Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
Twox48

Default Buying/registering a boat in NH?

I'm in the market to upgrade my 19ft boat and had a question.
I live in MA but will register my new boat in NH as I own a cottage & slip on Lake Winni and that's where my boat will "live" 7 months of the year. I know that this is no problem as I have done so for a few years with no troubles.

My question is, if I purchase a boat from a private party in NH and register it in NH, there will be no sales tax to be paid, correct? (I'm sure that the state of MA would want a cut if they can get it. )I just want to be sure as adding that cost will definitely cut into my budgeted purchase price and I don't want any "surprise" fees.
Are there any fees other than the registration that I need to know about?
Thanks in advance.

PS: I do know that I'll have to resister my trailer in MA and will have to pay MA sales tax to do that, but the trailer is only a mere fraction of the cost therefore not a big deal.
Twox48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

The State of NH will not collect any sales tax if that is your question. NH boat reg fee is it for NH.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
rowinghelmet

You can also register your trailer in Maine w/Maine Tags (http://www.mainetags.com/) to avoid the high costs of registering in Mass. It's only $125 for a 5 year registration. It's perfectly legal and insurance will still cover your trailer.
rowinghelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Is that why so many 53' van and flat bed trailers seem to have a Maine license plate?
Old 09-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
DickR

It has been my understanding that you can register the trailer also in NH, with restrictions, but thus without incurring the MA sales tax on the trailer. I did that for years. The only restriction I know of is that you can't have the trailer out of NH overnight. This was not a problem for me, as the boat and trailer always remained in NH.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2015, 07:21 PM   #6
SAB1

Technically if you plan to store the NH registered boat in Mass during the off season it is taxable event in Mass. It does not matter if the boat is in the water or on land. I can't imagine you would ever caught though unless your neighbor doesn't like you
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
Twox48

I like the idea of registering the trailer in Maine but what about a title? The trailer would be a 2009 with 9500# GVWR. I assume it has a current NH Title but possibly has a MA title. Would I get a Maine title? I wonder what implications I'll run into if I try to sell the trailer in the future?
I think I need to do some research!

SAB1, I know that if there's a way for MA to collect a dime they will impose a law to do so!
Old 09-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Flotnjr

Default Trailer Title in Maine

In order to register your trailer in NH, you need to own property in NH. You can have your NH title have your Mass address, but as somebody else mentioned, it does have to "live" in NH. If you don't own property in NH, then you might be out of luck. As far as Maine goes, I'm not exactly sure of anything other than they will only title a trailer that weighs 3,000lbs or more. If the GVWR is 9,800, but the trailer weighs under 3,000, then you will not get a Maine title, just a registration. I would hold onto the title you have, just in case. Good Luck!
Flotnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:54 PM   #9
Island Girl

Default Bill of Sale

Make sure the bill of sale lists the trailer separately... better yet two bills of sale, one for the boat and one for the trailer.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:02 AM   #10
Donzi Minx

Smile Boat / Trailer Registration

I bought the Minx in Florida, had it transported up to my home in Melrose, promptly registered the trailer with Mass tags, but put the NH bow numbers on the boat. Never paid the sales tax to Mass on the boat, as I knew I only did fresh water boating on Winni. Store both at Dave's for a 6 month nap. Geeez I should be careful what I say here, my picture is in every Post Office in Mass!
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
Twox48

I understand the boat part. There's no issue with registering it in NH as it will be used only in NH. My current boat is registered this way. When asked, NHMP said either MA or NH reg is legal however they prefer to see NH bow numbers as it can take a while to get answers back on a MA reg at times.

According to some research, to register the trailer in Maine,all I need is a previous title signed over to me and a bill of sale with the standard required info. Sales tax will be paid to state of Maine. No new title is issued for trailer weighing under 3000lbs.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:19 AM   #12
Kamper

Unless/until you register the boat in Mass you won't have to pay Mass tax. This doesn't apply to you but if a person were to use a NH boat in MA (or other states') waters beyond a certain period you will have to register it there also. In NH that period is 3 months, Florida is 6 months and those are the only two I know of.

I have been told but do not know for a fact that non-residents in these circumstances only pay the registration charges. In MA you would probably take the full hit.

There are several people that I know who only register their boat in one state but only use it in a different state. This does not appear to be a major issue for most water cops. On "The Hull Truth" members have had reported some issues in NJ & MD when towing a boat on a trailer registered in those states where the boat was registered out of state. A 'bug bra' over the numbers would probably have avoided those situations.

Good luck with your new boat search!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
Twox48 (10-02-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #13
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Is that why so many 53' van and flat bed trailers seem to have a Maine license plate?
Yes it is.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote