Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
billhurley

Default New site weather question

I like the new page. I looked around, but I could not find the old weather page. Is it gone? I liked the old page.

Thanks Bill
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Click here for the old weather page. That page is from Weather Underground and was not part of this site. One of the projects that is ahead is to build a new weather page with modules for the information I think is most helpful. It may take a while before I get to that but I'll post a message on this thread when it's ready.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
billhurley

Thanks I appreciate your hard work.
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
NHKathy

I like the new home page too -you do a great job with this wonderful web site!
Is there still a "lake water temp" "calendar" type page? couldn't find that...
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
webmaster

Some old features have been taken down while I figure out better ways to do it. I'm trying to find a way to automatically post the lake temp without me calling the Dataphone every day and manually posting it.

I've now added a basic weather page to the homepage menu. I'll be adding more modules to it over time.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
webmaster

Since I have been getting so many complaints (at least 10 a day) about the missing water temps I have again linked to the old page on the Site Navigation menu.

Some of the complaints are surprisingly harsh. Someone just sent me an email saying that winnipesaukee.com used to be their favorite site but now it's worthless because of the design changes. Huh?

I recall similar complaints when I switched to the new forum software in 2004.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
Resident 2B

Don,

This site is great and you should be proud of what you have built here. I do not know how anyone can complain.

Thanks for all you do!!!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
Pineedles

Default Jump in the Lake!

Honestly folks, doesn't this man have enough to do without having to call the dataphone and manualy post the lake temperature. If you want to find out what the Lake's temperature is then go JUMP IN THE LAKE! Thank you Don for all your hard work and don't let inconsiderate people get you down. I love the new look and I can wait for an automated version.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Old saying comes to mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Since I have been getting so many complaints (at least 10 a day) about the missing water temps I have again linked to the old page on the Site Navigation menu.

Some of the complaints are surprisingly harsh. Someone just sent me an email saying that winnipesaukee.com used to be their favorite site but now it's worthless because of the design changes. Huh?

...consider the source and ignore it . The friends you have made over the years will continue to stand by you as you make changes that will better the experiences of visiting and participating in Winnipesaukee.com; those who are that shallow to make such comments as you shared with us will be no more than a flash in the pan, and will go away.

My wife and I appreciate all that you do with this "full time job" and realize that you must on occasion do some work at that "part time job" (in comparison) that has something to do with paying the family bills and this site as well .

Keep up the good work, and for us, it's just a matter of patience, patience, and patience.

Thanks Don,

Dave
Old 09-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
.... Some of the complaints are surprisingly harsh. ...
And if you gave some people free use of Windsor Palace they would complain that the light fixtures gave bad lighting. ... and the plumbing was old

Thanks for what you do Don.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
GWC...

Quote:

Sounds like you need some time away from the keyboard and monitor...

Hope you will be able to attend the loonie Forum Fest V at the loonie LPC from noon to 3 pm, September 20th - only two weeks away.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
webmaster

Thanks for the support you guys. Most of the complaints (comments) were just asking what happened to it but there have been several that were very critical. It's kind of discouraging but someone once told me that if the site wasn't important to people, no one would bother complaining. I try to keep that in mind and interpret both positive and negative comments as compliments.

When you are used to one format seeing something different can be disconcerting. As I mentioned, I had the same experience when I installed the new forum software 4 years ago. I can only imagine the flood of comments and complaints that major sites must get when they do a redesign.

Despite a few problems, I'm thrilled with the new CMS (Content Management System). Look at the Local Weather page. It is a good example of how I can drop in modules that do just about anything. Last night in about 10 minutes I created the webcam modules and dropped them in to that page. I'm not too artistic so the ability to easily create and arrange modules is a wonderful way to create pages and add content.

The module concept will allow all pages to evolve as I think of new content. I'm still learning and getting used to it but I'm excited about the potential. I'm already working on a new integrated links and classified systems and you'll be hearing more about that soon.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #13
sa meredith

Default free

Quote:

Are these poeple reminded it is indeed a FREE site. And you are, indeed, working to make it even better. Furthermore, I believe I recently read a message where you had explained that the site might be slow, and parts disabled for a month or so, while under construction.
People are strange....
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #14
NHKathy

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Honestly folks, doesn't this man have enough to do without having to call the dataphone and manualy post the lake temperature. If you want to find out what the Lake's temperature is then go JUMP IN THE LAKE! Thank you Don for all your hard work and don't let inconsiderate people get you down. I love the new look and I can wait for an automated version.
Please, please don't think I was complaining...
I love this site! (with or without Lake temps!)
I was just curious...
Don: You do a WONDERFUL job with this site and I visit it numerous times, daily! It is my home page at home.
I truly appreciate all the effort (and time!) that you put into this great website!
Thank you WebMaster!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:22 AM   #15
chipj29

Quote:
Thanks for the support you guys. Most of the complaints (comments) were just asking what happened to it but there have been several that were very critical. It's kind of discouraging but someone once told me that if the site wasn't important to people, no one would bother complaining. I try to keep that in mind and interpret both positive and negative comments as compliments.

When you are used to one format seeing something different can be disconcerting. As I mentioned, I had the same experience when I installed the new forum software 4 years ago. I can only imagine the flood of comments and complaints that major sites must get when they do a redesign.

Despite a few problems, I'm thrilled with the new CMS (Content Management System). Look at the Local Weather page. It is a good example of how I can drop in modules that do just about anything. Last night in about 10 minutes I created the webcam modules and dropped them in to that page. I'm not too artistic so the ability to easily create and arrange modules is a wonderful way to create pages and add content.

The module concept will allow all pages to evolve as I think of new content. I'm still learning and getting used to it but I'm excited about the potential. I'm already working on a new integrated links and classified systems and you'll be hearing more about that soon.
Don, the Local weather page is awesome! Looks great, and lots of great info! Nicely done!