Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
Winnisquamer

Default Lake draw down

I know usually they draw down the lakes on even numbered years (Opechee, Ossipee, Suncook, Winnisquam, etc) However I read in the paper today half a dozen lakes in the region would be drawn down again this year approximately 5 feet around October 12th.

Does anyone have any information or could point some of us in the right direction on what the details are? Don't want to see anyone's boats get stuck, or for anyone who would like to do some rock removal/ clean up around docks it would be a good time for it.

Thanks!
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
Water Camper

Default NH.gov

You can go to the www.nh.gov site and under News and Events you will see State Announces its 2015 Fall Drawdown of Lakes. Click on this link to get the details.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Water Camper For This Useful Post:
diz (09-08-2015), Winnisquamer (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Found this information in the link

Not included in this schedule is Lake Winnipesaukee. Unlike the other lakes in this schedule, Lake Winnipesaukee is not purposely drawn down in the fall. Instead, each year on Columbus Day, the releases from Lakeport Dam are reduced from a normal minimum of 250 cubic feet per second (cfs) to a flow between 30 and 50 cfs for a period of up to two weeks to allow for maintenance of the dams and hydropower facilities on the Winnipesaukee River. The flow of 30 to 50 cfs is the minimum flow needed to maintain the downstream aquatic life during this period. For a short period this year the rate will be increased to fill Opechee as soon as the work is done removing the contaminated soil by the shore.

By the middle of the fall, Lake Winnipesaukee is, on average, 15 inches below its springtime full level due to evaporation and releases from the lake that have occurred over the course of the summer. As a result of the reduction in the amount of water released from the dam after Columbus Day, the lake level does not drop for the remainder of the month of October and is generally maintained at this level through the month of December. Depending on the amount of snow on the ground in the winter, the lake level may be lowered further beginning in January to a depth of two feet below the normal full level.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
jbolty (09-09-2015), Resident 2B (09-08-2015), Shortstop (09-09-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
8gv

Cruising through the channel at Weirs recently, I think I saw the depth gauge indicate about 12" below "full lake". Am I to understand that it will drop a few more inches to 15" in the next few weeks? Or, does the current level indicate that Lake Winni will be even lower this year?

My outdrive wants to know :-)
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Cruising through the channel at Weirs recently, I think I saw the depth gauge indicate about 12" below "full lake". Am I to understand that it will drop a few more inches to 15" in the next few weeks? Or, does the current level indicate that Lake Winni will be even lower this year?

My outdrive wants to know :-)

I hear ya. At my dock I currently have about 6"-8" of water under the rudder of my V-drive. Any lower and it will be the end of the season early for me, unless I feel like gambling a prop of course.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
AC2717

I spoke to the marina yesterday when dropping off my boat as it was a sad day for us in doing so but child sports take precedence.
He stated that almost 40 customers that usually have their boat in much later had either dropped off or called for pickup because they could not get into their docks or on their lifts
Old 09-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
phoenix

yes usually we have about three feet of bare sand . will see in two weeks
Old 09-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #8
DRH

Default Bizer's Website Indicates Winnipesaukee Lake Level is Fine

According to Bizer's website (www.bizer.com), as of 9/10/15 the lake level is only fractionally lower than the norm for this time of year.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
Oletimer

Default Question

I apologize for asking this question re new posting but I don't know or see any place on Forum to begin a new post. Is there some place to click to open a new post form in order to type a message post? I don't see any instructions for how to begin or open the forum for a new message from the Webmaster.

Many thanks and again my apology for interrupting this thread.
Oletimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Look at the top of the web page...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletimer View Post
I apologize for asking this question re new posting but I don't know or see any place on Forum to begin a new post. Is there some place to click to open a new post form in order to type a message post? I don't see any instructions for how to begin or open the forum for a new message from the Webmaster.

Many thanks and again my apology for interrupting this thread.
At the top of the webpage is a list of links to various parts of the site, including "Forums". Click on Forums which will give you the list of the various forums on the site. Select the Forum you want to start a new post. At the top of that forum is a button for starting a "new thread".

Hope that helps
Oletimer (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #11
JPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
At the top of that forum is a button for starting a "new thread".

Hope that helps
At the top right is a button that reads "Forum Tools". Click that and select "Start a new thread".

Hope that helps.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JPC For This Useful Post:
Oletimer (09-11-2015)