Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
Rinkerfam

Default Photo question

I have a photo that I'd like to insert into a new post. The problem is that the file is too big to be accepted. How do I handle this? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
trfour

Post In The Site Support Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkerfam View Post
I have a photo that I'd like to insert into a new post. The problem is that the file is too big to be accepted. How do I handle this? Thanks in advance for any help.
This should help you.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...6551#post46551

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default a little work

Depending on what you have on your computer to work with photos, you can resize the photo, making it smaller (3" x 5") for instance. You may also be able to change the resolution by adjusting the "JPG" setting (JPG is the file typ for a JPEG file that most of us use to email photos, post photos, etc). And you may be able to save the file to "web", which really cuts down on the file size.

I have Adobe PhotoElements, and can work very nicely with pictures. Realize that a photo to fit into this frame that I am typing on doesn't have to be much wider than 5 inches to fill this frame. After adjusting the size, click on "file" then go to "Save as", and you will be able to save the newly sized photo (rename it xxxxxxx2) or some other name from the original. Perhaps when you go to save this new picture, it will also let you select the JPG option, low or medium or high or maximum. I would select "medium" and hopefully that will allow you to post your picture. If you can "save to web", that will be even better, but not a necessary thing.

Good Luck.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
dpg

Are you talking about the file size to big to handle or size as in dimension size?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
jeffk

Default Faststone Image Resizer - Nice tool (Free)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkerfam View Post
This link is in the other thread (I believe SteveA posted it) but you have to search around a bit for it.
FastStone-Photo-Resizer
Faststone also has an image viewer. Both very nice tools.
For the resizer, shrinking the pixel resolution will shrink the file size at the same time. From the initial resizer screen navigate to your photo and then select the "advanced options" button. Then click the "Pick a standard size button" and pick a pixel resolution. I have found that 800x600 usually gets the file small enough (pixel resolution and file size) to include in a forum post. You may want to specify an "output folder" so that files can be converted without overwriting the original. Then hit the "Start" button.

This is obviously a simplfied walk through of the Resizer but its pretty easy to use. Lots of options and choices if you want to get into it more.

The photopost section is much more generous in the resolution/file size allowed.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links