Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Old Sarge

Default Bilge pump cycling every 2 1/2 minutes?

I was cleaning up my boat today and kept hearing a "servo motor" sound cycling every 2 1/2 minutes. It lasts for about a second or so. I checked and the main battery switch was off. All the other switches at the helm are off. I figured it must be an automatic bilge pump. We purchased the boat new last April. We used it all summer last year and never heard the bilge pump come on once. We stored the boat at Irwin's last year. I know they disconnect the batteries during the winter and maybe it just wasn't hooked up last year and this year it got connected? My concern is we don't use the boat every day and this thing will be cycling every couple of minutes, will it run down the battery? Anyone with experience with these pumps? I do have a call into Irwin's, waiting to hear...

Last edited by Old Sarge; 04-25-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
NH_boater

it is running properly and draws very little juice. Many people, like myself, replace this design to one that uses a float and only comes on when there is enough water in the bilge to trip it.

Many folks use this type with no issue.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
Dave R

I did some calculations for a friend of mine and the pump can run like that for 12+ weeks without draining the typical boat starting battery, unless it's pumping water. If it has to keep pumping water, it can kill the battery much more quickly.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-25-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Test it

I'd get a hose, add some water to the bilge and see if the pump turns on/off automatically and otherwise operates as advertised. Does the bilge pump switch have a manual/auto position? Again, try both positions with added water.

It seems unusual that the very short cycle time you describe would be a properly operating bilge pump. I used to have a dripping stuffing box. The pump waited for enough drips, then ran for 30 seconds or so, then shut off. No problem, just tighten the stuffing box as needed.

Were there any accessories added by a previous owner that may have bypassed the fuse panel and tapped into power someplace else? I'm thinking a head or water pressure system or windshield wiper. Anything with a small servo/motor. My car had a CD player that made that sort of noise every so often. Caused by inserting two CD's into the changer where only one was intended.

Oops. Missed that OP is the first owner.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
CL 240 LS

Default Rule pump?

Sounds like a sensor type like this.

An internal computer chip cycles these pumps on every 2.5 minutes, then quickly shuts them down if no water is detected. Built-in strainer bases snap off to make cleaning easy. Completely submersible, rust-proof, corrosion-proof and ignition-protected. Three-way wiring enables connection to a switch for manual override or indicator light. Small 500gph pump is designed to handle spray and rainwater.

Built-In Switch: Yes, cycles every 2.5 min.
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CL 240 LS For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-26-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
Blue Thunder

Default As they say....

You learn something new every day....
Old 04-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
Old Sarge

Default Rule bilge pump

Ok Guys, it is a Rule 1100 GPH automatic/manual bilge pump. It is controlled by a computer chip as CL 240 S wrote. It pulse starts the impeller to test resistance and if it finds none it shuts down. Supposedly it can be controlled manually with a switch on the helm. I have a switch marked bilge. It is a two position rocker switch. But I think the battery has to be on and it only starts or stops the bilge running (so if it is off it will do the cycle thing). I was hoping I might be able to stop the automatic operation, but I don't think this will be possible. (The snow has kept me out of the boat as it is covered up so I can't test the theory). I think I will have to live with it like this or go to a float pump (don't know if this is such a good idea).

I went to the Stingray site and accessed the Rule owners manual. Damn if you couldn't write another manual of what they leave out (LOL)!

Funny I didn't hear it last year! I think will test as Descant suggested if it ever warms up !
Old 04-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
winni83

I have this pump in my Whaler. It is wired to a 3 position switch at the helm. Right is manual - it operates as long as the switch is held to the right; middle is off - the pump will not operate at all; left is auto - it does the 2 or 3 minute cycle.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
Ok Guys, it is a Rule 1100 GPH automatic/manual bilge pump. It is controlled by a computer chip as CL 240 S wrote. It pulse starts the impeller to test resistance and if it finds none it shuts down. Supposedly it can be controlled manually with a switch on the helm. I have a switch marked bilge. It is a two position rocker switch. But I think the battery has to be on and it only starts or stops the bilge running (so if it is off it will do the cycle thing). I was hoping I might be able to stop the automatic operation, but I don't think this will be possible. (The snow has kept me out of the boat as it is covered up so I can't test the theory). I think I will have to live with it like this or go to a float pump (don't know if this is such a good idea).

I went to the Stingray site and accessed the Rule owners manual. Damn if you couldn't write another manual of what they leave out (LOL)!

Funny I didn't hear it last year! I think will test as Descant suggested if it ever warms up !
Buy a float switch and wire it like this:

It will only go into automatic mode when the helm switch is set to auto AND the float switch is triggered, OR when the helm switch is set to on.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #10
Old Sarge

Default Tested

Ok, so I tested the bilge pump and it works fine. I have found that there is no way with the current set up to take the system out of automatic. There is only a two position rocker switch on the panel. When this is set to off it goes to automatic. The Stingray site says that if the boat is not used for six weeks it will still have over 12.4 volts (enough to start the engine). So I guess I will live with it this season and then consider a 3 position switch for next year. Thanks for all the input guys, I have found that the Winni Forum is the "go to" place for all things boating and I appreciate it!