Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
MGWillia

Default Ok, help a guy out.

Haven't really done much fishing since I was a kid. Now that I'm retired and have been thinking about getting into it. I have a problem though. It's been so long, between equipment changes and my fading memory, I don't know what I should be looking at for the big lake. Any recommendations for equipment? I'd appreciate a little steering. Thanks
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWillia View Post
Haven't really done much fishing since I was a kid. Now that I'm retired and have been thinking about getting into it. I have a problem though. It's been so long, between equipment changes and my fading memory, I don't know what I should be looking at for the big lake. Any recommendations for equipment? I'd appreciate a little steering. Thanks

I would go to either Martels in Laconia or AJ's in Meredith. They will definitely steer you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
MeredithMan

Default The most important thing you need to know is....

Quote:
How to tell a big lie...!! (aka, "fish story")
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:30 PM   #4
kawishiwi

Default All the words in the world...

won't be worth a single fishing trip with someone knowledgeable.
Go to the tackle shops mentioned. But find someone with gear willing to go out with you for a few hours. Or hire a guide and get a power education.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:05 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
I would be more than happy to take you out for a couple hours on my boat if the ice ever leaves! This will at least give you an idea of what I use for equipment and some techniques to help you get started.

PM me as ice out gets closer if your interested.

Dan
joey2665 (04-01-2017), MGWillia (04-01-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2017, 06:48 AM   #6
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I would be more than happy to take you out for a couple hours on my boat if the ice ever leaves! This will at least give you an idea of what I use for equipment and some techniques to help you get started.

Dan
Generous offer!
Kudos to you, Dan!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
MikeF-NH

HC, you didn't mention what type of fishing you were interested in. Its broken down into two general categories:
1.) Warm water: consisting of largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, pickerel, white perch, yellow perch, sunfish etc. For this type of fishing you can go as simple as fishing off a dock or roaming the shoreline. Most enthusiasts buy some sort of boat with an electric trolling motor to move along the shoreline. Most will cast for these species with spinning, spincast or baitcast reels and use some sort of artificial bait or live bait.
2.) Cold water: on Winni, this is landlocked salmon, lake trout or rainbow trout exclusively. By catch may include some of the warm water species above. Early season - shore fisherman can have success from public docks, bridges and some shoreline but once the water warms...that fishery is diffucult to produce from. Most enthusiast (like iShoot) buy a boat and troll for these species using downriggers to get to the depth they expect these species at and/or leadcore with or without planer boards to get down. This type if fishing is too complex for me to write out here as some have worked a life time to accumulate knowledge on speed, depth, color, location all of which combine to be successful. I would recommend a text search on the message board on fishlakewinni.com to find these but as mentioned above, Alan and AJs can get you started and be successful in "minutes".

I fish both so I chose a boat that I can troll for coldwater species on and cast for warm water species also.

I would say...begin by deciding if you want warm water or cold water or both then decide if you have the resources for a both and buy the best choice to meet your fishing type. People on this board and fishlakewinni.com and of course AJ will then help you decide on bait and tackle to be successful. Expect to spend somewhere between $50 and $50K dollars and don't forget that licence. I think NH offers a life time license to retirees that is a good option. Also the fishlakewinni site used to and may still have a RFP (retired fishing partner) group that got together to fish together and tell "tales". If they still have it...that would be a great group to be involved with.

Finally, if anyone offers you a learning trip on their boat...TAKE IT. You will learn more from 4-6 hours with an experienced fisherman than in 10 years of self learning....and you may just find a regular fishing partner. Another great route mentioned is to hire one of the guides from the fishlakewinni "fleet". These guys need to earn a living and will put you on fish.

Good luck...I'm looking forward to you posting your adventures as you learn and grow in the sport. Ice out is a very productive time for cold water species so keep an eye on the ice out page. Many will be out before ice out is declared.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
MGWillia (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #8
bigdog

Link to NH Fish & Game License information:
https://www.nhfishandgame.com

Discounted Senior Licenses are available on internet or license agents for Residents who have reached age 68 and whose date of birth is 1/1/1948 or later Applicant MUST be at least 68 at the time of purchase to qualify for these rates.
Cost $7.

FREE !
Those NH Residents born 12/31/47 or earlier must obtain their permanent Over Age 68 License at the NH Fish & Game Dept in Concord, Lancaster, New Hampton and other limited license agents. Call 603-271-3422 for more info

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/licensing/senior.htm

Enjoy !

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
MGWillia

Default Thanks!

Quote:

Dan
Thanks, that is a generous offer.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #10
MGWillia

Default I'm retired....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Link to NH Fish & Game License information:
https://www.nhfishandgame.com

Discounted Senior Licenses are available on internet or license agents for Residents who have reached age 68 and whose date of birth is 1/1/1948 or later Applicant MUST be at least 68 at the time of purchase to qualify for these rates.
Cost $7.

FREE !
Those NH Residents born 12/31/47 or earlier must obtain their permanent Over Age 68 License at the NH Fish & Game Dept in Concord, Lancaster, New Hampton and other limited license agents. Call 603-271-3422 for more info

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/licensing/senior.htm

Enjoy !

Bigdog
But I'm not quite that old yet... lol Thanks for the info.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Accepted

Quote:

Dan
My son-in-law would love this, neighbor. We'll walk by some day.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
My son-in-law would love this, neighbor. We'll walk by some day.
Anytime! The tiki bar is always open!

Dan