Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
webmaster
Moderator
 
webmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,186
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 326
Thanked 2,775 Times in 657 Posts
Default Laconia to vote on allowing sports betting

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...MHFLYw0r1LtlrI
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 510
Thanked 607 Times in 404 Posts
Default

I would like to see the breakdown between the state and city for the betting locations but in any event it would be wise to allow sports betting otherwise you will just end up losing the potential revenue to a nearby city.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,564
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 199
Thanked 535 Times in 401 Posts
Default ..... tennis betting in Laconia, anyone?

If NH-Lottery, sports betting, gets passed in the City of Laconia elections on Tuesday, Nov 5 by the Laconia voters ..... does that mean that sometime in the not-too-far future there will be one or more retail locations in Laconia where it will be possible to bet say ..... five dollars ..... on a professional men's or women's tennis match held in a tournament like at Wimbledon ..... and do it in Laconia, NH ..... as is possible to do in London, England?


........ no way ..... will never-ever happen here ....... and, that's a bet????


Something tells me that betting on tennis in Laconia would quickly become more popular than hitting tennis in Laconia ... because the Laconia courts do not have any hitting back boards, yet.


October 29, 2019 ...... http://www.casino.org/news/nh-lotter...sports-betting .... Hellooooo Massachusetts ........ Welcome to New Hampshire - the betting state! ....... "the first bet could be placed by January." .... click on the blue links to Gov Chris Sununu ....... and ...... New Hampshire's sports betting law


As far as I know, Walmart in NH, with 30-big stores all across this small state, does not sell any NH lottery tickets including no scratch tickets ..... hurray for Walmart! .... another good reason to go to Walmart along with their $1.16 small brown bag of seasoned, hot, ready to eat, baked potato wedges! ....


All you can lose is your money ... .... so, how about a sports betting venue when you step inside a Laconia-Cumberland Gas, or a Laconia- Irving Gas .....and you can honestly say 'that will be $10-gas on pump #2 ..... and $10 on Serena Williams to beat Simona Halep!'

..........


"Brick-and-mortar sports books will be limited to up to ten locations statewide." is what it says in the Sept 23, 2019 linked article in Casino.org, via the above blue link, which says to me that sports betting in NH will not be happening at the local Laconia Irving or Cumberland gas that sells lottery tickets, but will happen at up to ten sports book locations across the state, plus on-line with the NH Lottery.

Who knows, but just maybe Laconia will win big with one of the ten sports book locations actually getting situated somewhere in Laconia. Like, why not! Laconia is centrally located in NH, and a sports book state outlet in Laconia could be a winning fit ... a precursor to a gambling casino getting built on the vacant 6-acre lot, down the hill next to the Weirs Cumberland gas station. Come to Laconia and win big!

To make that happen, sports book betting in Laconia has to get voted yes in next Tuesday's Laconia election.

If the Laconia voters say yes, and one of the ten State of NH 'brick-and-mortar' sports book locations opens in Laconia ...... then, what's the cut for Laconia ..... what does Laconia get? The State of NH definitely has a terrible recent history for not helping its local towns by not sharing its' state money with the towns.

What's a good name for these 'up to ten locations, state wide' ....... how's about calling them a 'State of NH roadhouse' ..... and, does Laconia want to have its very own 'state roadhouse' for placing sport bets?


.......
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-31-2019 at 07:25 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 301
Thanks: 87
Thanked 74 Times in 52 Posts
Default Laconia to vote on allowing sports betting

Who are you to tell us how we can and cannot spend our money! I would be happy to place a bet on the Pats then go to Walmart and buy China garbage. A Casino and Sports Book in this area works. Something that us retires would enjoy


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by WinnisquamZ; 10-30-2019 at 09:49 PM.
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:55 PM   #5
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 759
Thanks: 509
Thanked 311 Times in 174 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I would like to see the breakdown between the state and city for the betting locations but in any event it would be wise to allow sports betting otherwise you will just end up losing the potential revenue to a nearby city.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Just asking did "Sports Betting" pass ? in Laconia even if it did I think ? the next step is up to the legislature to possibly award the licence. But no guarantee you get the sports betting even if it passes the city vote. Next the towns get to vote in the spring elections.

In my home town we are hoping we win one of the slots but won't know till spring til after our election. (we are a town and not a city, different voting process)
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2019, 02:25 AM   #6
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 301
Thanks: 87
Thanked 74 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Just asking did "Sports Betting" pass ? in Laconia even if it did I think ? the next step is up to the legislature to possibly award the licence. But no guarantee you get the sports betting even if it passes the city vote. Next the towns get to vote in the spring elections.

In my home town we are hoping we win one of the slots but won't know till spring til after our election. (we are a town and not a city, different voting process)
Yes it did


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 06:26 AM   #7
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 510
Thanked 607 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Just asking did "Sports Betting" pass ? in Laconia even if it did I think ? the next step is up to the legislature to possibly award the licence. But no guarantee you get the sports betting even if it passes the city vote. Next the towns get to vote in the spring elections.

In my home town we are hoping we win one of the slots but won't know till spring til after our election. (we are a town and not a city, different voting process)
The state has already put out bids and for online and locations Draft King’s were the top bidder for both types of waging.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-08-2019), Top-Water (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,564
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 199
Thanked 535 Times in 401 Posts
Thumbs up .... betcha Laconia wins the dart toss!

http://www.sportshandle.com/nh-citie...ports-betting/

So, with Nashua and Concord voting no, that would seem to increase the chance for Laconia to get a NH-Lottery, sports betting store.

Probably, a Laconia location would cost a much lower monthly rent than in Nashua or Concord, plus Laconia voted yes by 51%, while Nashua and Concord voted no.

Laconia is centrally located, in the lakes region, and has easy access off Route 93 via Exit 21. ....... Exit 21 was designed, but never built, making Laconia a wee bit out-of-the-way.

So, who knows, maybe they will toss darts at a NH map on the wall, down at the Lottery Hq in Concord, and make the decision with darts?

Whether its the daily numbers, scratch tickets, keno, or sports betting ...... you are an automatic winner ..... by NOT buying any of it. NH Lottery numbers, scratch tickets, keno and now, sports betting ..... is a lose, lose, lose, lose situation.

For one dollar, you can buy a high quality, large, hard cover book on many different subjects at either the Salvation Army or St Vincent de Paul ..... both in Laconia.

A great big THANK-YOU to everyone in NASHUA who voted NO ...... Nashua was the Massachusetts prize location for sports betting in New Hampshire ..... and Nashua said NO by 4730-4665 .... a very close 50.1% no vote ..... and, it will probably be back on the ballot, next year.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-08-2019 at 11:59 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #9
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 759
Thanks: 509
Thanked 311 Times in 174 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Yes it did


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
-------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
The state has already put out bids and for online and locations Draft Kingís were the top bidder for both types of waging.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Thanks, each of you.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #10
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 558
Thanks: 317
Thanked 155 Times in 99 Posts
Default

This would be a great neighbor for the Netflix Gentlemen's Club
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #11
Billy Bob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tiera Verdi Fl & Moultonborough
Posts: 216
Thanks: 101
Thanked 98 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Iím sure sports betting will help attract top quality professionals to the Laconia area. Already number one in drug abuse, add the ability to squander the rest of their money on gambling and it sounds like a great family town.
Perhaps add in legalizing prostitution and it will be the next Vegas
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
ApS (11-09-2019), Reilly (11-12-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #12
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 510
Thanked 607 Times in 404 Posts
Default Laconia to vote on allowing sports betting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
I’m sure sports betting will help attract top quality professionals to the Laconia area. Already number one in drug abuse, add the ability to squander the rest of their money on gambling and it sounds like a great family town.

Perhaps add in legalizing prostitution and it will be the next Vegas
You would be very surprised at who the people that bet are. They are not the vagrant drug user types. They are young professionals and people in there mid 20s into their 50-60s that enjoy and bet on sports.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #13
Mr. V
Senior Member
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the left coast (Portland)and West Alton
Posts: 837
Thanks: 14
Thanked 95 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Perhaps add in legalizing prostitution and it will be the next Vegas
What are you talking about?

Prostitution is NOT legal in Las Vegas.

Sports betting and gambling are permitted, but not the world's oldest profession.
__________________
basking in the benign indifference of the universe
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #14
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,195
Thanks: 197
Thanked 1,409 Times in 571 Posts
Default

I love how the "appearance" of those doing this some how makes this a great idea. I would argue otherwise but that's not even the point. Most who gamble can't afford to, that's why they are gambling in the first place.

Laconia will be worse off for this but who cares it's all about the $$$.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
ApS (11-10-2019), Billy Bob (11-09-2019), CooperS7777 (11-11-2019), pondguy (11-10-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #15
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 510
Thanked 607 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I love how the "appearance" of those doing this some how makes this a great idea. I would argue otherwise but that's not even the point. Most who gamble can't afford to, that's why they are gambling in the first place.

Laconia will be worse off for this but who cares it's all about the $$$.
I’m sorry I disagree. Many that do this new type of sports betting, especially those in my generation and the next ie those in their mid 30s to mid 50s, on the apps are doing it to enhance their experience of watching the games much like fantasy sports and not because they are trying to make a windfall and bet money they don’t have. Has sports betting killed Delaware or Las Vegas, I don’t think so.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
CooperS7777 (11-11-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #16
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,597
Thanks: 698
Thanked 716 Times in 427 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Most who gamble can't afford to, that's why they are gambling in the first place.
You serious? You think most people gamble to make money? Casinos aren't built on poor people.

I like the idea of gambling being a "tax on the uneducated," but it's not nearly true.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
CooperS7777 (11-11-2019), joey2665 (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #17
Mr. V
Senior Member
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the left coast (Portland)and West Alton
Posts: 837
Thanks: 14
Thanked 95 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
You serious? You think most people gamble to make money? Casinos aren't built on poor people.

I like the idea of gambling being a "tax on the uneducated," but it's not nearly true.
Gamblers come from all economic strata, from the welfare mother playing the lottery to the cabinet member with a yen for high limit slots.

Some need the money, most don't: it's the thrill of the bet, the stimulation, that keeps them coming back.
__________________
basking in the benign indifference of the universe
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #18
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 558
Thanks: 317
Thanked 155 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Let's not get hung up on details. I think we'd all agree that if you like Laconia's honky tonk style and/or think that just about any legal business is good business, then gambling would be a welcome addition. But if you'd prefer that Laconia move a bit upscale--more like Meredith or Wolfeboro for example--then you probably think gambling's a bad idea.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:41 PM   #19
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 301
Thanks: 87
Thanked 74 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Move a bit upscale. Haha. Once the clinics and section 8 housing has been reduced or removed then we can move forward. Until then itís stay the course


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #20
LongshotLombard
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: REVERE MA
Posts: 22
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool Gambling

I just got back from Vegas, had a great time with friends and actually won. I would love to come up to my cabin and be able to bet a football parlay for 25 bucks, Weak minded people will bet Their paychecks, most of us are much too smart. Happy Gamer Cousin Vinny
LongshotLombard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LongshotLombard For This Useful Post:
WinnisquamZ (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #21
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 53
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
You serious? You think most people gamble to make money? Casinos aren't built on poor people.

I like the idea of gambling being a "tax on the uneducated," but it's not nearly true.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Betting shop locations in the UK strongly correlate with areas of deprivation.
StevenGilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #22
Susie Cougar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Parrish, Florida
Posts: 62
Thanks: 24
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default Laconia to allow sports betting

Look at the success that Dover Downs in Delaware has experienced.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #23
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 510
Thanked 607 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
Betting shop locations in the UK strongly correlate with areas of deprivation.
This isn’t the UK by a long stretch.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #24
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 53
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
This isnít the UK by a long stretch.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
4 ways the lottery preys on the poor

So we have poor people playing the lottery, poor people gambling in betting shops in the UK, but betting shops in the US will be a middle-class hang out? Sure.
StevenGilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #25
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 510
Thanked 607 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
4 ways the lottery preys on the poor

So we have poor people playing the lottery, poor people gambling in betting shops in the UK, but betting shops in the US will be a middle-class hang out? Sure.
Yes have you been to the betting outlets in Vegas or Delaware. As I said above many here use sports betting here not as a means but as a way of enhancing watching the events.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #26
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 53
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Yes have you been to the betting outlets in Vegas or Delaware. As I said above many here use sports betting here not as a means but as a way of enhancing watching the events.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
There are definitely casinos and sports books that cater to middle and upper class people, sure, but that doesn't mean that gambling as an industry is focused only on this market.

Most of the money lost on casino gambling around the country, up to 80 percent, comes from households earning less than $50,000 a year
StevenGilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #27
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 510
Thanked 607 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
There are definitely casinos and sports books that cater to middle and upper class people, sure, but that doesn't mean that gambling as an industry is focused only on this market.

Most of the money lost on casino gambling around the country, up to 80 percent, comes from households earning less than $50,000 a year
Ok so that article is 6 years old before this new type of legal app betting on sports so I would question the relevance.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #28
Oblio13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lighthouse Point
Posts: 21
Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I lived in Connecticut when Indian casinos became a thing, and I lived near the Mohawk reservation in upstate New York.

If you allow gambling into your community, it will be accompanied by unsavory elements.

And what you will see over and over is lower-income housewives gambling away the mortgage money.
Oblio13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #29
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 558
Thanks: 317
Thanked 155 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Yes have you been to the betting outlets in Vegas or Delaware. As I said above many here use sports betting here not as a means but as a way of enhancing watching the events.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
OK, so we shouldn't worry because our plan is to make Laconia more like Vegas?
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #30
JEEPONLY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 149
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Default

You ever wait in a line of those people having their losing tickets scanned in the store?- then you wait, some more, while they decide what other ways to waste their (cash) money. The percentage of "winners" must be very high (ha ha) because they keep coming back for more, expecting a different result.

Then they use a credit/debit card to buy a coffee and doughnut for three dollars!

Pathetic.

Lottery tickets of any kind take the word "convenience" out of the meaning of the name Convenience Store.

They ARE the poor peoples' tax.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #31
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,564
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 199
Thanked 535 Times in 401 Posts
Default

On November 5, 45-year old Gov Chris Sununu tweeted: "Sports betting is the right bet for New Hampshire. I urge voters in Manchester, Nashua, Dover, Rochester, Claremont, Berlin, Laconia, Concord, and Somersworth to allow retail sports betting in their cities."

Laconia doesn't qualify for one of the state liquor store "77-convenient locations", and the governor wants Laconia to get one of the ten sports betting, state road house venues.

On August 10, 2019, Gov Sununu vetoed the minimum wage increase that was passed by the legislature. It would have raised the NH minimum wage from its current $7.25/hour up to $10/hour in 2020, and up to $12/hour in 2022.

Of all six New England states, New Hampshire-7.25 has the lowest minimum wage by a lot: Me-11.00, Vt-10.78, Ma-12.00, RI-10.50, Ct-11.00.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (11-11-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 08:42 PM   #32
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 510
Thanked 607 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
OK, so we shouldn't worry because our plan is to make Laconia more like Vegas?
Read my previous posts your missing the point, which is that just because there are betting outlets doesn’t mean it will attack all types of vagrants. For years in New York they had off track horse betting outlets that made a good amount of money and did not deteriorate neighborhoods. There downfall was being run by the state instead of being put out to bid to private companies.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #33
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,168
Thanks: 24
Thanked 354 Times in 220 Posts
Default

I do not gamble but...

Different people enjoy different types of entertainment.

Some golf, bowl, see movies in a theatre, knit, or buy antiques.

It makes no difference to me what other people do with their money.



Regarding the payment of a $3 purchase with a credit card...

Credit card rewards programs incentivize this.

My wife has companion status with her Southwest Air credit card rewards program.

That results in me flying for free (with her) about twelve times a year.

In the business from which I retired, transaction speed was critically important.

It was determined that a cashless (credit card or debit card) transaction was faster than a cash transaction.

Customers fiddling with their coins and bills took longer than those who simply presented their card.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #34
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 558
Thanks: 317
Thanked 155 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Read my previous posts your missing the point, which is that just because there are betting outlets doesnít mean it will attack all types of vagrants. For years in New York they had off track horse betting outlets that made a good amount of money and did not deteriorate neighborhoods. There downfall was being run by the state instead of being put out to bid to private companies.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I got your point, which has already been already refuted by others. But while you were assuring us we did not have to worry about some problems, you were reminding us that there was another problem too--looking more like Vegas is not a good thing.

Also--"vagrants"? I'm pretty sure that the people others have been referring to as victims of gambling are often working class folks so desperate for a break that they fall for the false promise of a big win.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #35
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,564
Thanks: 235
Thanked 907 Times in 370 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I do not gamble but...

Different people enjoy different types of entertainment.

Some golf, bowl, see movies in a theatre, knit, or buy antiques.

It makes no difference to me what other people do with their money.



Regarding the payment of a $3 purchase with a credit card...

Credit card rewards programs incentivize this.

My wife has companion status with her Southwest Air credit card rewards program.

That results in me flying for free (with her) about twelve times a year.

In the business from which I retired, transaction speed was critically important.

It was determined that a cashless (credit card or debit card) transaction was faster than a cash transaction.

Customers fiddling with their coins and bills took longer than those who simply presented their card.
That is all true and credit, if managed correctly, can be a benefit.

However, less than 40% of people pay their credit cards in full every month so they are subject to interest. The average interest rate for new credit cards is 19.21%.

People on the lower earning end of the spectrum who always use credit cards are giving up almost $1 out of every $5 they take home just to pay that interest.

Businesses that operate on slim margins need to charge more to offset the fees they lose to credit card companies. For that reason, in many cases as consumers we pay a higher price.

So, credit managed poorly is expensive!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #36
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,520
Thanks: 966
Thanked 439 Times in 320 Posts
Cool "The House" always Wins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
You ever wait in a line of those people having their losing tickets scanned in the store?- then you wait, some more, while they decide what other ways to waste their (cash) money. The percentage of "winners" must be very high (ha ha) because they keep coming back for more, expecting a different result. Then they use a credit/debit card to buy a coffee and doughnut for three dollars! Pathetic. Lottery tickets of any kind take the word "convenience" out of the meaning of the name Convenience Store.They ARE the poor peoples' tax.
In North Carolina, I waited in line behind a older barefoot teen , who was checking her "winnings" from a handful of tickets. Only one card had her "winning", for a total of four dollars.

I would have walked away but, without stepping out of line, she bought four more tickets!
__________________
.SailingóGood for you and good for the world...

...and you won't stink...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #37
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 301
Thanks: 87
Thanked 74 Times in 52 Posts
Default Laconia to vote on allowing sports betting

This conversation reminded me of one I had with my fatherís advisor. Asked him to explain why it was ok for my father to travel and spend 2k a month, but if he preferred to spend that same amount at a casino it was a mistake. Why must others judge what someone finds enjoyable? $100 on the Pats to win by six or 18 at the LCC it is still money spent. Would also add the 100 on 18 is gone. The 100 on the Pats could double. A better investment!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #38
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,564
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 199
Thanked 535 Times in 401 Posts
Default Laconia: drugs, gambling & suicide

With Gov Chris Sununu's endorsement and support on NH-state lottery, sports betting, it's a sure bet to turn Laconia's drug addiction problem into a gambling problem, too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_gambling
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
ApS (11-11-2019), pondguy (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #39
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 53
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
This conversation reminded me of one I had with my fatherís advisor. Asked him to explain why it was ok for my father to travel and spend 2k a month, but if he preferred to spend that same amount at a casino it was a mistake. Why must others judge what someone finds enjoyable? $100 on the Pats to win by six or 18 at the LCC it is still money spent. Would also add the 100 on 18 is gone. The 100 on the Pats could double. A better investment!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
First off I would suggest your father considers looking for a new advisor. If his advice was truly "this leisure pursuit is ok but this one is a mistake" then he sounds like a terrible advisor.

Second, no one on this conversation is trying to say that there is anything wrong with an occasional flutter or gambling as a leisure activity. What we are saying is that:

1) When people can gamble, some people will develop gambling addictions

2) A high proportion of gambling profits come from lower income households

Whether you think this is a problem or not comes down to individual social ideologies. If you think it is a problem, there is a decision on is it my (or the state's) problem or is it a problem of individual responsibility. If you think it is a problem that we should do something about as a society, how should it be dealt with (limits, advertising restrictions, funding of gambling-addict services, etc.).

Yes, there are different opinions and ways to look at this issue but opinions aren't facts. Just because you, or I, or many others can spice up a football game by throwing down an inconsequential $50, or take a fun weekend trip to Atlantic City, doesn't change the fact that the gambling industry is mainly a "poor tax".
StevenGilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #40
pondguy
Senior Member
 
pondguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Meredith
Posts: 225
Thanks: 273
Thanked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Laconia sports betting section 8 drug infested den, there goes the neighborhood !
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pondguy For This Useful Post:
ApS (11-26-2019), Biggd (11-26-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #41
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,195
Thanks: 197
Thanked 1,409 Times in 571 Posts
Default

LOL

The democrats have been pushing casino gambling since 1999. Latest attempt Senate Bill 310 which was.... wait for it.... sponsored by a democratic majority.

You will also be shocked to know that when Gov. Hassan was in office as governor she was outspoken in her support of legalizing gambling in fact she addressed at the time the entire house democrat caucus to urge their support in 2015.

A bad idea is a bad idea doesn't matter who supports it and both political parties are to blame for this not just one. Nice try...Ö.

https://www.casino.org/news/new-hamp...sino-gambling/
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #42
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 558
Thanks: 317
Thanked 155 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
LOL

The democrats have been pushing casino gambling since 1999. Latest attempt Senate Bill 310 which was.... wait for it.... sponsored by a democratic majority.

You will also be shocked to know that when Gov. Hassan was in office as governor she was outspoken in her support of legalizing gambling in fact she addressed at the time the entire house democrat caucus to urge their support in 2015.

A bad idea is a bad idea doesn't matter who supports it and both political parties are to blame for this not just one. Nice try...Ö.

https://www.casino.org/news/new-hamp...sino-gambling/
I agree, and I'm a Democrat. Deval Patrick played a central role in Massachusetts casinos. Both parties have been too supportive of gambling.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
MAXUM (11-12-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #43
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 301
Thanks: 87
Thanked 74 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Sports betting starts January 1st. 51% of the gross sales go to the state. Thinking a 100 bet on the Pats is a better play then a scratch ticket. Donít recall reading if the current city council will allow it


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:27 AM   #44
iw8surf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 121
Thanks: 12
Thanked 52 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I agree, and I'm a Democrat. Deval Patrick played a central role in Massachusetts casinos. Both parties have been too supportive of gambling.
Deval's largely responsible for the downturn of Massachusetts.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:28 AM   #45
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,564
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 199
Thanked 535 Times in 401 Posts
Thumbs up ... sports betting in Laconia?

Will New Hampshire Lottery-sports betting find a home in Laconia?

For a totally super-duper, year-round Laconia location, I think sports betting could be a great fit in one of the New Hampshire Veterans Association buildings at Weirs Beach, directly across from the big lake.

Come to Weirs Beach, and win big at the big lake!

There is one New Hampshire Veterans Association building there close to the corner, directly on the sidewalk without having to walk up the steep embankment, that used to be a pizza restaurant maybe ten years ago, which could be a winning play ...... I think.

Hey there Senator Lou D' ...... buddy ...... down in Manchester ..... how do you like this one ...... "Come to Weirs Beach, and win big at the big lake!"
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #46
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,998
Thanks: 632
Thanked 428 Times in 282 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Will New Hampshire Lottery-sports betting find a home in Laconia?

For a totally super-duper, year-round Laconia location, I think sports betting could be a great fit in one of the New Hampshire Veterans Association buildings at Weirs Beach, directly across from the big lake.

Come to Weirs Beach, and win big at the big lake!

There is one New Hampshire Veterans Association building there close to the corner, directly on the sidewalk without having to walk up the steep embankment, that used to be a pizza restaurant maybe ten years ago, which could be a winning play ...... I think.

Hey there Senator Lou D' ...... buddy ...... down in Manchester ..... how do you like this one ...... "Come to Weirs Beach, and win big at the big lake!"
How many times are you going to repeat this?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #47
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,564
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 199
Thanked 535 Times in 401 Posts
Default .... NH Gov Council votes yes by 3-1 on 11/25/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
How many times are you going to repeat this?
Today is Tuesday, Nov 26, and yesterday on Monday, Nov 25, the five member NH Governor's Council, at the State House, voted to approve to go forward with the proposed NH Lottery-sports betting, so the possibilty for sports betting to have a permanent home in Laconia just took a very large step forward, yesterday.

Helloooooo Senator Lou D' in Manchester ..... come to Weirs Beach and win big at the big lake! The NH Veterans Assoc has a very happening, potential spot!

Weirs Beach loves you ......... Senator Lou ...... buddy!
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.19678 seconds