike freedoms and choice. Socialism is a very constricting way to live.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #40
TOAD

At this site you can enter a zip code and find out the current $/gallon for local participating gas station retailers.

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/GasSta...03810&x=19&y=9
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #41
Lakesrider

You can also go to Newhampsiregasprices.com.

And here is another good article on gas and oil prices...

http://www.sphere.com/money/article/...-snap/19309578

Well if we keep buying products made in China we can all get ourselves one of these eventually...

Last edited by Lakesrider; 01-10-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #42
robmac

I had my trucks filled yesterday at Sams in Hudson 2.53 a gallon. So the club saved me some money since both trucks were on E.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #43
corollaman

It's not demand, it's a thing called INFLATION! It has gone up like everything else has. When I took economics in high school back in 2000, the teacher said if gas had inflated at the same rate as every other thing we buy, it would be like $5 a gallon! Look at Europe, they pay over $6 USD a gallon! So we have no right complaining about $2.60 a gallon! That's what I paid a few days ago. I've been driving since 1998, and gas was about $1.40 a gallon, but we weren't in a war then. Everything goes up during wars.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #44
Lucky1

Paid $2.69 last night but may try Costco. Thanks for reminding me of Sam's, Costco etc.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #45
dpg

China is going to ruin this world with their carbon footprint. Goodbye Polar Bears.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #46
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
China is going to ruin this world with their carbon footprint. Goodbye Polar Bears.
Sort of like the USA has been doing for many decades now.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #47
VtSteve

People spend way too much time thinking about gas prices. I drive, on average, 500 miles a week. So for every 25 cents, it equates to about $250 a year. With the increases in housing costs, property taxes, food and the like, gasoline isn't even in my top five for budget items.

Just think, the Feds (WE) pay 51 cents a gallon for ethanol. Add that five cents a gallon onto your take as well.

Think like capitalists. Gas and oil futures, stocks, whatever. $250 a year isn't much to make. Trouble is, we had some that wanted to drill frantically, as oil approached $40 and below a barrel.

There are so many energy-hungry homes in the Northeast alone, the savings from retrofitting them would pay dividends for many years. When oil was low, the cost of layoffs to the nation and states was far more than the savings from the price cuts. I always favor macro over micro.

Now wait until you see what boats cost the next few years. Gas prices will seem pretty tame by comparison.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:41 AM   #48
ApS

Cool Monckton says otherwise...

"Sort of like the USA has been doing for many decades now" needs one of these Smilies after it →

http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/sc..._decision.html

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #49
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Funny thing gas prices

So gas prices are interesting.... the go up they come down... to bad the companies that control them don't seem to want to settle on the median price and just leave it there. I love listening to people complain about 3.00$ next summer.... we are in January folks we have no idea where we will be next summer... I am not say 3$ is out of the quesiton, but the truth is it could be 4$ who knows.... at any rate think about this.,.,,,,

The gas prices go up because the gas companies are trying to build up their cash reserves, and look more profitable. Historically they do this and the demand goes down, their holding tanks fill up, and because they want to keep production up.... they lower the price to get people traveling again, and drive demand back up. The Oil companies, need to both keep the product flowing and keep the cash flowing.... both of these are markers that the investors look at when deciding how solid a company is.....

Prices always swing back and forth, the swings these days just seem more dramatic, because we are no longer dealing with 90 cent gas we are dealing with 2.50$ gas.... lets look at a 10% swing:

90 cents x 1.10 == 99 cent gas

2.50$ X 1.10 == 2.75$

In short, I don't like the pain anymore then anyone else.... but this is just the oil companies playing the same old games they always have..... just instead of dealing with 10 cents changes we now have 25 cent changes.... the scale is different......
Old 01-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #50
Shedwannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
"Sort of like the USA has been doing for many decades now" needs one of these Smilies after it →

http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/sc..._decision.html

While Yosemite Sam may need a smiley after his statement, Monckton needs a belly laugh after him. What a fanciful mishmash of crap he serves up. "It was warm in 1938...therefore global warming is a lie". Only someone who is afraid of evidence would call the reports on global warming a "scarewatch" as report after report comes not to scare us, but to show us what is happening in the world. Sure, some people put a scary spin on it, but the data should be scaring us, ...scaring us into waking up and taking some responsibility for the mess we are causing. And denial of the mess is the biggest disservice to humanity.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #51
SIKSUKR

Default Here we go again

How about this data.29 degrees in Cuba for their all time lowest temp.What is scary to me is people who have no tolerence for a different perspective.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #52
ITD

How about the UK scientists cooking the data then discarding the raw data?
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #53
VtSteve

I'm a lot more concerned about beer prices than gas prices.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #54
Boston Fireguy

Default Gas Price$

This happens rarely, but gas in parts of MA (Whitman MA) is cheaper than NH.
Boston Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote