Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #1
Peter

Default Thanksgiving traditions

With Thanksgiving coming up next month, I was wondering if people wanted to share any special Thanksgiving traditions or memories?

I always love thinking back to when I was a kid and we used to go to the Detroit Thanksgiving parade. It got everyone out of the house Thanksgiving morning so my Mom could prepare the meal in peace and quiet. My dad would bring a tall step ladder so the kids could climb up it and see over the crowds lined down the side of the street.

Happt Halloween and Thanksgiving in advance!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
phoenix

growing up in Mass one always went to high school football on thanksgiving morning then home for a big turkey dinner
Old 10-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
SIKSUKR

Same in NH. High school football in the morning then across the street to the Post 79 Legion hall for many pre turkey drinks.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
winnisummergal

Default same as Phoenix

I grew up in Mass too and did the same thing as Phoenix..football in the morning and turkey dinner in late afternoon.
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
John A. Birdsall

Default thanksgiving

I can recall one football against Melrose on Thanksgiving. All year long I wanted to nab the guy with the football. Well, I did it, I got the guy, only problem was it was our own player, He intercepted the ball, and all I seen was the ball. For some reason I was pulled off the field, and had to run the track for the rest of the game. I am sure glad it was the last game of the season, and that we won the game. The coaches were all my teachers too. It was a tough year.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
WinnDixie

Default Changing traditions

Funny how they can change. Now that we are in the south, we have a "regular" turkey and a deep-fried cajun-style one (which is much better tasting than it might sound!). Fortunately all this cooking gets done at our daughter's. BUT...I'm part of the "traditions" now, too. They have to have "my" pumpkin pie as well as some of "my" old fashioned chocolate fudge and penuche fudge. This is the stuff that is weather dependent, has to form a soft ball at the right time, etc. I'm not usually too happy with the chocolate, as it can turn out grainy....and does too often, with me. Well! That's the way my daughter (who had it when I was making it "back when") likes it and wants it! "Don't try to fool with it to make it smooth" she warns! Soooo...grainy fudge...a tradition!

One good thing all of us down here are looking forward to: The Patriots will be playing on Thanksgiving...and we'll be sure to get that game!! GO PATS!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
Jersey Guy

My perfect Thanksgiving was Turkey on Buzzells Cove with the inlaws, get an early day skiing at Sunday River on Friday, cut down our Christmas tree at the Joal Tree Farm on Moultonborough Neck Road on Saturday, and back home on Sunday! Lots of traveling, but well worth it.
Jersey Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnDixie View Post
Funny how they can change. Now that we are in the south, we have a "regular" turkey and a deep-fried cajun-style one (which is much better tasting than it might sound!). Fortunately all this cooking gets done at our daughter's. BUT...I'm part of the "traditions" now, too. They have to have "my" pumpkin pie as well as some of "my" old fashioned chocolate fudge and penuche fudge. This is the stuff that is weather dependent, has to form a soft ball at the right time, etc. I'm not usually too happy with the chocolate, as it can turn out grainy....and does too often, with me. Well! That's the way my daughter (who had it when I was making it "back when") likes it and wants it! "Don't try to fool with it to make it smooth" she warns! Soooo...grainy fudge...a tradition!

One good thing all of us down here are looking forward to: The Patriots will be playing on Thanksgiving...and we'll be sure to get that game!! GO PATS!
I've tried to explain the Cajun-turkey to folks up here... it's sooooo good! Somethings about Southern-style Thanksgivings were so different than what I grew up with - like cornbread stuffing, sweet potato pie, polk salad, potato salad, etc.

Our family doesn't have a tradition - Argie and I go our separate ways for Thanksgiving because we both have elderly parents and want to spend time with them, equally. We each take an Argelet with us. I usually cook "Thanksgiving - The Sequel" the next day (Black Friday) - as I shop in my pj's online. The food from that is for leftovers and to get us through the busy times that's late November/early December - otherwise known as "Budget Season".

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 10-20-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yep, Football when I was in HS. (Massachusetts) Hudson vs Marlboro. I had girlfriends at both schools.....Yeah that was always interesting...

Now it is up to Bangor to the wife's family place. I have no other family left alive so it is a given that I go up for T-day or Xmas. 4 hour ride each way. I usually alternate so that the guy that covers for me at work can have a Christmas or Thanksgiving with his kids.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
jkjoshuatree

Default I Volunteer At The Pine Street Inn In Boston

It humbles me, makes me feel grateful for all that I have, and puts everything into perspective.
Jmo77011 (10-20-2010)
Old 10-20-2010, 04:04 AM   #11
Newbiesaukee

In Maryland where I grew up it was also high school football played at Memorial stadium where the BALTIMORE Colts played.

Now it is 18 for dinner in Florida and I do all the cooking. A log on the fire and the AC cranked up. Not better,not worse, just different.....but I'm much older and more thankful.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 AM   #12
The Eagle

Default Our Old Time Thanksgiving

When I was a child, my Mom was one of 12 children, who all married and lived in the Wilmington MA area. I had 42 first cousins, and 24 aunts and uncles, plus my two Grand Parents. On Thanksgiving Day (After the traditional Wilmington-Tewksbury Football game) our entire group, would go to the old (now gone) Silver Lake Betterment Hall. We had it all to ourselves. Each of my Mom's sisters would make something (all pre-arranged) One would do potatoes, one the squash, one the turnips, and a few of them turkeys. My Grandfather would light a fire in the big old field stone fireplace. All week prior to that, my Mom and her sisters would make "Center Pieces," and every place setting would have a little arrangement with peanuts, and M & M's, in a cup cake cup, and they would make a turkey out of a round pinecone, cut colored paper and pipe cleaners, and of course a "fruit cup," and Apple Cider. They all baked pies, (loved my Grandmother's Mince pie), cookies, and deserts. We would all have a banquet style Thanksgiving. Then the Mom's would clean up the dishes, and the "Men" would sit around the tables, playing poker, and had a little "sip," while my Grandfather smoked his after dinner cigar, while the kids ran wild around the hall yelling and screeming, playing some type of game. Then, when the dishes were all done..SANTA would show up (early) and we would each get one gift, but we had to go up on the stage and "Perform" to get our gift. One cousin would tap dance, or sing, or recite a poem, or play an instrument (my cousin Bobby played the Accordian..God rest hs soul, Cancer got him).
I get a tear in my eye just thinking about all the good times we had back them. How famlies got together and did things together, and how now a days, no one does it any more. My Grandparents were great for getting the famlies together on the holidays, and being a family...GOD, I MISS THOSE days, and my Grandparents and parents! Thank you for this tread, and bringing back old GOOD memories! Happy Thanksgiving to all!
"The Eagle"
The Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Eagle For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (10-20-2010), Newbiesaukee (10-20-2010)
Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
Argie's Wife

Eagle... I love your post... that was beautiful!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
WinnDixie

Default Wow, Eagle!

That's impressive!! No wonder you miss it!!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #15
Peter

Those are memories that should be shared more often! Thanks!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
Island Girl

Default It's all about the stuffing

The turkey is just the vessel to cook the world's best stuffing, my Mom's. Add to that her homemade cranberry and apple sauces.... yummy.

Our traditions are all about family coming together for a great meal and good conversation. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, squash, turnip, peas, corn, pickles, green bean casserole (like you have never had before) and apple cider. Every other year is our family, the alternate years all the members go to in-laws. We used to take turns having the dinner. That has passed on to the kids and we older folks bring something. My job has been the Banana Cream Pie and Chocolate Cream Pie. Sometimes I make the stuffing or do the gravy.

The best part is the leftovers on Thanksgiving night. For most of the past 30 years I have cooked my own turkey and fixings just so there would be leftovers! I spend Wednesda night making stuffing and cooking vegetables. Waking up on Thanksgiving morning to the aroma of turkey roasting is luscious. It all gets put in the fridge for consumption around 7 pm long after the day's dinner has dissipated. Add Football on the DVR to the plate of leftovers... perfect! It is easy to sleep after all of that!

The new tradition is online Black Friday shopping late Thursday night!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #17
jkjoshuatree

Default Are We Related?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
The turkey is just the vessel to cook the world's best stuffing, my Mom's. Add to that her homemade cranberry and apple sauces.... yummy.

Our traditions are all about family coming together for a great meal and good conversation. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, squash, turnip, peas, corn, pickles, green bean casserole (like you have never had before) and apple cider. Every other year is our family, the alternate years all the members go to in-laws. We used to take turns having the dinner. That has passed on to the kids and we older folks bring something. My job has been the Banana Cream Pie and Chocolate Cream Pie. Sometimes I make the stuffing or do the gravy.

The best part is the leftovers on Thanksgiving night. For most of the past 30 years I have cooked my own turkey and fixings just so there would be leftovers! I spend Wednesda night making stuffing and cooking vegetables. Waking up on Thanksgiving morning to the aroma of turkey roasting is luscious. It all gets put in the fridge for consumption around 7 pm long after the day's dinner has dissipated. Add Football on the DVR to the plate of leftovers... perfect! It is easy to sleep after all of that!

The new tradition is online Black Friday shopping late Thursday night!

IG
Green bean casserole? Banana and chocolate cream pie? I thought my family was the only family that had ever even heard of those foods, never mind having them all on the same holiday.

We must be related. Every time I tell people I love banana or chocolate cream pie, they have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #18
GFP

Default Thanksgiving Tradition

When my son got married, we began going to their house for Thanksgiving. Many times we have included friends and people from other countries.
The first year,I bought the largest tablecloth I could find. At the end of the meal every year, everyone paints a hand with fabric paint, and places it on the tablecloth. Each hand print is labeled with the name and year. It is so much fun to see hand prints from past years, especially the prints of our growing granddaughters.
GFP is offline   Reply With Quote