Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
spotsink

Question Ice Fishing 101

Is there anyone who might offer advice to a novice ice fisherman? Never tried it, don't know anything about it... but am interested in learning the how and why of ice fishing

Probably won't have a bob house right off, just looking to learn the mechanics of the sport - basic equipment, do's and don'ts, helpful hints...

I figure this might give rise to a lively discussion here...
spotsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
fatlazyless

I use a manual hand-turned ice auger as opposed to a gasoline engine auger and the hand-turn auger works very well for me. It cost about $40.00 and can drill through 6" of ice in one minute. Drilling through 16" could take maybe four-five minutes.

The self rescue ice pick-grips are a good thing to have if & when you break through the ice like I have. Your hands freeze fast when they get wet and you lose the individual use of your fingers but can still make a grip. Having the ice grips can make a difference and cost about eight dollars.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

In addition to your fishing gear and bait,you'll need;
1-20 year old snowmobile
1-30 pak of Bud
2-cans Skoal
1 large dog
1 boombox
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
T.H.E. Binz

Default Ice Fishing 101

If you just go to A.J.'s in Meredith, I'm sure he can explain things to you and outfit you with whatever you need. In my opinion, the most important item is a pair of well insulated boots!
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:26 AM   #5
spotsink

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks to all for the info and pointers. With this recent warm spell I guess I'll have lots of time to research the sport before being able to venture out on the ice... Hope we get some solid cold weather soon!
spotsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #6
GusMan

Default Ice fishing 101......

Spotsink....

I don't ice fish up at Winnipesaukee, otherwise I'd gladly invite you out and show the basics of ice fishing! If you're from Massachusetts, give me a shout and either I will take you out or I'll hook you up with some folks that would gladly let you tag along with them.

Actually.... I'd be lost icefishing a lake like winnie... even though I've fished in in the summer *tons* of times, I've never targeted smallies, white perch, rainbows or lakers through the ice.

Here's a great website that has a ton of info about icefishing (and a bunch of characters that the sport seems to attract)....

http://www.iceshanty.com

Here's another suggestion.... take a walk out on the ice and talk to a few groups of fisherman... tell them you want to learn about icefishing... you'll get a ton of info... a bunch of tall tales... and probably a free beer and some great ice fishing chow... (think venison, chili, burgers, ribs... you know... all that healthy stuff!!).

Really... ice fishermen are some of the nicest (and perhaps craziest!) people you'll ever meet.

Cheers... and think cold weather!

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
JTA

Default No salmon

Salmon are not legal through the ice. Also, when you are done, take your ice hole with you. That way you'll have it ready for next year.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote