Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
RI Swamp Yankee

Question Can't get to home page

Maybe because Don is reworking the home page but when I go to my bookmarked www.winnipesaukee.com I end up going directly to edit profile page http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...do=editoptions No matter what I do I can't get to the site main page.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Maybe because Don is reworking the home page but when I go to my bookmarked www.winnipesaukee.com I end up going directly to edit profile page http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...do=editoptions No matter what I do I can't get to the site main page.
Same here. He did have a post up explaining what was being done, but it disappeared.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
GWC...

Just clicked the link you supplied (http://www.winnipesaukee.com/) and it worked in lurking mode (not logged in).
Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
webmaster

Thanked 3,722 Times in 822 Posts

I have been reworking the site all weekend. You could see errors or have other problems during the process. Please be patient, this is a big project. The site could be under construction for quite a while.

I also updated the forum software this week. The new version forces members to change their password if it is the same as your member name. An email was sent about it but if you try to access pages before you change it you'll be directed to your control panel. That sounds like what happened to you RI Swamp Yankee. Try resetting your password and see if the redirect goes away.

Most pages on the site are being moved to a new content management system that uses the forum's user database and styles. You'll notice the familiar forum look on the home page and elsewhere. I will gradually move all parts of the site to this new system and the links and classified sections will be replaced with compatible versions.

When completed the forum, photopost, blogs, classifieds and links directory will all use the same member login and permissions.

Here are a few examples of pages that were moved to the new content management system this weekend:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
NightWing

The Home page and the Store page still come up as User Control Panel for me. I am on automatic log in.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
.... An email was sent about it but if you try to access pages before you change it you'll be directed to your control panel. That sounds like what happened to you RI Swamp Yankee. Try resetting your password and see if the redirect goes away.
Here are a few examples of pages that were moved to the new content management system this weekend:

Password wasn't same as username and never got an email but I changed it anyway .... same result, end up at:
Winnipesaukee Forum > User Control Panel
Edit Options

I may have to do it as GWC said and log out. I always stay logged in .... (lazy Yankee!)

The above Store Page link doesn't work but the Weirs Cam link does.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
webmaster

Since much of the structure of the site has changed you could be running into cache problems. You may need to flush your "Temporary Internet Files" or hold down Ctrl and reload the pages when you have trouble.

You could also try logging out and in again. That should clear the cookies that remember your login. You could also delete the individual cookies manually.

I have been working on the site night and day for the last 4 days and I've thoroughly tested the new CMS. The few problems I have seen were related to cached pages and confused cookies.

While I always appreciate feedback I have to again ask everyone for patience. This is a huge project and is only about 10% completed. It may take a few months to finish since I have to do all the work in my spare time. There will be bumps along the way and I'll be working to smooth them out.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
ITD

I tried to get to the homepage and got right in, I'll have to tell you that it is looking pretty slick. Nice job Don, can't wait to see the site when you're done.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
RI Swamp Yankee

Tried it all, log out, flush, rinse, 2 different browsers .... etc.

When logged out www.winnipesaukee.com gives me a redirect to http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...o=editoptions:
vBulletin Message
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons: .......

It is a redirect not a "mod rewrite" because the URL changes in the browser.
I can live with it untill the other stuff is finished.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Tried it all, log out, flush, rinse, 2 different browsers .... etc.
Please email me the password you are using and I'll try to duplicate the problem. Email link
Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
webmaster

I received your password but I can't duplicate the problem. After logging in as you I was able to browse to the home page and all the other new pages as well as the forum and photopost. I never was redirected. I also connected to a remote computer and tried it from there without problems.

At this point I don't have any idea why you are having this problem. If I think of anything I'll post more here.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #12
Formula260SS

Default Netscape

I have the problem with Netscape, Explorer works OK but it's slower. Any idea how to make Netscape work? I'm on version 9
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #13
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Red face RI Swamp Yankee & I Are In The Same Boat

I became aware today that I am also having the same exact trouble as RI Swamp Yankee. R-Guy tried to clear the cookies per instructions in another thread to no avail. Logged out, which didn't stick, flushed and reloaded and tried different browsers.

Not to worry, I will be patient. Just wanted you to know. By the way Don, when I checked out the new home page on R-Guy’s computer, it looked very nice!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #14
webmaster

This is a strange problem that I have not been able to solve. I haven't even been able to reproduce or observe it and only a handful of people have reported it. A few members have given me their username and password for testing and they work fine for me on other computers. This leads me to believe that it has something to do with certain computers, possibly a security setting. So far it remains a mystery.

Like Rattlesnake Gal, others have told me that they have trouble with one household or office computer but not another. I manage over 350 computers here at my "real" job and I've accessed the site on almost every one I touch without trouble.

I've also posted messages on the support forums for the forum software and the content management system that controls the home page and others but no one else has seen the problem either.

Most likely some small piece of information will emerge that will provide a clue that will help me solve this. Until then you can still get to the forum with a direct link like http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums.

Sorry for the inconvenience to the affected members and visitors. Hopefully I'll find an answer soon.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
Rattlesnake Gal

Smile Thanks

Thanks Don. The link you provided to the forum actually does take me to the forums, not the User CP page.

Not sure if this is connected or not, but I haven’t seen any closed envelopes indicating a thread I have not seen when I use the new posts button. If I go into specific forums the closed envelopes show up. I have tried marking all posts read upon leaving, but that doe not make any difference. From now on I will just visit each forum individually.
Very soon I am upgrading to my new computer and I suspect that will fix everything. Although we’ve had it for so many years it is now an old model.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #16
webmaster

Exclamation

After a few months of frustration hearing about this problem I finally was able to observe it today on one of the computers here at work.

In a short time I was able to narrow it down to the "Weather at the Lake" module that appeared in the left column of the home page. When I deactivated that module there was no more redirection to the editoptions page on that computer.

Why this module caused the problem on some computers and not others is still a mystery but I left it deactivated until I can investigate further.

Sorry that it took so long to fix this but this is the first time I've been able to recreate it.

Don
Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
NightWing

I "came home" when I logged on a few minutes ago. I was pleasantly surprised!

Whatever you did fixed it! Thanks!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #18
Rattlesnake Gal

Talking Nice!

Thanks Don! It was nice to see your home page with that little fellow in the sailboat waving again.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #19
webmaster

Could those of you that were having the problem please try this test page:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/index.php?pageid=testpage

1. Can you view it without being redirected?

2. Can you see the "Weather at the Lake" module below the menu in the left column?

I think I've fixed the problem with the Weather at the Lake module but I want to verify that before I add it back in to the home page and other pages on the site.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #20
wifi

I didn't notice the problem, but clicked on the link to see what happened, and this is what I got.
Attached Images

wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #21
webmaster

Could wifi or someone else who was having the redirect problem try it again?

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/index.php?pageid=testpage

Can you now see the "Weather at the Lake" module below the menu in the left column?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #22
wifi

Default Yes :)

It loads fine now, no problems.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #23
webmaster

Whew, thanks wifi for being my tester. These problems can be hard to fix when I can't recreate them on my computer.

I'm going to add the module back into the main home page. If anyone else sees any more problems please post it here.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #24
wifi

Default Thanks go you you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Whew, thanks wifi for being my tester. These problems can be hard to fix when I can't recreate them on my computer......
I certainly understand your pain being in a similiar business Our (especially my) thanks go to you for providing us all with this website and your hard work.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!
Old 11-28-2008, 10:37 PM   #25
RI Swamp Yankee

Just discovered today that I can get to the home page ok now.

Weather at the Lake
You need to upgrade your Flash Player to view this content

I don't have flash player so I see the above.

Happy "Day after Thankgiving"